• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 4 - How do you actually drift turn?

I need some help. Loving this game at the moment but I'm following the track lines and I end up in last place half the time. I can never turn as sharp as the turns are and slam into walls, or end up going too slow and everyone passes me.

Are you tapping brake and holding all the way over on the left stick?

Are you slowing down and just taking the turn at the correct speed?

Are you letting go of gas, then tapping brake, then hitting gas again?

Are you using the emergency brake?

Teach me!

Nickolaidas

Banned
I need some help. Loving this game at the moment but I'm following the track lines and I end up in last place half the time. I can never turn as sharp as the turns are and slam into walls, or end up going too slow and everyone passes me.

Are you tapping brake and holding all the way over on the left stick?

Are you slowing down and just taking the turn at the correct speed?

Are you letting go of gas, then tapping brake, then hitting gas again?

Are you using the emergency brake?

Teach me!
Holy shit - I just installed this game on my PC via game pass and wanted to post the same question!

Could be front/rear differential, speed and turn radius, minor tweaks, etc. There are plenty of guides on how to tune your car, to allow tighter turns, etc. Try out HokiHoshi on YouTube

Punished Miku Punished Miku i had to edit my post, had the wrong YouTuber. If you'd like, I can probably get online later on this afternoon and help you out a little?

Last edited:

CeeJay

If you are just following the suggested lines, accelerating and braking when it tells you to then you will be slow. They are good for giving a rough idea of the line but shouldn't be followed religiously.

Also, are you tuning your cars from standard?

Last edited:
Could be front/rear differential, speed and turn radius, minor tweaks, etc. There are plenty of guides on how to tune your car, to allow tighter turns, etc. Try out HokiHoshi on YouTube

Punished Miku Punished Miku i had to edit my post, had the wrong YouTuber. If you'd like, I can probably get online later on this afternoon and help you out a little?

I'll check out the video. I dont know when I'm free for online gaming so mostly just looking for some tips on what to do on the actual controller as far as the literal button presses people are using when hitting turns well.

But you're right that I haven't touched my customization stuff at all since I wouldn't know what to do with it.

If you are just following the suggested lines, accelerating and braking when it tells you to then you will be slow. They are good for giving a rough idea of the line but shouldn't be followed religiously.

Also, are you tuning your cars from standard?
I just have the two first cars so maybe they just suck. I havent tuned my cars at all.

Last edited:

Rossco EZ

use manual gears as you can brake faster by down shifting (down shift as you are braking *dont just downshift and expect to stop:messenger_grinning_smiling:*) for corners.

literally just drive around in free roam for a bit and get used to the game, make your own little race by settings a way point from 1 side of the map to the other and just get a feel for whatever car you are driving.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
I'm not sure I understand your question but I'll try to.
You have problems with normal driving and corners or drifting for points? For the former I use suggested lines for breaking and they're usually spot on, but sometimes they're wrong. In any case, if you're just starting the game you're probably playing with poor cars.
After a while you'll get better cars and more money. Each and every car is better if you apply custom tunes from the backstage/festival.
Just pick a car, go to the festival, find custom tunes and pick either one with 5 stars or one you like in a class you want if you need it for something specific.
I've started forza horizon 4 in January and now I'm at around 730 cars in a garage with 76 hours of playtime. I was lost at the beginning, couldn't win many races etc but after some practice you'll be much better.
I still yuck at drifting though, so if you need help with that look elsewhere. All I could tell you is thist there are some cars which are good at drifting and some which are not. Also, turn off abs, traction control for better drifting and if you're brave enough, use manual gears. If you need anything else regarding the game feel free to @me or dm me.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
If you have a front wheel drive car, all wheel drive car, or a slower car that lacks torque in general then drifting is going to be difficult. Also if you have assists like stability control and traction control turned on then regardless of the car and its power you're going to find drifting more difficult to pull off.

As a general guide drifting is not the fastest way around a corner when racing on road. Get most of your braking done in a straight line, turn in while gradually applying throttle and then power out.

For off-road races then you can drift around corners more easily but you will still need to get most of your braking done on the approach to the corner if you want to be fast. For a drift to be initiated the balance of the car needs to be upset when you are applying the throttle.

CeeJay

I just have the two first cars so maybe they just suck. I havent tuned my cars at all.
In the races look at the cars that those who win are generally using and go after buying those cars first. You can download tunes that others have created and shared. Set filters to what you are after and search, try loads of different tunes and chances are you will find a tuner that you like who has shared a lot of tunes for a lot of different cars. You don't have to tune every car yourself

If you have a front wheel drive car, all wheel drive car, or a slower car that lacks torque in general then drifting is going to be difficult. Also if you have assists like stability control and traction control turned on then regardless of the car and its power you're going to find drifting more difficult to pull off.

As a general guide drifting is not the fastest way around a corner when racing on road. Get most of your braking done in a straight line, turn in while gradually applying throttle and then power out.

For off-road races then you can drift around corners more easily but you will still need to get most of your braking done on the approach to the corner if you want to be fast. For a drift to be initiated the balance of the car needs to be upset when you are applying the throttle.
Thats helping a lot already. I'll keep working on it.

nivix

Neo Member
If you're trying to win a race, don't drift. Remember that fast is slow, and slow is fast. Reduce speed as you approach the turn, come in wide, do not break during the turn, hit the accelerator at the apex, and fly out of the turn.

More importantly than any of that though, grab the best tune for the class that you're trying to compete in. Lower classes are recommended when starting out. Also,other people's tunes are just fine. Experiment with your own as you get more experience and/or want to try some fiddling.

Good luck.

Not many people mention Limited Slip Differential - install a full differential to all of your cars, tuning it can greatly affect a car's handling.

A simple breakdown of the meaning behind the differential's values. First, picture your car taking a right hand corner:

Higher value numbers mean that the tire on the outside (left) is set to be able to spin faster than the tire on the inside (right) of the car during the corner. This gives the car more rotation but makes it easier to lose control.
Lower values mean that the outside (left) tire is set closer to spinning at the same speed as the inside (right) tire. This causes the car to understeer (harder to turn) but gives a car more stability.

You can apply these settings so that they affect the car while on the brakes or while accelerating separately. I recommended playing with them.
If the car doesn't slide into the corner enough, increase the brake differential, if it slides into the corner too much, lower the brake diff. If the car doesn't slide through or coming out of a corner, increase the acceleration diff. If it slides too much during or coming out of the corner, decrease the accel diff.

For a personal reference, if I have a hard to control, rear wheel drive car, I'd have the acceleration differential set to between 12% - 15% and brake diff between 25-30%, but that's for racing grip, not drifting.

Last edited:
Longtime Forza drifter. From Forza Motorsport 4 to Forza Motorsport 6, I completed zero online races, and last time I checked still held I believe 6 individual drift records from various tracks across various releases.

Forza Horizon 4 (All FH actually) use a simplified physics and handling system of the Forza Motorsport series. Drifting in Forza Horizon is like riding a bike with training wheels in comparison. Seeing as you're new to it, I'll give you some tips that others may have mentioned already.

• The beginning cars usually are a bit low on horsepower to drift easily with. So remember to have patience as the more power you eventually get access to by either modding the car you have or by buying a new car altogether, will make drifting much easier.

• The first things that you absolutely need to check are a few settings before you try and drift. Traction Control, and Stability Control must be off, and your shifting method should be manual. You can choose to shift w/clutch, but that's a whole different can of worms so I'd save that for later. ABS can be turned off as well, but it's by no means mandatory. When first starting out, using third person is far easier than using first person view.

• It's important that you know if your car is front, rear, or all wheel drive. If your car is front wheel drive, you'll need to change it. If you can afford tons of horsepower, you can be just like Ken Block and drift all wheel drive cars. It takes practice, and tons of e-brake, but opens all sorts of doors so to speak when it comes to drifting.

• The vast amount of people will probably start drifting using rear wheel drive cars. How easy it is depends on the car, tuning, and horsepower. Drifting via rear wheel drive has a higher point ceiling vs AWD.

• Without literally writing a novel about various tuning techniques, weight distribution, and overall drifting technique. The best advice I can give you is to simply find some open space, and have at it. While it might seem ridiculous, no two people drift exactly alike. So any single person trying to give you a step by step lesson will ultimately result in you beating your head against a wall trying to do something that feels foreign to you. Go watch some Dukes of Hazard, or Smokey and the Bandit, or maybe FF Tokyo Drift, and then try to emulate it. Assuming you've driven a real car before, basic steering into or out of a drift should feel somewhat natural. Starting off in the snow or on dirt can help. Once you can swing your car back and forth a few times without spinning out, move on to pavement. Early on, your best friend will be the e-brake.

If you've got any specific questions, all ya gotta do is ask. Good luck!

Not many people mention Limited Slip Differential - install a full differential to all of your cars, tuning it can greatly affect a car's handling.

A simple breakdown of the meaning behind the differential's values. First, picture your car taking a right hand corner:

Higher value numbers mean that the tire on the outside (left) is set to be able to spin faster than the tire on the inside (right) of the car during the corner. This gives the car more rotation but makes it easier to lose control.
Lower values mean that the outside (left) tire is set closer to spinning at the same speed as the inside (right) tire. This causes the car to understeer (harder to turn) but gives a car more stability.

You can apply these settings so that they affect the car while on the brakes or while accelerating separately. I recommended playing with them.
If the car doesn't slide into the corner enough, increase the brake differential, if it slides into the corner too much, lower the brake diff. If the car doesn't slide through or coming out of a corner, increase the acceleration diff. If it slides too much during or coming out of the corner, decrease the accel diff.

For a personal reference, if I have a hard to control, rear wheel drive car, I'd have the acceleration differential set to between 12% - 15% and brake diff between 25-30%, but that's for racing grip, not drifting.
While much of that is true, if someone is relatively new to it... I wouldn't worry all too much about tuning at first. Horsepower can overcome any and all tuning settings at the end of the day. Tuning their car to lock the dif, could come back to bite them once they move on to a more powerful car, or add power to their current one.

I've got a '64 impala with every suspension set to absolutely softest setting, the rear lowered to max, and the front raised to max. With somewhere around 800ish horsepower, it's among the easiest cars to drift around most corners. And I can get a few inches off the ground bouncing the front end on the straights, as a bonus.

Edit. You need to get your acceleration setting up. 12-14% will result in your rear tires taking turns spinning under acceleration. Sure you'll stay in a straight line evenly, but you'll have to push way more power to keep up with someone who has power going to both tires. There's a big fat happy place in those triggers between completely pressed or not. You can also lower your front dampening a bit in order to transfer weight to the back under acceleration to help.

Last edited:

Chiggs

You need a light car with a shit ton of power, and you can either use your brakes or tap the emergency break.

Easy stuff once you get some practice.

Pantz

Gold Member
For not drifting, slow down until your driving line turns yellow, then let off the brakes and coast through the first part of the turn with no gas then gradually press down the gas button as you exit the second half.

You could also upgrade your car by using other peoples tuning setups. Just go in the garage then Upgrades & Tuning then Find New Tunes then hit the Search button and pick which car class you want to upgrade within after the search, the first one is usually one of the best setups or you can scroll over through them to the right looking with one with a description/keyword for grip.

If you must drift, make sure traction control and stability control are turned off in difficulty settings and manual shifting helps too.

In the same boat here.
Last Horizon game I played extensively was 2.
I think Drifting is a little trickier (for me personally) in 4.
Some good advice on here. Refreshing change from "Lol, git gud scrub"
I realized late in this thread that it was a drifting thread, instead of just controlling the car during turns. But having a 4 gear setup with a bunch of power behind the rear wheels with a tight differential, can do wonders when drifting. There's a funny "Willy's Jeep" tune in the garage that has some insane drift potential.

small_law

I am here to help my friend. I spent a year not knowing how to do that in that game and I figured it out. First go into settings and turn off traction control and stability control and set gear changes to manual. Next you’re going to buy a car, the BMW M5 Forza Edition. Then you’re going to get a tuning set up for it in the garage, anything that mentions the word drift.

Take it to the airstrip, throw it into second gear And hit the gas.

Amaranty

I haven't played FH4 yet, but are there drift specific races or is drifting faster going through a corner?

You think about learning to drift corner and then realise you've been progressing just fine through the game by coming last without it. You then don't bother and drop the game a few hours later feeling empty and disappointed.

RaZoR No1

easiest way to drift with RWD is using one of the Formula Drift cars.
They have everything you need and already have the drift suspensions (more steering angle= easier to catch the car in the drift) + no need to set up the car.
IMO the drift story gives you decent drift cars to try.

It is important to know : you cannot drift faster than driving normally.
Power drift and using E-Brake is one of the easier methods.
Everytime the car is about to stop drifting, press Gas or the Ebrake to initate the drift again and try to steer the other way.

If you want to drift with AWD, it is important to set up differential around 20/80 so that the rear goes wide

Edit: Grip racing is faster than drifting(at least on tarmac) . On gravel/dirt it depends and drifting can help with some corners.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
tj0OdP6.png

For not drifting, slow down until your driving line turns yellow, then let off the brakes and coast through the first part of the turn with no gas then gradually press down the gas button as you exit the second half.

You could also upgrade your car by using other peoples tuning setups. Just go in the garage then Upgrades & Tuning then Find New Tunes then hit the Search button and pick which car class you want to upgrade within after the search, the first one is usually one of the best setups or you can scroll over through them to the right looking with one with a description/keyword for grip.

If you must drift, make sure traction control and stability control are turned off in difficulty settings and manual shifting helps too.
Some good advice here I used to do the same thing but with just the brake line when I started playing. Now I'm racing with only a few assists on and no line against highly skilled AI, usually getting first place. Was going to make a similar post but you beat me to it.

I haven't played FH4 yet, but are there drift specific races or is drifting faster going through a corner?
There's drift zones though out the map and drift club story where you need to earn points by drifting to win those events and outside of that drifting gives you skill score points. On tarmac drifting isn't faster through a corner but it is on dirt roads, it's why pro rally drivers do it.

buenoblue

Try to upgrade your cars using auto upgrade. Best to stay at B or C to start with. This will make your car competitive in the race. Then just break early.

Last edited:
Man, who can get use to the names of the shoulder and trigger buttons between the three consoles? Z? That's dumb. Be better Nintendo.
Lol PlayStation and Xbox had good names, Nintendo was like fuck it. On the 64 controller, it made some sense at least.

Last edited:

buenoblue

Z makes perfect sense. The motion of pulling or releasing the trigger is infact on the Z axis. And in alot of games the triggers do indeed zoom you in and out on the Z axis.

Top Bottom