• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite Season 9 |OT| Epic Invents Capitalism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tesseract

Banned
quoting arcadia here because some are on a new page

I’m hiding this, because you have the right to decide whether you want to see this stuff in-game or in this thread.

The map (mega-spoilers):

New island, who this?

9EO8zcq.jpg

I love it so much already.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Leaked intro cinematic to Fortnite: Chapter 2, presumably explaining how the black hole resolves itself:

Saving that one for when I boot up, but enjoy, guys.

Here’s the leaked, absolutely awesome Battlepass trailer, if you missed it yesterday:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Also, old news, but remarkably relevant.

If you ever played this game and didn’t like some dude that never leaves his parents’ basement shitting all over you, matchmaking was implemented a few weeks ago. For Chapter 2, bots are introduced at the lowest levels of this matchmaking system, to help you acclimate to the game.

So, if you’re really excited by all the stuff that’s going on, there’s never been a better time to jump in. This game is friendlier than ever.

-Arcadia-

Banned
servers up, back to the blackhole. hahahahaha.

You scared me, hahaha.

This Death Star, thankfully, is armed, and fully operational. You can watch streams, and play right now!

...If your download isn’t taking forever, like mine. (Sigh)

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Wow. The fishing pole is genuinely an item, and you can just chill and fish, hahaha. I got several bits of health from it.

It’s unreal landing and... not knowing where to go, or where or what anything is. Takes me right back to the first times I played Chapter 1.

-Arcadia-

Banned
These new visuals. They look like a mix of OG Fortnite, and the vibe of Life is Strange (a little? I just instantly felt that), and are absolutely gorgeous.

As the seasons wore on last time, it kind of felt like the game lost its visual identity. Everything was crowded, things looked like a theme park at times, and it really lost that beautiful, natural, kind of otherworldly look on the tech/art style side.

This world on the other hand just looks so perfect.

Still having an amazing time, As always, I could do without the building component being so... everpresent (I’m pretty high up in matchmaking, I’m guessing), but it’s something I’m used to at this point.

I really love that the more you play, the more you discover some OG locations I won’t spoil. I accidentally put my marker on an undiscovered area, and led my squad to it like I knew what I was doing, and was hilariously surprised to find one of my favorite drops.

There’s ironically so much of classic first few seasons Fortnite here, both in tone and locations, but expressed in completely different ways. Older players are going to have a field day, with both all the new stuff, and calling to mind the first few seasons, maybe even more than X, the nostalgia season, did. The new island is just amazing.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
You can finally ready up after a match without going into the menu again. Thank fook it's finally possible.

Glitched for me at the moment, but so agree.

Another big QoL moment, was being able to duck through holes in walls and such, without absurd hit boxes fucking you over. Looks like trees are fixed too. Those small things you get used to, that are like a weight lifting off your shoulders when they finally get removed.

Isa

Gold Member
Its been some time since I lasted played, and I don't recall being able to shoot through some windows. That was a nice surprise, for both myself and the foe haha! I love the look and animation quality, its crazy how smooth it all is. Does anyone know if there is a way to migrate an account over to another console? Nearly all my stuff is on my PS4 and I've only started to get a few things on the X. If not its not a huge issue. Could also just be me but I think its easier to wreak enemy buildings, for the most part. And supplies are maybe more limited? I've managed to outgun several fights where the other guys try to build cover then up and over. Also coming from level 100 battlepass on PubG into fortnite is a WAAY different experience, most of which I like. So far I've yet to panic or not engage a firefight lol.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Fortnite > Gravity Rush

Gravity Rush is made for horny little incels to fap to. Now grow up and stop shitposting. I swear to fucking god every time I see you make a post you're whining about Fortnite or talking about shitty fucking Gravity Rush.

And what's wrong that I love the saga, it's a wonderful saga, I rarely do this in a game.

Also, I would not mind if I would do things well, but as always I am in polemic is one of the reasons why the game bothers me

Codes 208

Ive already put in over three hours and hit level 7. I havent had this much fun playing fortnite since season 6.

things ive noticed:
-tilted towers is finally gone
-the UI has changed a bit (your health bar has a larger emphasis for example.)
-squad/team icon colors have been changed again.
-all things rift related are gone.
-your battle pass level and exp level are now the same progression system.
-theyve added a medal system alingside the daily/weekly challenges for more exp to earn.
-in-game achievements (but as of right now they dont translate into xbox achievements or presumably ps4 trophies.)
-some classic areas have returned (salty springs, retail row and pleasant park)
-some default settings have been reset so look into your settings (ie: my auto-open doors, consumables Sorted on the right and game chat had been reset.)
-kevin the cube is mentioned

gameplay-wise this is very much fortnite. But arguably closer to what we got with the pre-rift seasons.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
-tilted towers is finally gone

Never, lol.

