• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite Season 9 |OT| Epic Invents Capitalism

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickFire

Unfortunately, not yet. More and more though, I get interested in seeing these mechanics and this art style in a different setting, so it’s something that I might pick up.

I hope that it does go F2P, as having a free single player campaign right alongside BR and Creative will round out the package nicely, and get a lot of people interested.

Being greedy and joking, but I feel like they should just give it to me anyway. I’ve probably put an Epic employee kid through college through my shop purchases at this point. 😋
Not sure if they changed the rewards for late adopters, but if not it almost feels free if you buy the cheapest version and play br too. There are daily quests (1 per day unless you have the max 3 in the que), quest line rewards, and up to 3 missions per day with v bucks as rewards (changes each day to include 0-3), I just bought the new season battle pass using only STW v bucks, and still have over a thousand left with more to earn tonight.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

NickFire

Well, after spending some more time getting back into the hang of it, I have to agree with the people who say PC should remain in a separate pool from consoles. It does feel like some people are able to build while fighting much quicker than others. Not a huge deal, but would be a nice QoL improvement.

Hi all,

We're hosting our first Fantasy Fortnite Tournament for the FNCS. This is a test run and would love to have you take part!

For week 1 we'll be offering first place one of our t-shirts and a promotional link of their choice blasted on our social media (new prizes to come each week).

Let me know if you have any questions and hope to have you join us! We're accepting the first 50 sign ups with those signing up after getting priority for the following week.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Here we go! Fortnitemares 3 is on the way, and sounding awesome. On top of everything that’s happened recently. The work ethic of these guys is unbelievable.

(Spoilered in case anyone just wants to log in and see it, but a PlayStation Events synopsis of what to expect)
qHwShwJ.jpg

-Arcadia-

Banned
this shit looks doooooooooooooooooooooope

super enjoying this season, chill atmosphere

Same. Gives me original first three seasons vibes, but better. They really upped their game even further on world design, to where just walking around and exploring feels wonderful, and like this could be a real place.

NickFire

this shit looks doooooooooooooooooooooope

super enjoying this season, chill atmosphere
It really is the most chill pick up and play game right now. I'm still loving it, and finally got a solo win. It started a little over grindy on the battle pass, but they gave a huge boost to xp. Now you level up every match or couple of them if you are remotely decent, which is not hard with the matchmaking. Will still take a long time to finish the battle pass I think, but there's more than enough challenges and xp to make the leveling up enjoyable.

Grieves

In my first match of Squads last night I managed to down someone and carry them over to the gas pumps at Salty.

Shot the gas pumps whilst silently congratulating myself that I would finally manage to get the damage someone with an exploding gas pump challenge done which I haven't been able to do for the last week and a half.

Yeah, it was at that point that I noticed that they have changed the challenge to shoot a gas pump in different matches.

-Arcadia-

Banned

Sounds like the person who leaked that the meteor would hit Dusty Depot, back in Season 3 (wow, that feels like a lifetime ago). Same case, he just allegedly shared it with his friends, then his friends spilled the beans, unbeknownst to him, while he, obviously, took the legal fall.

When you’re under NDA, you can’t screw around. Not even with letting family and friends in on it.

What’s crazy is that when this was leaked, everyone thought it was fake and paid no attention anyway, lol. So all this for nothing.

Corrik

Shot the gas pumps whilst silently congratulating myself that I would finally manage to get the damage someone with an exploding gas pump challenge done which I haven't been able to do for the last week and a half.

Yeah, it was at that point that I noticed that they have changed the challenge to shoot a gas pump in different matches.
There is two different challenges. One is exploding gas pump damage. The other is 3 gas pumps in different matches.

I just did both.

That said bandage bazooka being removed has me unable to complete that one.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Still enjoying this so much. Sometimes when I post about the intro to a season being amazing, after all the newness wears off, the middle of the season falls a little flat for me.

Not so here.

It’s a little bit of this

It really is the most chill pick up and play game right now.

(❤ that point, btw)

and a little bit of the new island being amazing, the back-to-basics approach, and just how much more fun matchmaking has made the game, by separating people who just want to sweat ridiculously (everything has its place, tho) and people who just want to have fun.

One of my favorite seasons, tbh. I also don’t think I’ve enjoyed Fortnite so much since the first handful of seasons.

I’m really looking forward to seeing what they do for Season 2, which actually shouldn’t be that far off?

-Arcadia-

Banned
Speaking of Season 2... time to stop speaking of Season 2. 😋

Surprisingly, Season 1 has been extended until February, making for what I’m pretty sure is the longest season, by a very large amount, ever in the game.

