• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 Season 2019 |OT| Sons of Liberty (Media)

Fox Mulder

Bullshit penalty absolutely ruined the race. Vettel keeps making mistakes that cost him though.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Watched it a few times, then realized the mercedes cards are just faster then the others. Which results in them always winning. Boring as hell to watch.

Mohonky

Dunno how I feel about that. On the one hand, it totally killed the tension for the end of the race, on the other that seems like a fairly clear cut penalty. Any which way you look at it, Vettel leaves the track and retains his position solely by the fact the car behind has to take evasive measures. That's a fairly straight forward penalty and is a dangerous re-entry to the track, whether intentional or not.

Still feels hollow as a Hamilton fan seeing a victory like that but if Vettel hadn't re-entered the track the way he did Hamilton gets the pass and takes the lead anyway so I dunno.

Steiners comment to Magnussen as a fucking highlight though, lol. Reminds me of when Grojean was whinging all race and the engineer told him to shut up.

Gasly is just.....god he is not ready for that car. Gone at the end of the year, if not before. He's just not even remotely in the same league as Verstappen. I mean Verstappen is a damn fast driver, but Gasly shouldn't be so far off the pace.

Stroll drove amazingly,who'd have thought.

Another great drive by Kyvat, he should probably be in Gasly's seat, it would be hilarious if that actually happen. Hired, promoted, demoted, fired, rehired.......promoted?

Unbelievable to see Mclaren just melt its suspension. Never seen that one before.

Last edited:

Zaru

Armchair expert opinion from driving a lot of Montreal in F1 games: That corner is a fucking bitch if you make a mistake at the entry. You've got a split second to make a decision to avoid hitting the wall. I'm not fond of Vettel's error-proneness and red mist moments, but there's not much he could do in that situation, let alone closing the door intentionally.

Makariel

That penalty pretty much killed all my interest in the race right there. I watch Formula 1 for the racing and as entertainment, having the race decided by a 5 second time penalty is not entertainment. It's not quite as bad as in Formula E, where nobody knows who actually won the bloody race until a week later because it takes them so long to go through their rulebook, but we're getting there.

Was the penalty justified? Sure, you can justify anything and he didn't leave "enough space" on re-entry. But I would have thought that the rule should not be applied if the car is out of control. Simple fact is: without the penalty Lewis would have been much more on his tail to try to overtake, and the race would have been a nail-biter until the last minute. This way it was decided 15 laps before the end in a way that is simply not satisfying to watch. I usually defend F1 from anyone who claims it's "boring to watch 20 cars drive in a circle", but I find it hard not to argue how boring the races were this year so far.

I'm with Mario Andretti and Nigel Mansell on this one:

lkmgqtfkwd331.png

Also, speaking of clear-cut penalties:

No penalty was given for Lewis there for his unforced mistake.

One highlight of yesterdays GP was again Gunther Steiner, hero to us all, Master of the swear-jar:

Last edited:
Exciting race and the wrong man won. I’m a huge Hamilton fan, not a Ferrari fan at all, that penalty was BS. Vettel’s mistake lead him on that trajectory. He didn’t re-enter the track unsafely, he had an off and recovered. Nowhere else he could have gone. Let them race.

Makariel

Another Mercedes 1-2. Today's race was pretty boring to watch. I dozed off a few times and even the last minute frenzy where the cameras didn't seem to catch the action because they probably fell asleep as well wasn't great. Nobody could touch Lewis today, and I don't think anyone will for the rest of the season. Bottas simply isn't on the same level.

WTF Gasly? One lap down on the Red Bull? Only managed to slip into the points because of the 10 second penalty for Ricciardo? His F1 career might be over before his second season.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Another Mercedes 1-2. Today's race was pretty boring to watch. I dozed off a few times and even the last minute frenzy where the cameras didn't seem to catch the action because they probably fell asleep as well wasn't great. Nobody could touch Lewis today, and I don't think anyone will for the rest of the season. Bottas simply isn't on the same level.

WTF Gasly? One lap down on the Red Bull? Only managed to slip into the points because of the 10 second penalty for Ricciardo? His F1 career might be over before his second season.

And this sums up why I gave up on F1 and switched to IndyCar.

