• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 Season 2020 |OT| Drive to Survive 2 - who drinks champagne from a shoe?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Lando has had a good couple of weeks.
He's racking up the points in my F1 Fantasy team at least as he's my boosted driver.

Pleased to see McLaren improving. Poor Sainz looks like he's going to be making a backwards move. I wonder if Ferrari will get it together in time for 2021?

McLaren even had a good IndyCar race yesterday - 2nd in the 2nd race of the double-header at Road America (so nearly a win but they couldn't quite get it).

JimiNutz

Banned
McLaren even had a good IndyCar race yesterday - 2nd in the 2nd race of the double-header at Road America (so nearly a win but they couldn't quite get it).

Ah cool, it's great to see them on this upward trajectory. I know everyone else is still a long way off Mercedes but Red Bull, McLaren and Racing Point all seem pretty solid. The competition between those teams should be interesting. Renault car still seems very unreliable. I'm pleased Riccardo is moving to McLaren for next season.

V4skunk

Banned
2021 will be a sad year for Spanish fans, both Carlos and Nando will be in the teams likely focusing as much as possible on 2022.
But isn't Alonso Spanish? And racing for Renault?
He is one of my all time top drivers! Also a great man who is down to earth and not from a wealthy back ground.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Rumors circulating that Seb could sign with Racing Point for the next season and replace Checo. Perez might go to Haas with his sponsors. Would be a win for (almost) everyone if Haas got rid of Grosjean to make room for Checo and Seb finally had a seat in (last year's) Mercedes. :)

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

That sounds like a win-win. Vettel in a Mercedes clone could be fun. Perez going to Haas immediately make them better and brings money.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Rumors circulating that Seb could sign with Racing Point for the next season and replace Checo. Perez might go to Haas with his sponsors. Would be a win for (almost) everyone if Haas got rid of Grosjean to make room for Checo and Seb finally had a seat in (last year's) Mercedes. :)

Perez deserves better than Haas - they’re bloody awful.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I mean for him it's better to have a Haas seat than not be in F1 at all. I think Haas can rebuild and go back to being competetive in the midfield. They're not a lost case like Williams. ;)

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I mean for him it's better to have a Haas seat than not be in F1 at all. I think Haas can rebuild and go back to being competetive in the midfield. They're not a lost case like Williams. ;)

Honestly Haas are a lost cause. They did ok initially copying Ferrari but now Ferrari are more of a basket case than usual and Haas haven't built up the skills to really build their own car competently (and yes that problem will bite Force India eventually).

xrnzaaas

Gold Member

Damn, George doesn't sound happy that Williams forced him to stick with the 3 year contract and drive in 2021 for them. Maybe he got real offers from Mercedes or McLaren?

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I really hope Sergio gets multiple podiums or even a win this year so at least he'll get something out of it before Seb takes his place.

Last edited:
Q1 ends with Racing Point 1 + 2 with a Williams in the top 10. Damn.

Q3 ends. Mercedes 1-2-3-4 meme is real.

LMWNC7S.jpg

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

Jesus F1 is depressing. Mercedes is relentless and the only team close is the one that photocopied their 2019 car. Ferrari and Redbull have fallen into F1.5

JimiNutz

Banned
Merc mini had a good day.
Red Bull seem to be having issues, Albon looks like his confidence is low.
Ferrari have maybe got it together as well?

Business

Merc mini had a good day.
Red Bull seem to be having issues, Albon looks like his confidence is low.
Ferrari have maybe got it together as well?

+1,3 is still brutal for Ferrari, on a long lap like Spa it would be like +1,8. Ridiculous difference between Mercedes and the rest.

JimiNutz

Banned
+1,3 is still brutal for Ferrari, on a long lap like Spa it would be like +1,8. Ridiculous difference between Mercedes and the rest.

Yeah the Mercs are so far ahead that if you're only interested in the battle for the top team then it's boring.

Luckily (thanks to Drive to Survive lol) I'm more interested in the battle for second/third and at the moment it does seem quite tight there?

Ferrari seem so much slower than last season and although Leclerc is proving to be a great driver, Vettel don't seem to have his heart really in it. They've had a disastrous start to the season as well and I'm not that confident that they'll turn it around and manage to get second again this season.

