• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 Season 2020 |OT| Drive to Survive 2 - who drinks champagne from a shoe?

Mohonky

What a dramatic finish! If only Verstappen didn't change his tyres.

Nothing to suggest he may not have had the same problem, if anything, the bigger question is why Merc didn't pit Hamilton; Bottas tyre failed, Sainz tyre failed, Verstappen had pitted, just flirting with danger not pitting Hamilton when they really didn't need to take the risk.

As a Hamilton fan man my heart stopped when I saw the Merc blow the tyre on Bottas, then I saw Verstappen pit and I was thinking ok, just pit Hamilton....man they took a risk that wasn't needed.

Will be interesting to see what it means for next week.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Nothing to suggest he may not have had the same problem, if anything, the bigger question is why Merc didn't pit Hamilton; Bottas tyre failed, Sainz tyre failed, Verstappen had pitted, just flirting with danger not pitting Hamilton when they really didn't need to take the risk.

As a Hamilton fan man my heart stopped when I saw the Merc blow the tyre on Bottas, then I saw Verstappen pit and I was thinking ok, just pit Hamilton....man they took a risk that wasn't needed.

Bottas and Sainz were complaining about vibrations before they had their tyre explosions. Lewis was pretty silent instead of his usual "my tyres are dead Bono" moan. But yeah, the team probably didn't react quick enough to Max's pitstop.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
So tyres are exploding and next race at the same track they’re going with softer tyres. I look forwards to that.

Pirelli really are utterly shit - so many issues with them over the years and they absolutely do not help the racing at all.

StonedRider

When Max pitted, Lewis already started his penultimate lap. Mercedes could've call him lap later, but it was useless for the fastest lap. Anyway, after Bottas tyre puncture and Max pitstop they could've played safe and change Lewis tyres just in case.

Mercedes can win a race with probably 2 tyres. That being said, tremendous job by Hamilton to hang on. Probably the one time all season he'll be tested, but he did well.

Max not taking a knee and going for that second place over Bottas is IMO the story of the season. Dude's a gangster.

TTOOLL

Maybe I'm being a bit unfair, but solely based on watching Drive to Survive I came to despise Grosjean as a driver. Guy is weak-minded and sometimes just dumb. Of course it's easy to say when you're not driving a F1 car but I don't know why Haas is keeping him.

Yuck, can't watch anymore until they fix the politics. Switched off the British GP and not watching anymore this season. I'm not a regular in this thread so I'll probably get ignored or laughed at, but Perez not being able to race because "he has COVID-19", Hamilton taking the knee, the poor disadvantaged guy he is, and no fans in the grandstand at Silverstone, makes me feel weird.

My dad said the same thing and I laughed, he's a lifelong fan but gave up this season because of all this, but now I get it, what's the point watching live sports anymore? What a joke.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Yuck, can't watch anymore until they fix the politics. Switched off the British GP and not watching anymore this season. I'm not a regular in this thread so I'll probably get ignored or laughed at, but Perez not being able to race because "he has COVID-19", Hamilton taking the knee, the poor disadvantaged guy he is, and no fans in the grandstand at Silverstone, makes me feel weird.

My dad said the same thing and I laughed, he's a lifelong fan but gave up this season because of all this, but now I get it, what's the point watching live sports anymore? What a joke.
This is not reddit, you're not going to be banned for speaking against blm propaganda. ;) The sad thing about politics in F1 is that the biggest star is the one making the push so obviously Liberty Media and Mercedes will bend the knee. At least Jean Todt isn't doing the same thing, but obviously this means that him and FIA will continue to be attacked by Hamilton and brainwashed "journalists". Same goes with other drivers that don't plan to submit. They will continue to be pressured in hopes that some of them will finally break.

As for Sergio missing out, I've read that he developed some mild symptoms so I suspect it might take longer to get the virus completely out of his system. Hopefully he won't have any problems returning to perfect heatlth to be fit and competetive in F1.

