• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forget upgrading your GPU for better graphics, try upgrading your TV instead

Rival

Gold Member
100% you should get the biggest, best monitor you can fit on your desk if you’re a PC gamer and you care about visuals.

I got a LG C1 48”, it’s actually mounted to a free-standing TV stand behind my desk so the display is right at the back edge of my desk.

It’s magnificent. It’s a crime to get a high end PC just to play on some dinky ass 24” monitor.

32” 4K is the smallest you should be willing to tolerate. The bigger the better.
100% agree. I have the 48”cx and it’s amazing for gaming on my pc. Especially hooked up to my 3080ti.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah I can appreciate higher refresh rates and fast PRT being a massive benefit over a smeary TV panel with regards to motion, but once I went to a VA panel TV with amazing local dimming I can't go back to a monitor unless its giving a similar contrast/dimming performance. I don't care if its 480hz if it looks flat and grey then I don't care, I like looking at stuff in games a lot, the camera isn't really moving when I'm doing that so motion resolution is irrelevant.

In that case you might like Sony's new InZone miniLED 4K monitor.

OZ9000

Banned
100% agree. I have the 48”cx and it’s amazing for gaming on my pc. Especially hooked up to my 3080ti.
The bigger screen size also increases your enjoyment and immersion by a significant degree. I'd much rather play games on a bigger screen than some tiny monitor.

Terrible rec. OLED TV's are 4K res and anything below 4K on them looks like shit, so without upgrading your GPU as well you won't get good perf making your gaming experience worse. The best res is still 2560x1440 or WQHD imo. Latest IPS screens are all VRR capable and looks great and any mid range card will run games great at that res.
1440p looks decent on my OLED. Don't know what you are talking about.😒🤌

I have a 27" 1440p 144/165 Hz Gsync IPS released in 2015 and an LG C2, in SDR the OLED doesn't look THAT much better. Granted, the monitor is calibrated perfectly and the OLED only calibrated for white balance but it's only really in HDR that the OLED looks significantly better.

The OLED definitely has more pop but the IPS has a quality like you're looking at a picture. Maybe if the OLED was calibrated it would blow the IPS out of the water in everything, or perhaps the OLED is over clamping the SRD color space. Not sure. I think OLED crushes blacks a bit though and the colors aren't as vibrant unless I set it to exceed the sRGB.
This makes little sense because, relatevely speaking, OLED panels are a better tecnology in SDR then HDR . While for HDR you can argue that they can't reach enough brightness and just a tiny bit short in saturation, they are pretty much absolute first of the class in SDR, quite close to Sony professional CTR monitors.

Filben

Regarding what OP says I gotta say you still need the power and performance to drive that display, and OLED displays won't come cheap as well. In some cases the money is better spend on a GPU upgrade. Of course image quality is still better, but shit graphics are still shit when you don't have the GPU... missing effects, low resolution, low FPS, etc. All the same on an OLED. So I don't know if it's good advice. Depends heavily on your gaming habits and games you play and existing hardware.

Sorry, but that shit has visible colour and brightness shifts even when sitting center and looking at the edges and corners.

I've tried 7 monitors the past three years, all different panel types ranging from 300 to 750 EUR and once you've been looking at OLED none of the other technologies, no matter the price category, ain't cut it anymore.

Since I've find the bad viewing angles (again, even while sitting center) so distracting I went for a new IPS monitor until OLED monitors become more affordable. Because my using habits favour bright content (dark content like horror games etc, or dark content in otherwise bright games, make only a fraction) I rather deal with milky black corners and edges in certain scenarios than with awful colours and tone shifts there in any scenario. This is distracting in any scenario and also effects blacks.

Anyways, I find every tech having downsides and compromises, but OLED having the fewest for me and my gaming and watching habits.

Ywap

LG Oled with Bfi :pie_drooling:

On the PC you can even go down to 50hz v-synced and have close to crt motion quality 🥳

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
console peasant with VA monitor panel here:
Randy Savage Yes GIF by WWE

skneogaf

I have a 83" lg oled that cost over 5k so there ain't too many upgrades I can go just yet, especially as I'll still be paying off this tv for another 2 and a half years interest free.

Quezacolt

Got an LG CX last year, and i use it as TV/Monitor, and it's been an amazing experience, to the point where every other tv i've seen so far, that isnt oled, looks like crap without the contrast a Oled brings.

The HDR experience has also been amazing. Sure, it might not reach the peak brightness of other tv's, but the contrast helps.

