• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Forbes* Xbox Series X And S Outsold Switch, PS5 In US Dollar Sales In June

Thirty7ven

Banned
You are so wrong! You seem to underestimate how popular Elder Scrolls is.

Franchises get more and less popular all the time. At the end of the day Skyrim was a huge hit because it was actually quite a great game and launched on a lot of platforms. But just so you understand, Skyrim came out in 2011, and the next one will be a 2030 game easily. Do the math. We’re not dealing with GTA V here.

And ES is such a vanilla take on fantasy…. If you think PlayStation gamers will somehow jump ship, in the millions, then you have a child’s imagination and you should protect it at all costs.

Last edited:

sainraja

Bestbuy and Newegg have Xbox Series S in-stock online , but people in this thread are trying to tell me I'm painting false narratives. lol

Really can't deny facts. I'm sure there's a good chance that Xbox is going to win the next NPD, too because they have more units in-stock.
If MS wants to supply more consoles good on them. Maybe Sony should make ore PS5s.

Maybe there's Series S models still around because the people in your area are broke.

I just checked Walmart and Best Buy Canada and it says their store stock is zero.

I guess we have more money then you.

But keep on going with Store Out of Stock console list wars Dforce!
Not really invested in the argument here but DForce isn't wrong. I clicked the link he provided and it is available at a store near me (ready in 1 hour for pick up). If I had money to spare right now I'd probably pick it up for emulation.

EDIT
They seem to have a lot. They are also doing some bundles but it is available on its own as well.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not really invested in the argument here but DForce isn't wrong. I clicked the link he provided and it is available at a store near me (ready in 1 hour for pick up). If I had money to spare right now I'd probably pick it up for emulation.

EDIT
They seem to have a lot. They are also doing some bundles but it is available on its own as well.
What s shown at shelf doesn't really mean much at all.

PS5 has sold more consoles than Xbox in the US and I doubt anyone has seen PS5s on shelf at any time. And Series X too. Series S are the easiest to find yet has probably sold the least units compared to PS5 and X.

There's more to sales than what you see at shelf.

PS5 has sold more consoles than Xbox in the US and I doubt anyone has seen PS5s on shelf at any time. And Series X too. Series S are the easiest to find yet has probably sold the least units compared to PS5 and X.

Seriously. Finding Series S consoles isn't anything remarkable to me. Series X is the obvious console to get for next gen. And I have never seen them in stock. If someone could show me one, I would buy it immediately.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

You're so quick to make excuses that you're not even reading what people are telling you.

He said he could find Xbox Series S consoles in stock at his location, but you want to ignore that and say the photo doesn't prove anything.

This is the US Dollar Sales thread of June, and each Xbox Series console sold contributes to the total number of Xbox Series consoles sold in the US. It's common sense: If PlayStation 5 is currently out of stock in the US and the Xbox Series S is IN-STOCK right now, what does that tell you? This means the Xbox Series S has more stock available. Something Xbox fans on here are denying.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Seriously. Finding Series S consoles isn't anything remarkable to me. Series X is the obvious console to get for next gen. And I have never seen them in stock. If someone could show me one, I would buy it immediately.
This doesn't matter how you feel about the console. lol

This is a US sales thread. We're talking about the sales in the US. If Xbox Series S is available right now, then that means there are more Xbox consoles in-stock than PlayStation consoles. This will help you sell more consoles\generate more dollar sales in a 30 day period versus the PlayStation 5.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is the US Dollar Sales thread of June, and each Xbox Series console sold contributes to the total number of Xbox Series consoles sold in the US. It's common sense: If PlayStation 5 is currently out of stock in the US and the Xbox Series S is IN-STOCK right now, what does that tell you? This means the Xbox Series S has more stock available. Something Xbox fans on here are denying.
No it doesn't because you have no idea how many sales go through online.

Just as I said before, PS5 and Series X are basically impossible to find in store since launch yet have sold millions. Going by your "I only count what I see at shelf", PS5 and Series X should have zero sales in the US. They've sold so much online every time new batches come, they dont even seem to put any on shelf as gets sold out in probably an hour on web orders.

As for random pics of Series S in stock, who cares. Best Buy and Walmart Canada say none across the whole country. So it depends on location.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
No it doesn't because you have no idea how many sales go through online.

Just as I said before, PS5 and Series X are basically impossible to find in store since launch yet have sold millions. Going by your "I only count what I see at shelf", PS5 and Series X should have zero sales in the US. They've sell so much online every time new batches come, they dont even seem to put any on shelf.
Now you're basically saying that Xbox Series S in stock means nothing. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You're just in complete denial and it's funny. People are going to buy it if it's in-stock and it doesn't matter how many times you try to deny it. It's selling and it will sell more than a console that is out of stock at this very moment.

As for random pics of Series X in stock, who cares. Best Buy and Walmart Canada say none across the whole country. So it depends on location.

We're talking about the US and Xbox Series S.

You're not even reading what people are telling you. It's like you're just reading one sentence and posting the same old excuse because you don't want to admit it's a stock issue.

NonPhixion

Best Buy and Walmart Canada say none across the whole country. So it depends on location.
Just checked BestBuy Canada for you. They are available online and in-store. Act now and you can get yourself one.
Cbehfzu.png

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Now you're basically saying that Xbox Series S in stock means nothing. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You're just in complete denial and it's funny. People are going to buy it if it's in-stock and it doesn't matter how many times you try to deny it. It's selling and it will sell more than a console that is out of stock at this very moment.

We're talking about the US and Xbox Series S.

You're not even reading what people are telling you. It's like you're just reading one sentence and posting the same old excuse because you don't want to admit it's a stock issue.
It doesn't.

If Series S store stock is so important, then going by your logic it's sold more units than PS5 which is impossible to find at stores since launch. But PS5 has sold the most.

It's ok Dforce. Just because Xbox outsold PS5 in June you dont need to defend the Sony brand every second.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It doesn't.

If Series S store stock is so important, then going by your logic it's sold more units than PS5 which is impossible to find at stores since launch. But PS5 has sold the most.

It's ok Dforce. Just because Xbox outsold PS5 you need to defend the Sony brand.

Oh my god. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You don't realize that people are going to shake their heads after reading your comment.

This is about the NPD results from June and what's likely to happen in July, NOT the total sales numbers. You don't even understand what anyone is telling you. This is like my 3rd of 4th time pointing out your reading problem. lol

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Oh my god. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You don't realize that people are going to shake their heads after reading your comment.

This is about the NPD results from June and what's likely to happen in July, NOT the total sales numbers. You don't even understand what anyone is telling you. This is like my 3rd of 4th time pointing out your reading problem. lol
And I've told you you have no idea what online sales are. Nobody does.

Doesn't matter if it's launch, June or next month. What you see at shelf is tiny compared to monthly online sales.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
And I've told you you have no idea what online sales are. Nobody does.

Doesn't matter if it's launch, June or next month. What you see at shelf is tiny compared to monthly online sales.
The Xbox Series S can be bought online at this moment and the PlayStation 5 can't.

This means Xbox Series S sold more units within the past 24 hours compared to the PlayStation 5. So it doesn't matter if we don't know, we know a console is going to sell more during a day than a console that is out of stock.

You don't want anything to ruin your belief that this is a result of the June showcase when it's likely due to stock. You keep talking about the picture and ignoring the fact that people can buy it right now in the US if they wanted to. This is the type of stuff people do when they don't want to accept facts.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The Xbox Series S can be bought online at this moment and the PlayStation 5 can't.

This means Xbox Series S sold more units within the past 24 hours compared to the PlayStation 5. So it doesn't matter if we don't know, we know a console is going to sell more during a day than a console that is out of stock.

