• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite RTX

CamHostage

Because of course Fortnite.

Adds Raytracing and also DLSS to the equasion. And yes, it is just a "prettier" Fortnite, but this is Epic's core from which everything else radiates, so I'm assuming having support in Fortnite will also be good for Unreal Engine itself as well.

Last edited:
Don't particularly like fortnite (Epic killed off our beloved Paragon for this), but good to see them add this. Especially in a large BR format with effects, explosions, etc. Although RT in Paragon would look miles above and beyond this.

aKqimsI.jpg

Tygeezy

I love fortnite and this is even more reason to go with 30 x series gpu along with my hdmi 2.1 tv... It's a no brainer at this point.

Grinchy

Banned
Very cool, though even if I had the hardware, I don't think RTX could get me to play this game.

The "pros" won't use this version either. They already turn the game down to ultra low settings because they feel they need 300fps.

ZywyPL

Banned
IMO RT without proper PBR implementation doesn't drastically change the game's visuals. Sure, the accurate shadows and reflections are a nice addition, but overall everything still looks like it's made from cheap plastic rather than actual metal, wood, cloth, stone etc.

GHG

Gold Member
Don't particularly like fortnite (Epic killed off our beloved Paragon for this), but good to see them add this. Especially in a large BR format with effects, explosions, etc. Although RT in Paragon would look miles above and beyond this.

aKqimsI.jpg

Look at the bandwidth of the dog on the right with RTX on.

INC

so how does minecraft in RTX look bad?
is it because low poly models?

He said worst use of ray tracing

My point was I'd never play it, so to me it the worst use, because its utterly useless

It really doesn't matter

-Arcadia-

Banned
Does this not touch lighting or something? Really surprised by how similar the game looks, reflections aside.

I’m honestly not sure many will take advantage of this. It’ll be such a performance hit, for a fanbase already obsessed with maxing out frames for competitive advantage. Many play without shadows, on low settings, everything possible to keep that edge.

DLSS on the other hand, should be fantastic news for that crowd.

And on console, where none of this matters, this might be a nice add for next-gen.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Raytracing just seems utter, utter shit and a massive waste of resources

I don’t agree in general, but here I have to. I can’t imagine bogging down your whole system just to have a few reflections on buildings and the water’s edge.

Maybe I’ll feel differently when we get more gameplay, but I feel the way things are now, with the fake reflections, is just fine. This would be the very last thing I would turn on, if I had enough resources left over after 120 FPS, 4K, max settings, etc.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
That tune is perfect for a fortnite video, you expert them to play classical music or country or something?

Patrick S.

Banned
I don’t agree in general, but here I have to. I can’t imagine bogging down your whole system just to have a few reflections on buildings and the water’s edge.

Maybe I’ll feel differently when we get more gameplay, but I feel the way things are now, with the fake reflections, is just fine. This would be the very last thing I would turn on, if I had enough resources left over after 120 FPS, 4K, max settings, etc.

You are running towards a building to loot it, when you suddenly see the reflection of a guy who was sneaking up on you in one of the building's windows...

Rikkori

so I'm assuming having support in Fortnite will also be good for Unreal Engine itself as well.

Not really, because 1) these are engine-level features in UE4 since months ago; and 2) Fortnite already had these things implemented since last year at least, they just never turned them on for players but they kept them for their cinematics instead.

They just decided they beta tested them enough & it's a good marketing opportunity.

-Arcadia-

Banned
You are running towards a building to loot it, when you suddenly see the reflection of a guy who was sneaking up on you in one of the building's windows...

I mean, maybe, but not a whole lot of players are sneaking around outside in Lazy Lake anyway? (It devolves into all out explosive anarchy at the beginning of every game) Likewise, it’s that one single PoI on the entire island I can think of, that has these kinds of reflective high-rise buildings. The rest is very rural, and there’s not a single bit of glass in any window in the game, lol.

Patrick S.

Banned
I mean, maybe, but not a whole lot of players are sneaking around outside in Lazy Lake anyway? (It devolves into all out explosive anarchy at the beginning of every game) Likewise, it’s that one single PoI on the entire island I can think of, that has these kinds of reflective high-rise buildings. The rest is very rural, and there’s not a single bit of glass in any window in the game, lol.

I'm not super familiar with the current map, because I don't play Fortnite much. I'm guessing the people who build custom maps will come up with some awesome stuff :)

-Arcadia-

Banned
Regular reflections is the least interesting use of RT. Multi-bounce GI is much more impressive to me.

Agreed. That can actually have a transformative effect on the look and realism of a game.

Reflections are nice, particularly if you’re in an area with a lot of them, but lighting is by far the area I’d prefer to see emphasized.

MrFunSocks

Banned
IMO RT without proper PBR implementation doesn't drastically change the game's visuals. Sure, the accurate shadows and reflections are a nice addition, but overall everything still looks like it's made from cheap plastic rather than actual metal, wood, cloth, stone etc.
It's a cartoon game......

Banned
so I tested the RTX update on my GTX1070oc lol. at around 800p I get 30 to 60 fps with RT reflections to high and every other RT effect turned off. when I look directly into a reflective window for example it goes down to around 30fps, but if I'm not directly in front of a reflective surface it hovers at around 40 to 60 fps... when there's no reflection other than the shiny armor of my Knight skin then it's above 60 fps (yes even reflective skins will reflect at these settings. so TECHNICALLY you can use your own character as a scuffed mirror to watch you own back lol)

it's always kinda interesting for me to see how these RTX games run on GTX10 series cards. I bet on a 1080ti at 1080p you could get somewhat playable performance at these settings AND a slight gameplay advantage too since in some places you can literally look behind cover/walls/corners where people without RTX just see a black wall basically.

on an RTX3080 you will get above 120fps with almost max settings, so RTX3080 users will from now on have a sizable advantage in this game for sure!

Last edited:
Top Bottom