• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 Season 2020 |OT| Drive to Survive 2 - who drinks champagne from a shoe?

Fox Mulder

Some media outlets are reporting that Fernando is coming back after all, I gotta say even if I think it's a shitty decision it'll be nice to have him on the grid after Seb leaves.

they needed a splash hire to not look like losers. They couldn’t just go back with Hulkenberg and their young drivers lack super license points and aren’t a Russell, Leclerc, or Lando. Why would Vettel or Bottas go there.

It likely ends Alonso’s time with the Indy 500 too.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Some media outlets are reporting that Fernando is coming back after all, I gotta say even if I think it's a shitty decision it'll be nice to have him on the grid after Seb leaves.

Fernando is a great driver, but he makes horrible career decisions. He should have done Indy full time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fernando is a great driver, but he makes horrible career decisions. He should have done Indy full time.
I'd put him up there with the best of the best, but I agree that his career has been ruined by terrible decisions and falling out with people in the wrong place at the wrong time. Shame.
Renault is a shadow of its former self. No way he'll even get close to the podium in that car, it'll be McLaren Honda all over again.

Business

I'd put him up there with the best of the best, but I agree that his career has been ruined by terrible decisions and falling out with people in the wrong place at the wrong time. Shame.
Renault is a shadow of its former self. No way he'll even get close to the podium in that car, it'll be McLaren Honda all over again.

Only hope is they really nail the 2022 rules, which seems... unlikely.

Tschumi

I'm sorry for a hot take, but i have had an opinion on formula 1 for years now - since vettel's 3rd title perhaps - and I'm gonna go ahead and voice it here...

... I find it next to impossible to get stirred up about this sport. I think the only reason i got so high on Schumie et al in the 90s is because i was too young to really understand how predetermined and tilted it all is. Either that or it has simply become hugely tilted in recent years.

It seems to me, and i could be wrong, but it seems to be that there's one team who wins it, their top driver wins it, without fail, year at year. There is a race to be the single guy in the whole field who is in that hot seat, but really that race is futile for nine in ten of them.

Now, i know, this is a pretty unimaginative thing to be worked up about after we've had the same 2 winners for NINE F*CKING YEARS but obviously despite its simplicity it really is a pretty debilitating limitation for a competitive sport. One guy can win it, and only that guy wins it.

What determines it? The best car. What determines that? The most money, the best staff, the greatest genius.

Okay, sure, at this layer, the layer of engineering genius duking it out, the sport is pretty great... But this is a competitive sport, not an engineering world tour! Hamilton, he's great, but is anyone gonna say he's as great as the people whose records he is vincing (Sebula reference), in this age where he is basically glued to the top seat in the top team? Schumacher, okay he isn't quite as separate from Hamilton as I'd like, but the great winners of the 80s? There's no contest. Back then the sport really was about sheer racing genius and balls, back then it was a shimmering pinnacle to motor sports... What we have today? Unregulated megaTeams with unlimited funds? No.

So, for me, formula one has entirely lost any appeal it once held for me.

**The above was my hot take, I'm not claiming to be speaking some kind of definitive truth, and i am aware that I've just parachuted into a forum community of people who care about this sport and told them i don't rate it. I'm sorry for hurt feelings, etc, and I'm happy to talk it out with anyone. I recognize that since i haven't watched it in years, i may have missed some deeper title races than I've observed from the outside. Let me know :) do you think anyone other than Hamilton can win this season? At least he's got off to a shaky start after the last race~

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
they needed a splash hire to not look like losers. They couldn’t just go back with Hulkenberg and their young drivers lack super license points and aren’t a Russell, Leclerc, or Lando. Why would Vettel or Bottas go there.

It likely ends Alonso’s time with the Indy 500 too.
I get that, but this combination works well if your car is actually decent. Renault isn't even at the front of the midfield anymore and they're still struggling with reliability. Hiring a star driver and paying him xx million euros will make a good headline and some good (initial) PR, but you won't start scoring big points unless the car is good.

Big contracts are good in disciplines where everything or most depends on the athlete, not when it's a sport where the machines matter the most. Of course when you stand a chance at winning the championship you need that extra 5% by hiring a very talented and a very fast driver. Not in the midfield though.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Sorry for more questions but does anyone listen to any F1 podcasts?

I've been listening to Missed Apex, which I'm enjoying so far, but don't really have anything to compare it to.

Business

I'm sorry for a hot take, but i have had an opinion on formula 1 for years now - since vettel's 3rd title perhaps - and I'm gonna go ahead and voice it here...

... I find it next to impossible to get stirred up about this sport. I think the only reason i got so high on Schumie et al in the 90s is because i was too young to really understand how predetermined and tilted it all is. Either that or it has simply become hugely tilted in recent years.

It seems to me, and i could be wrong, but it seems to be that there's one team who wins it, their top driver wins it, without fail, year at year. There is a race to be the single guy in the whole field who is in that hot seat, but really that race is futile for nine in ten of them.

Now, i know, this is a pretty unimaginative thing to be worked up about after we've had the same 2 winners for NINE F*CKING YEARS but obviously despite its simplicity it really is a pretty debilitating limitation for a competitive sport. One guy can win it, and only that guy wins it.

What determines it? The best car. What determines that? The most money, the best staff, the greatest genius.

Okay, sure, at this layer, the layer of engineering genius duking it out, the sport is pretty great... But this is a competitive sport, not an engineering world tour! Hamilton, he's great, but is anyone gonna say he's as great as the people whose records he is vincing (Sebula reference), in this age where he is basically glued to the top seat in the top team? Schumacher, okay he isn't quite as separate from Hamilton as I'd like, but the great winners of the 80s? There's no contest. Back then the sport really was about sheer racing genius and balls, back then it was a shimmering pinnacle to motor sports... What we have today? Unregulated megaTeams with unlimited funds? No.

So, for me, formula one has entirely lost any appeal it once held for me.

**The above was my hot take, I'm not claiming to be speaking some kind of definitive truth, and i am aware that I've just parachuted into a forum community of people who care about this sport and told them i don't rate it. I'm sorry for hurt feelings, etc, and I'm happy to talk it out with anyone. I recognize that since i haven't watched it in years, i may have missed some deeper title races than I've observed from the outside. Let me know :) do you think anyone other than Hamilton can win this season? At least he's got off to a shaky start after the last race~

I think that's quite true but there's still fun to have. If you just focus on who will be champion yes there's not much to it, at best two top teams are close and their two top drivers fight it out, or at least there's a fight within the top team like in 2016, and at worst yes the dominant driver of the dominant team takes the championship easy. It is a bit silly then when you see people crying GOAT based on numbers only and while for example I do think Hamilton is one of the greats I also think he's enjoyed an incredible period at Mercedes where a lot of other guys in the grid would have made incredible numbers as well. Personally I couldn't care less then when Hamilton breaks Senna's pole record or Schumacher's record of race wins, or Fangio's world titles. It all has to be taken with a huge grain of salt because everything is different, eras, rivals, rules, safety/risk, circuits, lenght of the championship, number of seasons completed and the list goes on and on.

But there's more to the races you can look forward to, there's all the team mate battles of every team, the fight in the midfield is decent, every race taken individually has the potential to be exciting like Austria ended up being due to changing conditions, mechanical problems, safety cars or random scraps. Sure then the championship as the sum of all races evens out unpredictability and that's the problem but there's at least hope for every race. Of course at times it sucks and you watch a car parade on an uneventful Monaco GP with everyone lapping 2 seconds slower than they could because nobody can overtake anyway and everyone is managing tyres and fuel, but it is what it is. There's big hopes for the 2022 rules at least.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Wtf is wrong with Lewis lately

Lewis Hamilton reveals that his beloved bulldog Roscoe 'is now fully vegan'... following the death of his other pet pooch

Lewis Hamilton has revealed that his beloved bulldog Roscoe 'is now fully vegan' following the death of his other pet pooch.

The Formula One pro, 35, made the announcement on his pet's Instagram page, which boasts more than 178,000 followers.

He uploaded a picture of the adorable dog alongside a caption that read: 'Hey guys, so Roscoe is now fully vegan.

'Since he has gone vegan, his coat is much softer, his swollen paws have healed up, he is no longer limping with pain of arthritis and his breathing has opened up.