It’s there, absolutely bizarrely named as Lazy Lake (it’s right next to it), but retains much of the street layout of the original, and seems to fuse aspects of Tilted and Neo.

It is however, much more low-key, with buildings given a good shrink, and the whole thing moved to the outer edges of the map. Could, and currently is stopping it from eating so much of the player population.

Reactions: Isa

-Arcadia-

Banned
The waterways and boats strike me as particularly bril.

Think of the rivers as highways through the map, with boats largely restricted to them. That means, on dry land, you won’t suddenly have a vehicle roar down on you, with a squad jumping out, or get third partied right after a fight, because someone had a hoverboard.

So, you get the pacing of O.G.nite, but the fast map travel of recent seasons, without either interfering with each other.

The kicker is, if you do walk by waterways, and take that risk? What’s there? Fishing spots to reward you with stocked up health and high-tier weapons.

A lot of thought went into this, and the balance as a whole right now. Like, I love this game, but these are the first play sessions in a while where I’m not calling absolute bullshit all the time. : P

Played my first round in over a year and got #2 lol. However, I read that there are bots in the first match of the season so I guess that explains why I did pretty well.

Anyway, the game looks worse than I remember. The LoD seems to have been severely reduced, resulting in a very soft/undefined look for everything farther than 15m. I checked my settings to see if anything had been turned down but nope, everything is still maxed out. I guess it's a change they made to the engine.

-Arcadia-

Banned
For something a little different...

I love almost everything about Chapter 2, like to crazy extents. You’ve obviously seen me posting.

The one thing though, and it depresses me, is I guess I did good enough to be thrown in matchmaking with sweats, usually PC ones, from the look of it. I have no problem with this. I love a good challenge.

I however, hate the way they play. I enjoy building paired with combat, but when you’re just throwing your mouse around the pad, spam building everywhere without purpose, endlessly running away from the fight, or just hiding in a 1x1 (yeah, that’s back too, with the removal of all the anti-turtling items)the second you take damage, you suck all the fun out of it. Every last drop.

I had to just go ahead and back out, because I wasn’t enjoying myself anymore this morning, even when I won (or hilariously, when they sweated themselves into a fall damage suicide, trying to outbuild me), and I felt my irritation at being robbed of the true fun I was having earlier, beginning.

If that keeps being a trend, like Season X, this is going to be another casual season for me, where I occasionally pop in, and don’t really buy cosmetics. It really is on the fanbase to stop being jackholes with exploiting game mechanics, or Epic to actually fix them.

I adore everything else, but I can’t ignore that. For anyone else at lower levels, it probably won’t be a problem for you, and I’m kind of jealous.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Yeah, some of those bots, I don’t know. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

They’re almost adorable, in the same way that defaults/human newbies used to be.

NickFire

How do OT's work again? Will this one be updated to season 10, or is a new one needed. I didn't see one when I searched, but cannot figure out how to filter searches by date and might have missed it.

Long story short, they made this game tremendously more accessible for middle of the road or new players. It is back to being a game that is a ton of fun for people like me (middle of the road, little chance against good players). I highly recommend checking out the new map if you want something fun to just pick up and play. The team battle in particular is great. I hadn't played BR in a long while, and now you can keep your weapons even after death. Not sure if new or not, but it really makes this game fun to just jump in and play.

-Arcadia-

Banned
A new one is needed. Although it's a slower thread, I think there's enough activity to justify it, and a new thread would probably bring more people in as well.

Btw, I absolutely loved hearing your story. I keep hearing the same thing from everyone, and it makes me really, really glad everyone can enjoy this game again.

Fortnite was never about a tiny group of no-life tryhards abusing a mechanic to shit on everyone else, but it somehow became that. That wasn't fun for any of us, but those who could keep up.

Now, it feels like people everywhere, when they play well enough, and strategically, have a shot at winning and strong performances, and that's great. Not only for the health of the game, but because Fort is pure joy, and everyone should get a crack at it.

Sometimes I do bitch, as a pretty good player, that matchmaking sends nothing but sweats riding the Taj Mahal, Dubai, and WTC 2 my way, but I'll take that if it means you guys have an amazing experience.

Roitorb

A new one is needed. Although it's a slower thread, I think there's enough activity to justify it, and a new thread would probably bring more people in as well.

Btw, I absolutely loved hearing your story. I keep hearing the same thing from everyone, and it makes me really, really glad everyone can enjoy this game again.

Fortnite was never about a tiny group of no-life tryhards abusing a mechanic to shit on everyone else, but it somehow became that. That wasn't fun for any of us, but those who could keep up.

Now, it feels like people everywhere, when they play well enough, and strategically, have a shot at winning and strong performances, and that's great. Not only for the health of the game, but because Fort is pure joy, and everyone should get a crack at it.

Sometimes I do bitch, as a pretty good player, that matchmaking sends nothing but sweats riding the Taj Mahal, Dubai, and WTC 2 my way, but I'll take that if it means you guys have an amazing experience.

I agree we need a chapter 2 OT

NickFire

I've noticed there are people (not so much here) complaining about cpu being added back to the cross play platform. But the majority seems relatively in agreement that the matchmaking is for the best. As of now I'm about 2 nights in on the new map on PS4, and really haven't felt like anyone got a cheap kill on me due to framerate or better aim. Standard stuff seems to be why I die: either too slow to spot, not spotting at all, taking bad shots on my end, or the other person was really good at building and fighting, which I probably will never be (long time STW player now, still approach building more strategically than for speed). I guess the better builders might be using keys, but I really don't feel cheated at all. And I doubt people in my skill pool are that great at building generally.

If I were a high skill player, I might feel a lot differently of course. I imagine any advantage is huge in that world. But overall, from the standpoint of a fortnite fan but historically poor br player, Epic struck gold again IMO. Way more often than not, these devs impress me with how they treat the game and players.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I've noticed there are people (not so much here) complaining about cpu being added back to the cross play platform. But the majority seems relatively in agreement that the matchmaking is for the best. As of now I'm about 2 nights in on the new map on PS4, and really haven't felt like anyone got a cheap kill on me due to framerate or better aim. Standard stuff seems to be why I die: either too slow to spot, not spotting at all, taking bad shots on my end, or the other person was really good at building and fighting, which I probably will never be (long time STW player now, still approach building more strategically than for speed). I guess the better builders might be using keys, but I really don't feel cheated at all. And I doubt people in my skill pool are that great at building generally.

If I were a high skill player, I might feel a lot differently of course. I imagine any advantage is huge in that world. But overall, from the standpoint of a fortnite fan but historically poor br player, Epic struck gold again IMO. Way more often than not, these devs impress me with how they treat the game and players.

I agree. It's incredible that they saw out Chapter 1 with a season that was introducing new and old PoIs on a weekly basis, including creating a brand new location two weeks before the map went goodbye. The ending, the in-world storylines going on around it, new weapons and items and mechanic changes everywhere...

All while simultaneously working on a wonderful new reinvention of the game that dropped two days later.

I can't imagine the workload. We don't deserve the Fortnite team, I almost feel like, sometimes.

NickFire

Even though I bitch sometimes, these last two seasons have been some of the most fun I've ever had with the game.
Do you have STW? If not, it does feel like it will be F2P soon enough. I know it might sound like a broken record hearing that, but there have been big changes obviously leading there. Some old, some new. Older for instance is revamping hero builds - lots of customization that encourages people to keep playing / grinding after finding a good hero. More recent is pulling in your BR locker into STW. I'm really looking forward to whatever the F2P on switch also turns on. And still holding out hope for a middle road with factions and an mmo rpg feel. I know that might be pipe dreaming, but like you said their ability and willingness to keep updating is phenomenal. I can only imagine what a dedicated sub group who is working outside the normal teams might be able to do.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Do you have STW? If not, it does feel like it will be F2P soon enough. I know it might sound like a broken record hearing that, but there have been big changes obviously leading there. Some old, some new. Older for instance is revamping hero builds - lots of customization that encourages people to keep playing / grinding after finding a good hero. More recent is pulling in your BR locker into STW. I'm really looking forward to whatever the F2P on switch also turns on. And still holding out hope for a middle road with factions and an mmo rpg feel. I know that might be pipe dreaming, but like you said their ability and willingness to keep updating is phenomenal. I can only imagine what a dedicated sub group who is working outside the normal teams might be able to do.

Unfortunately, not yet. More and more though, I get interested in seeing these mechanics and this art style in a different setting, so it’s something that I might pick up.

I hope that it does go F2P, as having a free single player campaign right alongside BR and Creative will round out the package nicely, and get a lot of people interested.

Being greedy and joking, but I feel like they should just give it to me anyway. I’ve probably put an Epic employee kid through college through my shop purchases at this point. 😋

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom