• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbidden West water tech took "years" to develop

Fredrik

Yeah I think they've played some part in every AC since for any water aspects. They recently helped work on the Valhalla River Raids too
Valhalla is a downgrade though, but it may be about England versus Greece rather than the water tech I guess, I played the games almost back to back and coming from Odyssey to Valhalla was just brutal 😕

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Valhalla is a downgrade though, but it may be about England versus Greece rather than the water tech I guess, I played the games almost back to back and coming from Odyssey to Valhalla was just brutal 😕

Odyssey is just better in most of the aspects and a better game overall. Naval fights were wonderful! And the on land wars.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Odyssey is just better on most of the aspects and a better game overall. Naval fights were wonderful! And the on land wars.
Hello my new friend! 🤝

I actually stopped playing Valhalla after about 50 hours. It just rubbed me the wrong way in almost all possible ways, then I catched a save bug that set me back to almost the beginning... I just went ”Nope. Not doing all that again.” and uninstalled it and looked up the story ending on Youtube instead.

Odyssey needs some fps boost love though, 30fps is a bummer.

Last edited:
hell of a lot better than the water in old school mario brothers

Lc98IzC.jpg
Wellthatsjustlikeyouropinion.jpg

GuinGuin

Banned
This is not realistic at all, there is no water dripping from her arms after 1 second. Second, this looks too much like a *gasp* dare I say it, a real woman. How dare you showing an attractive female! All females in games must look butch and manly, didn’t you get the note? /s…

Nothing real about those bazooms.

Kenpachii

Valhalla water looks like shit. Absolute dreadful to what odyssey was.

So yea i agree with that.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It has some crazy chromatic aberration effect underwater: New screenshots

MV5BNjU0MDY5OTYtZmRhYy00ZDIzLThhOGUtMmE0YTEzN2ExNzg4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjMyNTU1MjE@._V1_.jpg

Clean and sharp as fuck gameplay:

MV5BMmQ3MjA5MTYtNWYxYi00M2Q4LWFmNWQtNGQ2YmQ1ZjdiNGRiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjMyNTU1MjE@._V1_.jpg

MV5BNzhjZmRjZGItMjQ2OS00NTdjLWFlZGQtOWU4ZTcyZDg0YjQwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjMyNTU1MjE@._V1_.jpg

MV5BOTAxNjY3YmYtZDI3ZC00ZmUyLWJkYzUtYThjODYyYmUzY2Q1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjMyNTU1MjE@._V1_.jpg

And we're just too early so far into PS5's greatness! Can't wait when all the resources are built around PS5's perks. R&C is showing that next week!
Yeah, turning off that CA right away when I eventually play it. Along with adjusting her face slider to slim out some of that coke bloat. 🤪

I wonder if the CA is an effect that flickers when certain underwater beasts are around? 🤔

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah, turning off that CA right away when I eventually play it. Along with adjusting her face slider to slim out some of that coke bloat. 🤪

I wonder if the CA is an effect that flickers when certain underwater beasts are around? 🤔

I'll actually keep it on. Those lens deficiencies were meant to give you a feel of cinematic realism. But it's good you can turn them off for those who don't like them like on Spider-man games.

TheGrat1

It would be great if her hair actually looked "wet" when she got out of the water. It still bounces around as though it is perfectly dry when it should be clinging to her and clumped together.

CamHostage

It would be great if her hair actually looked "wet" when she got out of the water. It still bounces around as though it is perfectly dry when it should be clinging to her and clumped together.
Heh, but ok, but just to make sure everybody is clear on this... there's not actually "water" in the game.

Every bit of "water" in a videogame is a different type of visual or physics effects. It's all a trick, or rather a slew of different tricks. The surface of the ocean is a textured plane with a water effect; motion of the surface of water is another effect. The water caustics when you're swimming under water are a set of different effects. Current is a physics effect. The water that runs through a river and off a waterfall are a combination of several different, totally unique texture and particle effects. The wet/dry look of clothes and hair are their own effects. It's not just all "water", it's techniques to simulate what water looks like and how it behaves.

As long as we all understand that water doesn't make things wet in videogames, then yes, Guerrilla should work on the wet look for hair.

Last edited:
What a 🤦‍♂️ let us talk when game is coming out and we all see that massive Downgrad... Mark my Words🤣

I don't remember GG pulling off massive downgrades with the first game. With this one they are showing it off a PS5 so if you don't see any FPS problems in the footage it probably won't receive a downgrade. This is different from running a game off a high end PC and then saying it's representative of console footage.

Not making a reference to anything. It's something that some developers do.

VFXVeteran

Banned
That's because there is no such hair shader that I can think of in a game. Rendering hair lighting/shading is one of the most difficult and expensive things in a videogame/film. We are quite far from getting a more complicated hair shader like the Marschner technique:

heads.jpg

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Big floppy tits realistically moving and adjusting to currents when submerged

my next gen wish

First Cow GIF by A24

Last edited:
It doesn't look that much better compared to tlou2\rdr2\latest ac games water tech tbh, but i guess it's a big jump from horizon 1.

The waves on the beach were the most impressive part, but not really a generation better than this

Horizon 3 is gonna blow this game out of the water (pun intended)

Since when in the real world are the same size waves crashing at identical intervals

sega should use decima engine to make the next ecco the dolphin game, the work has already been done for them in terms of making the game engine with water physics

Guerilla Games: "We spent 3 years and $40 million for this water system in this game."
Reporter: "Well what do you do with it in the game?"
Guerilla Games: "Swim"

Why yes isn't it obvious?

Not to mention it will add a new dimension to the gameplay. Wouldn't be surprised if there were underwater ruins or combat.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Why yes isn't it obvious?

Not to mention it will add a new dimension to the gameplay. Wouldn't be surprised if there were underwater ruins or combat.
I'm just messing around based on your response which made me laugh lol

I'm just super curious WTF you actually do though... some exploration would be cool, and yeah some sort of combat.

Last edited:

harmny

Banned
looks great. i wonder how much gameplay there is in the water. is there combat? navigation like a boat or something? because sea of thieves is the king of water in gaming but that game is about water so it doesn't surprise me. so if they spent years developing the water tech it must be important.

I'm just messing around based on your response which made me laugh lol

I'm just super curious WTF you actually do though... some exploration would be cool, and yeah some sort of combat.

I don't expect the machines to not attack you while your underwater so there's probably a way to defend yourself. It would be neat if some collectibles/resources are underwater.

Ulysses 31

looks great. i wonder how much gameplay there is in the water. is there combat? navigation like a boat or something? because sea of thieves is the king of water in gaming but that game is about water so it doesn't surprise me. so if they spent years developing the water tech it must be important.
Maybe there's machine dolphin to control and wave riding!

iu

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Maybe there's machine dolphin to control and wave riding!

iu
this game had amazing water. even better than sea of thieves. i got to try it out at eurogamer expo before launch and it blew me away.

i couldnt believe they had everyone use kinect for it. it felt floaty and very unsatisfying. like a fake game. this could have been an amazing launch game in the vein of motorstorm if they went with controller controls.

kbear

The pic in the OP was from the first reveal. It got nerfed in the new one, all those fish and other stuff were gone.

Top Bottom