• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 Season 2020 |OT| Drive to Survive 2 - who drinks champagne from a shoe?

GHG

Gold Member

Great to see. Hopefully he does better than Bottas and they can bin Bottas for next season (can they even do this? Not sure what bottas' contract situation is).

Having driven a racing car I can tell you now the mirrors are useless due to size and vibrations. Also I didn’t have the insane restraint with the huge side panels etc and even then it was hard to know where other cars but F1 cars have a dreadful seating position which basically makes it impossible to know who’s around you. It’s a miracle they do anything wheel to wheel frankly.

Yeh they are not great on the cars I've driven (TT Cup, Aston GT4 and a Radical SR3) but I still felt they were in the "good enough" category all things considered.

With f1 mirrors being even worse then it means these guys are racing on spacial awareness and instinct rather than actually knowing what's around them.

The aero teams would likely want to do away with the mirrors entirely if they could so I'm sure there could be some potential innovations in that space that could help both the drivers and the overall performance potential of the cars.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Hamilton fans when they see backmarker driver win a race overnight when he uses his car

tenor.gif

JimiNutz

Banned
Great to see. Hopefully he does better than Bottas and they can bin Bottas for next season (can they even do this? Not sure what bottas' contract situation is).

It's an incredible opportunity for George and I'm surprised that Williams are letting him go for the weekend.

I hope to see George do well but I doubt he'll end up replacing Bottas next regardless of how well he drives as they both have contracts for next season and I imagine it would cost a hell of a lot of money to buy both contracts out.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
Hamilton fans when they see backmarker driver win a race overnight when he uses his car

tenor.gif

More like Bottas when he sees that happening.

I want Russell to do well. Sick of seeing Bottas floundering in that car. Says a lot when Hamilton is more worried about the Red Bulls than he is about his team mate in identical machinery.

Best case scenario is that he gets binned and we can see something that more closely resembles the Hamilton vs Rosberg days.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Yeh they are not great on the cars I've driven (TT Cup, Aston GT4 and a Radical SR3) but I still felt they were in the "good enough" category all things considered.

With f1 mirrors being even worse then it means these guys are racing on spacial awareness and instinct rather than actually knowing what's around them.

The aero teams would likely want to do away with the mirrors entirely if they could so I'm sure there could be some potential innovations in that space that could help both the drivers and the overall performance potential of the cars.

The Radical.. that thing is an absolute beast. Lucky bastard. Beautiful piece of machinery.

StonedRider

Yeh he's right, I was taught if in doubt brake. These guys in F1 don't always share that principle though because they are far more experienced and due to the fact that overtaking in F1 is so difficult (which needs to change) so they will take every opportunity they can get even if it's the more risky move.

Of course, I was joking, racing is not driving in the city and racing drivers mindset is completely different. For them braking is the very last thing they think about in situations like this.

About Russell, I will watch him closely this weekend! I still hope Mercedes will see they don't have to pay Hamilton insane amount of money and deal with his activism, to achieve the same results with Russell.
Bottas will remain in the team, it's Hamilton who doesn't have contract for the next year.

edit:
Mick Schumacher: Haas sign Michael's son for Formula 1 2021 season

He and Mazepin will eat each other alive next year, I'm afraid.

Last edited:
About Russell, I will watch him closely this weekend! I still hope Mercedes will see they don't have to pay Hamilton insane amount of money and deal with his activism, to achieve the same results with Russell.
Bottas will remain in the team, it's Hamilton who doesn't have contract for the next year.
That's a good point. If Mercedes can secure a relatively easy 1-2 in this race, I can see them being a little more hesitant to pay Ham $100+ million or whatever fucking silly monopoly money he's asking for. I'm certain he will resign, and the deal will be ludicrous. But at least we'll know it doesn't have to be that way...

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
That's a good point. If Mercedes can secure a relatively easy 1-2 in this race, I can see them being a little more hesitant to pay Ham $100+ million or whatever fucking silly monopoly money he's asking for. I'm certain he will resign, and the deal will be ludicrous. But at least we'll know it doesn't have to be that way...

The coming wage cap might put the kybosh on Hamilton getting silly money. Fingers crossed.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Guys, he needs this money to surround himself with security in his multimillion dollar mansions support BLM cause.

I'm looking forward to seeing what George will do, I bet Bottas is already eating extra porridge. ;) And it's going to be interesting how Haas performs next year. The driver lineup seems like a downgrade, but maybe they have good ideas on how to use the extra sponsorship money from Mazepin.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

I’m surprised but good for him. There’s two races left in the season and Williams can still get 3 points to not finish last.

Wonder if he’ll keep his f1 career streak of never being out qualified by a teammate going.

I'm looking forward to seeing what George will do, I bet Bottas is already eating extra porridge. ;) And it's going to be interesting how Haas performs next year. The driver lineup seems like a downgrade, but maybe they have good ideas on how to use the extra sponsorship money from Mazepin.

