• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former F-Zero artist at Nintendo, says that the series is not dead, “but without a grand new idea, it’s hard to bring it back”

Dr_Salt

What doesn't make sense is to compare two distinct years without the context.

By your logic, why Bayonetta on Switch just barely outsold the Wii U version? It should have sold a lot more, no?
I mean you are talking about a game that was ported from one console gen to the next. Compare Bayonetta 3(when it comes out) vs Bayonetta 2 thats the real comparrison. Idk if you are serious or just trolling at this point.

e&e

Banned
So they just don’t have people bringing them pitches of FZero then? Why not take it to a developer like Next Level Games that you bought, and put a small team on it to come up with something?

StormCell

F-Zero is actually a great series to add vehicle destruction and impact consequences to. Imagine some of the spectacular crashes you could have at insane speeds. Imagine having about half an F-Zero race car to finish a race. I would so buy just for the creative destruction opportunities. :LOL:

Dr Bass

This is the same weird thinking that's killed StarFox. All StarFox needs is new missions, a new entry into the story and fun gameplay. It doesn't need a new control scheme, or bizarre twist to bring it back. It's a genre game! One great entry per generation shouldn't be too much to ask. I feel like it would be a strong series if every console gen, the StarFox team went to a new system, fought all new enemies, with an all new "bad guy" etc etc. Great orchestral music, fun adventure etc. Am I nuts in thinking this? What do other StarFox fans think?

Sounds like it's the same now for F-Zero. They think they need a new gimmick to make another entry into the series, instead of just making a great racing game with new tracks, which is how they seem to handle the Mario Kart series for the most part. Give me a break.

Also it's kinda insane they take this position with these franchises, considering what they've done with the "New Super Mario Bros" games. "Wah, wah" indeed (but it's actually the sound of gamers crying).

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

"Grand idea" well what would that be? If it ain't broke why fix it? There was no "GRAND" idea for Wipeout HD and the updated release on PS4 to come out...but it did...the grand idea is to make it with 4k visuals on a console Nintendo may build in the next five years....the game doesn't need any new bells and whistles on it...it is fine as is...we've had a star fox reboot in the time that the last big entry in the F-Zero franchise came out...

NikuNashi

I can sleep easy. I supported this franchise, bought the GC F-zero on release day, was amazing. Where the F were all the fans. If you dont support things they stop making them.

With Nintendo games getting remasters out the ass, how about remaster GX. Done. If it doesn't sell too well, no big loss. If it releases, at least F-Zero fans and potentially new fans have a remaster of an amazing game.

Last edited:

Aldric

I'd love a new F Zero but I somehow get where they're coming from. The transition from the original to X was a huge evolution for the franchise. It introduced plenty of new elements that made the series much deeper mechanically, like the boost power being linked to your vehicle's life bar, the rival system, real 3D courses with all the unique gimmicks like cylinder sections, half pipes, the giant dives to reach max speed etc. GX for all its qualities did very little new in comparison, it simply polished X's systems to almost perfection. Nintendo probably don't want to make a GX sequel because they think it perfected the F Zero formula and it's hard to deny it.

Sgt.Asher

Here's an idea. Watch redline, put in destructable racers and a career mode where you build your own vehicle. Or just remaster GX

mcjmetroid

They keep saying that no new ideas quote. Its someone parroting a Miyamoto quote who never cared for F Zero and couldn't understand why people were asking for another one.

I find it hilarious they won't make a new FZero due to no new original ideas.

Nintendo are both fantastic at innovative new game ideas on the rare occasion
but are more fantastic at rehashing content. For every brilliant original Nintendo idea there are rereleases, sequels or remakes.

JUst cut the crap and say you either don't think it will sell or are waiting for a gimmick idea to slap onto it.

zombrex

GX is the best futuristic racing game of all time.
They know they can't top the perfection of the game, especially with their recent shoe string budgets for anything that is not smash bros.

Jeeves

Sometimes the fans just want more of the same. This is one of those times.

Every Smash Bros. game is basically just meant to be a 'bigger and better' iteration compared to the previous one (whether or not you personally like them better). It should be no different with F-Zero.

nkarafo

F-Zero X and GX had 30 opponents racing at the same time. But both games were offline. The possibility that nowadays this can be played online with 30 people isn't good enough for Nintendo to make a new game?

This reminds me of Starfox not being made for the Wii, despite it's controls being tailor-made for this particular game.

If "lack of new ideas" is the reason for these, then it's a bullshit excuse. These are called "missed opportunities". Nobody is asking for new ideas, these games are already great.

Look at Mario Kart. There aren't really any "new ideas" ever since Mario Kart 64. All games play the same with some added minor gimmicks. And yet not only they release at least one game per console, they even re-released the same game twice, just so the Switch can have a Mario Kart. Then you have the New Super Mario Bros games. And the Smash Bros games.

So the real excuse should be "it didn't sell as good as Mario Kart or Smash so we can't milk it". But they don't want to say that because it will make them look like a normal, profit driven, greedy company like all the otrhers. Which, again, is normal, nothing wrong with that. But no, they can't have that, they need to sell you the image of the good guys who care about games.

"New ideas" my ass.

Shifty1897

"Of course, I’ve thought about it many times, but without a grand new idea, it’s hard to bring it back,”
I've literally seen Nintendo say "It's Kirby, but yarn" and that was enough.

Just pitch the game as "It's F-Zero, but it's been 18 years since we made one." Fuck, make it out of yarn if you have to.

Shaqazooloo

Yet they somehow made eight Mario Kart games without any "Grand new ideas"....
Hmm, outside of 64 and Super Circuit I don't think I would say that. Double Dash had 2 person Karting and specials, DS had online and mission mode, Wii had 12 person races and bikes, 3DS had customizable karts along with gliding and underwater and 8 had gravity.

MrMephistoX

There hasn't been a new Fzero in 17 years and there's no new project in development that we know of.

Seems pretty dead to me
The grand new idea would be just releasing a new one in an era where arcade racers are few and far between IMHO. It’s like Smash or Mario Kart you only need one per generation and the hook is just whatever new gimmick Nintendo dreams up.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Come On Reaction GIF

Just release F-Zero HDX already

Zannegan

We're at the point where the same-old would feel new again. In the meantime, just have one of your several remaster studios pull a Bluepoint and pretty up GX.

The problem is they need a grand new idea, which blinds them for the obvious (collection, HD remasters, direct sequel ports) for F zero to come back

Romulus

Honestly, I think a GX type reboot would be completely fine as is. Just spruce up everything and done.
But just like any racer, the next step is a VR option. It'll probably take Nintendo another 8 years to have the tech viable to do it though. Wipeout isn't even as good as GX and it just makes the racing aspect far better. The added depth perception allows much better cornering with extreme speeds and the scale of the tracks just looks insane. You can't reproduce that on a TV screen or monitor.

psilva

A well designed battle royale mode should be the catalyst for a new F-Zero. There is even an opportunity for it to again serve as a graphical showpiece on the upcoming Switch revision. Unlikely, but one can hope.

Top Bottom