'Super happy with the result and he is too.'

Roscoe, whose parents are both champion show dogs, has previously found success as a model with Lewis revealing the pooch earns $700 for a shoot.

He is so important to the sportsman that he has had his sperm frozen so after retirement he can use a breeder to get more puppies.

But the announcement comes after scientists warned that pet owners were putting their cats and dogs at risk of infection by feeding them homemade, raw, vegetarian and vegan diets.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

Lewis Hamilton reveals that his beloved bulldog Roscoe 'is now fully vegan'... following the death of his other pet pooch

Lewis Hamilton has revealed that his beloved bulldog Roscoe 'is now fully vegan' following the death of his other pet pooch.

The Formula One pro, 35, made the announcement on his pet's Instagram page, which boasts more than 178,000 followers.

He uploaded a picture of the adorable dog alongside a caption that read: 'Hey guys, so Roscoe is now fully vegan.

'Since he has gone vegan, his coat is much softer, his swollen paws have healed up, he is no longer limping with pain of arthritis and his breathing has opened up.

Roscoe, whose parents are both champion show dogs, has previously found success as a model with Lewis revealing the pooch earns $700 for a shoot.

He is so important to the sportsman that he has had his sperm frozen so after retirement he can use a breeder to get more puppies.

But the announcement comes after scientists warned that pet owners were putting their cats and dogs at risk of infection by feeding them homemade, raw, vegetarian and vegan diets.

I’ll just leave this here.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member

Personally I dispise people who make others vegan, whether it's their children or pets. Everyone should decide for themselves if they like / want meat or not. ;)

Anyway, back to more important things - welcome back Fernando. Hopefully it's not gonna be a gp2 contract. ;)

Last edited:

Tschumi

I think that's quite true but there's still fun to have. If you just focus on who will be champion yes there's not much to it, at best two top teams are close and their two top drivers fight it out, or at least there's a fight within the top team like in 2016, and at worst yes the dominant driver of the dominant team takes the championship easy. It is a bit silly then when you see people crying GOAT based on numbers only and while for example I do think Hamilton is one of the greats I also think he's enjoyed an incredible period at Mercedes where a lot of other guys in the grid would have made incredible numbers as well. Personally I couldn't care less then when Hamilton breaks Senna's pole record or Schumacher's record of race wins, or Fangio's world titles. It all has to be taken with a huge grain of salt because everything is different, eras, rivals, rules, safety/risk, circuits, lenght of the championship, number of seasons completed and the list goes on and on.

But there's more to the races you can look forward to, there's all the team mate battles of every team, the fight in the midfield is decent, every race taken individually has the potential to be exciting like Austria ended up being due to changing conditions, mechanical problems, safety cars or random scraps. Sure then the championship as the sum of all races evens out unpredictability and that's the problem but there's at least hope for every race. Of course at times it sucks and you watch a car parade on an uneventful Monaco GP with everyone lapping 2 seconds slower than they could because nobody can overtake anyway and everyone is managing tyres and fuel, but it is what it is. There's big hopes for the 2022 rules at least.
Champ! Thanks very much for taking the time to address my thoughts :)

I see and appreciate your logic. The idea that there are threads of intrigue outside of Hamilton's nth world championship run is one that I should have considered :) Glad to see we agree on Hamilton's place in the history of the sport... I guess I don't have sufficient RL ram left over after all the other sports I follow religiously, but if I ever find myself in a position where F1 hoves into view again I'll keep your thoughts in mind :)

Return of The King

I choose to believe this guy was the last driver of the pre-monopoly era :p

Last edited by a moderator:
So Sky have spent a good part of their FP1 coverage tearing into the 6 drivers who didn't take a knee last week. "We need unity" - Hamilton, "Look at what football has done" (i.e everyone taking the knee)
"It's about the gesture" - Simon Whatshisnameshitpresenter. Brundle raised an important point about how this goes forward, who pays for it, how success is measured, and immediately Simon P. Bellend interjects, "but, at least in my point of view, that's not important in the here and now". What a dick. No actual discussion, only compliance. Just agenda pushing.