Playing Tsushima with HDR on was mindblowing.

Cherrypepsi

I agree with the OP, Cyberpunk really came alive when I played it on my LG OLED compared to my IPS monitor... it doesnt matter how new your monitor is or how advanced... it looks absolutely lifeless compared to an OLED.

I said this in another thread, I feel like a lot of this effect comes from having a glossy panel ;-) but that's a discussion many pc gamers are not ready for!

my TVs are LG OLEDs with 4K 120Hz gsync and my monitor is 1440p 165hz gsync.

i don't know what would be considered an upgrade at the moment.

my GPU is almost 4 years old and it's still going strong (RTX 2080). i'd like a new PC but i'm going back to consoles.

Whitecrow

Banned
Thats what happens when you game on a crappy monitor.

I have everything. Oled C9, a curved monitor 240hz with 3000:1 contrast, and an ips.

Ips have perfect gamma but low contrast, but still looks very good. The other monitor have more pop and looks only slightly better, but I cant tell color accuracy is not there like the ips.

And the OLED is just brighter, bigger, and amazing contrast, but without blowing up the colors at full brightness, the IQ difference is not that big.

Tomi

my TVs are LG OLEDs with 4K 120Hz gsync and my monitor is 1440p 165hz gsync.

i don't know what would be considered an upgrade at the moment.

my GPU is almost 4 years old and it's still going strong (RTX 2080). i'd like a new PC but i'm going back to consoles.
8k tv, they are out

Quezacolt

You really cannot compare a $200 monitor with a $1000 OLED.

If you pay same amount for monitor, you will get same quality.
Not really. With many monitors, you have to pay morew than what you pay for an oled to get decent hdr.

Honestly, monitors only win in 2 aspects nowadays. Refresh rate and choice for resolution/size.

Not really. With many monitors, you have to pay morew than what you pay for an oled to get decent hdr.

Honestly, monitors only win in 2 aspects nowadays. Refresh rate and choice for resolution/size.

This is changing now. Samsung Neo g7/g8, Sony inzone monitors have full array local dimming features.

They are not anymore expensive than oleds.

Vasto

I tried hooking my PC up to a Vizio QLED that I bought in 2019 and I can honesty say that it looked so much better on that QLED. The image was brighter and the colors were deep and vibrant and that was just on a cheap Vizio. I can only imagine what it would look like on a OLED or high end QLED.

8k tv, they are out
i know but 8K doesn't make any sense right now. there are very little sources for 8K. at best i might be able to watch some YouTube videos. streaming services like netflix/amazon etc, which is most of my usage, is 4K max. blurays don't go above 4K. and gaming is a long way away from 8K.

technically yes i could get a huge ass 8K tv but it's a complete waste of money. 4K HDR 120Hz panels are about the highest spec you should get right now and are at reasonable prices. Anything over than is a waste of money.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Even a higher tier 1080p tv with the right settings looks amazing.

Yall need to learn how to properly calibrate your monitors/TVs.

OLEDs probably have better settings out of the box is all.

Also many people bought those massive shit tier TVs are finally buying good tier TVs and it’s like they’re seeing color for the first time. It’s hilarious.

Cant See Amazon Studios GIF by Prime Video Comedy

People also in general like a picture that isn’t accurate or calibrated properly.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I gotta agree with OP. I have my PC hooked up to a 1440p monitor and an LG CX. Games just look way better on the OLED. It leads to first world problems like playing Doom Eternal on a controller because it just looks so nice on the TV, but plays 10x better on m+kb.

Hugare

I went from a 4K 40' VA panel to a 1080p 24' IPS screen and I'm very happy

4K is a waste, even for these consoles. They dont reach native resolution, and when they do, its by reconstruction.

Most games are 1440p and they look so much better supersamples to 1080p than displayed on 4K

With a 24' monitor I got supersampled image, no jeggies at all, better colors (IPS) and 120 hz

But I plan to upgrade for OLED when these screens with HDMI 2.1 support doesnt cost a small fortune anymore around here.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Honestly I think a big ass 4K screen is worth it even if you have to turn the settings down a bit.

Back in 2016 I upgraded from a 24” 1080p to a 32” 4K G-Sync monitor. My GTX 970 wasn’t enough to hit 60 FPS in every game but it was still awesome. Playing Doom in 4K was a “holy shit” moment for me.

TBH I think that was bigger than any GPU upgrade I’ve done.