You don't want anything to ruin your belief that this is a result of the June showcase when it's likely due to stock. You keep talking about the picture and ignoring the fact that people can buy it right now in the US if they wanted to. This is the type of stuff people do when they don't want to accept facts.
Online orders are big. Just like this article from earlier in the year where PS5 outsold Xbox in units and dollars. Guess why? Its cant be shelf stock as PS5s are impossible to get since launch at store. SSeries S have always been much easier to get vs PS5 or Series X.

It's called online orders.

Dont look at one sales channel (store checks) and think thats all there is to sales.

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/44...fastest-selling-console-after-4-months/Switch Best-Selling Console in the US in February, PS5 Fastest-Selling Console After 4 Months - Sales

Switch Best-Selling Console in the US in February, PS5 Fastest-Selling Console After 4 Months - Sales​

by William D'Angelo[/URL] [/B], posted on 01 April 2021 / 4,030 Views
The Nintendo Switch was the best-selling console in the US in February 2021 in terms of unit and dollar sales, according to figures from NPD. NPD includes the dates for January 31 through February 27. Sales for the Switch were the highest of any platform in January since the Wii in February 2009.
The PlayStation 5 was the second best-selling console in terms of unit and dollar sales. The PS5 is the fastest-selling hardware platform in US history in terms of total dollar sales after four months.

"PlayStation 5 ranked as the 2nd best-selling hardware platform in February in both unit and dollar sales. PlayStation 5 is currently the fastest-selling hardware platform in U.S. history (total dollar sales after 4 months in market)," said Piscatella.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Online orders are big. Just like this article from earlier in the year where PS5 outsold Xbox in units and dollars. Guess why? Its cant be shelf stock as PS5s are impossible to get since launch at store. SSeries S have always been much easier to get vs PS5 or Series X.

It's called online orders.

Dont look at one sales channel (store checks) and think thats all there is to sales.

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/44...fastest-selling-console-after-4-months/Switch Best-Selling Console in the US in February, PS5 Fastest-Selling Console After 4 Months - Sales
You're lying. They have been much easier to get within the past several months

Not going in circles anymore. It's clear that you're in denial and you're just going to find an excuse for everything. Facts prove everything that you're saying is wrong.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You're lying. They have been much easier to get within the past several months

Not going in circles anymore. It's clear that you're in denial and you're just going to find an excuse for everything. Facts prove everything that you're saying is wrong.
Fine with me. I'm not the one who bases sales only looking at whats at store level.

And besides. Xbox won June no matter how many excuses you try to downplay it. And Xbox will probably win July too due to momentum and a great E3 of games.

Topher

Gold Member
Fine with me. I'm not the one who bases sales only looking at whats at store level.

And besides. Xbox won June no matter how many excuses you try to downplay it. And Xbox will probably win July too due to momentum and a great E3 of games.

Who wins July, August, September, and so on will depend entirely how many units are produced by each company.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
And just like that there are zero left in stores on that link lol. You're proving the point that they're selling everything they can ship.
He's proving the point that there's still available, even more than an hour after he posted the link.

I gave myself a deadline by 3rd quarter tax time If I didn't have a PS5 I would earmark the money for something else this year.
Aug 31's is the deadline. If I can't find a PS5 by then I will have to wait for Xmas time next year. :(
I've never gone this long without getting my hands on a next gen console. Sony really messed up.
I was on the waiting list for August shipment of PS5 here in NZ since the July shipment was sold out months ago. I went ahead and cancelled my reservation for August shipment.

PS5 is still incredibly hard to get. You have to be on a waiting list. If you're not, you're going to have to go through scalpers which is still offering the console up for sale at almost double the price.

I'm still likely getting one but not right now. Probably when they're readily available and we've seen some stuff from Sony's premier 1st party studios like Naughty Dog.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
And just like that there are zero left in stores on that link lol. You're proving the point that they're selling everything they can ship.
Exactly.

And that online sales can be big. But it moves so fast. Who knows how many units BB Canada just sold in a couple hours at store level. When I checked it was sold out, then it was in stock online. Now sold out again.

They may have had 1 unit or 1000. Nobody knows.

teKA7uH.jpg

Last edited:

NonPhixion

It’s likely that when you click on the link it redirects you to your region. They are still available online and in-store at locations across Canada. “lol”

2X8g86A.png

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It’s likely that when you click on the link it redirects you to your region. They are still available online and in-store at locations across Canada. “lol”

2X8g86A.png
Online yes.

At store, depends. Earlier today it was out of stock, then when you said it was I clicked it and it was. Now it's out again (Toronto region).

MrFunSocks

Banned

2X8g86A.png
I’m in Australia, so nah, that’s not it because they ain’t shipping to Australia and it said one could ship tomorrow.

Lol.

your post I replied to was not pointing out that they sell every unit the ship.

Last edited:

rolandss

You can’t read anything relating to demand in these numbers when neither is freely available in stores and sold out just about everywhere. Both consoles are selling faster than they can make them.

Topher

Gold Member
And as Kagey K said above somewhere, stockboys could had put that up that morning. Nobody knows. That shelf of 30 Series S boxes could had been sitting there since November or could had been sitting there only since they opened the doors at 9 am.

But way to cherry pick pictures.

Here's a pic I found about PS5. Looks like nobody wants to buy PS5's in Turkey. Dead brand.

See? I can create false narratives too.

PS5-in-stock-they-are-available-at-Istanbul-Airport-1536x864.jpg

What's the false narrative there? The picture? How about the asking price?

" The retailer lures with a supposed special offer: instead of 1,199 euros, he currently charges “only” 1,099 euros for the PlayStation 5. For such a price, even some usurious offers on Ebay & Co. are still a bargain. For comparison: the regular price for the PS5 in this country is 499 euros."

That's a scalper.

Dj Khaled Congratulations GIF

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned
The point is, first year of consoles is hard. In order for you to sell the games, you need enough consoles to reach certain demand for games.

Not every owner of console, will buy the new games. If 10 games were released on that month, that is $300-$600 a month spent on those games. No one will spend that much money.

Then, there is the competition between the games. You have be selective to buy, which games you want. Unpopular games have no chance to hit higher numbers.

Do you have any idea how many people knows, deaths door game? I had no idea this game existed. The only way I knew about it, was Twitter talking about it, for bragging rights. If I didn't have a Twitter, I wouldn't have heard about it. Its isnt the same as COD, or Ratchet and Clank.

Its why these sales figures are useless. Those companies want software sales, to make up the money lost on hardwares. And to do that, they need to bump out more consoles than ever.

This is wrong thinking. While they do want console sales they realize that it's much easier to capture a wider audience. Enter games on pc, back compatibility, mobile, and cloud gaming.

That's how they reach higher software sales, not eeking out modest increases in consoles over a lifetime.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is wrong thinking. While they do want console sales they realize that it's much easier to capture a wider audience. Enter games on pc, back compatibility, mobile, and cloud gaming.

That's how they reach higher software sales, not eeking out modest increases in consoles over a lifetime.
Agreed.

Great sales and usership can come from whatever strategy works.

Case in point: Adobe stopped selling Photoshop ages ago. You cant find a copy of it to buy for $800 anymore. If you want it, you got to go on $20-30/mth sub plan and pay like it's a Netflix subscription for the rest of your life. Their strategy change was offering and price. And it worked.

Adobe retail copy sales = Zero

Adobe sales and profits = record high

Adobe stock price = record high

Last edited:

Fredrik

This is as crazy as expecting MS to make windows versions of the steam machine when it was unveiled. I dont think you guys understand how this market works if you think the steam deck is worthy of a reactionary response from MS. The same MS that ignored the PSP and Vita(when it launched).
I don’t think that’s comparable at all. A lot have changed since Steam Machines, on Steam Deck you can play MS games by default since many are on Steam now and most can be played on Linux through Proton. So people could literally buy a Steam Deck to play Halo MCC, Ori, FH4 portable. But people can’t play Gamepass games , unless they install Windows. So even if MS want to ignore Steam Deck they can’t do it, people will start asking for Gamepass games on Steam or a suitable portable UI and drivers for Windows.

Last edited:

KingT731

Agreed.

Great sales and usership can come from whatever strategy works.

Case in point: Adobe stopped selling Photoshop ages ago. You cant find a copy of it to buy for $800 anymore. If you want it, you got to go on $20-30/mth sub plan and pay like it's a Netflix subscription for the rest of your life. Their strategy change was offering and price. And it worked.

Adobe retail copy sales = Zero

Adobe sales and profits = record high

Adobe stock price = record high
Yep. 0 ownership. People used to only buy the new package every 3-4 years(some even longer) so now they're paying monthly/yearly which will cost them more in the long run. Easy profit and you can do all that while slowing down updates to your product so then reduced overhead as well.

Last edited:

svbarnard

Banned
Franchises get more and less popular all the time. At the end of the day Skyrim was a huge hit because it was actually quite a great game and launched on a lot of platforms. But just so you understand, Skyrim came out in 2011, and the next one will be a 2030 game easily. Do the math. We’re not dealing with GTA V here.

And ES is such a vanilla take on fantasy…. If you think PlayStation gamers will somehow jump ship, in the millions, then you have a child’s imagination and you should protect it at all costs.
Okay how about the next main installment in the fallout series?

CamHostage

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually thought the Bethesda sections of the Microsoft show were the low points.

2 trailers that don't really show me anything and updates to 2 games I am not interested in.

I do think redfall and starfield when they come out, will be great though...

I could see that... although on the flipside, I was actually having trouble remembering what the "Microsoft sections" of the Microsoft show was...

Incredibly dumb of me not to immediately conjure Forza Horizon 5 (although I feel that game did and still is flying under the radar some?), but then Halo Infinite also didn't stick in my mind in its moment and hasn't had reverberations to its second showing. It was a decent but not mindblowing Multiplayer chunk (just really nice to see it looking good and seeming fun and having some features to dig into, but that Video hasn't come back up in any GAF thread since then that I've seen,) and the Single Player bit was really a bit, just a teaser. You're way, way more likely to see somebody mention last year's Craig than this year's improved showcase. Oh, and Flight Sim was there, but like FH5, that game is simmering rather than boiling over.

Maybe there were other circles I'm not a part of where that show really grabbed ahold? IMO, that show wasn't what moved the needle on Xbox console sales, it's been all about Game Pass (or, if the show did have an impact, it was the underlying Game Pass messaging which gave the general impression that, wow, all of this is just mine for a few bucks a month.) That, and availability and eagerness to upgrade now that next-gen has been out a while and more people are getting 4K sets. So, more that it's time and that it's a good buy rather than that anything at E3 (which, not just MS, almost every manufacturer underwhelmed IMO) proved that next-gen was must-have entertainment.

Just me?

Thirty7ven

Banned
Okay how about the next main installment in the fallout series?

What about it? Nobody’s losing sleep over that, specially not after Falout 4. Of course if Fallout 5 is amazing then it will make some people go out and spend money.

Last edited:

svbarnard

Banned
What about it? Nobody’s losing sleep over that, specially not after Falout 4. Of course if Fallout 5 is amazing then it will make some people go out and spend money.
You're really going to sit here and pretend like Elder Scrolls and fallout aren't some of the most popular video game franchises of all time? You're an idiot! Elder Scrolls and fallout are some of the most popular franchises in video game history!

The next Elder Scrolls is in development and I bet it's going to be an amazing game, I could totally see PS5 players trading in their PS5 for an Xbox series X so they could play the new Elder Scrolls. And that's exactly what's going to happen.

Listen when the next Elder scroll releases it's only going to be on Xbox and I guarantee you it's going to be an amazing game with beautiful next-gen graphics, I guarantee you lots of people will trade in their ps5's for an Xbox Series X just so they can play the new Elder Scrolls, it's been a long time since we've had a new main installment Elder Scrolls and I guarantee you Bethesda is going to make sure it won't disappoint.

Last edited:
Top Bottom