Red Bull seem to be having more issues with their car then expected and although Max is always great, Albon seems to be significantly slower and a bit low on confidence. This should be the season that they overtake Ferrari and come second but I'm not 100% confident that it'll happen now.

McLaren seem to be on an upward trajectory and Norris is having a great start to the season. They probably aren't capable of taking second but maybe third which would be a nice improvement on last season.

Racing Point seem to have a great car (basically last years Merc?) and Stroll is driving surprisingly well considering many thought he was all money and little talent ? Racing Point look the most improved out of everyone and could be pushing for third which would be a crazy improvement on last seasons 7th place finish.

I appreciate it's very early and much can change but this season is definitely entertaining me so far.

Business

Shwartzman did very well last year in F3 and couldn't have started better the season, Schumacher better step up his game considering they are in the same team and both under Ferrari's umbrella. I'd have liked to see Vips in F2 too but maybe Super Formula will be better for him, I could see Red Bull eventually getting rid of Kvyat and giving him a chance in Alpha Tauri, if he does well in Japan that is.

Last edited:
The F2 race was superb. Shwartzman did an amazing job on the medium tyres to get them to run 27 laps at a solid pace. We saw how much they fell off for the rest. Mick has a real fight on his hands for that Alfa seat next year if Kimi retires, and I can see them sticking Shwartzman in there if he wins the title. As for Vips, he could easily get a run this year if he does well in Japan. Kvyat has been off the pace of Gasly so far this year, and while I'll be sad to see him go, I don't think he's ever going to be fighting for a championship. Needs to get his head down and start out-qualifying Pierre.

Gonna be a cakewalk for Mercedes tomorrow, unfortunately. Here's hoping the run into trouble or we have rain to spice things up a bit. Would love to see Racing Point on the podium. They have a real shot starting on the medium as we saw in the F2 race.

Shwartzman did very well last year in F3 and couldn't have started better the season, Schumacher better step up his game considering they are in the same team and both under Ferrari's umbrella. I'd have liked to see Vips in F2 too but maybe Super Formula will be better for him, I could see Red Bull eventually getting rid of Kvyat and giving him a chance in Alpha Tauri, if he does well in Japan that is.

Schumi has been solid, he beat everyone else with that had the same strat today, he has good race pace but shit luck with car reliability, his weakspot is qualifications. Guy works hard, he will keep improving

Last edited:
Simon Lazenby having a go at the drivers not kneeling again. “The message is in danger of being lost”. Not with you banging on about it every 30 seconds.
What is this guy’s problem? Seriously? Why is he so obsessed with six guys getting on their knees?

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Lol both Ferrari cars got lapped and Leclerc finished the race behind a Haas. Merc B Team ended up having a great result, for a moment there I though they would be much much weaker than in qualifying. Max drove an incredible race - from a near DNF to second place and he's the only one being able to keep up with the Mercedes A Team.

JimiNutz

Banned
Lol both Ferrari cars got lapped and Leclerc finished the race behind a Haas. Merc B Team ended up having a great result, for a moment there I though they would be much much weaker than in qualifying. Max drove an incredible race - from a near DNF to second place and he's the only one being able to keep up with the Mercedes A Team.

Yeah Max had an incredible race when you consider he started P7 and drove into a wall 30 mins before the start :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Albon did well also (so long as he doesn't get disqualified).

Not a great race for McLaren though. It's still pretty tight for second and third constructor!

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Oh and I love that Max won't bend the fucking knee. Seriously, dude got racing blue balls. Give him a car with a decent chance and we're seeing some revenge plot unfold.
Even Ted was moaning about it in his latest Notebook. The entire British press is infected with this crap.

Sad to see Haas get a penalty, means they've lost a place to Alfa.

Breakage

Catching the end of the Channel 4 (UK) highlights and seeing the presenters and Lewis Hamilton criticise the drivers for rushing the kneeling process. It's absolute cult-like bullshit. I dunno how David Coulthard (he is one of the presenters) can say it's for a “great cause” with a straight face. Has he not seen all violence, looting, and racist sentiments that have emerged as a result of this so-called “great cause”?

Last edited:
Top Bottom