Fox Mulder

It really was a boring ass race. My optimism that Ferrari or Redbull would win this year has been destroyed. Bottas still isn't up to challenging Lewis although I assume he'll do better at Austria.

I enjoyed the Indycar race and a runaway victory there was seen as an amazing feat rather than just fucking boring like F1.

Breakage

Yeah, I accidentally heard the results on the radio so didn't watch the race highlights this evening. It really looks as if Lewis is on the way to his sixth WDC.

Makariel

Fell asleep during race. What did Ricciardo get a penalty for?
Leaving the track and gaining a lasting advantage. He overtook Kimi Raikkonberg on the parking area next to the track. Plus another 5 seconds for forcing Lando Calrissian off the track.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
What a snoozefest of a race, also the grandstands looked pretty empty in many places, people were probably pissed off after the horrors of being stuck in traffic last year.

A shame that Lando lost a very good place, at least the stewards weren't afraid to punish Daniel. Also Gasly really needs to go, a few more races like that and he'll get replaced by Kvyat for sure.

AlphaMale

Also Gasly really needs to go, a few more races like that and he'll get replaced by Kvyat for sure.

That'd be really funny if they replaced Gasly with Kvyat. To be honest, as much has Kyvat has improved this season, I somehow feel like he needs another year at TR to mature a little more.

If Renault signs Ocon, then I think TR signing Hulkenberg would be a good choice.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
That'd be really funny if they replaced Gasly with Kvyat. To be honest, as much has Kyvat has improved this season, I somehow feel like he needs another year at TR to mature a little more.

If Renault signs Ocon, then I think TR signing Hulkenberg would be a good choice.
Nah, Toro Rosso is still focused on Red Bull young drivers program. Even Kvyat is still very young and a year at Ferrari potentially helped him. I don't think they would want to sign a 31 year old driver from another team.

Grieves

Well that was a cracking race. I don't usually like the A1 ring but Max was fantastic.

Gotta feel a little sorry for Leclerc as I don't think he's going to have too many chances this year.

Fox Mulder

F1 gets good just about anytime Mercedes is out of the picture. They need a BOP system or something.

The stewards taking hours to announce their decision after everyone leaves is a joke though. Other sports don't have this problem with rules and refs.

Last edited:

Yagami_Sama

That was unexpected. Verstappen did a great job. Good for him and for his team. And that was good for Honda, a "healthy" work environment and a well design car, really helped them develop a good power unit.

And good to see both McLaren having a good performance. If things keep like that, maybe they may score a podium.

Fox Mulder

Honda Mclaren was a shit show, but glad they're both doing great apart. Lando and Sainz are so fun together like a grumpy cloud lifted from the team.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I'm glad it's working out in the end for both teams. RBR got their Honda win despite doubts and McLaren isn't doing that bad after the divorce.

As for the race, awesome drive by Max, but Gasly really needs to be replaced. My dream scenario would be Ricciardo dumping Renault and going back to RBR. Renault is never going to leave midfield. Plus it shouldn't take too many seasons for either Ferrari or Mercedes to hire Verstappen. ;)

Last edited:

Makariel

Just caught up with the race now since I was busy with my wedding over the weekend. Great race, best one this season and best one in a while actually. Max having issues at the start and charging back to the front was a joy to watch. Feel sorry for Leclerc but Max was the better driver in the better car this time. The battle between them for the first place was amazing, want to see more of that and less Mercedes 1-2 for the rest of the season, but I'm aware that won't be happening...

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
There's at least the Rich Energy drama even if the race turns out to be a boring one. ;)

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
As per the rest of this season I'll be ignoring the F1 in favour of the IndyCar race. I really should do an IndyCar thread...

Silentium

British GP prediction: Bottas slow off the line, Hamilton takes lead by Abbey (although I'd prefer Bottas to bring it home and keep some heat in the WDC)

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

This is a great race because of Leclerc and Verstappen even if Mercedes is running away. Bottas got fucked by a safety car and Ferrari screwed Leclerc as usual.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Wife turned the TV over just as Vettel was about to hit Verstappen. Seriously Vettel is done.

Re IndyCar I'll look to put something together next week as I would like to make it a quality product with lots of info for newbies etc.

Grieves

Some great racing today. I am starting to really like Leclerc.

Vettal has got to get his head straight though. He's still a great driver but the mistakes are too frequent and too costly.

Fox Mulder

Vettel seems checked out. He's been at Ferrari since 2015 and isn't winning a title there. Leclerc is their future and Merc is still too good. Hamilton owns his soul anytime they fight anyways.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
The fights between Leclerc and Verstappen were great. As for Seb I don't think he'll retire yet with the regulations changing not that long from now. But yeah, Ferrari had more chances with Alonso than with him (when the car delivered).

Last edited:
Vettel seems checked out. He's been at Ferrari since 2015 and isn't winning a title there. Leclerc is their future and Merc is still too good. Hamilton owns his soul anytime they fight anyways.

Hamilton doesn't own dick, Vettel would absolutely never lose to Rosberg. Thing is, Vettel is probably tired of seeing the Mercedes cars being alien and that absolutely moronic penalty probably killed any love he had for the sport. He's a broken man, but Hamilton has nothing to do with it. 1v1 with equal cars and you still got to take the german.

Breakage

I was surprised that Verstappen shook Vettel's hand after that incident. It's a contrast to his reaction to Ocon at last year's Brazilian GP.

AlphaMale

I was surprised that Verstappen shook Vettel's hand after that incident. It's a contrast to his reaction to Ocon at last year's Brazilian GP.

That's cuz when Max questioned why he would take this unnecessary risk when he was already lapped, Ocon snarkily said, "because I was quicker".
It's a dick thing to say and dick attitude. (reminds of me of Senna/Irvin back in the day)
I really liked Ocon up until that incident...

Makariel

Just caught up with the race last night. Good race, I especially liked the Verstappen vs Leclerc fight, that is my main thing to watch out for the rest of this season. The DWC will be a Mercedes, that's certain already, they are just untouchable if not an odd weekend like Austria happens where they are mysteriously off the pace.

AlphaMale

Just caught up with the race last night. Good race, I especially liked the Verstappen vs Leclerc fight, that is my main thing to watch out for the rest of this season. The DWC will be a Mercedes, that's certain already, they are just untouchable if not an odd weekend like Austria happens where they are mysteriously off the pace.

Yeah, it was awesome fun to watch!
I like LeClerc's response in the post-race interview where he said something to the effect of, "...now we know we're allowed to race and rub elbows". Should make for an enjoyable second half of the season if we see more battles like this!

Watching live, half way through today's race so far (Hockenheim). This race is nuts, there's something happening every lap and a massive drama every 5th lap or so.

Mohonky

I'm so disappointed in Hamiltons performance today. Going off the track caught everyone off guard, even Verstappen who won the race went off, but Hamilton is so hot and cold; when he believes he can win, he is unstoppable, but when he feels defeated, he just seems to get stuck. After that pit stop behind the safety car with the penalty, he just had no pace, he just seemed to be going through the motions to finish. Given the speed he is capable of, there was plenty of laps to get back and get up in the top 5 or 6, but he just turned off.

Bottas coming off was probably the only thing Hamilton can take from this race knowing he didn't have his lead eaten into.

Toto having kittens in the garage........

Gasly is fucking terrible. Everyone keeps saying Albon will likely replace him, but Kyvat is continuing to show excellent form. Both the Torro Rosso drivers driving really well but little surprised people don't even mention Kyvat as an option.

Again I want to hear Steiners thoughts after their drivers hit one another AGAIN. Man thats going to be a good episode of Drive to Survive on Netflix the Haas drama.

A great result for Stroll and Racing Point.

Unlucky for Hulk and LeClerc, just two of many to go off.

Fox Mulder

That was a great race. Weather chaos is fun.

Gasly semed fast coming up, but he's shit in a car that can win. Vettel, Ricciardo, and Verstappen all burst out the gate coming into the team and he just isn't. Both TR drivers are doing well too right now.

Last edited:
I feel sorry for anyone that has to put together a highlights reel or race review.

I'm dumbfounded as to how Gasly hasn't been handed his P45 and drop kicked off the back of the Redbull trailer as it speeds down the highway back to the factory.

Top Bottom