Last edited:
Agreed OP. I used to love PC gaming but it got way too expensive for a quality monitor and other hardware. I ended up spending that kind of money upgrading my home theater system with an OLED TV and 5.1 surround. My SO loves TV shows, backseat gaming, and playing some coop so it’s getting a lot more use. Let me say there is a huge difference in quality, though I would never get an OLED monitor for static content.

fatmarco

Agree with OP. I bought an OLED recently and the difference is incredible.

I had an older 1080p LCD tv and a Xbox One X when I transitioned to the Series X, and while there was an upgrade it wasn't a truly transformative experience, but when I got my Panasonic OLED it was a generational leap. You learn very quickly how important having black blacks is to an image.

Anything that isn't at that level feels like you're hamstringing the games visuals.

Kupfer

Nevertheless, I hooked my PC up to the LG and the difference in visuals is staggering. Spiderman - which is essentially an upscaled PS4 game - looked breathtaking. Conversely the visuals looked so dull and flat on my LCD monitor. I also always felt Doom Eternal looked quite average looking on my PC monitor, but it looked utterly insane on the OLED.
Don't know what LCD monitor you use but did you calibrate it with the right ICC profile?
Most people just use their monitors / TVs out of the box without even looking into the settings.

Have a look

Of course OLED > LCD, but you can optimize LCD quiet much.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Sorry, but that shit has visible colour and brightness shifts even when sitting center and looking at the edges and corners.

We were talking about TV's originally, the person I replied to mentioned "fast response time panels", which could apply to a TV as well.

CuNi

You guys talking about IPS, VA, OLED... And I'm here, still playing on a 24" TN 1080p 120hz LMAO

Sadge

But that doesn't stop me from having fun.
I have a 240hz TN and for me smooth games --> more vibrant colors.
Everyone has different priorities.

I saved money on new hardware by going to the eye doctor and getting glasses, now my games and real life don't look like N64 textures!

OZ9000

Banned
But then, you'll haver to upgrade GPU to reach that new TV's 4k resolution and high frame rate.
60FPS is good enough for me.

DLSS does wonder in allowing me to play latest games with my 2070S.

I will indeed update my graphics card, but it doesn't necessarily improve visuals other than allowing a higher framerate.

I'm tempted to try out Samsung's QN90B since I am able to get a heavy discount on their TV. I know it's not OLED quality but it seems to be a very good TV, and no fear of burn in.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
I know a lot of people don't agree and thats ok with me but OLED doesn't get bright enough for true HDR (FOR ME, ITS MY OPINION)

Harrison Ford Shrug GIF by Star Wars
I have started shopping for a TV and was looking at the LG next to (I believe it was a Samsung) micro LED. The micro LED looked 2x better. I am most likely going micro LED on my next purchase.. It is just as you said, the brights where just not as bright and the darks did not look that far off to my eyes.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I have started shopping for a TV and was looking at the LG next to (I believe it was a Samsung) micro LED. The micro LED looked 2x better. I am most likely going micro LED on my next purchase.. It is just as you said, the brights where just not as bright and the darks did not look that far off to my eyes.
I honestly will pick my Samsung QN90a over my OLED any day.

Granted my OLED is an older model in a C9 but the QN90a just makes brights explode on the screen

tygertrip

I gotta agree with OP. I have my PC hooked up to a 1440p monitor and an LG CX. Games just look way better on the OLED. It leads to first world problems like playing Doom Eternal on a controller because it just looks so nice on the TV, but plays 10x better on m+kb.
I use my PC with a tv. A Wireless keyboard and mouse work just fine for that.

Last edited:
One issue is the cost - £300 to £500 for a decent GPU vs £1,000 - £2,000 for a decent OLED.

I do agree though, and not just for games. Upgrading to an OLED was one of the best (and most expensive!) purchases I have ever made.
300$ gpus are mediocre especially if you want 4k

danklord

Gold Member
Once I picked up the s95b I knew there was no going back, QD-OLED feels like a generational leap to me. I've never owned such a controversial tv, and haven't really jumped into the online debate. And for some reason, whenever I go through the calibration settings on avsforums the picture looks awful. This was the same case when I was trying to dial in my last TV. I got it to where I like it and haven't looked back... games look insane on it. I do feel like there is a color difference in Dolby Vision, and I do miss the feature for watching streaming content.

I like the tech so much so that I had to pick up the Alienware QD-OLED gaming monitor without regret or delay. These screens make my LG C9 look washed out and blue by comparison. I've had several people look at side-by-side performance, and there's no contest.

Top Bottom