• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Riot, Blizzard Devs Announce Multiplayer Game Palia

Saber

Gold Member
Doesn't look like a big deal to me and the art in uninteresting. And I agree with the fellow here, kinda sad its a mmo.

Still, its kinda early to judge. Gonna wait and see for real how it fairs.

Rat Rage

I hate all these breath of the wild rip-offs/visual wannabes. Then again, it's a testament to how great and influential botw really is.

Lanrutcon

Not exactly.

MMO just stands for Massively Multiplayer Online...which is a pretty safe bet moving forward.

Yeeesss and no. You see "MMO" you think WoW and FF14. It's a type of game, like a JRPG. Multiplayer online games are a safe bet, MMOs aren't really. Unless you're into F2P with microtransactions up the ass.

BabyYoda

Banned
I hate all these breath of the wild rip-offs/visual wannabes. Then again, it's a testament to how great and influential botw really is.
There wasn't really much in botw that was original tbh, it was done well though, even if I found it boring after a while! The art style of this game looks more like Blizzard/Riotesque to me, which makes sense considering who's making it!

harmny

Banned

i really don't see botw there. i see WoW+fortnite and a little of sea of thieves too. botw is cell shaded. genjin impact is a botw ripoff

Last edited:

Holammer

Looks like My Time at Portia, except with multiplayer crammed in there to grab players into a holding pattern.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Yeeesss and no. You see "MMO" you think WoW and FF14. It's a type of game, like a JRPG. Multiplayer online games are a safe bet, MMOs aren't really. Unless you're into F2P with microtransactions up the ass.

I think we've moved on from MMO meaning WoW and FF14. Massively Multiplayer Online games are now a much broader term. This game feels like a safe bet considering how popular Animal Crossing is and how frequently people complain about it's multiplayer offerings.

Ex Blizzard devs did the thing that made Blizzard huge. They found a genre with potential, and are going to do it right.

JSoup

Banned
So I signed up for the beta a couple days ago. The devs, from the Discord, seems to have a lot of big and high ideas, but understand that feature creep is a thing. I'm still shaky on the final product, but I'm willing to follow along and see how it goes.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Time to resurrect the old topic

Beta sign up's are live + blatant referral code posting.

TDryY7n.jpg

Use the Palia Accounts link above to get a free fruit basket (lol)

I don't think it's an accident that these social MMO's keep popping up these days. I feel like something has been lost along the way to making MMO's get you into a dungeon or raid faster. Essentially you have to make a slower paced game that forces people to interact to get that sense of community back.

Well looking forward to giving it a wirl, if its not very good, its back to towers unite for me.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Why would they create a version for switch but not consoles? Wanted to give it a try, but PC only at the moment so can't play it unfortunately.

Yeah if it can run on switch it can pretty much run on anything, but PC only testing to start with makes sense to me as updates on console have to go through a review process, with PC you can update and tweak day to day if required to deal with issues as they come.

Would be suprised after everything is nailed down on switch if it does not come to other consoles (unless it flops hard of course)

STARSBarry

Gold Member
The closed beta starts tomorrow.

tenor.gif
I have been signed up since they announced the game a few years back with the sign up page... I have the max referrals for friends... and I am still waiting for a code.

They must really hate my specific PC hardware set up, oh well apparently on the 9th they just let anyone with an account in. Looking forward to finally play.

I guess I got lucky. I only did the stress last week. At least open beta starts in a little over a week.

A weird thing is that they're not resetting progress when it goes from beta to launch. I ain't complaining tho.

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

Looks roughly 5 times deeper than BOTW, in terms of actually manifesting your progress within the game world... but whatever they have representing combat is going to have to be really strong to stand up to that lofty comparison, in the end.

Looking forward to footage from the beta.

Last edited:
Looks roughly 5 times deeper than BOTW, in terms of actually manifesting your progress within the game world... but whatever they have representing combat is going to have to be really strong to stand up to that lofty comparison, in the end.

Looking forward to footage from the beta.

LOL wut. There is no combat in this game. This is a chill game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm not wasting my life on any MMO (I'd rather waste it on more but shorter games), but this definitely looks nicer than 99% of what MP gaming is these days.

Top Bottom