Maybe I'm being a bit unfair, but solely based on watching Drive to Survive I came to despise Grosjean as a driver. Guy is weak-minded and sometimes just dumb. Of course it's easy to say when you're not driving a F1 car but I don't know why Haas is keeping him.
Grosjean is still a very uneven driver even after all these years in F1. He can have great races and he can have horrible races and DNF's due to his dumb mistakes. I really don't know why Haas continues to renew his contract, maybe his salary is tiny and for a team like Haas paying a few mil to hire someone like Hulkenberg would be a big expense.

Last edited:

It's revolting how Hamilton is acting and how the sport and the media are enabling him.

I hate it too, but as a die-hard fan of the sport for 26 of my 33 years and having only missed a couple of races over that period, I'm not willing to simply drop it in protest. Maybe that's a poor reflection on me, but this is my sport. It is the one sport I am genuinely passionate about. It only makes me cheer for Max, Valtteri and the others harder. Hamilton won't keep winning forever, and the sport is always the most exciting when the dominant cars and drivers start to fade. Might take a couple of years, but I will savour it even more when it does eventually happen.

I hated Hamilton when he first came into F1 (I didn't like his attitude at all), but since he's been at Mercedes he'd really grown on me and converted me into a fan. He's undone all of that in the last two months and I don't think I've ever viewed him in such a negative light. He is simply unintelligent, arrogant and ignorant (perhaps unsurprising given his job), but it's starting to rub me the wrong way and I long for the day when he won't have it so easy.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member

Damn, so it's confirmed Daniil crashed because of a tyre failure and not driver error. That's four failures in one race, including a failure leading to a crash... I wonder if Pirelli cares about the negative PR it's getting.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Vettel supposedly signed with Force India Racing Point whatever the fuck it's called Aston Martin for 3 years and he'll be replacing Checo. Must be a downer for Sergio if it's true, first he catches corona and then potentially loses a seat.

Vettel supposedly signed with Force India Racing Point whatever the fuck it's called Aston Martin for 3 years and he'll be replacing Checo. Must be a downer for Sergio if it's true, first he catches corona and then potentially loses a seat.

And he is the guy that financially helped the team out when they were about to drop. Stroll is not as good, its just that hsi dad now owns the company he will stay there but Perez is a way better driver for them. Lets see.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member

It will be interesting what happens next. I don't think Racing Point will be able to redesign the brake ducts quickly... so potentially they're going to lose more points and have more fines?

Business

Question is, is it a net win? Would they have got brake ducts of similar quality for 400k. If not, then they bought better brake ducts for a sensible price.

Penalty sounds like a joke. And it’s not even
only the ducts because the ducts and the rest of the car have to work in harmony, it’s really the whole car they saved the R&D on. The only issue with the ducts is (or so I understand) it’s a ‘hidden’ part so they can’t justify they copied it through photographs.

After this I don’t see how Alpha Tauri is not showing up with a Red Bull body next year, and so should other smaller teams.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
So.. Merc walk away with practice 2 while Vettel's engine fails. *yawn*

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Looks like some hobo managed to slip onto the track...

chVBfKI.jpg

Last edited:

J-Roderton

Sucks for racing point. Also for Perez. Not really a fan of the guy, but I’ve enjoyed seeing him on the track so far this season.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
The situation with Racing Point is an interesting one. Basically all other teams from the midfield are against them now (including Ferrari). Obviously no one wants cheaters in the sport, but it's also about that sweet prize money you get at the end of the year.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
The precedent is interesting and most people are sensibly predicting that you’ll see more clones, ie the two Red Bull teams. The bigger impact however will be teams actively working together and splitting costs, especially with the budget cap. Red Bull are especially well placed to do this as they own two teams rather than just having a loose association, so they can have one team handle the brakes and suspension say and the other handle the aero. Splitting development between two notionally separate teams will enable savings but more likely will see teams that can do it bypass the cost cap.

Pobb

Neo Member
Hi all, first post in this thread.
What an amazing quali from Hulk!
I'm a Brit so it's great to see Russell and Lando both doing well.
Looking forward to the race tomorrow.
Hulkenberg obviously getting a drive somewhere next season.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching that session after work tonight. Hulk was smashing in great times all through qualy, well done to Danny Ric too.
Nice job by Bottas on a great performance as well.

