• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 5 crosses the line at No.4; Call of Duty holds No. 1 | UK Boxed Charts

Woopah

Japan is the same narrative driven in the opposite form :D

They try to ignore digital sales in Japan threads... and here in UK threads they try to ignore physical sales.

Both are relevant and required to get the overall picture.
I wouldn't say it's completely the opposite. Japan threads get their fair share of "physical doesn't matter" posts as well.

Lognor

Banned
I'm not sure what weird narrative you are trying to create here because digital sales doesn't make physical sales irrelevant.

In any case we don't have digital for the second week yet but...

Physical: ~96.2k (~$6 million)
Digital: ~244.2k (~15 million)

BTW that is only CoD.
So digital dwarfs physical. Got it.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
When you consider how you can decently accurately poll a national election using only a couple thousand people (when done right) I think the physical sales of millions of games can give us a good picture of what and where people are buying.

This is a large enough sample size of gamers that any deviation from the digital side would be miniscule most likely.

Chukhopops

When you consider how you can decently accurately poll a national election using only a couple thousand people (when done right) I think the physical sales of millions of games can give us a good picture of what and where people are buying.

This is a large enough sample size of gamers that any deviation from the digital side would be miniscule most likely.
But it’s a selected sample, not a random one. It would be like making an election poll and then only polling 60 yr old people or single women.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
But it’s a selected sample, not a random one. It would be like making an election poll and then only polling 60 yr old people or single women.
So only a certain type of person buys physical? Series X has a disc drive too. They both have 1 physical model and one digital one. They both have store fronts and obviously prefer people pay there so they can't resell. There's nothing more on Xbox encouraging people to buy digital. So what reason would I have to believe it's any different?

I get the country thing because of Fifa and stuff being more popular in Europe but keep in mind this is also Xbox's second largest market so if anything that would skew the data in their favor compared to the rest of the world.

Metnut

I’m impressed that it even made the chart. Figured anyone interested in the game would have Gamepass. Not interested in this game, or Series X (at least until the single player RPGs are out), but by all indications this game is a popular hit so the sales metrics aren’t really too important for something like this. Games like FIFA and COD that filthy casuals love dominated these charts.

Not really on-topic but happy to see SMT5 show up on the chart too.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Actually it is not the same thing.
People that buys physical are no different from these that buys digital.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
So it is irrelevant :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
You are a parody lol
Not irrelevant. But doesn't show the whole picture. If you wye looking at this you would think the ps5 was doing very poorly in the uk since there are no ps5 exclusive titles in the top ten. This chart doesn't even show the split by platform.

ethomaz

Banned
Not irrelevant. But doesn't show the whole picture. If you wye looking at this you would think the ps5 was doing very poorly in the uk since there are no ps5 exclusive titles in the top ten. This chart doesn't even show the split by platform.
So what is your point exactly? You did quote me because I laughed about people "it is irrelevant" narrative.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
So why did you quoted me when I laughed about people saying it is "irrelevant"?
And where did I say physical sales were irrelevant? You're reading into something that's not there. We know based on what you provided that physical sales make up a small fraction of total software sales. So digital is much more relevant, you would agree.

ethomaz

Banned

Chukhopops

So only a certain type of person buys physical? Series X has a disc drive too. They both have 1 physical model and one digital one. They both have store fronts and obviously prefer people pay there so they can't resell. There's nothing more on Xbox encouraging people to buy digital. So what reason would I have to believe it's any different?

I get the country thing because of Fifa and stuff being more popular in Europe but keep in mind this is also Xbox's second largest market so if anything that would skew the data in their favor compared to the rest of the world.
There is a bias in physical vs digital obviously, otherwise all games would have the same ratio of physical/digital and we already know that’s not the case.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
There is a bias in physical vs digital obviously, otherwise all games would have the same ratio of physical/digital and we already know that’s not the case.
Capcom and other reports seem in line with this data and AFAIK that's worldwide including digital

Chukhopops

Capcom and other reports seem in line with this data and AFAIK that's worldwide including digital
Nintendo has barely crossed 50% digital last year.
FIFA games are at 77% digital this year.
And of course PC games are now so close to 100% that most games aren’t even sold in stores.

Every brand and publisher transitions to Digital but at different paces.

Dr Bass

I wondered how this would look, cause I genuinely wonder if we should even care to look at the physical #'s since Microsoft is pushing people towards digital/gamepass more than ever. I don't even know if I've seen an advertisement from them about actually buying the boxed version of Forza(Yet the email I have tied to my Xbox/MS Account has received like 20 ads over the past month to download it on gamepass).

Like does it matter anymore? Genuine question
Well sales would matter in that they contribute to revenue. I don't think 80% drop in physical sales is "good" unless they are completely offset by digital sales, which of course would actually be better for the publisher because, in this case, MS would keep more of the money. But the entire argument against GP has been they will discourage sales and thereby lead to lower revenue and make developing big games not sustainable unless you subsidize, blah blah blah. It's been repeated often on this board so no need to go into it.