It’s going to be interesting to see how they handle this. I really, really doubt they’re going to do three months without challenges or earn able skin, with most people now hitting Level 100 already.

Maybe it can be a fun opportunity to get away from seasons for a while, and try something different?

-Arcadia-

Banned
Just as a reminder, to this forum that just loves the sequel trilogy, : P, JJ comes to visit Fortnite today, and is bringing a new Rise of Skywalker clip, and free Tie Fighter gliders for everyone who participates.

Here are the times that I got off the subreddit:

-11 AM Pacific Time (PST)
-12 PM Mountain Time (MST)
-1 PM Central Time (CST)
-2 PM Eastern Time (EST)
-7 PM Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)
-7 PM British Summer Time (GMT)

Those should be 100% correct, being a mod post, but if you have any doubts, there’s a giant countdown in-game.

I’m really excited. I’m not a fan of the new movies either, but I like JJ enough, and getting to hang out with Star Wars fans in a special event, while he speaks live (I wonder if he’ll be an in-game character like Marshmello?), just sounds like a lot of fun.

Corrik

Just as a reminder, to this forum that just loves the sequel trilogy, : P, JJ comes to visit Fortnite today, and is bringing a new Rise of Skywalker clip, and free Tie Fighter gliders for everyone who participates.

Here are the times that I got off the subreddit:

-11 AM Pacific Time (PST)
-12 PM Mountain Time (MST)
-1 PM Central Time (CST)
-2 PM Eastern Time (EST)
-7 PM Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)
-7 PM British Summer Time (GMT)

Those should be 100% correct, being a mod post, but if you have any doubts, there’s a giant countdown in-game.

I’m really excited. I’m not a fan of the new movies either, but I like JJ enough, and getting to hang out with Star Wars fans in a special event, while he speaks live (I wonder if he’ll be an in-game character like Marshmello?), just sounds like a lot of fun.
Game literally wouldn't let me log in via mobile for the event.

-Arcadia-

Banned

Same across multiple platforms. It looks like the whole Star Wars hype hit them in a bad way.

For what it’s worth, I’m sorry you had to put up with the frustration of that. I posted this in another thread, if you haven’t seen it yet.

For anyone wondering, full event. I would grab a proper YouTube video, but looking earlier, there was so much clickbait I couldn’t find real results.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love

I play on Switch and was able to get into a game twice, but both times I had no input control and the bus took me way past the island and dropped me into the ocean. I couldn't see anything except the giant Star Destroyers in the sky. :messenger_expressionless:

Still, I got the glider...and I got Rey and her staff. The leaked Kylo Ren skin looks pretty nice and should be out soon, too:

kPtImiy.png

-Arcadia-

Banned
>John Wick running at me full speed with a lightsaber
>Start button, scroll, quit game

I love them too. They’re getting really good at inserting whole new gameplay styles onto the Fortnite framework - the Avengers LTM with Cap’s Shield, Hawkeye’s Bow, etc., felt similarly fantastic in parts.

They’re even fun to fight. Emptying a gun at a lightsaber user only to have everything deflected is a real ‘Uh...’ moment. Yet, they’re just the right combination of scary and balanced. Taking one down feels great.

Don’t even get me started on the lightsaber duels. Every time I completely geek out.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
>John Wick running at me full speed with a lightsaber
>Start button, scroll, quit game

I love them too. They’re getting really good at inserting whole new gameplay styles onto the Fortnite framework - the Avengers LTM with Cap’s Shield, Hawkeye’s Bow, etc., felt similarly fantastic in parts.

They’re even fun to fight. Emptying a gun at a lightsaber user only to have everything deflected is a real ‘Uh...’ moment. Yet, they’re just the right combination of scary and balanced. Taking one down feels great.

Don’t even get me started on the lightsaber duels. Every time I completely geek out.

Yup. Recommended loadout as far as I'm concerned with a lightsaber is AR + explosives and lots of healing (it gets messy in lightsaber duels). Close distance to saber range if they don't have a rocket launcher, use AR to pick people off otherwise.

I play on Switch and was able to get into a game twice, but both times I had no input control and the bus took me way past the island and dropped me into the ocean. I couldn't see anything except the giant Star Destroyers in the sky. :messenger_expressionless:

Still, I got the glider...and I got Rey and her staff. The leaked Kylo Ren skin looks pretty nice and should be out soon, too:

That's rough. I loved playing on Switch with gyro and the rumble felt better due to the LRAs but performance in S9 was so bad that I switched to PS4 and learnt to play without gyro.