Haas is barely ahead of last place this year. They’ll be shit again in 2021 with few changes and a Ferrari PU, might as well just take the Mazepin money and get Schumacher experience in f1.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Haas is barely ahead of last place this year. They’ll be shit again in 2021 with few changes and a Ferrari PU, might as well just take the Mazepin money and get Schumacher experience in f1.

Haas tbh took a shortcut getting in, having Ferrari build most of the car, but the problem is that now they don't have the skills internally to make a decent car. They're fucked. Re Schumacher - I would imagine Ferrari are handing over some cash to fund his seat too, so Haas at this point are running two pay drivers, one way or the other.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I just noticed that Mick will be driving with the number 47 from next year. Does this mean we're getting a hitman in F1? I certainly wouldn't mind it. :)

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I reckon I might just be looking forward to this more than any race this year bar Imola - the track is mental. Just watching practice right now while 'working' and it looks a fucktonne of fun and I reckon it'll make for some fabulous racing.

That’s a fact but let’s not forget it wasn’t on pure pace. The Mercedes took themselves out and Red Bull screwed Ricciardo’s strategy.

Russel already drives the fastest car so there's no better team needed to crash ,
also then just 18 year old Max took on Ferrari , arguably the then faster cars driven by two world champions .
This easy circuit is all about engine power, almost like a freaking oval , would be really strange if no Mercedes wins .
In reality only Bottas can spoil Russels Sunday now and I hope he doesn't .

Business

Russel already drives the fastest car so there's no better team needed to crash ,
also then just 18 year old Max took on Ferrari , arguably the then faster cars driven by two world champions .
This easy circuit is all about engine power, almost like a freaking oval , would be really strange if no Mercedes wins .
In reality only Bottas can spoil Russels Sunday now and I hope he doesn't .

18 year old Max on his first race with RBR was slower than Ricciardo and slower than Vettel, these two went with what ended up being the worst strategy and he found himself ahead of them both and ahead of a faster Kimi in Barcelona, where let's say it's not easy to overtake. He did well to keep his cool and keep Kimi behind but let's not pretend that first win with RBR was any sort of commanding drive.

My point was Verstappen won but not because he was the quickest straight away once he got a top car, considering he is one of if not the single greatest talent in the last few decades I don't think Russell must win (or beat Bottas) or else he is automatically less, as your first post seemed to imply.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Bet Lewis wishes he inked a new contract before COVID. Mercedes with the upper hand in negotiations now with Russell in their back pocket. Think Mr. 7-time might be looking at a paycut.

GHG

Gold Member
Bet Lewis wishes he inked a new contract before COVID. Mercedes with the upper hand in negotiations now with Russell in their back pocket. Think Mr. 7-time might be looking at a paycut.

It's one thing to do it in a single weekend when the pressure is off on a simple (by f1 standards) circuit, and it's a bother thing to do it week in, week out across multiple years.

I'm glad Russell is doing well so far but he hasn't even qualified first yet, let alone won the race. Let's see how he handles the higher pressure situations and wheel to wheel action at the front of the grid before jumping to conclusions.

Dislike him all you want but Hamilton can demand what he wants because of his achievements on the track, it's as simple as that.

Last edited:
18 year old Max on his first race with RBR was slower than Ricciardo and slower than Vettel, these two went with what ended up being the worst strategy and he found himself ahead of them both and ahead of a faster Kimi in Barcelona, where let's say it's not easy to overtake. He did well to keep his cool and keep Kimi behind but let's not pretend that first win with RBR was any sort of commanding drive.

My point was Verstappen won but not because he was the quickest straight away once he got a top car, considering he is one of if not the single greatest talent in the last few decades I don't think Russell must win (or beat Bottas) or else he is automatically less, as your first post seemed to imply.

Relax.
I never said it was a commanding drive from Max and I just hope Russel wins .
Jesus Christ, keep your straw man , I must have hit some sort of nerve mentioning Max .

Peter303

Had a crazy thought during a long boring drive. Imagine if Mercedes let Hamilton go and took Russell instead and then HAM went to Red Bull along side Max.

Business

Relax.
I never said it was a commanding drive from Max and I just hope Russel wins .
Jesus Christ, keep your straw man , I must have hit some sort of nerve mentioning Max .

I read my post again and I really don’t see how it gave you the impression I wasn’t relaxed. Don’t be so sensitive man this is a forum, it’s all right.

Mazapin has been handed a 5sec penalty for 1 of his moves and 2 penalty points, dropping him from 3rd to 7th and meaning his has 11 penalty points in 2020.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Rusel manage to be 0,026 behind Bottas with small cockpit designed for Hamilton and 2 days training

Very unfortunate theres not enough legroom for this guy

Mustve been uncomftable for him there

If Merc keep him and give him a proper car next year this guy will be a real challenge for Hamilton

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Top three within a tenth of a second from each other is crazy. Honestly I wouldn't mind more shorter versions of current circuits to fill the calendar next year (assuming covid will still interfere).

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Very tight. And Leclerc again putting in work with that Ferrari.

Ok wow Leclerc just beat one Red Bull car and two Pink Mercedes car in qualifying today i just realize that

Amazing job for this guys considering the state of Ferrari car this year

Last edited:
Top Bottom