The only thing you can really conclude is that physical sales for the game are down from the previous entry. That's literally it. But I do think it points to GP being a bigger factor than it was when FH4 was released.

jakinov

MorXMOF.jpg
HE'S MY DADDY

Lognor

Banned
Man you disputed my laugh “irrelevant” claim and I proved it was not the case and you are here yet with the narrative lol
I disputed your laugh irrelevant claim? WTF does that even mean? LOL.

I asked for clarification and you provided it. Digital sales makes up a small fraction of the total software sales. You can move on now and not continue to feel triggered by my question.

Forza Horizon 5 on release day lost to a 2017 Nintendo game (animal crossing) is not good man

And i saw mario party and mario kart deluxe there

Arent those old game? Holy shit nintendo are stronk in UK now
No need for your fake concern. Digital sales and gamepass plays not included.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

As a gamepass subscribers you get discounts and rewards for buying digital on the xbox site so there kinda is an incentive to buy digital on xbox.

Bodomism

Banned
Japan is the same narrative driven in the opposite form :D

They try to ignore digital sales in Japan threads... and here in UK threads they try to ignore physical sales.

Both are relevant and required to get the overall picture.
People didn't dismissed the sales of physical sales in the UK thread but many had argued it doesn't represent a complete picture of the real ranking of the games on the chart as there are many examples of the games with high digital sales that could change the ranking placement.

While in Japan, digital sales are minuscule in comparison to physical sales that it's nearly pointless to argue the placement of the titles as digital sales wouldn't even change the ranking order to the slightest.

The only narrative here is some people are trying to dismiss the importance of digital sales in the UK while doing the opposite in Japan sales thread.

ethomaz

Banned
People didn't dismissed the sales of physical sales in the UK thread but many had argued it doesn't represent a complete picture of the real ranking of the games on the chart as there are many examples of the games with high digital sales that could change the ranking placement.

While in Japan, digital sales are minuscule in comparison to physical sales that it's nearly pointless to argue the placement of the titles as digital sales wouldn't even change the ranking order to the slightest.

The only narrative here is some people are trying to dismiss the importance of digital sales in the UK while doing the opposite in Japan sales thread.
Yeap… how you reached that conclusion with people narrative in this thread saying PHYSICAL is IRRELEVANT lol

I can’t even know if you are really trying to be serious.

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
Last year physical and digital sales split.
geCqNrd_d.webp

Sony digital sales are surprisingly at the bottom end of the boxed/digital split, So if their games performed badly on the physical chart then it's safe to say tge digital sales wouldn't be able to help that much.

Last edited:
Forza 5 is probably my AAA game of the year, followed closely by Far Cry 6, so I’m glad to hear they both done well so far. They might be sequels but they are just pure fun to play!

Bodomism

Banned
wake up call for those thinking Xbox doesn't have a high digital split, higher than Sony's and there is no doubt about it.
The same narrative is happening in Japanese sales thread but in opposite direction with physical sales being downplayed.

Digital sales made up around 66% of the total video games sales in the UK last year but some people here in UK sales thread are still unable to comprehend the reality.

Mr Moose

Looks like Gamepass didn't kill software sales after all. Mild shock!
This shitty CoD isn't on GamePass.
geCqNrd_d.webp

Sony digital sales are surprisingly at the bottom end of the boxed/digital split, So if their games performed badly on the physical chart then it's safe to say tge digital sales wouldn't be able to help that much.
MicroSofts game is only 33.9% (good).

Fuck the digital future *strokes discs*

MonarchJT

Banned
It's funny how only "certain" people keep pushing for less data to be known for the public.
is okay to post retail data. But if someone tries to pass them off as relevant to understand the general trend of the game on all platforms, well they are probably using the least relevant data today.

Last edited:

Woopah

I'm being serious with what I said and with the data I posted.

But keep the physical is irrelevant narrative lol
I'm glad you see the value in physical sales and have always thought they are relevant

The Japan physical only ranking is irrelevant... that is pretty evident.
That should not be fair I guess... you are excluding games just because it doesn't have a physical release?
And people that have a PS5 DE and are buying games?

I mean NPD at least started to fix that... GFK same... Famitsu is still not doing it so it is becoming more irrelevant with the digital push made by COVID-19.
79% digital is really hurting physical trackers.
And people on Famitsu thread keep denying the digital push with COVID-19 is real even on Japan.
Basically it making any physical tracker useless.

oh wait...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
geCqNrd_d.webp

Monopoly Plus! A game that came out in 2014.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
What's funny is people building narratives around a small subset of misleading data and then complaining when other people don't take it seriously.

Then the answer to that, is to state that it's only a subset of data and that it's an incomplete picture. Not requesting the banning of posting the subset of data in general.

geCqNrd_d.webp

I don't think this picture shows what you think it does. In fact...it only shows the lack of Xbox games overall.
I don't see a single Xbox exclusive in there and Nintendo doesn't reveal their digital sales. So how can you compare them with Playstation?

In fact the only new mainly story-driven game in there released last year outside of PS exclusives is The Avengers, it also has a similar split and it also came out on Xbox.
Jedi Fallen Order isn't far behind. In fact...Ghost of Tsushima had a bigger digital split than Fallen or The Avengers.

Again...not really a great way to compare anything.

Top Bottom