Jenson making a little bit of sense at least, saying 100% of the drivers are committed and that's more important than the gesture of kneeling.

It's not take a knee, it's bend the knee or feel the wrath of the mob.

Disgusting that Sky keep pushing this, especially that god awful presenter who knows sweet FA about F1. So tried of it already, can we not please just discuss the racing instead of this awful politically motivated authoritarianism?

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Imo even if they all submitted and kneeled down it wouldn't stop the circus, they'd just come up with other, more aggressive ways of forcing the drivers to show their support.

I'm glad I'm watching F1 with my local commentary which doesn't give a crap about all that stuff and just focuses on commenting track action.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

V4skunk

Banned
I think it's safe to say that Ferrari have the worst engine on the grid right now, because all Ferrari powered teams have suffered greatly. It's not a coincidence that the details of the "settlement" with the FIA after their investigation weren't made public. The tricks Ferrari came up with must've contributed to being able to stay close to the top.

Renault also continues to be a joke. A customer team finished 6 tenths ahead of them.
It looks like the rumours are true that Ferrari were doing something with burning oil in the combustion chambers. They were probably doing it with a leaking turbo bearing on the compressor half.

Mark my words, he will come out of the closet after retierment.
His girlfriend / ex Naomi Campbell is also on Epsteins flight logs and has visited paedo island.

Something will come out i'm 100% sure.

Last edited:

Business

1.2 seconds, ahead of the nearest opponent, that is epic.

....and what a top 10 we have!

That's specially bad for Bottas in the same car. Max wasn't really that far away in a car that's great but is not the Mercedes, and Sainz did it in a McLaren.

Fox Mulder

You know it's bad when Russell qualifies just behind Leclerc, geez.

Also what happened to the Force Indias?

There hasn’t been much wet practice at all for setups, which would presumably really hurt a team like Racing Point that fully copied their new car this year. Stroll still looked good in rain again.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm here for race 2 (last week was the first F1 race I've watched in 15 years!)
Getting drunk with the gf and hoping that this race is as entertaining as last weeks.

Hopefully Red Bull have a better luck this week, especially Albon (for my F1 Fantasy team).

Leclerc is in a terrible position so will be really interesting to see how many places he can make up. Ferrari really looking awful this year.

Also hoping that Lando has another good race, the loveable little scamp lol

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Good God Simon Lazenby, will you shut the fuck up about BLM and kneeling.
It's funny how some people are saying that kneeling wasn't mandatory and was up to each driver to decide, but the "journalists" like him will still keep pushing the drivers until they all finally submit or are forced to by the teams to kneel.

Same with the "2nd racism" t-shirts, there's going to be a clown shown lasting an entire season.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Pretty boring race except for the last lap, I'm glad Lando had a very lucky second race. He needs that after a pretty unlucky previous season.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I wonder how Carlos Sainz feels about moving to Ferrari.
agfLmCl.jpg

Fox Mulder

Mercedes is gonna walk this season again with Ferrari gone and Redbull not up to their level yet.

Ferrari is fucked until 2022 probably, but at least they made for a good show when they cheated.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
At least the fight for third in the constructor's should be interesting. I'm hoping for a close fight between McLaren and Racing Point.

Business

Alright race. Better for Red Bull this week.

Eh... better result but a much worst feeling. Last week RedBull looked like they could fight for the win, even with Max out, Albon had a shot at it before Hamilton took him out. Today Albon was more than half minute behind and even though I think Max drove an amazing race he never had a chance. Looks like it's gonna be another easy one for Mercedes and I have little faith Bottas can challenge Hamilton.

What an amazing talent Max is though, this move was just insane.

I was watching the whole thing from Bottas' onboard, easy DRS pass and then I see Max on the outside again... I nearly fell out of my chair.

JimiNutz

Banned
Lando has had a good couple of weeks.
He's racking up the points in my F1 Fantasy team at least as he's my boosted driver.

Pleased to see McLaren improving. Poor Sainz looks like he's going to be making a backwards move. I wonder if Ferrari will get it together in time for 2021?

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
2021 will be a sad year for Spanish fans, both Carlos and Nando will be in the teams likely focusing as much as possible on 2022.

Top Bottom