• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those that still game primarily on PS4 and haven't moved on to PS5... why?

What's your PlayStation situation at the moment?

• I have a PS5 and buy my PlayStation games there

Votes: 128 58.2%
  • I have a PS4 Slim or Original but plan to upgrade once I can actually get a PS5 easier

Votes: 14 6.4%
  • I have a PS4 Pro but plan to upgrade once I can actually get a PS5 easier

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • I have a PS4 Slim or Original and I'm totally fine with it for now, no plans to upgrade for a while

Votes: 31 14.1%
  • I have a PS4 Pro and I'm totally fine with it for now, no plans to upgrade for a while

Votes: 14 6.4%
  • I don't own a PlayStation

Votes: 22 10.0%

• Total voters

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I lend my PS4 pro to my younger brother and just playing on PS5, it helps that I can play 99% my PS4 games on my PS5.

The only games I was looking forward to from Sony this year was Horizon: Forbidden West, God of War: Ragnarok, and Gran Turismo 7. All of which play just fine on my PS4 Pro. Can't justify the cost since there is nothing else coming that peaks my interest.

nial

Gold Member
Why would you get a PS5 when almost every game is also on PS4 and you can save those $500 on a device that actually has games?
like...?
To answer OP, I'll probably get one next year. No rush as of now.

Last edited:

SyberWolf

Jt6RYIW.gif

Demon Souls Remake???
Returnal???
Ratchet and Clank???
Final fantasy XVI
Spider-Man 2

both arriving next year hopefully

Doczu

PS4 Pro owner, not getting a PS5 untill the price goes down or the economy recovers.

Enough games to play on the 4 to keep me entertainedfor a long time.

nush

Gold Member
I only buy a new console when there are ten games on it that I want to play. That's different from ten games to play if you have the console, for clarity. This shields me from software droughts, delayed releases, buggy early hardware etc. Wii U made the cut, I got my ten and then a lot more (Which I considered a bonus for a failed console).

So still waiting on PS5 to get there, prettier versions of PS4 games don't cut it.

brian0057

Banned
like...?
To answer OP, I'll probably get one next year. No rush as of now.
I don't know, that's up to you.
I'm going through the PS2 and Gamecube library and thoroughly enjoying videogames again.
There's literally no reason to own a PS5.

lachesis

I have PS5 launch model, but all my games (except the built in Astro game) - they are PS4 cross gen.
It's just games that are interesting to me, are PS4 games or cross gen games for me.

No regret getting PS5 though - as it runs PS4 games like a champ and some have next gen updates for free - but I understand if there are people who still satisfied with PS4 or PS4 Pro - if the content they enjoy are still available - like most of JRPGs and all - and not in particular hurry to upgrade to PS5. Before blaming them, perhaps you should blame the publishers not taking the risk of making PS5 exclusive games if they really wanted to force the audience to accept PS5.

And... availability of said games on PC as well. If you have a decent gaming PC, living without either PS5 or Xbox isn't a big deal - as most games, if not all... end up coming to the PC one way or another. If you also consider that, the priority of getting a PS5 gets lower and lower.

In either case, blaming consumers for their own choices is asinine. The blame should be directed to the makers not making the console(s) feel more "essential" or "necessary" to play games IMO.

Last edited:

th4tguy

I refuse to buy one 2nd hand even if new.
The lack of must have exclusives while still enjoying peak output from Nintendo.
Because it’s taken this long, I might as well wait for a slim model which would be a wonderful improvement over the current design.

The only single reason I haven't bought yet a ps5 (PS4 pro owner here), is the TV.
My tv is a 2010 Sony 42" full HD.
It's severely diminishing the visuals I could get from a ps5.
I decided a while ago to buy a 75" tv. But as the tv is in a bright room, OLED is not an option. So I lurk high end LCD tvs. I decided myself on a 75x95j and it has stabilized itself @2000 €.
When I'm ready to spend this amount, I'll buy a ps5 the coming second.

Cupbeam

Neo Member
Have a ps4 pro, and still clearing backlog. Been waiting for PS5 stocks to arrive. There have been none so far..maybe wait for mid gen refresh lol

nial

Gold Member
I don't know, that's up to you.
I'm going through the PS2 and Gamecube library and thoroughly enjoying videogames again.
There's literally no reason to own a PS5.
Your point is a bit... weird? I don't know what you're trying to convey. For many people, 60fps, 1440p+ resolution, RT (in the case of certain games, like those from Imsomniac) is a huge improvement. I think you're still fine if you stick with last-gen, but I can understand what people are seeing on these current-gen consoles (including the Xbox Series X).

Deciding whether to wait for the PS5 Slim revision, tbh. Not that it would matter; would still be primarily physical on my end...although I might switch to an ISP with no data caps by then which makes digital appealing (wouldn't be moving games between multiple systems anyway, and can just store games on an external SSD if no need to play them).

Still have digital codes for HFW, GOWR etc. even tho I got the disc versions so...yeah.

Marvel14

Banned
PS5 has been out for over 2 years now and cross gen games are still released very often. I'm just curious how many people here still use a PS4 as their main gaming platform and if they have any plans to upgrade or if they plan to stay on PS4 as long as possible. I also know PS5 is still hard to get your hands on so I'm sure some people may be waiting for availability as well. The poll has separate options for PS4 Pro and Slim/Original as well.

Personally I have a PS5 (preordered it in 2020 before release) so I've chosen that option. I didn't have a PS4 so I used the PS5 to catch up on exclusives I missed.
Your Poll doesn't generate the information you're looking for. You want to survey PS owners so your last option is useless.

Your first option is a counterfactual which is a separate question for a thread titled " share of ps4 vs ps5 owners" although is still a valid survey subsample.

But most of all, you would have gotten richer info with a list of options around reasons for holding off making the move including:

-PS 5 availability
-backlog of PS4 games to play
-large number of cross gen titles
-lack of next gen exclusive killer apps
-PS5 formfactor- ie waiting for PS5 slim
-PS5 power: waiting for a Pro upgrade
-Moving away from PS ecosystem altogether.
-PS 5 affordability

Waste of a thread poll really...

Last edited:

Nydius

PS4 Pro still does the business God of War and Forbidden West are perfectly fine on there.

I can't speak to God of War because I already had my PS5 but I originally played HFW on my PS4 Pro with a Samsung QVO SSD before getting my PS5 in the May Direct. I played New Game+ on the PS5 and it's a night and day difference. It looked fine and played decently enough on the PS4 Pro with an internal SATA SSD but on the PS5? Smooth as butter, quick af to load, zero issues with texture pop in, much improved visuals, more stable frame rate. Trying to play it on the PS4 Pro now? I'd rather get a root canal.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Your Poll doesn't generate the information you're looking for. You want to survey PS owners so your last option is useless.

Your first option is a counterfactual which is a separate question for a thread titled " share of ps4 vs ps5 owners" although is still a valid survey subsample.

But most of all, you would have gotten richer info with a list of options around reasons for holding off making the move including:

-PS 5 availability
-backlog of PS4 games to play
-large number of cross gen titles
-lack of next gen exclusive killer apps
-PS5 formfactor- ie waiting for PS5 slim
-PS5 power: waiting for a Pro upgrade
-Moving away from PS ecosystem altogether.
-PS 5 affordability

Waste of a thread poll really...
No I got the information that I wanted but thank you for your concern.

I never had the ps4 pro so being able to play Demon Soul's remake day 1 and replay many games at 60fps was worth it for me but I know I was incredibly lucky to get one on launch day and being able to afford one.

Only reason I bought one is because my Pro was on the fritz. To this day it sits, gathering dust until I want to play a PS4 game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Never had to deal with this. I have had both on launch, but I do have some thoughts on why I stuck to PS4. Reason to play on PS4 was because I had 100’s of hours with the DualShock 4. Dark Souls and Bloodborne were still installed on the PS4. I play Guilty Gear Strive on PS4 because I didn’t want to mash on my DualSense. They’re both great consoles. Two years later I’ll just play it on PS5. I still have my categories/folders on PS4 ready to be played.

I think considerably more people will pursue PS5’s when there are more exclusives and much better availability. About 95% of the games being on both consoles probably isn’t really helping either.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I wouldn’t be surprised if the holdouts want to wait for a slim model, or simply for more PS5 exclusives. I ended up with a PS5 and have been enjoying it, but if money was tighter I’d have no problem being happy with my PS4 Pro. This has been the case gen to gen for the last 15 years, it’s not until year 3 or 4 that the new console is a no brainer (when it has a ton of exclusives and utilized the power better than cross gen and launch titles).
I am not PS fan by any mean and am waiting for a slim version since I just started wanting a ps5 recently, it would probably be cheaper so spending the money to play a few exclusives won't feel too bad

Jesb

There isn’t a single game worth forking close to 1k would be one reason. Another would be that it’s never in stock 2 years later.

I have a PS4 Pro and just really don't have any incentive nor motivation to get a PS5 anytime soon.
I'm not interested in any of the few PS5 exclusives that are currently available. Yes, I know that PS4 games run better on the PS5, but for me the difference isn't at the level of night and day between PS4 Pro and PS5. I also haven't had a TV or home theatre upgrade in the last decade, so I'd need that upgrade too in order to really get the most out of the PS5... need to research first before making that investment of course.
Lastly, I have other focuses and priorities going on right now too, so entertainment is kinda on the back burner currently.
So yeah, lots of variables and factors as to why I don't have a PS5.

The way I see it, once GTA6 or any other game that I'm really excited for comes out, I'll do the TV, home theatre, and console upgrades all at once. Who knows, maybe by that time there will be a PS5 Pro or Slim release?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
no money
only 3 exclusives
steam deck looks more appealing
the games are coming to PC anyways
dont really own a ps4 but those are my 2 cents. if the pc ports stop i might consider buying one

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Even if there were no PS5 exclusives the upgrade would be worth it just for the 60fps options. That makes a huge difference to me.

Pretty much the same. From the beginning, improved performance was a major reason for getting PS5 for me.

Why would you get a PS5 when almost every game is also on PS4 and you can save those $500 on a device that actually has games?

Same reason most PC folks upgrade their GPUs.

splattered

Honestly money not an issue, I just wanted to hold out for a slim or pro model. This Ragnarok bundle model is a honkin ugly pos. But games look nice on it though as they should. Some upgrade/save/UI stuff is clunky and could be way better but I'll get over it. Once a slim or pro model actually does release I will def sell this obesetation 5 and never look back.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I bought a PS5 Digital for $400 about a year ago.

Sold my PS4 Pro with 2 controllers on Swappa for $320.

Worth it.

Eiknarf

Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

Is the PS5 in stock everywhere?
Yup

I’ve seen PILES of them at Gamestop and Best Buy’s everywhere in New York, and I also received an email from both PlayStation and Gamestop that they’re “back in stock now”

The “out of stock” days are over

Last edited:

Moses85

Yup

I’ve seen PILES of them at Gamestop and Best Buy’s everywhere in New York, and I also received an email from both PlayStation and Gamestop that they’re “back in stock now”

The “out of stock” days are over
My Post is 3 month old 😅

Now, yes, you can find it everywhere

Last edited:

LimanimaPT

There should be an option "PS5 is roo expensive".
Only now I'm starting to see PS5s at 550 euros, but it still is too much. Maybe when they reach 400 I'll get one.

gimmmick

Purchased my ps5 when GoW:R released (bundle). Waited 2 years till they actually had enough supply to not have to wait in a que to purchase one online.

PSX2007

Neo Member
Waiting for a Slim -- it's too big for my entertainment console. Just hope the wait isn't much longer. If it's not by the end of the year, I may cave and just put it underneath the console, which will be ugly.

Ar¢tos

I would still be on ps4 if mine hadn't broke down. It was impossible to replace (no ps4s anywhere!), so I bought a ps5.
The main reason is that the games I play (mainly indies) still release for Ps4 and the graphics aren't that important to me.
I basically bought a ps5 to continue playing Stardew Valley.
I would eventually buy a ps5 for PSVR2, but it would be by end the end of this year or beginning of the next one.

Ten-ish weeks later and my situation hasn't changed much. I own three physical PS5 games, and two digital ones. Hopefully things improve this year with titles like FFXVI and Granblue Fantasy Relink around the corner.

Top Bottom