• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite Chapter 2 Season 3: Splashdown |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
FwuMLYk.png

Big changes to the Fortnite map that resemble a water park:

uyxv5Tq.jpg

Jooxed

Gold Member
Competitive players already screeching about building this season because water.

This season looks like a lot of fun. I only got to play one match this morning before work but I am looking forward to digging in more tonight. Great battle pass too. Say what you will about Fortnite, but Epic are Kings at changing the map and story progression with their game.

I'd always hoped for a map like this ever since those fault lines were strewn about the island in Chapter 1 Season 8 (my favourite Season since starting in S5).

Lazy Lagoon and Sunny Steps were some of my favourite POIs and the tropical jungle setting around there was lovely.

Took them roughly a year but here we are!

Still hoping underwater swimming will be added at some point. The last time I got to do that was at the Travis Scott event.

NickFire

I'd love to come back to this.. but the building.. meh
I absolutely suck at building, and barely build anything except ramps to climb and walls to heal people / reload. But here's the deal - they did a good job, a really good job actually, with skill based match making. When the new chapter started my kids roped me into giving it another shot. I still run into plenty of people who build like crazy and are good at it. But it does not stop me from ever winning like years back. If I can get myself into a good position, there are ways to take on the builders.

I absolutely suck at building, and barely build anything except ramps to climb and walls to heal people / reload. But here's the deal - they did a good job, a really good job actually, with skill based match making. When the new chapter started my kids roped me into giving it another shot. I still run into plenty of people who build like crazy and are good at it. But it does not stop me from ever winning like years back. If I can get myself into a good position, there are ways to take on the builders.
Well, congratulations, because you've convinced me to try it again.

NickFire

Looks interesting, did they add anything cool to the base game or is this BR only?
Unfortunately not yet, and honestly I have no idea if StW will ever get proper love again. I hope so and have a bit of hope as they want to make it F2P and have a reputation to uphold after BR. But right now my StW is a vbucks farm. If you've been away from it for a year or so the newer modes might give you some fun, but if you are already 120 PL or above its basically a v bucks farm. Pays for all of my battlepasses and lots of skins for the kids though, which is nice.

I absolutely love this game. Keep up the amazing work, Epic. 💖

PS: I finally upgraded...playing on XBox One X now instead of the Switch. I miss the gyro controls, but everything else is an amazing improvement. :)
Within the console space that isn't an upgrade, that's ascension; congratulations on the brand new experience!

And I love using gyro controls whenever possible but Fortnite's implementation of it is relatively barebones, on top of not giving us the option to choose whether or not acceleration affects distance traveled.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Fortnite is my favorite game of all time.

It's unarguably Game of the Generation, but I am not digging the start to Season 3 at all. Just played about an hour and logged off.

Feels like Epic took the map, shoved it into a glass jar, shook it violently, then filled the jar half full of water. It feels like a complete mess and there's 0 interesting new weapons or items to fool around with.

Ugh, was really looking forward to this.

Feels like Epic took the map, shoved it into a glass jar, shook it violently, then filled the jar half full of water. It feels like a complete mess and there's 0 interesting new weapons or items to fool around with.
If that's how you feel about the current state of the island, then I'd say Epic has achieved what it set out to do, which is to make their own Lite version of Waterworld.

Anyway I'm glad to see them now have dual or single wield options for the pickaxes and the charge shotgun is a blast to use, it reminds me of Splatoon's Squiffer.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
My little one plays on Switch. It does a good job but I bet you're getting much improved performance and such.

The performance is much better, but wow...the people on XBox are so much more trollish. I've never seen people do so many annoying emotes in my life. It actually started effecting my joy of the game last night...I actually got angry. :lollipop_downcast_sweat:

NickFire

The performance is much better, but wow...the people on XBox are so much more trollish. I've never seen people do so many annoying emotes in my life. It actually started effecting my joy of the game last night...I actually got angry. :lollipop_downcast_sweat:
Its ok to get angry. Just don't let it cause you to make mistakes. Then they win.

carlosrox

Banned
I love this game.

The new fangled bot presence is a shame though. And I don't mean those AI squads but the actual bots posing as real players. They can be a fun little distraction but winning against some dumbass bots feels cheap.

I was trying this out last night, I love all the changes. I think this is a lot more interesting and dynamic than the last map. I feel a lot more exposed now. I felt a bit overwhelmed at all the changes actually and felt like I was playing pretty clumsy. Got a few second places but capped the night off with a win. Good times.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I love this game.

The new fangled bot presence is a shame though. And I don't mean those AI squads but the actual bots posing as real players. They can be a fun little distraction but winning against some dumbass bots feels cheap.

I was trying this out last night, I love all the changes. I think this is a lot more interesting and dynamic than the last map. I feel a lot more exposed now. I felt a bit overwhelmed at all the changes actually and felt like I was playing pretty clumsy. Got a few second places but capped the night off with a win. Good times.

The more you win the less bots there will be.

carlosrox

Banned
The more you win the less bots there will be.

I actually win with my online buddies quite a bit. I haven't noticed there being any less bots over time. There would be periods just a few weeks ago where we could keep getting wins constantly and it never got any harder. But it was a bit harder after some patches and at certain hours of the night. Now I'm just even more confused.

Building is their weird little shame.

As it should be ;) I mean building is fine but people who get psychotic sweaty with it just take all the fun away for people who don't like to play like that. I haven't noticed people completely spamming building as much lately which I enjoy. I'll build to a point but I will never turn into a 100 foot tower in front of somebody. Too much effort, no thanks.

Tesseract

Banned
i'm having a really good time with this, it's such a breath of fresh air between games of apex where every game burns my soul to the danger zone

will def start playing more, grats to epic on the continued success and hearty content updates

Quasicat

I played this a couple of times during the first chapter and season because it was all people were taking about at work. It was fun, but then I fell off of it hard to play other things. I fired it back up this past week to play with a friend and it amazes me how much the game has changed while still retaining the core gameplay. I kind of wish that they brought back the first chapter for its novelty, but I would imagine that it would splinter the fan base too much. I’m looking forward to seeing the landmass without the flooding.

-Arcadia-

Banned
After a little time with it...

The flare gun is probably my favorite weapon in ages. It’s a mini grenade launcher that hits for 60 damage, an arson tool for people who think the game starts and ends in a box (no offense Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes 😋 ), and an actual flare, when shot in the sky, reveals enemy locations over a big area. I didn’t realize that for the longest time, until I saw it on stream.

Also, firing a bunch of shots into an occupied house to set the whole thing on fire at the start of a game, to freak someone out, is A+, lol.

I’m surprised so many are sleeping on it. It’s just one of those things that make Fortnite vastly more fun. Having a game end in that huge barn in Frenzy, as the whole thing was on fire around us last two, was the most epic thing in forever.

After a little time with it...

The flare gun is probably my favorite weapon in ages. It’s a mini grenade launcher that hits for 60 damage, an arson tool for people who think the game starts and ends in a box (no offense Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes 😋 ), and an actual flare, when shot in the sky, reveals enemy locations over a big area. I didn’t realize that for the longest time, until I saw it on stream.

Also, firing a bunch of shots into an occupied house to set the whole thing on fire at the start of a game, to freak someone out, is A+, lol.

I’m surprised so many are sleeping on it. It’s just one of those things that make Fortnite vastly more fun. Having a game end in that huge barn in Frenzy, as the whole thing was on fire around us last two, was the most epic thing in forever.
You got me thinking; Fortnite finally has water and fire together.

Wonder if we'll get to melt ice and snowmen with fire when winter rolls around.

I'm enjoying this season a lot, a big part of it is because they (probably) borrowed the punch cards and quick challenges from ACNH. And I'm a huge fan of the waterlogged island, so I'm already feeling a tinge of sadness now that the water level is receding.

-Arcadia-

Banned
You got me thinking; Fortnite finally has water and fire together.

Wonder if we'll get to melt ice and snowmen with fire when winter rolls around.

I'm enjoying this season a lot, a big part of it is because they (probably) borrowed the punch cards and quick challenges from ACNH. And I'm a huge fan of the waterlogged island, so I'm already feeling a tinge of sadness now that the water level is receding.

I've been a little sad since the first water drop. I get that part of the seeming theme is that we're going to be uncovering areas all season, cars are waiting, and Epic probably wanted to play it safe with one of the whiniest fanbases in existence, but all the same, I think they could have let some of these water levels stay for longer.

No complaint, the season is wonderful either way, but I'm already missing how cool flooded Salty and Steamy Stacks were. O, and the wall of water that was completely epic for all of two days, lol.

Edit: It would be genuinely cool if the flooded island became an LTM. Same with the wall of water. Because these takes on the game are a bit too awesome to never come back again.

Last edited:
I've been a little sad since the first water drop. I get that part of the seeming theme is that we're going to be uncovering areas all season, cars are waiting, and Epic probably wanted to play it safe with one of the whiniest fanbases in existence, but all the same, I think they could have let some of these water levels stay for longer.

No complaint, the season is wonderful either way, but I'm already missing how cool flooded Salty and Steamy Stacks were. O, and the wall of water that was completely epic for all of two days, lol.

Edit: It would be genuinely cool if the flooded island became an LTM. Same with the wall of water. Because these takes on the game are a bit too awesome to never come back again.
I haven't really thought much about the cars, if the price of having them is the lowering of the water level, then I'm gonna protest by riding Uber Shark (Eats) more.

Actually, I think Epic has done a good job of ignoring the whining so far. At least, they've avoided releasing patch notes for a really long time now.

Gotta say I was initially quite irritated with them not teaching us how to ride a shark, then I decided to git gud and check out the one or two prerendered videos they showed involving a shark being ridden. So, score one for Epic.

I dislike Salty a lot, mainly because it almost always gets swarmed by players regardless of the situation. At least Tilted had multiple good reasons to be a hot spot.

Didn't really play with the water wall because I was avoiding leveling up; so that my Skye just has a golden head. Was also under the assumption that it might last through a week or two in the new season, oh well.

Thinking back on it, there were lots of awesome one-offs that never made it back in an LTM form:

Cube lake, as well as when the Loot Lake mansion and its little island was in pieces up in the sky.

The low-gravity spherical spaces (Lawbreakers says hello!)

The whole island being foggy and snowy after the Ice King froze it over.

The iced surfaces near the castle. Skating around on ice trying to land shotgun blasts was frustratingly hilarious.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I haven't really thought much about the cars, if the price of having them is the lowering of the water level, then I'm gonna protest by riding Uber Shark (Eats) more.

Lmao

I dislike Salty a lot, mainly because it almost always gets swarmed by players regardless of the situation. At least Tilted had multiple good reasons to be a hot spot.

I liked Salty before it was popular, lol. It's one of those PoIs that hits that perfect balance of indoor fighting, outdoor fighting, and awesome design for both. Those are almost always the best ones. Also, I have fond memories from constantly dropping here in Season 3, to get good (which was a Herculean task back then and for someone who hadn't touched a shooter since Halo), and from when I finally started to.

That said, it's just retarded how many people drop here. Particularly in random fill squads. That said, at least it makes for a guaranteed fun, edge-of-your-seat drop.

Didn't really play with the water wall because I was avoiding leveling up; so that my Skye just has a golden head. Was also under the assumption that it might last through a week or two in the new season, oh well.

That's a neat bit of customization I never thought about.

Waterwall was definitely cool, but there wasn't a whole lot you could do with it. It was mostly visual, but it was absolutely terrifying to see this hundreds of feet tall tsunami closing in. Add in that getting caught in it would hilariously suck you up to the top, then spit you out at a hundred miles an hour for an insta-kill, and this was the most intimidating the storm has ever been.

What was neat was, as it closed in, the sun would filter through and cast this beautiful oceanic lighting, that almost looked like you were playing underwater. At nightime and near the end of the game, the entire circle would look like this otherworldly gorgeous landscape.

Thinking back on it, there were lots of awesome one-offs that never made it back in an LTM form:

Cube lake, as well as when the Loot Lake mansion and its little island was in pieces up in the sky.

The low-gravity spherical spaces (Lawbreakers says hello!)

The whole island being foggy and snowy after the Ice King froze it over.

The iced surfaces near the castle. Skating around on ice trying to land shotgun blasts was frustratingly hilarious.

We got a second run of the fog and snow last December, if you missed it, and it was even more awesome. Storms would roll in and out, sometimes to the point where you could only see a foot in front of you, and it was way more intense looking and windy.

Totally agreed though. Bounce lake in particular was amazing. Epic kind of reminds me of the Mario developers in the insane amount of ideas they come up with, then quickly discard to move on to the next one.

I feel like it won't happen until a future season has both islands together in the story, for the most epic experience ever, but I so want LTMs based on older seasons, and a chance to play this stuff again. I'm aware that considerable storage would be needed, but so many people would be willing to beef up their download to go back to these loved moments and locations.

I liked Salty before it was popular, lol. It's one of those PoIs that hits that perfect balance of indoor fighting, outdoor fighting, and awesome design for both. Those are almost always the best ones. Also, I have fond memories from constantly dropping here in Season 3, to get good (which was a Herculean task back then and for someone who hadn't touched a shooter since Halo), and from when I finally started to.
So what you're saying is "I'm an OG."?

Joke aside, I appreciate that it's like a microcosm of Tilted and without the heights, but that's also the problem when it comes to squads...which you've noted and was what my rant was hinting at; there simply isn't enough loot for two squads, even with 100% chest spawns, so landing there is summed up as "be quick or be dead".

Honestly I'm not sure how much would transfer from playing a previous shooter to console Fortnite. It's a combination of Epic still introducing new control schemes at the time, as well as having so many possible things to input.
That's a neat bit of customization I never thought about.
I knew it'd be impossible to hit level 300 at my rate and I didn't want her stuck with the gold at some random spot of her body, so I decided to keep it to her head only. I did aim to get TNTina fully gilded, because she has that cool cel-shading emote to combine it with.
then spit you out at a hundred miles an hour for an insta-kill, and this was the most intimidating the storm has ever been.
I definitely missed out.
What was neat was, as it closed in, the sun would filter through and cast this beautiful oceanic lighting, that almost looked like you were playing underwater. At nightime and near the end of the game, the entire circle would look like this otherworldly gorgeous landscape.
Argh, I'll have to browse YouTube later and see if I can find examples of it. The missing out is real.
We got a second run of the fog and snow last December, if you missed it, and it was even more awesome. Storms would roll in and out, sometimes to the point where you could only see a foot in front of you, and it was way more intense looking and windy.
Weirdly enough I don't fully recall this. I did play during the winter period and unwrapped presents daily (hah). Will have to refresh my memory with YouTube again.
Totally agreed though. Bounce lake in particular was amazing. Epic kind of reminds me of the Mario developers in the insane amount of ideas they come up with, then quickly discard to move on to the next one.
I think that's one of the strengths of Fortnite: it's whacky enough that whatever newfangled idea they toss in doesn't feel overly dissonant, if at all.

Maybe just OP or unhealthy for competition lolol. So, like the engine it runs on, those of us who play it for the fun of it don't remark "This is so unrealistic!", we go "Whoa, this is so unreal!".
I feel like it won't happen until a future season has both islands together in the story, for the most epic experience ever, but I so want LTMs based on older seasons, and a chance to play this stuff again. I'm aware that considerable storage would be needed, but so many people would be willing to beef up their download to go back to these loved moments and locations.
What kinda LTMs do you have in mind?

I'd like a weird mish-mash of the impossible (something like SX did)...... Like, I wanna fire people out of cannons and across the ice.
"Skating rink, no items and weapons. Cannons only." LTM
And then keep it fresh by swapping the ice later on for liquid Kevin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom