• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 Season 2020 |OT| Drive to Survive 2 - who drinks champagne from a shoe?

Fox Mulder

Move makes sense for redbull with mclaren, Renault, and Aston Martin looking to be stronger next year. maybe Ferrari bounces back a bit too.

they still won’t be close to a title fight though.

Mohonky

0rLeoS1.jpg

Brutal....

If you hear any news reports of Checo's steering wheel and stand suddenly going missing, please do not look in my direction or go snooping through my house, you will not find it in here, I promise. I hate the look of that display and would never want possession of it.

whistling%2BMickey.gif

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Lol so many people on the Internet butthurt about Haas not wanting to fire Mazepin. Haas F1 is clearly in a difficult financial situation and it's not the first or the last time when an F1 team raises funds in a less "honorable" way.

StonedRider

Lol so many people on the Internet butthurt about Haas not wanting to fire Mazepin. Haas F1 is clearly in a difficult financial situation and it's not the first or the last time when an F1 team raises funds in a less "honorable" way.
Why? Is it continuation of grabbing the tits story? This people are crazy.

Business

It’s like the mob in social media needs stuff like that to give meaning to their own lives. I’d rather have someone else than Mazepin in that Haas seat but this virtue signalling witch hunt is disgusting.

It’s like the mob in social media needs stuff like that to give meaning to their own lives. I’d rather have someone else than Mazepin in that Haas seat but this virtue signalling witch hunt is disgusting.

They do, but F1 didn't help themselves with their own #WeRaceAsOne virtue signalling hashtag. They've basically invited it.

I've always known Mazepin was a prick, that much has been obvious since the junior formula. It's his on track behaviour that pisses me off the most, but I don't think he should lose his seat over the recent Abu Dhabi scandal.

In fact, I think it would be much better for him to keep the seat and show the entire world how much of a tool he is - he'll have crashes and he'll behave badly, he simply can't help himself. Schumacher is the perfect team mate to highlight this. A pleasant, quick and studious young guy who is dedicated and just gets on with it without any fuss. He will ultimately be the downfall of Mazepin. Having said that, I do think Mazepin will be faster in the first few races. Mick seems to take a little while to get up to speed - but come the end of the season, I expect Mick to be firmly in front having had a couple of really strong drives.

#ShutUpAndRace would have been a better hashtag for F1.

Fox Mulder

Yeah, f1 brought it on themselves with all the sjw bullshit. The people that applauded all the hashtags and rainbows will complain about Mazepin.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't like Rubens when he was racing because he came after Senna and we all expect a lot from him, he rarely delivered. He's such a nice guy though, you just can't hate the guy. I'm a big fan now, have been for a long while actually.

I’ve raced him a few times on iracing, he’s a good bloke, fits in well and just does his thing.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Well that's just smart thinking and doing stuff to bring a lot of new fans of the sport. Liberty Media have also alienated/angered some of the older fans since the takeover (especially this year ;)), but all in all they're probably happy about making F1 more popular among the younger folk.

Last edited:

Petey-o

It's been mostly the same except they now have online streaming, an actual social media presence and have a lot of content on their YouTube channel. Definitely a massive improvement in my book.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
The whole concept of knighthood (and, well, monarchy) is strange to me. I guess I was always against symbolic titles which don't mean a lot like getting a trophy for actually winning something.

Last edited:
If anyone else is bored this morning. 2020 GP quiz. Got 12/20.

That was pretty tough. Managed 14/20 with a couple of good guesses.

TriSuit666

Banned
The whole concept of knighthood (and, well, monarchy) is strange to me. I guess I was always against symbolic titles which don't mean a lot like getting a trophy for actually winning something.
Essentially a Knighthood is an OBE++.

Now, as the lowest tier of Honours, an OBE can effectively be ‘bought’ by someone being nominated for it. The higher tiers, CBE, MBE are chosen by the Queen herself.

I still disagree with the concept of anyone in the public spotlight being rewarded for doing their job, and obviously Hamilton will just be even more on an insufferable cunt now.

Sorry, Sir Lewis Hamilton.

Still a cunt, though.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member

It's a shame that you need to have an active superlicense, because they actually make a bigger joke out of it and give Mika one of the FP sessions. :)

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Can't say I'm surprised with this development considering Max is the son of Jos. He couldn't get any tips from his dad how to build a stable, "normal" relationship.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Unfortunately it seems only the tabloids are covering this "story". I'll be very surprised if Hamilton isn't signed for the next few seasons.

Best we can hope for is that Lewis realizes he isn't irreplaceable despite being a 7 time world champion.