Oh and the part where you get taken far off the map...I believe that happens if you get desynced/disconnected from the server. IIRC I recreated a similar effect months ago when I was in the battle bus then switched my router off and on quickly.

-Arcadia-

Banned
That's rough. I loved playing on Switch with gyro and the rumble felt better due to the LRAs but performance in S9 was so bad that I switched to PS4 and learnt to play without gyro.

Oh and the part where you get taken far off the map...I believe that happens if you get desynced/disconnected from the server. IIRC I recreated a similar effect months ago when I was in the battle bus then switched my router off and on quickly.

It’s worth picking up again. Chapter 2 did wonders for the Switch. I’m guessing that building the island from the ground up with Switch/Mobile also in mind, really helped a lot.

It looks great for Switch, and it plays how it should. I don’t think it’s always flawless on the latter, depending on the update, but that’s a complaint I’d apply to more than the Switch, and it’s so much better than how it was.

For reference, I play PS4, but love the Switch version for a little casual play while lounging on the couch, when the TV’s busy, or killing some time.

It’s worth picking up again. Chapter 2 did wonders for the Switch. I’m guessing that building the island from the ground up with Switch/Mobile also in mind, really helped a lot.

It looks great for Switch, and it plays how it should. I don’t think it’s always flawless on the latter, depending on the update, but that’s a complaint I’d apply to more than the Switch, and it’s so much better than how it was.

For reference, I play PS4, but love the Switch version for a little casual play while lounging on the couch, when the TV’s busy, or killing some time.

Oh yea I do try it now and then on the Switch just to see if Epic improved or messed things up again.

On quite a few occasions it tends to perform best at the start of the season until they start adding stuff again.

I too was thinking that part of the performance improvements in Chapter 2 were due to the overhaul of map assets (Eg. Battlebus balloon and trees have a noticeably lower poly count.) and just having less moving parts overall, like...all the mobility options in the past.

It's too bad that the revised lighting model isn't on the Switch, I think it turned FN from a nice looking game into a really pretty one.

The most I played on Switch this season was when the JP Cup awarded you with Dark Tricera Ops if you accrued 20 points, hehe.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Fortnite kind of seems like a game in search of extra buttons on console, and I wouldn’t even be surprised if it inspired this device, so I’m really happy we’re seeing cheap alternatives to the ‘pro’ controllers with paddles for hundreds of dollars. I hope Nintendo and Microsoft do something similar.

I just had to switch my pickaxe to right D-Pad, and get rid of the squad emotes, so I could have instant edits on triangle. If this thing is comfy, it’s going to make everything so much easier.

Also, mapping jump to one of the extra buttons so you can aim and jump at the same time during those crazy build battles, could be a godsend.

Fortnite kind of seems like a game in search of extra buttons on console, and I wouldn’t even be surprised if it inspired this device, so I’m really happy we’re seeing cheap alternatives to the ‘pro’ controllers with paddles for hundreds of dollars. I hope Nintendo and Microsoft do something similar.

I just had to switch my pickaxe to right D-Pad, and get rid of the squad emotes, so I could have instant edits on triangle. If this thing is comfy, it’s going to make everything so much easier.

Also, mapping jump to one of the extra buttons so you can aim and jump at the same time during those crazy build battles, could be a godsend.

I've been unsuccessful at finding the article but I remember reading that they'd intended for Fortnite to take full advantage of PC inputs, so it's somewhat ironic that they've spent the past 2 years constantly introducing new ways to level the playing field for controllers as much as possible.

To be fair to them, those statements were made before BR was a thing and before they decided to also launch on current gen consoles.

In my case Edit is on R3, dpad right is Rotate/Repair/Change Trap. I've changed my bindings more times than I'd like to remember ever since it was introduced.

Used to have jump on L1 but now it's back on X. Maybe I'll change it back to one of the bumpers if I ever feel jump+aim is a big enough necessity.

Doubt I'd buy the new attachment though I noticed that it says 16 inputs; my guess is that the Share button is left out.

Ideally the inputs you'd bind to those two back buttons would be actions you want to perform without lifting your thumb off either analog stick.

That was one of the cool things about gyro on Switch: aiming while jumping. Shame about the framerate and resolution though.

Found this while I was looking for older articles talking about Fortnite.

vlmQ1HN.jpg

It's funny considering how now you almost can't avoid knowing something about Fortnite, albeit it's the BR side of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom