• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Forbes] Sony Should Be Putting All PlayStation Exclusives On PC, Day One

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Last of Us

Spiderman:

God of War

realistic-receipt-template_23-2147938550.jpg

Topher

Gold Member
Why do people think that buying a PC is better than a console? In what world would a PC that runs a PS5 game cost $500 or less?

Doesn't exist, but PCs can be upgraded so it isn't about buying/building a new PC every time. Unfortunately, as things are, finding parts, particularly GPUs, is still far more expensive than consoles. It is not an ideal time to be a PC gamer so I'm adjusting to being primarily PC last gen to primarily console this gen. So far, the adjustment really has been fine.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Playstation will never get Halo, Xbox will never get Zelda, and than PC comes into the gaming world and wacks exclusives on the head.

True. PC is the only platform that has exclusives from all different consoles.

• Days Gone
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator
  • Halo
  • Monster Hunter Rise
  • God of War
  • Gears 5
  • Monster Hunter Stories 2
  • God of War
  • Grounded
  • Beyond: Two Souls
And the list goes on. No reason to buy 3 consoles where you can get all of them at the same place. At far higher fidelity and performance. And better store policies and features like refund and different controller support.

DaGwaphics

Why do people think that buying a PC is better than a console? In what world would a PC that runs a PS5 game cost $500 or less?

PC gaming never has been and never will be as cost effective. That's why PC gaming is not an existential threat to console gaming. Unless all the individual components start getting released with zero profit margins.

yurinka

That is, unless they launch a Gamepass style service with first party games on day 1. Then it would make sense to make everything available on day 1 on every platform where the service is available
Sony already has way more subscribers than MS and their gaming division generates way more money than the MS one. They don't need to put their games day one on a Sony Gamepass. Or in PC.

They already are performing better than any other console platformer did in gaming history. They have no reason to change their current strategy. Their next steps: to release more great new games for PS, some extra ports of old games for PC, release PSVR2, make some movies and tv shows of their IPs, some related mobile games, to buy a few more studios and maybe to release that rumored Spartacus project, that souds promising: to merge PS Plus and Now and add an intermediate tier that basically would be a download only version of PS Now available worldwide. And to add PS1, PSP and PS5 on top plus more PS2, PS3 an PS4 games.

That would help to continue dominating their market and growing.

We never hear this about Nintendo, for some reason...
Maybe it's because the PC players already play Nintendo games on PC (using emulators).

The Last of Us

Spiderman:

God of War
In the TLOU article they mention that back then (2019) Uncharted 4 was at 16, so pretty likely is at 20 as of now.

Last edited:
The Last of Us

Spiderman:

God of War

TLOU = PS3 + PS4 = 20 millions, so that's 2 platforms, and its still analyst's estimate

Spiderman, still not clear where 20 millions is???.... from someone's resume?? GTFO!!

The only acceptable number is PS4 GOW = 19.5M because that comes the developer official statement themselves, even that is not 20 millions

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Sony already has way more subscribers than MS and their gaming division generates way more money than the MS one. They don't need to put their games day one on a Sony Gamepass. Or in PC.

Sony is a business though and not a fanboy collective. This will have them looking at their competitors and looking for anything they see there that could be implemented to increase their own numbers. Both MS and Nintendo's numbers have some areas of growth that would be impressive even for the company on top. None of these businesses want to just get to the top and stagnate, continual growth is the goal. Through that lens it isn't hard to see how Sony could look at MS's numbers, relative to their position in the console market, and be thinking there might be room for self improvement here or there.

I don't necessarily expect Sony to suddenly copy MS and make a definitive statement that every game will release day and date on PC, at least not for quite a while off yet. However, it doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility that they shorten the console exclusive window substantially for basically the same effect. You get the distinct feeling they are slowing warming the bath by a few degrees at a time to avoid fanboy meltdowns.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned

They already are performing better than any other console platformer did in gaming history. They have no reason to change their current strategy. Their next steps: to release more great new games for PS, some extra ports of old games for PC, release PSVR2, make some movies and tv shows of their IPs, some related mobile games, to buy a few more studios and maybe to release that rumored Spartacus project, that souds promising: to merge PS Plus and Now and add an intermediate tier that basically would be a download only version of PS Now available worldwide. And to add PS1, PSP and PS5 on top plus more PS2, PS3 an PS4 games.

That would help to continue dominating their market and growing.

Maybe it's because the PC players already play Nintendo games on PC (using emulators).

In the TLOU article they mention that back then (2019) Uncharted 4 was at 16, so pretty likely is at 20 as of now.
Tencent is the one that generates the most for gaming industry, and they don't own a console.

Sony benefited from the lackluster of the xbox one. And wii u Nintendo to clench the market leader.

This gen is quite different. Switch kicked Playstation out of Japanese market. They sold 92m switch in just 4.5 years. They are closing down on the ps4 numbers.

MS bought entire zenimax. That means no doom, skyrim, or any zenimax games on Playstation. They also doing day1 games, which is stealing customers from Sony.

Whatever Sony had in the past doesn't matter now.

All that matter is keeping those 120m ps4 users from Xbox and switch. If Sony isn't careful, and keep letting these 2 do whatever they want, they will lose tons of the market share.

Xbox was facing the ps2. Then x360 happened. MS is seeing that jump now. That is how unpredictable the market is now. That is the reality.

I always say this. Sony needs to diversify their games. They need to do other genre. Shooter games, rpg games, mp games.

Topher

Gold Member
True. PC is the only platform that has exclusives from all different consoles.

• Days Gone
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator
  • Halo
  • Monster Hunter Rise
  • God of War
  • Gears 5
  • Monster Hunter Stories 2
  • God of War
  • Grounded
  • Beyond: Two Souls
And the list goes on. No reason to buy 3 consoles where you can get all of them at the same place. At far higher fidelity and performance. And better store policies and features like refund and different controller support.

Well.....there is lots missing from that list as well so your "no reason to buy 3 consoles" doesn't really work. Ideally that would be the case but it isn't there yet and no guarantee it ever will.

As far as "higher fidelity and performance"......that depends on the hardware as always. A lot of PC gamers have rigs far superior to consoles. Lots don't. You can't get PC's top performance at any price with a console. You can't get console's performance with PCs at console's price.

There are plenty of ways to look at PC and console gaming and there isn't one right way to do that.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
PC gaming never has been and never will be as cost effective. That's why PC gaming is not an existential threat to console gaming. Unless all the individual components start getting released with zero profit margins.
Especially if you play AAA games. PC ports lately have been terrible. For example Halo Infinite, which on PC requires a 3070 or 6800 to match Series X performance.

kingfey

Banned
If you are fine being a pirate, you mean?
There is no pirate with old gen. If they can't support those games anymore, do they really own them?

I mean, I can't play ps3 games on my ps5, and other x360 games on xseries consoles.

Its every man for himself after that.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Especially if you play AAA games. PC ports lately have been terrible. For example Halo Infinite, which on PC requires a 3070 or 6800 to match Series X performance.
Even because scalping, prices were getting insane.
Oh yeah infinite runs terribly

TLOU = PS3 + PS4 = 20 millions, so that's 2 platforms, and its still analyst's estimate

Spiderman, still not clear where 20 millions is???.... from someone's resume?? GTFO!!

The only acceptable number is PS4 GOW = 19.5M because that comes the developer official statement themselves, even that is not 20 millions

A non-nintendo exclusive selling 20 million copies really triggers you fanboys huh lmao

kingfey

Banned
Factually, yes. You don't have to like it, but don't lie to yourself and think you are right.
No one is actually right. Its all about perspective. Right or wrong, depends on the situation. If I a user, cant get the product from the owner, then I will do whatever it takes, to get that product. be it 3rd party, or other methods.

No one is actually right. Its all about perspective. Right or wrong, depends on the situation. If I a user, cant get the product from the owner, then I will do whatever it takes, to get that product. be it 3rd party, or other methods.

No, you're not right. Pirate as much as you want, but you're in the wrong no matter how you want to justify it.

Topher

Gold Member

And in a court of law you will lose. Talk bullshit all you want that is just the fact....

There is no pirate with old gen. If they can't support those games anymore, do they really own them?

I mean, I can't play ps3 games on my ps5, and other x360 games on xseries consoles.

