• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite to be PS5 & XSX launch title, will migrate to Unreal Engine 5 in 2021. Epic Online Services launches as well

Is it really at max settings? I feel like One X has a few spots for improvement, where it doesn’t quite live up to what I’ve seen on the PC, in terms of LODs, draw distance, shadow settings, and such. I could be wrong, though.

There's gotta always be room to improve, right? Draw distance? Textures? I know the game runs well on everything already, but still

At the least, I’m hoping for PC max settings and a 120 FPS option (which may cut down the settings). I don’t have a 120 FPS TV, but it would be an amazing option for those who do.

I’d love to see them make some changes to the game to truly take advantage of the next-gen consoles, though.
Assuming they can leverage all the wonderful buzzwordy tech (Lumen, Nanite etc.) into it, then it'll have better lighting, sound propagation and little to no LOD pop-ins for terrain and buildings. Player-built structures might still have a visual range limit I assume.

I don't think you need a 120Hz display to reap some of the benefits; If the game runs at a higher framerate then everything will feel more responsive (provided they stop having some actions be contingent on ping like they do at the moment on consoles).

Is it really at max settings? I feel like One X has a few spots for improvement, where it doesn’t quite live up to what I’ve seen on the PC, in terms of LODs, draw distance, shadow settings, and such. I could be wrong, though.
You could go into replay mode to look at the character models.

On PS4 the polygonal meshes become apparent once you zoom in enough, particularly on faces. On PC I assume there is tessellation in use, making it the best platform to take close-up screenshots.

I know the game runs well on everything already, but still
It's barely passable on Switch though I give Epic props for not outright ditching the platform.

I suppose it also acts as a preview into how the UE5 version would run alongside the UE4 versions; Switch never got the updated lighting model used on the more powerful systems and in lots of cases physics are disabled (eg. no flowing capes).

When I look at Fortnite as of now it's of pure disgust..... But deep down crying a river because I had sooo much fun during Season 1-7.

Derktron

Banned
eqR5yoC.jpg

Your PS3 must have been pretty awesome. All that at 60 FPS, open world, and with a 100 player count too.
Exactly this, he’s just a troll and nothing more.

Virex

Banned
eqR5yoC.jpg

Your PS3 must have been pretty awesome. All that at 60 FPS, open world, and with a 100 player count too.
Calm your tits. Fortnite is nothing to write home about when it comes to the graphics department. But far from bad looking as well.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Would somebody like to explain how a game thats been in "beta" for 2 years....made billions has had fuckin tournaments for real money...had the like of Drake and other stars playing it and to top itnoff, 2 whole "chapters" and what like 12 seasons is some how considered to be "launching" next gen?

The game has already fuckin launched. It will also be available on the next consoles. Theyll have some event like they always do. Have some intern remove the word "beta" off the loading screens and wow here goes guy i hope you're ready for the official launch!!!

Its like christening a new cruise ship after half the got damn country has done donuts in the middle of the Atlantic with it.

Marketing bullshit.

Banned
yeah with those sniper rifles and zoom it really shows up how bad the draw distance is

yes but even on PC that's an issue.

so they'd have to improve the PC version as well to have better draw distance options or have the next gen version have exclusive super ultra graphics features... I doubt they gonna do the latter one, that would piss some PC players off, especially because of crossplay and the advantages that could have.

what I'm wondering is if they port it to Unreal 5 next year, will it also use their new Nanite technology? because then it would basically have an infinite draw distance (or nore precisely, draw distance tied to the pixel density) right? that would solve this issue :)

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
maybe the game will finally come out of early access?

seriously though...i think Fortnite is probably the best looking BR game. people might hate on it for looking to "cartoony" but i like it. really hate the look of PUBG/Apex. PUBG is straight up ass (it is based on some broken ass Arma engine tho) and Apex isn't BAD but i just prefer the art style of Fortnite.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
If they try to do that, you'd have a zoomer riot when they lose all the skins they stole their parent's credit cards for.

LOL

You reminded me of the time my nephew charged up 200 dollars in fortnight V bucks on my sisters credit card in one night. ONE NIGHT!

phil_t98

#SonyToo
yes but even on PC that's an issue.

so they'd have to improve the PC version as well to have better draw distance options or have the next gen version have exclusive super ultra graphics features... I doubt they gonna do the latter one, that would piss some PC players off, especially because of crossplay and the advantages that could have.

what I'm wondering is if they port it to Unreal 5 next year, will it also use their new Nanite technology? because then it would basically have an infinite draw distance (or nore precisely, draw distance tied to the pixel density) right? that would solve this issue :)

I just think things like houses will be much clearer in the background when zoomed in where they are a blurry mess at times. it will have to be playable across both versions of unreal I guess because of the shear number of players at the moment

D.Final

Banned
EDIT: Meant XsX AND PS5 launch title, if someone could fix title I would be very grateful thank you

Some Fortnite news today, and EG news

Predictable news

Top Bottom