• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Forbes] Sony Should Be Putting All PlayStation Exclusives On PC, Day One

Status
Not open for further replies.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Let's imagine PS games day one on PC.

Who/what do you think PS-only gamers would blame in case of a delay? Or if the game is released in an unpolished state?

Or if an online game, like GT7, is released with forced cross-play and PC cheaters ruin the game for everyone?

ah yeah, but there is enough delays to know it’s wouldn’t be because of PC.

cross play with PC and cheaters is a real good point and one I hope is addressed soon.

there’s no way Sony would allow games to go out in a poor state and they bought NIxxes etc to help so I think it will be fine. You can’t blame PC if it’s a completely different studio making the game.

if Sony santa Monica released a shit game it’s on them. I can’t se it happening but you know what I mean.

also the argument about buying a pc, PCs last for years. You have one larger initial outlay but it will last you for ages and you can do so much more with a Pc than a console. It’s not a fair comparison. I sold my 2080 for 500 quid and bought a 3080 luckily for 700 on launch day. That’s 200 squid to increase my performance considerably.

im still on an 8700k and it’s beating these consoles. I’m sure it will last even longer.

BatSu

jwSAlkw.gif

Topher

Gold Member
The specs i said are better then yours.

x4N7UcD_d.webp

The RTX 3050 has 9 tflops, for comparison the 3060 has 13, 3060 often beats the ps5/xsx, so a 3050 should be in there ballpark, without even factoring DLSS.

As I pointed out, the CPU is hard to match. But fine, go with that cpu, but you still have to have PCIe 4.0 and the SSD I selected wasn't even among the fastest. We don't have to guess the GPU ballpark nearly as much. The 6600 XT is a 10.6 TF RDNA 2 GPU and that is about as close you can get. So shave off a couple hundred for cheaper CPU and motherboard and you are still at $950.

Is still well below the day one price of games on PS5. Add that God of war is the most iconic title that the PlayStation has, as I have already said in titles until now released on PC have been chosen for fame, genre, and graphic potential (which they know are important in the PC world). Good luck selling Knack at 49 euro 2 year later . it would flop instantly
What kind BS are you trying to spin here.
This is a 4 years old game, if you have PS+ you got the game in PS+ collection for PS5, or as low as 9.99€
Current price:
zlgh26S.png

Go back and fix the post with false information, you would do this if you're discussing here honestly and not just console warring.

MonarchJT

Banned
This is the logic that essentially supports argument such as “one company starts making unhealthy / poisonous food, well now others must follow suit… it is new and progress, do you want to be the old ones out still stuck with edible food”. Now, this is a bit of an extreme metaphor, but the logic is the same. You assume it is better, others do see it as a hopefully dead evolutionary branch (also, not sure everything else is as still as some make it out to be).
Well we have a very different concept of unhealthy and healthy. Releasing the games on multiple platforms allowing tons of other players to experience that experience is fine and is in my opinion very far from being unhealthy. I see no case where Sony would not earn exponentially more by releasing their games on PC. Or do you still believe that fairytale, at this point definitively denied by the actual numbers and created only by a part of the gamers to mock what Microsoft was doing, which see that releasing the games on PC would sell so few consoles that would the industry fail? Because the Xbox One in its worst generation has sold around 50 million consoles , and we're talking about a console that had a literally bad market image . Listen, in all honesty the only reason some people want games not to leave the walled garden is not for fear of losing who knows what quality (Forza Horizon, flight Sim and halo are there to demonstrate how fallacious this position is) but simply to have a few more bullets in the blatant console war

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
As I pointed out, the CPU is hard to match. But fine, go with that cpu, but you still have to have PCIe 4.0 and the SSD I selected wasn't even among the fastest. We don't have to guess the GPU ballpark nearly as much. The 6600 XT is a 10.6 TF RDNA 2 GPU and that is about as close you can get. So shave off a couple hundred for cheaper CPU and motherboard and you are still at $950.

You dont need a PCIe4 ssd to reach xsx/ps5 level because the xsx does not Surpass PCIe3 speeds.

And this is not about building the closest spec match, its about building a pc with xsx/ps5 like performance for the cheapest price.

arvfab

Banned
ah yeah, but there is enough delays to know it’s wouldn’t be because of PC.

You are already seeing people blaming cross-gen for the Horizon, God of War and GT7 delays. And maybe they are right!

People would blame PC anyway, that's the point.
there’s no way Sony would allow games to go out in a poor state and they bought NIxxes etc to help so I think it will be fine. You can’t blame PC if it’s a completely different studio making the game.

They did in the past, with Days Gone - ironically one of the only big exclusives using an external engine.

And if they want to avoid a similar situation again, than it would mean more time is necessary or - Schreier fogive - crunching. Resulting maybe in a delay. Being at the point above again.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Nah they really don’t have to. I would appreciate a regular policy though like games will hit PC X amount of months after PS. Leaving things uncertain is never good IMO.

MonarchJT

Banned
What kind BS are you trying to spin here.
This is a 4 years old game, if you have PS+ you got the game in PS+ collection for PS5, or as low as 9.99€
Current price:
zlgh26S.png

Go back and fix the post with false information, you would do this if you're discussing here honestly and not just console warring.
It is not difficult to understand .... I was talking about new games released on day one on PS5 ... in Italy they cost around 81 euros (the exclusives) not 35/49 as God of war is doing. And I add God of war is so well done ... well reviewed and so acclaimed that it can sell for 49 euros on PC two years later. Knack or other stuff like destruction All star they wouldn't even do it at 9.99

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Well, you say that "we're also getting most of their games soon" from Sony but that's just an assumption on your part. Sony has said very little about what is coming next or when. You could be right, but you could be wrong.

Best combo depends on the person. I don't care for Nintendo's games so Switch has nothing for me. Best combo also depends on your budget. We can't assume money is no object because, for most, it certainly is. Best combo also depends on the type of experience you want. If you want the desktop gaming experience then yeah, PC is better. But most who want the living room gaming experience are going to want console. So, as always, "best" is incredibly subjective. Again, there is no right answer here, especially in the environment as it is where finding gaming hardware at all is painfully difficult.

Not sure if thats an assumption when Sony has more or less confirmed so, considering their studios are voicing support to port their games over. No need for “could be”. I am sure this is going to be the case.

I couldn’t care less about the opinion of people who don’t care about Nintendo games, no offense. They got no taste.

I don't think it makes sense to release them day one alongside the PS versions. As much as people say it does, they would sacrifice a part of their console sales where they own the whole market place, charge developers, micro transactions, f.e., for a quick win.

Pulling consumers into your ecosystem is the ultimate goal for most brands, why would Sony go the opposite way? Release them 1 year or 2 later, keep some exclusive, and that's it. Give an appetizer of what your platform can do and call it day.

MS is a services first company, both are not comparable at all. Sony sells hardware.

Topher

Gold Member
You dont need a PCIe4 ssd to reach xsx/ps5 level because the xsx does not Surpass PCIe3 speeds.

And this is not about building the closest spec match, its about building a pc with xsx/ps5 like performance for the cheapest price.

Consoles are able to go above standard speeds because of the IO compression. XSX can achieve 5000 MBps with compression. You'll still need PCIe 4 to get to that performance level.

Not sure if thats an assumption when Sony has more or less confirmed so, considering their studios are voicing support to port their games over. No need for “could be”. I am sure this is going to be the case.

Yes, it is an assumption until something official is said.

I couldn’t care less about the opinion of people who don’t care about Nintendo games, no offense. They got no taste.

Are you being serious here?

Last edited:
It is not difficult to understand .... I was talking about new games released on day one on PS5 ... in Italy they cost around 81 euros (the exclusives) not 35/49 as God of war is doing. And I add God of war is so well done ... well reviewed and so acclaimed that it can sell for 49 euros on PC two years later. Knack or other stuff like destruction All star they wouldn't even do it at 9.99
It clearly is difficult for you to understand.
4 years old PS4 game isn't full price for PS5.

Lets see prices when Uncharted: Legacy of thieves is available on steam, current lowest price i could find locally for PS5 physical disc(pre order) is 42€.

Sosokrates

Consoles are able to go above standard speeds because of the IO compression. XSX can achieve 5000 MBps with compression. You'll still need PCIe 4 to get to that performance level.

Xbox choose PCIe4 so they could use 2 lanes going to the internal ssd and 2 lanes going to the external SSD and have there desired speed running through both (not at the same time.

Hardware compressers compress data in xsx, the solutions to this PC is to use the CPU, GPU or specific hardware to do the compression.

You also have to take into account PCs have more memory then the current consoles. We dont know what the min spec 3rd parties will use for PC, maybe the higher RAM means a sata ssd is required.

I can tell you now a PC with a PCIe3 NVMe ssd will be good for this gen.

MonarchJT

Banned
It clearly is difficult for you to understand.
4 years old PS4 game isn't full price for PS5.

Lets see prices when Uncharted: Legacy of thieves is available on steam, current lowest price i could find locally for PS5 physical disc(pre order) is 42€.
it is hard for you to understand the article at this point ...we are talking about releasing future day one PS5 exclusives on PC. i said that is easy for god of war (being the most famous and iconic ps exclusive) to sell at 35/49 ..years later (emphasis on years later) the same would happen with other games .. because less famous less beautiful or worse still. I took Knack or Destruction All Star as an example ..if released on day one Destruction All star would see pre-orders and sales .. two years later? it would sell very little even at 9.99. Yes, the day One releases gives a clear economic and market position advantage.

Last edited:
it is hard for you to understand the article at this point ...we are talking about releasing day one PS5 exclusives on PC. i said that is easy for god of war (being the most famous and iconic ps exclusive) to sell at 35/49 ..years later (emphasis on years later) the same would not do other games .. less famous less beautiful or worse still. I took Knack or Destruction All Star as an example ..if released on day one Destruction All sta would see pre-orders and sales .. two years later? it would sell very little even at 9.99. Yes, the day One releases gives a clear economic and market position advantage.
You're spinning some thick BS.
Knack and Destruction All Starts are not likely to come to PC.

Topher

Gold Member
Xbox choose PCIe4 so they could use 2 lanes going to the internal ssd and 2 lanes going to the external SSD and have there desired speed running through both (not at the same time.

Hardware compressers compress data in xsx, the solutions to this PC is to use the CPU, GPU or specific hardware to do the compression.

You also have to take into account PCs have more memory then the current consoles. We dont know what the min spec 3rd parties will use for PC, maybe the higher RAM means a sata ssd is required.

I can tell you now a PC with a PCIe3 NVMe ssd will be good for this gen.

I can tell you now that I have a PC with PCIe 4 MB, Corsair MP600 SSD and XSX loads Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5 a hell of a lot faster than my PC. This is why DirectStorage and RTX IO are going to be a thing eventually. But for right now, PC doesn't match consoles in IO. But if you are going to try to get closer then PCIe 4 is required.

Papacheeks

Banned
Do note this port took 2 years to make.

So we’ll done ports take time. And if you want to satisfy both markets doing a tiered release is the most sensible. It lets developers concentrate on one hardware configuration to get most out of PS5 and do some crazy stuff with the I/O. Then you hand off the master after it’s done/patched to pc port studio.

Makes sense. If you look at Pc versions of game pass titles not all of them work well or are optimized well. Or have store issues still depending on Os.

Horizon, days gone, hid of war are now pretty well optimized. Horizon was the outlier and it was fixed.

Sosokrates

The 6600 can trade blows with the 3060, maybe like 10% slower in other games

The 3050 isn't anywhere close to that
We haven't got benchmarks of the 3050 yet, apart from what Nvidia said ( they said it can do doom eternal @ 100fps, 1080p with RT, which seems pretty close to current gen.

Even if the 3050 is 2060 performance, its still in the ballpark of XSX/PS5. and i was talking about my pc spec as a whole, the CPU will likely get better performance then xsx/ps5

We haven't got benchmarks of the 3050 yet, apart from what Nvidia said ( they said it can do doom eternal @ 100fps, 1080p with RT, which seems pretty close to current gen.

Even if the 3050 is 2060 performance, its still in the ballpark of XSX/PS5. and i was talking about my pc spec as a whole, the CPU will likely get better performance then xsx/ps5

It's not in the ballpark at all. The PS5 and SX are comparable to the XT, which is faster than the 3060

The GPU is the meat of the PC. Your four core CPU is not going to make up any difference

Last edited:

Sosokrates

I can tell you now that I have a PC with PCIe 4 MB, Corsair MP600 SSD and XSX loads Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5 a hell of a lot faster than my PC. This is why DirectStorage and RTX IO are going to be a thing eventually. But for right now, PC doesn't match consoles in IO. But if you are going to try to get closer then PCIe 4 is required.
Depends on the game. Consoles will have advantages. But my point is that pc spec i mentioned will give a similar experience to xsx/PS5.

MonarchJT

Banned
The thread is definitely not about spinning BS about prices of old games, even if that is what you are trying to do here.
this thread is about releasing new PS5 games on PC ..i showed you that the MOST iconic ps game have to sell at half of their day one release ..and that other lower tier exclusive doesn't have the same hype/ legs. I still gave you an example of how games not very successful (Destruction a.s.) would also fail to sell succesfull at 35/49 two years later and how they could have taken advantage of a simultaneous launch on console and PC. The one who had nothing to say and is commenting on my posts as a "spin" is you. I've been saying the same thing for 30 Min if you haven't grasped it yet, please stop answering me at this point.

DaGwaphics

I never said it was close in price...

And its not far off in specs, I would not be surprised if it surpasses the current gens in some games, heck a 2060 super surpasses the current in some circumstances.

Donald Trump Head Shake GIF by Election 2016

Don't let the cross-gen phase fool you. I doubt the 3060 will remain playable throughout the generation, let alone the 3050. Those are cards that you get now and then you upgrade once current-gen really gets kicked off.

This is the logic that essentially supports argument such as “one company starts making unhealthy / poisonous food, well now others must follow suit… it is new and progress, do you want to be the old ones out still stuck with edible food”. Now, this is a bit of an extreme metaphor, but the logic is the same. You assume it is better, others do see it as a hopefully dead evolutionary branch (also, not sure everything else is as still as some make it out to be).

Time will tell. I think corporations seek profits more than fanboy approval, that's what makes the games coming to PC a given (how close to launch is up for debate). One thing that we do know is that Sony could handle the status quo themselves, yet they've recently invested in a studio that does work on PC ports which makes me think they are look to accelerate this support.

From a business perspective Sony is likely seeing the revenue numbers and look at that 15b from MS against them having maybe 60m consoles tops (would be about $250 per console) which as MS stated is mostly due to PC inclusion. The drive for that extra $5b a year that seems to be sitting out there is what will drive changes. Plus, that would be $5b with MS properties, Sony probably thinking hey our first-party could do better on PC than theirs.

Last edited:
this thread is about releasing new PS5 games on PC ..i showed you that the MOST iconic ps game have to sell at half of their day one release ..and that other lower tier exclusive doesn't have the same hype/ legs. I still gave you an example of how games not very successful (Destruction a.s.) would also fail to sell succesfull at 35/49 two years later and how they could have taken advantage of a simultaneous launch on console and PC. The one who had nothing to say and is commenting on my posts as a "spin" is you. I've been saying the same thing for 30 Min if you haven't grasped it yet, please stop answering me at this point.
What has been released are old games, they cost less.
Nobody is paying full price for GoW anymore.

You were spinning with false prices.

Like I said, Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves collection is kind of the first day and date release on both Steam and PS5.
You would take this game up, if you wanted to speculate honestly.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Isn't DLSS and DLDSR only available on RTX GPUs? Don't get me wrong, that's great tech, but you are still leaving older GPUs behind.

Not only older, but competing GPUs as well. People don't seem to get how detrimental to the PC GPU market Nvidia's deep-learning implementations can be, and how much that contributes to a monopoly that will charge as much as they want for cards on every price bracket, even after the crypto craze fades away.

VFXVeteran

Banned
You missed the point. Due to custom (maybe even limiting) hardware on a console, a dev is more likely to go out of its way to try and implement any hardware specific feature.
What I'm saying is there is no hardware specific feature that they couldn't implement in their base graphics pipeline that can't immediately be applicable to PC. We are dealing with common hardware here across the board (i.e. GPU/CPU). The ONLY feature I can think of would be the shared-memory pool. But that's about it.

Maybe even find more performant solutions to overcome some of the shortcomings.

And Sony's first party have shown to be masters at exactly that in the past.
Assuming past hardware you'd have a good point. But this isn't that hardware anymore nor will ever be in the future. Those days are gone.

With the decision to support the PC across all of Sony's companies, each company will now take the PC into consideration with their base graphics engine and porting will be much easier going forward. It is safe to say that any game that gets a port for the PC will have all of it's sequels being available a lot sooner for the PC than before. The delay from day-and-date would most likely be putting extra features into the game that the PC alone can support (ala, DLSS, full RT lighting, higher LODs, higher filtering of textures, higher res textures, higher FB resolutions, faster FPS, etc..)

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Yes, it is an assumption until something official is said.

Are you being serious here?
I mean if you insist it is a casual assumption then I’ll let you delude yourself. I am not going to change your mind.

yurinka

Sony is a business though and not a fanboy collective. This will have them looking at their competitors and looking for anything they see there that could be implemented to increase their own numbers. Both MS and Nintendo's numbers have some areas of growth that would be impressive even for the company on top. None of these businesses want to just get to the top and stagnate, continual growth is the goal. Through that lens it isn't hard to see how Sony could look at MS's numbers, relative to their position in the console market, and be thinking there might be room for self improvement here or there.

I don't necessarily expect Sony to suddenly copy MS and make a definitive statement that every game will release day and date on PC, at least not for quite a while off yet. However, it doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility that they shorten the console exclusive window substantially for basically the same effect. You get the distinct feeling they are slowing warming the bath by a few degrees at a time to avoid fanboy meltdowns.
Yes, they are a business. So instead of listening to the portbegging or petition to give away their huge AAA games for almost free (which means hundreds of millions of loses per year) of a few vocal fanboys in the forums they do what it's better to their business.

They have a strategy and their direct competitors another one. Sony's own strategy is way more successful than MS in all the areas where they compete with MS, plus Sony is also in additional gaming areas like VR or mobile games. So Sony sticks with their own strategy instead of copying the MS one. Because it's the best for their business.

They may copy MS in a few things that MS does better and that would help Sony earn more money than they already do, as would be a download only PS Now tier without streaming (which means it could be available worldwide), or to increase and improve their BC catalog and offerings. But things like that, that don't negatively affect their main revenue source (sales for their consoles) as would potentially be to have all their games day 1 on PS Now or in PC.

Regarding the time elapsed between the original PS launch of their games and the PC port, they said that were going to check out different times but that it would be a case by case scenario. As of now they are happy with Days Gone (2 years), Horizon (3 and a half) -and pretty likely will be, looking at the too early numbers with-, GoW (almost 4 years) or the upcoming U4 (6 years) +ULL (5 years) collection.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
What has been released are old games, they cost less.
Nobody is paying full price for GoW anymore.

You were spinning with false prices.

Like I said, Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves collection is kind of the first day and date release on both Steam and PS5.
You would take this game up, if you wanted to speculate honestly.
what the great fuck..man...The article talks about how according to Paul Tassi, Sony should release its exclusive day One on PC following in the footsteps of MS. I gave the example on the titles released so far by Sony and on how different and less famous games as example could be Knack or Destruction All star would fail to generate hype for sales and would be impossible to sell games like those after two years from launch at the price that an iconic (the most ps iconic) game like God of War is selling and how the "two year later" maneuver does not work well with all titles ....the article is about the future not about the old highly choosed games Sony ported till now

Last edited:

FrankWza

TLOU = PS3 + PS4 = 20 millions, so that's 2 platforms, and its still analyst's estimate

Spiderman, still not clear where 20 millions is???.... from someone's resume?? GTFO!!

The only acceptable number is PS4 GOW = 19.5M because that comes the developer official statement themselves, even that is not 20 millions
baby lemon GIF

GOW = nope. TLOU = nope. Spider-Man = nope

we're done here, back it up or stop making bogus claims
lemon GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom