• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite “subscription” — lots of kids going to charge their parents cards

They should fix the article. 1,000 V-bucks is an $8 value now right?, not $10.

So you have $8 per month there, and so you'd basically be paying $4 per month for the cosmetics plus the battle pass that comes once every 3-4 months. Still a good deal assuming the cosmetics they give are worth the extra few dollars to you.

Last edited:

Thabass

One thing the OP doesn't mention is that it also comes with the battle pass. I don't think the price is terrible, but it does seem a bit steep just for all that. $7.99 would have been a better price point.

It also gives you VBucks too. So I guess I can see why they went out to over $10. But it's not something I would invest money in.

This is a pretty shit deal considering CoD Warzone is $10 for the battle pass and you earn more than enough currency to buy a new one every season. I've paid $10 and have like 3 season's worth of items right now, and $13 worth of free credits to buy whatever.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I'm a bit confused, doesn't a season pass last several months? So you buy one subscription and then you get the whole season pass? Or do you need to continue to engage with the subscription?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
This is a pretty shit deal considering CoD Warzone is $10 for the battle pass and you earn more than enough currency to buy a new one every season. I've paid $10 and have like 3 season's worth of items right now, and $13 worth of free credits to buy whatever.

You just described the Fortnite Battle Pass introduced in early 2018.

This is a tier above that. It doesn't remove the traditional BP.

Hugare

I can’t believe people still play this. So many better shooters on the market. It’s a glorified Disney game at this point.
There's nothing else quite like it

The build+shooter may not be your cup of tea, but its a brilliant formula for some, not replicated in any other game

I play daily with friends, and it never gets old

We are never getting another Unreal Tournment game, right?

giphy.gif

-Arcadia-

Banned
This looks a bit crap. I understand I get like one exclusive skin a month, plus the equivalent of $8 monthly, plus a free Battle Pass (about the same) when that happens every three months or so?

I don’t see why I’d want to add yet another subscription to my video streaming, Amazon, and GamePass stuff, for so little value.

Then, if I understand right, this means people that don’t see this as any kind of value, will miss out on one pretty awesome skin a month.

Just seems bad all around, whether you go for it, or you don’t.

If it gave you something like a bunch of money to spend in the shop every month, I might change my tune, but this is way too stingy.

NickFire

This looks a bit crap. I understand I get like one exclusive skin a month, plus the equivalent of $8 monthly, plus a free Battle Pass (about the same) when that happens every three months or so?

I don’t see why I’d want to add yet another subscription to my video streaming, Amazon, and GamePass stuff, for so little value.

Then, if I understand right, this means people that don’t see this as any kind of value, will miss out on one pretty awesome skin a month.

Just seems bad all around, whether you go for it, or you don’t.

If it gave you something like a bunch of money to spend in the shop every month, I might change my tune, but this is way too stingy.
When I first saw this I wondered if Activision or EA somehow bought Epic. This is just so NOT Fortnite (IMO).

-Arcadia-

Banned
I guess, thinking about it more, spending $11.99 and getting $8, a skin set that would usually be around $30, and some months, a free Battle Pass, isn’t the worst deal in the world.

$11.99 for around $50 of content. $40 most months.

It’s just that with streaming services, we’ve become accustomed to a multiplication of value versus what you pay, in exchange for chaining yourself to a service.

GamePass, I can pay $10, even less, and literally play hundreds of dollars of content in the same month. Same with the video streaming services, let alone Prime, which has a feature for everything.

In that world, this just seems underwhelming. They would have been better off with getting rid of the exclusive skin concept, and letting you use any skin (is this asking too much?) for chaining yourself to a service for optional cosmetics like this. If you stop paying, you lose the privilege of course.

poodaddy

Gold Member
My daughter recently got into this shit. I was really hoping she'd just skip by this, ya know? She always said she wasn't interested in it, and then her friends got her to try it and she loves it now. I haven't gotten her any microtransactions as of yet, and I do t want to at all, but she is asking for that goddamn Just Dance subscription now, as apparently the songs on there aren't enough for her, and I probably will end up caving on that at some point just because I feel bad for her, kid hates the entire soundtrack but wanted a dancing game lol.......I really hate what modern gaming has turned into. This industry fuckin sucks now, or hell maybe it always did and I just was too blind to see.

NickFire

I guess, thinking about it more, spending $11.99 and getting $8, a skin set that would usually be around $30, and some months, a free Battle Pass, isn’t the worst deal in the world.

$11.99 for around $50 of content. $40 most months.

It’s just that with streaming services, we’ve become accustomed to a multiplication of value versus what you pay, in exchange for chaining yourself to a service.

GamePass, I can pay $10, even less, and literally play hundreds of dollars of content in the same month. Same with the video streaming services, let alone Prime, which has a feature for everything.

In that world, this just seems underwhelming. They would have been better off with getting rid of the exclusive skin concept, and letting you use any skin (is this asking too much?) for chaining yourself to a service for optional cosmetics like this. If you stop paying, you lose the privilege of course.
I love the game and praise the company for giving the same experience to people without money. Just my opinion, but this screams horrible cash grab to me.

I tried convincing myself that the Vbucks make this a good value. But then I remembered two things. One is the lack of patience children have (you can buy a single battlepass and play forever if you save your vbucks from it, but kids never do). The second, and this is the biggie - how many skins do you really want that cost less than 1500 Vbucks? Very few IMO.

Based on the above, what I am seeing is an option to pay 144 a year for the battle pass, with 1 extra (possibly) good skin per month, and one free garbage skin per month. That is a horrible deal.

My daughter recently got into this shit. I was really hoping she'd just skip by this, ya know? She always said she wasn't interested in it, and then her friends got her to try it and she loves it now. I haven't gotten her any microtransactions as of yet, and I do t want to at all, but she is asking for that goddamn Just Dance subscription now, as apparently the songs on there aren't enough for her, and I probably will end up caving on that at some point just because I feel bad for her, kid hates the entire soundtrack but wanted a dancing game lol.......I really hate what modern gaming has turned into. This industry fuckin sucks now, or hell maybe it always did and I just was too blind to see.
I think this offering sucks, but the game is still great. And in my experience it is a great game for parents to play with their kids. The shooting mechanics are solid, and the complete lack of gore is age appropriate for anyone. I originally thought it looked dumb, but playing it with my youngest has been a real treat during Covid.

Last edited:

GloveSlap

It could be cheaper for the parents in the long run, due to how much kids constantly beg for skins in this game. Its crazy though since this game throws an absurd amount of items at you just by recycling the battle pass every season. Kids trying to impress other kids is an eternal truth though.

sackings

Honestly surprised it took them this long. Maybe players are finally starting to drop off? Time to milk it for all its worth

Top Bottom