• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes Contributor: At This Point, ‘Halo Infinite’ Could Launch Without A Campaign And Still Be A Megahit

The challeng Halo will face isn't actually related to its quality, which I no doubt believe it'll be great. The real problem is that there are too many f2p fps MP games in the market rn. There's way too many competition.

That's fine, I think, because Halo Infinite's sandbox and gameplay are very much unique compared to them all. The kinds of amazing things that I've seen take place in just a few days of Halo Infinite multiplayer just don't happen in these other games. The gameplay just feels so damn good.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I actually like halo story on rails, etc, I'm a bit worried in the attempt to make the game "open world" some of that will be lost. But maybe the flexibility will make up for it.
And yes definately enjoying the multiplayer.

YukiOnna

The challeng Halo will face isn't actually related to its quality, which I no doubt believe it'll be great. The real problem is that there are too many f2p fps MP games in the market rn. There's way too many competition.
I think it depends. How many of them are sandbox/arena shooters? The views the videos get, the social feed with each flight has been pretty immense, so I don't think it's going to fly under the radar. Above all else, Halo is still a relevant IP today so that has a factor.

RubberedDucky

Neo Member
Hyperbolic headline. It's fun, but it doesn't hold a candle to Bungie's work. Excited to get online with all my friends in December but I worry about its staying power with my casual friendgroup. It feels far too much like Activision was told to make a Halo clone but weren't given any of the old code or assets. 7/10 but a little soulless.

Starfield

Forbes also made an article about Tom Cruise being in Starfield.

At this point Forbes shouldnt be allowed to be posted here anymore lol

supernova8

Banned
Forbes contributor

Gene Wilder No Thanks GIF

ZehDon

... Halo Infinite's multiplayer is a separate F2P game, so it is launching without a Campaign. And based on the tech preview, it's going to be an absolute monster.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think its obvious it's going to be huge. Free to play, doing more or less everything the fans have asked for. A weaker year for COD. its all lining up for them.

If it has staying power is yet to be seen but it could do very well.

I'm looking forward to the campaign.

In all honesty, I actually wish they ditched the campaign in Halo games nowadays and just spent ALL of the resources on making a massive multiplayer game.
Just soooooooooooo much content.

Halo is a game that should've ended a billion games ago.
Halo 1-3 is amazing, I think that the very end of 4 with Chief and Cortana is great too but the rest of the game was meh.
And after that it has just felt like shameless milking of the franchise.
Just let it end already...

They can still make a competitive multiplayer game without a campaign.

Edit: Especially since they could just ignore the lore and focus on fun, just go crazy with it.
It's so hard to take the story seriously when you know that they just have to desperately keep it going and going and going and going.
There's no end to it.

ZywyPL

Banned
giphy.gif

This will most likely be the biggest MP of this holiday season. CoD seems to be underwhelming, while BF with it's 70$ paywall will have a limited audience.

The delay has worked wonders 343 have now been able to polish Halo Infinite exceptional high standards with stunning graphics and awesome fun gameplay, it just feels, controls and plays so good...

Looking forward to both the campaign and multiplayer in a couple of months

Airbus Jr

Banned
2021 GOTY is going to be interesting, as there haven't been any real bangers. Everything's been pushed to 2022..!
Halo Infinite wont be eligible for 2021 GOTY nomination

Also i dont understand why is this a good news

Never touch halo mp since halo MCC, age prob has something to do with it tho im too tired and disinterested in spending multiplayer game these days to often my reflex is letting me down

I just want a good single player campaign

Last edited:

martino

Why not? Releasing too late..?

If it's not, then they'll be handing the award to Ratchet and Clank, Returnal, or Kena.

Or some Indie game only a handful of us have heard of :)
No some goty are given too soon....(when you need $$$ to only appear on the list) let's not reverse the problem and where dumbness is.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Need to calm down a bit. It will obviously start with a bang but we've seen too many multiplayers fall off a cliff ledge after a month or so. It's a really enjoyable and solid multi game but players are fickle.

SpokkX

The multiplayer is on another level, I've said previously I only cared about the arena...

But now I'm mega hyped about big team battle, it is absurdly fun!

Honestly by far the best/most fun multiplayer experience I've had in years.
Yes

This is the best multiplayer experience I have had since the early days of Xbox Live

It just feels so amazing to play and it actually tries way more new stuff than I expected

The multiplayer alone will be my game of the year.

At least we know the singleplayer will "feel" good - the mission/level design and story are the big questionsmarks.. oh and the amount of "polish" , the campaign still feels rushed

SpokkX

After playing Infinite now, im pretty confident that this game wont be a megahit.
A barebones package with lots of missing stuff will never be a megahit.
oh you have played the final release already?

please - tell us what is missing in the package? - i dont think it is public knowledge except for coop and forge missing

... unless you tried a "technical test" and just guessed?

ripeavocado

Banned
Some bloggers really like to put the extra "work" into marketing a game...

I bet MS will be thankful.

Halo Infinite may have a nice multiplayer but will this be enough in the current climate? probably not.

It’s fun and it remembers me of the glory days of Halo 3 but idk if it will have legs after release.

I think mega hit is a stretch but it will get more players than the new call of duty and Battlefield 2042 because the MP is free to play and it’s on game pass for Xbox one, Series X/S and PC.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

Not even joking when I say its the best MP experience I've had in the last few years, they really nailed the sandbox and gameplay/moment to moment gunplay, if the campaign is a hit aswell this game will be up there with one of the best Halo games ever made, fair play to 343i, they have not been shy of showing the MP offering and confident in giving us all a lot of the tools to just play around with which is a very good sign.

GymWolf

You know what? After halo 4 and 5 i'm not even sure if i want a campaign from 343 people anymore.

They really have everything to prove with infinite.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I despise Forbes, but I went ahead and read the article anyway. And now I'm reminded yet again why I despise Forbes. Tassi is basically advocating for delaying the campaign again and using multiplayer as an excuse. Does anyone really think that would be a good idea? That would be a PR nightmare. Why is he assuming the campaign is going to be bad? And at this point, assuming he is correct, what good would it do? Throw the campaign in the trash and start over? I think 343 needs to release the entirety of Halo Infinite at this point in whatever shape it is in and move forward.

Ellery

Halo Infinite was already delayed an entire year after it was originally planned as a selling point to launch alongside the Xbox Series X and it has been in development for many more years and I see absolutely no reason why they would only launch a tiny fraction of the game.

I was planning on playing Forza and Halo Infinite Single Player in December and I still expect to do that, There are enough multiplayer only games and I think the next BF that is coming out around that time is also a MP only game.

I just see no way that Microsoft would do this. At this point Halo has become more than a game for Microsoft. It is somewhat like an identity and they really shouldn't let it rot. The delay that was initiated by the public wasn't easy to take, but the expectations are high and anything short than a really great game would be a catastrophe at this point.

Robb

Gold Member
The impressions I’ve read have been really positive. I’m not much of a multiplayer guy, but I’ll definitely try it out.

Really hoping the single player can deliver something special as well.

Dibils2k

played it this weekend and it genuinely looked really good and played very nicely. i like the feedback from hitting/killing enemies

the fact One S version is 30fps now, gives me hope for the campaign, should mean not as many sacrifices

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Why not? Releasing too late..?

If it's not, then they'll be handing the award to Ratchet and Clank, Returnal, or Kena.

Or some Indie game only a handful of us have heard of :)

Kena nah mate I dont think that game is in the running.

Mate
GOTY is far from decided.

• Rift Apart
  • Returnal
  • Deathloop
  • It Takes Two
  • Psychonauts 2
  • Monster Hunter Rise
  • Deaths Door
  • Tales of Arise - Yes I think it deserves a nom

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
In this era of beta "testing", youtubers, streamers, influencers a game is the NEXT BEST THING EVER every single time. Why not wait until people can actually buy it and see if a lot of people like it?

Last edited:

BigLee74

After playing Infinite now, im pretty confident that this game wont be a megahit.
A barebones package with lots of missing stuff will never be a megahit.

What a load of bollocks. If there is one thing Halo MP is not, it’s barebones. There will be more game modes than you can shake a stick at, catering for a variety of playstyles and player counts.

And that’s before you factor in a campaign (with optional coop) and forge.

Try and remember you are currently playing a limited technical test before you jump to your (not entirely unexpected) awful conclusions.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

What a load of bollocks. If there is one thing Halo MP is not, it’s barebones. There will be more game modes than you can shake a stick at, catering for a variety of playstyles and player counts.

And that’s before you factor in a campaign (with optional coop) and forge.

Try and remember you are currently playing a limited technical test before you jump to your (not entirely in expected) awful conclusions.
The guy is a mega troll who keeps shitting on the game without even playing it, he has been in all the Halo Infinite threads spreading the same BS, best to move on and put him on ignore.

Andodalf

Banned
In all honesty, I actually wish they ditched the campaign in Halo games nowadays and just spent ALL of the resources on making a massive multiplayer game.
Just soooooooooooo much content.

Halo is a game that should've ended a billion games ago.
Halo 1-3 is amazing, I think that the very end of 4 with Chief and Cortana is great too but the rest of the game was meh.
And after that it has just felt like shameless milking of the franchise.
Just let it end already...

They can still make a competitive multiplayer game without a campaign.

Edit: Especially since they could just ignore the lore and focus on fun, just go crazy with it.
It's so hard to take the story seriously when you know that they just have to desperately keep it going and going and going and going.
There's no end to it.
After Halo 4 it was meh? So like, Just H5? H5 was a bad campaign by it's own merits, not due to fatigue or anything.

Top Bottom