I still can't get used to seeing Redbull fighting for position with the upper-midfield teams and Ferrari sitting in the slowest half of the grid.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Hi all, first post in this thread.
What an amazing quali from Hulk!
I'm a Brit so it's great to see Russell and Lando both doing well.
Looking forward to the race tomorrow.
Hulkenberg obviously getting a drive somewhere next season.
It would be nice if Checo & Hulk reunited while driving for Haas (assuming Seb signs with Racing Point), it would also mean Haas would stay in F1 for at least another year.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
It would be nice if Checo & Hulk reunited while driving for Haas (assuming Seb signs with Racing Point), it would also mean Haas would stay in F1 for at least another year.
They deserve better than that.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I know, but it's better to drive for Haas than be out of F1. Other than Haas Kimi's seat is probably going to be the only free one after this year.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I know, but it's better to drive for Haas than be out of F1. Other than Haas Kimi's seat is probably going to be the only free one after this year.

That’s the sorry state of F1 - only a tiny number of seats worth having. I think Kimi’s spot will go to a Ferrari development driver, presumably whoever’s doing best in F2.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Not watched F1 in ages - Verstappen is in beast mode.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Glad I watched that one - a good fun race. Brilliant result, good to see the best driver on the grid get the win. The guy is a beast.

Mohonky

It's interesting, Mercs biggest advantage is also their biggest weakness. The Merc has such downforce and works its tyres so well, but when the track temp goes too high the Merc just cant deal with it.

Do kind of feel for Bottas with the way the race unfolded, but another race where Hamilton pulls further from what is probably his biggest title rival so not complaing.

Good on Hulk, pity about that pit stop, what a waste.

Albon had some balls with those overtakes on the outside.

K.Mag what a fucking dick that move was hitting Latifi.

......and Vettel. Man he has totally checked out from Ferrari, he just doesnt give a fuck anymore. I wouldnt surprised if Ferrari put someone else in by the end of the year, that relationship is even more sour than when Alonso was leaving.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member

Lewis was so upset he stole Max's trophy. ;)

I'm glad for Max, I didn't expect a win from them after losing so much to Mercedes in previous races. A shame Hulk had to pit before the end, but at least the team got some good points and it wasn't worth the risk of DNF'ing.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
It's interesting, Mercs biggest advantage is also their biggest weakness. The Merc has such downforce and works its tyres so well, but when the track temp goes too high the Merc just cant deal with it.

Do kind of feel for Bottas with the way the race unfolded, but another race where Hamilton pulls further from what is probably his biggest title rival so not complaing.

Good on Hulk, pity about that pit stop, what a waste.

Albon had some balls with those overtakes on the outside.

K.Mag what a fucking dick that move was hitting Latifi.

......and Vettel. Man he has totally checked out from Ferrari, he just doesnt give a fuck anymore. I wouldnt surprised if Ferrari put someone else in by the end of the year, that relationship is even more sour than when Alonso was leaving.

The problem with Bottas is that he’s a good boy. The engineer says pit next lap and like a good boy he does it. Notice how Max said no when his team said slow down? And Lewis questions decisions too - mostly it’s just whining but it is at least better than passively accepting what he’s given.

On Vettel, the spin was ridiculous but that one radio message - he’s absolutely had enough. I feel bad for him, he seems really just so fed up.

A bit late, but man oh man Max is HUNGRY. Give him a car that's like 2/3 as good as a Mercedes and he'll make Hamilton his bitch.

And I'm looking forward to see my man Seb on rally or shit like that, just out of F1. This is not a dignifying way to go, he deserved better. Happy to see Leclerc racing well all things considered. Everyone on the current Ferrari team should be nuked out of existence, except Leclerc. He can stay. He's pretty good.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

Meanwhile we have Ricciardo describing his spin as a 'Seb Spin'. Tough times for Seb.

Top Bottom