• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 Season 2020 |OT| Drive to Survive 2 - who drinks champagne from a shoe?

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Haven't seen a general motorsports thread on Gaf, does one even exist?

I've been catching up on last years BTCC after not watching it since it went to pot in the mid 2000's. Late 80s to late 90s BTCC was the pinnacle of motorsport for me. So far from the few races of the 2020 season I've watched, it's been pretty darn good! Almost like watching the BTCC I remembered, except the cars sound like kids blowing raspberries through a megaphone instead of that classic throaty scream.

Also, who wouldn't want a go on one of these? 140mph, in 9 seconds, in a Kart? Must be as terrifying as it is exhilarating. Imagine showing up with one of these at your local kart track.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I think there was a general motorsports thread, but it died to due to lack of posters. I also liked BTCC from the 90s, unfortunately I can't follow the series currently because of no access to any streams and BTCC's youtube channel is a joke compared to what a series like DTM is doing.

I think there was a general motorsports thread, but it died to due to lack of posters. I also liked BTCC from the 90s, unfortunately I can't follow the series currently because of no access to any streams and BTCC's youtube channel is a joke compared to what a series like DTM is doing.

I've been watching them through Youtube via an Australian channel called speedweek. This search should list most of their episodes.

Edit: They're extended highlights rather than full races, but it's the original Brit commentary. They cut out a couple laps in the middle and safety car periods etc, but the editing is so smooth sometimes that I don't even notice until I look at the lap counter.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I've been watching them through Youtube via an Australian channel called speedweek. This search should list most of their episodes.

Edit: They're extended highlights rather than full races, but it's the original Brit commentary. They cut out a couple laps in the middle and safety car periods etc, but the editing is so smooth sometimes that I don't even notice until I look at the lap counter.
I had no idea about this channel and that it's not region locked, thanks.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Look how they massacred my boy. :(

jZQONbt.jpg

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
It was a joke ofc, if you look at Sebastian's dad it's pretty clear where his hairline is going. I wonder why didn't he try with the implants like Lewis (presumably), he got the cash for the best treatments out there.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
So now Pierre has covid... and guess what, he was vacationing in Dubai. It's officially becoming 'get sick now - have an uninterrupted season' place to go. ;)

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Clown world has reached F1 yet again - https://www.racefans.net/2021/02/05...rs-forbidden-from-racing-under-countrys-flag/

You won't be able to use the names Russia or Russian driver in the coverage and Mazepin will have to be called neutral driver and race under a neutral flag, but the Russian GP will go forward like nothing happened because being on good terms with Putin and getting oligarch money is worth more than Russian's ban from sports.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Good news, I wouldn't them go back to being miserable driving with Renault engines. The next few years will be interesting to see how they'll further develop Honda's engine.

Fox Mulder

The engine freeze means they’ll be using 2022 engines for a few years and aren’t going to have to pay to develop them. Redbull wasn’t going to be able to keep up with any of the real engine manufacturers.

They will probably try to get someone else to enter in 2025 for those new engines.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I forgot about the 2022 freeze, but won't they try to develop Honda's engine after the engine freeze period has ended? 3-4 years should allow for building a factory or expanding their HQ.

Anyway I'll take (at least) three guaranteed extra years with Red Bull teams over them going back to Renault or leaving the sport.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member

DON'T move, DON'T breathe.

I like Alpha Tauri's new livery, I just wish the presentation was more about F1 and racing and not a fashion show.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member

Oh fuck, a real missile warning during the Formula E race celebrations, there's still time to cancel this atrocity.

But yeah, more realistically it'll end up with Hamilton praising the best (most explosive) fans.

Last edited:

Makariel

The only missile the FIA mentions is Alex Lynn trying to intercept the ISS during the race yesterday:

I don't see how the FIA would change their mind, too many $$$ involved.

Airbus Jr

Banned

Data suggests Ferrari have 'recovered quite a lot of speed on the straights' says Binotto​

Ferrari’s loyal following the Tifosi have received a boost with news from team boss Mattia Binotto that the Scuderia’s simulations suggest they have “recovered quite a lot of speed on the straights”…

In an agonising turn of events for Ferrari, the famous red team went from having the class-leading power unit in 2019 to the worst of the four the following season, as Charles Leclerc and Sebastian Vettel were forced to contend with an engine that lacked grunt in a car that was draggy.

Keen to avoid a repeat, Ferrari invested in an all-new engine for 2021, and if the results from the dynos translate to the track, they could once again be a force in the engine stakes while also cutting drag on the new car.

Last year the main issue was the speed on the straight lines, not on the power, but power and drag,” said Binotto at the first of Ferrari's two season launch events. “We’ve worked a lot on both sides, the power unit and the car’s aerodynamics, to reduce the drag of the car.

“According to our simulations today, based on what we are seeing in terms of power output from the dynos, from the wind tunnel data too, I think we have recovered quite a lot of speed on the straights.

So I’m expecting the speed not to be such an issue as it was. We hope to be competitive, but we’ll know it only when we are in Bahrain because I think it’s always relative to what the others are doing.

“But we believe our car is certainly more efficient compared to the one we had last year and when I’m saying efficient, again, it’s both from the aerodynamic point of view and from the power unit point of view.”

Ferrari’s SF21 will break cover at a second launch event on Wednesday 10 March, with pre-season testing commencing two days later. Much of the F1 fraternity will remain in Bahrain, as the season begins at the same venue on March 28.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I'm wondering how much of the engine is actually new and how that'll translate into reliability. But yeah, keeping my fingers crossed, it was sad seeing all Ferrari-powered teams being miserable last year.

Makariel

I remember the last time Ferrari was confident about their progress over the Winter. Mercedes won that championship as well.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I remember the last time Ferrari was confident about their progress over the Winter. Mercedes won that championship as well.
i would rather see someone to at least tried to fight back than having everyone to sit back and watch mercedes won the title year after year

Last edited:

Makariel

i would rather see someone to at least tried to fight back than having everyone to sit back and watch mercedes won the title year after year
Are you suggesting nobody tried to win for the past 5 years other than Merc, and that if any of them just tried a bit harder they would have? ;) It's not about trying, Merc is just consistently better than the competition. Unless it turns out the DAS alone is responsible for half a second, I don't see how the situation would fundamentally change with these 2020-and-a-half season cars.

Top Bottom