Its every man for himself after that.

I believe you fail to look into the future. From what I’m seeing these consoles with BC support are allowing people to buy games from previous generations in both digital and physical form. I believe this is due to both systems switching to X86 in the previous generation. As long as they continue to use x86 you should be able to still buy PS4 games on even the PS6 or PS7. At that point console gaming will become like steam where you can still buy incredibly old games off the service. Bar any delisting developers and publishers should still receive income from those titles. This is unlike those PSX titles that nobody can buy anymore. I think it’s going to be very hard to justify downloading those games for free when you can still buy them.

As someone who is into retro gaming I can understand how difficult it is to find an old console that functions and the games. But if the software is readily available it becomes very difficult to justify downloading the games for free.

I hope PS4/X1 games remain available to buy for many years just like old games are on PC.

sncvsrtoip

But Sony is following Microsoft here. This is exactly what MS did. They started off with one or two games then ported everything then finally day one releases. This is Sony’s end game. There is no media conspiracy. Sony wants this. They have literally said this to the investors. They went out and bought a pc porting studio.

Everyone can see the writing on the wall.
Sony maybe want to follow Microsoft but they not making windows and not having gamepass so what we see is more fallowing sega route

kingfey

Banned
I believe you fail to look into the future. From what I’m seeing these consoles with BC support are allowing people to buy games from previous generations in both digital and physical form. I believe this is due to both systems switching to X86 in the previous generation. As long as they continue to use x86 you should be able to still buy PS4 games on even the PS6 or PS7. At that point console gaming will become like steam where you can still buy incredibly old games off the service. Bar any delisting developers and publishers should still receive income from those titles. This is unlike those PSX titles that nobody can buy anymore. I think it’s going to be very hard to justify downloading those games for free when you can still buy them.

As someone who is into retro gaming I can understand how difficult it is to find an old console that functions and the games. But if the software is readily available it becomes very difficult to justify downloading the games for free.

I hope PS4/X1 games remain available to buy for many years just like old games are on PC.
ps1 to ps2 is the same as ps4 to ps4. Ps3 fucked that process. If they start doing shit like that, they can kill the BC momentum. I dont trust these companies to do the right thing. How long, do you think both Sony and MS will support this BC? Aside of BR, they have no interest in supporting old games.

ps1 to ps2 is the same as ps4 to ps4. Ps3 fucked that process. If they start doing shit like that, they can kill the BC momentum. I dont trust these companies to do the right thing. How long, do you think both Sony and MS will support this BC? Aside of BR, they have no interest in supporting old games.
Well they are interested in the revenue that comes from older titles. Allowing people to buy games from previous generations on a system that supports BC makes sense. Which is what the digital stores for the PS5 and Series consoles are doing.

kingfey

Banned
They won't bother, but that is beside the point.

Frankly, I think pirates are just petty thieves.
they are. I condone piracy. They are not fun, since you can get actual jail time, if you arent careful. Sometimes, you might download the wrong movie, and you get jailed.

kingfey

Banned
Well they are interested in the revenue that comes from older titles. Allowing people to buy games from previous generations on a system that supports BC makes sense. Which is what the digital stores for the PS5 and Series consoles are doing.
the recent titles for the ps4 and xbox one generate money. But the problem rises, when the new console is around, and you are 1 gen behind. You dont see that much sales.

the recent titles for the ps4 and xbox one generate money. But the problem rises, when the new console is around, and you are 1 gen behind. You dont see that much sales.

Doesn’t stop me from buying extremely old PC games like Doom for example. Which I actually did and then I put it in my retro gaming device. Delisting usually happens to do copy right issues. Like when a publisher loses music rights in a game for example. It’s not usually due to low sales.

Brofist

It can't be day one, PC development needs more time than consoles because of the varied hardware. With so many variations, there could be a glitch or bug they may never squash because they didn't account for someone using a core i3 6100, RTX 3080ti, and only 8GB of ram.
I guess MS and all those 3rd party games must be developed by magical elves that somehow manage day 1 releases.

Last edited:

Inviusx

But the console hardware doesn't have any advantages with regards to cpu/graphics. You act like the console has hidden hardware features that are left untapped that the PC hardware doesn't have when it's actually the exact opposite.