Last edited:
We can only wish. Russell would only be a fraction of the cost but Hamilton's publicity probably makes up for that.

I could hope Hamilton is too much of a narcissistic cock and turns away a "low" offer but I think he'll take anything to remain the centre of attention.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Realistically I don't see Monaco happening this year. The situation is unlikely to improve until May and it's impossible to separate F1 personnel from the fans and citizens of Monaco in a place like this.

Also 12 races in 16 weeks (!) is not very healthy for the teams.

Last edited:
The 23 races "literally nothing wrong can happen" calendar never seemed plausible. Over 2 months before the start and two events have already been canned. Think we're lucky if half of those events happen in the places and dates indicated.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Alpine's logo on the engine cover is very meh, you really have to look at it to see the A. The car manufacturer's logo is much simpler.

Last edited:

Not that I tend to idolize sportsmen as heroes, but I'm losing the respect I had for some during this pandemic, in F1 and outside alike. Some agreed to lower their salary, understand their teams had a much lower income last year due to a lack of crowd, missing events and whatnot. Others feel like their ludicrous pay is owed to them, even though they could comfortably live with a fraction of what they get. Situations like this remind me of Alessandro Del Piero who signed a blank contract and gave it to Juventus in 2006 (team was in deep trouble), telling them he'll play even for free if that's necessary. Then you have folks like Lewis Hamilton demanding to be paid more during a global pandemic. Eh.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I'm surprised Hamilton wasn't targeted already by the social media mob to at least share some of his multimillion dollar salary with BLM or other organizations he seems to be so passionate about supporting (through words and empty statements only). ;)

Airbus Jr

Banned
Home Single Seater Formula 1

Technical Insight: How Ferrari intends to fight back in 2021​

Scuderia Ferrari, fresh from its dismal 2020 Formula 1 campaign, has been working on turning its fortunes around for several months.

There are many rumours about the car that Ferrari will bring to the track this year. There are also many doubts about whether they can really make a comeback in a season that will see very few regulatory changes, with very limited development allowed.

The name of the new car from Maranello, the SF21, is one of the few certainties that we currently know. Due to the regulations implemented by the FIA in the technical/sporting field, with the various freezes of some of the most important components of a car, the SF21 will inherit a good part of the old SF1000 of 2020. Obviously this will not help to cancel out all the performance problems the team suffered from last year, therefore if they can deliver consistent podiums in ’21, it can be considered a great result obtained by the Scuderia technicians.

Despite the development freeze, other parts of the car, such as aerodynamics and Power Unit, leave more freedom for the engineers led by Mattia Binotto and David Sanchez (chief engineer) to regain some level of competitiveness. Above all, Ferrari will be looking to the new Power Unit, the real weak point of the old car, to deliver a major performance step.

Outside of the two development tokens, the main focus of development will of course be on the floor, diffuser and rear brake sockets, with the FIA imposing changes in these areas to reduce the mechanical stress on the Pirelli tyres in a bid to avoid further repeats of the British GP, where three cars suffered failures.

It is therefore legitimate to ask what the changes implemented on the new Ferrari could be, where the two tokens granted will be spent, and what to expect from the new Power Unit 065/2.

possible-sf21-eng-jpeg.jpg

Ferrari SF21: More like the SF1000-B​

The Ferrari SF21 will certainly be very similar to the old SF1000, due to the various freezes. With stable regulations we often see parts being shared between seasons, but in 2021, even more than in previous years, we will essentially see a direct evolution of the old 2020 single-seater. It could be defined as an “SF1000 version B”, or “SF1000 2.0.”

With cars inherited directly from those of the previous season, it is clear that an upheaval in the pecking order is unlikely. However, thanks to its human and economic resources, Ferrari will have a better chance of catching up than direct competitors such as Aston Martin, McLaren and Renault, which in development tend to be somewhat limited in the improvement curve of their cars.

Ferrari’s focus is likely to be on the rear​

Ferrari knows the weaknesses of its SF1000 and therefore knows where it needs to spend its tokens. It’s more than likely it will concern the modification of one or more homologated parts from last season, which the Ferrari technicians may decide to modify for 2021, by spending the required tokens.

The components forming part of the so-called HC (Homologated Components) are purely mechanical in nature, and are mainly: the frame, the cooling system, the braking system, the gearbox, internal suspension parts, and the impact structures.

Almost certainly the tokens granted will be spent by Ferrari to homologate parts of the SF21 already at its debut, and not wait for some Grand Prix of the future season to identify the development area.

Insider knowledge from Maranello strongly suggests that Ferrari has planned the homologation of a new gearbox, which requires the expense of both tokens for the approval of the FIA technicians. A new gearbox could also help revise the rear suspension attachments (as long as you don’t change the bars, springs and other internal parts), reducing the overall dimensions of the rear.

The aim of the engineers is to review the aerodynamics at the rear, which were very unstable last season, with a tendency to stall, which created many problems for the drivers on the SF1000. Moving back the suspension triangle, as done by Mercedes and Red Bull to recreate a sort of double diffuser with the lower arm fairing, could be an important starting point.

No narrow nose on the SF21​

The expense of both tokens to revise the rear will not allow Ferrari to adopt the much coveted Mercedes-style narrow nose on the SF21. The implementation of a narrow nose (copied by McLaren, Renault and Red Bull), and which is now the new “fashion” for engineers to manage the air flows at the front, requires the modification of the frontal impact structure, approved in September 2020.
The front impact crash structure (FICS), which is housed right inside the nose that wraps it like a sort of casing, was designed to house the wide “old school” nose of the SF1000. Consequently, it is not suitable for the implementation of a Mercedes-style front.

Last year Ferrari looked like they tried to homologate a narrow nose by the last useful date in mid-September 2020, however it likely failed to pass the crash test, or didn’t receive positive feedback from the CFD simulations and was therefore not further developed.

Recovering lost downforce​

An important development for this season will be how teams interpret the new aerodynamic constraints that will limit the downforce in the rear area of the car. The FIA has dictated new technical guidelines to safeguard the integrity of the Pirelli tyres, which will force the engineers to cut a portion of the floor diagonally. This will substantially reduce the aerodynamic seal effect that the engineers were looking for on the 2020 single-seaters, to energise the diffuser and reduce the induced aerodynamic drag.

To this must be added the reduction in the dimensions of the fins inside the diffuser and the cantilevered winglets from the brake ducts. The aim of the FIA is to limit the overall aerodynamics of the 2021 cars by 10 per cent compared to 2020, to which is also added an increase in the minimum weight at the technical checks.

During the 2020 season finale, Ferrari was very active in this regard, and has already tested various pre-configurations of these aerodynamic parts, adapting them to the 2020 car. Two different floor solutions were tested between Portimao and Abu Dhabi, with the latest version seen in the free practice of the final race of 2020.

A lot of work was also carried out in the Young Driver Test, where data collections were carried out with the floor, diffuser, and brake ducts in view of 2021, by mounting the famous “rakes” on the rear. These are the same ones used in free practice in Yas Marina, with the pitot tubes collecting data on the flow trends with the aerodynamic modifications to the rear.

It will be very important to compensate for the loss of aerodynamic load at the rear whilst also rebalancing the front axle, otherwise the cars could become very unstable.
Reducing the drag shown by the SF1000 is another important focus of the Maranello engineers, who will have to take a step back to 2019, returning to the aerodynamic efficiency levels of the SF90 which was often quickest in the speed traps – the opposite of last year!

Big questions remain over the power unit​

The real technical revolution for the Ferrari SF21 should come from the redesign of the Power Unit, which has been on the test bench since early November. The redesign concerns both the endothermic part and the Energy Store, with particular attention on the discharges: By regulation, the endothermic part will see the lifting of the obligation to use the wastegate. This will allow teams to have more freedom in the design of the turbine, and in the management of exhaust gases.

The part on which the work of the engineers has mainly focused concerns the injection system and the management of fuel in the combustion chamber: The secret agreement signed last year between Ferrari and FIA, which led to substantial regulatory adaptations of its own Power Unit, caused the Italian team to lose the supremacy it held in 2019.

The implementation of the double flow meter, and the limitations in the use of additive oils, cancelled the strengths of the Ferrari engine compared to rivals, which was felt at its customer teams Haas and Alfa Romeo too. The FIA, with the obligation of a single mapping for qualifying and the race, and the limitations in the quantity of oils for 2021, is an attempt to level the performances among the various engines, canceling above all the excessive Mercedes power shown last season – albeit to little effect.

Therefore there are some prerequisites for Ferrari to be able to put a much better Power Unit into practice on the track in 2021. The 065/2 Power Unit looks promising, and is already ready to provide 30 additional horsepower than the last specification used in 2020, though its rivals are also not sleeping.
To support the strength of the new Ferrari engine, team principal Mattia Binotto has said he would be open to an engine development freeze at the end of the year – not something a team boss would agree to if the numbers didn’t look positive!

To close the gap from the Mercedes Power Unit, however, it will take more than a single winter of work and some tweaks to the technical regulations.

Last edited:
Top Bottom