True, the specs of these new consoles are as close to modern PC'S as they ever have been however the architecture is the exact same across the board, so rather than having to account for all the different types of PC configurations, low/high quality settings and all the permutations in between, they get to squeeze as much out of a single spec as possible knowing the experience will be identical for all players, that's the advantage.

This extends to all aspects of the console though. First party devs have the luxury of knowing that all player input will be coming via the DS5 so they can emphasis those features. All players will have access to 3D spacial audio via headphones so they can push that as well.

And that's not even talking about the specific software enhancements like the hint system, accolades, pause/resume and the list goes on.

All of this stuff is likely to be overlooked or under utilised if the developer also has to consider PC at launch and that's why I think PC ports should be handled later down the road.

Last edited:

Brofist

True, the specs of these new consoles are as close to modern PC'S as they ever have been however the architecture is the exact same across the board, so rather than having to account for all the different types of PC configurations, low/high quality settings and all the permutations in between, they get to squeeze as much out of a single spec as possible knowing the experience will be identical for all players, that's the advantage.

This extends to all aspects of the console though. First party devs have the luxury of knowing that all player input will be coming via the DS5 so they can emphasis those features. All players will have access to 3D spacial audio via headphones so they can push that as well.

And that's not even talking about the specific software enhancements like the hint system, accolades, pause/resume and the list goes on.

All of this stuff is likely to be overlooked or under utilised if the developer also has to consider PC at launch and that's why I think PC ports should be handled later down the road.
I doubt that Sony would ever cut corners on their console versions of games even in this scenario. They have different teams handling PC ports anyway.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
God of War, TLOU and Spiderman

No one said single platform either. Doesn't really matter. Your salty ass added that criteria to cope
Wii U games and Switch remasters are not added together when we calculate the total sales of the games.

I don't even understand how Nintendo sells so many lower budget games with very rare and small price drops, but they are easily the first party sales king. Even during the Wii U era they never went third party on PC.

I don't think Sony will give PC day 1 games, but I was surprised when they decided to put games on PC at all so who knows.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sony maybe want to follow Microsoft but they not making windows and not having gamepass so what we see is more fallowing sega route
lol goddamm. I thought I was being harsh but you went straight for the jugular lmao

And yes, at least MS has an xbox store on windows so maybe they want to sell gamepass to pc gamers. No idea why sony doesnt have their own store.

kingfey

Banned
Wii U games and Switch remasters are not added together when we calculate the total sales of the games.

I don't even understand how Nintendo sells so many lower budget games with very rare and small price drops, but they are easily the first party sales king. Even during the Wii U era they never went third party on PC.

I don't think Sony will give PC day 1 games, but I was surprised when they decided to put games on PC at all so who knows.
They are yakuza. They know very well, how to handle their products.

Problem with MS and Sony is their price games. When you make your games dirt cheap, your IPs lose value. While nintendo games dont lose value.

God of war, Halo 5. These are big games, with big budgets. God of war now is 20$, or 10$ during sales. Halo5 is 20$. If you want digital key, its 10$.

These prices lower the value of your IPs, in the eyes of the customers.

Mario kart, and BOW are still sold at 60$. They have value. If you buy them during the launch day, you can get your money back. That is a value in the eyes of the customers.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Because they're fun, good games? Graphics are nice, but a good game is a good game.

kingfey

Banned
lol goddamm. I thought I was being harsh but you went straight for the jugular lmao

And yes, at least MS has an xbox store on windows so maybe they want to sell gamepass to pc gamers. No idea why sony doesnt have their own store.
have you seen epic? The are losing alot of money on their store.
Also MS store is shit. I doubt it makes money for them.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
If this happend by next gen I would probably go PC only.

If there wasn't a chip shortage you could get a PS5/XSX level PC for about £600.

Which is cheaper then buying both consoles.

kingfey

Banned
If this happend by next gen I would probably go PC only.

If there wasn't a chip shortage you could get a PS5/XSX level PC for about £600.

Which is cheaper then buying both consoles.
no way a long time console user, will quit his console, and go to pc. Consoles are like cigarettes. They are harder to quit. they arent complicated like pc. PC will make you crawl back to consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom