• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those of you who vehemently dislike a console or console manufacturer, why? (not looking for a fight, actually curious)

Aion002

I don't like Nintedo, simply because I dislike their games.

I don't necessary hate Nintendo and I respect their vision of video games, but I dislike it.

Shrugging It Is What It Is GIF by Farmers Insurance ®

Last edited:

SoraNoKuni

I used to have a 360 as a teenager and even modded it myself(RGH) and a fan mod because it was RROD suspectible, I liked the console then ended up hating it.

Didn't have the same quality games PS3 eventually got, and I was forced to care about my 360 way too much to enjoy it as I didn't have money to get a replacement, so RROD was like a death sentence for all my gaming activities.

I am really bitter about that era, and I don't have any good gaming memories from back then except maybe the first 2 gears of war.

The Xbox one, and now the Xbox series of consoles are pretty much just a watered down version of pc gaming. No real exclusives, painful download and install times and seriously poor quality remotes. And my experience with the Xbox series x was I had gotten a unit that scratched discs and that’s pretty much the last I want to deal with Xbox. Why bother when you have a pc, PlayStation and switch?

The og and esp. 360 were great consoles.

Last edited:

Renozokii

i don't hate either. i'll buy whatever one makes sense to me. and for me that has been:

PS1
PS2
PS3
PS4
XSX

I was ready to buy an XB1 in 2013 but we all know how that went. Ultimately i feel it was the right decision getting a PS4. It's still early to really say about PS5 but this is the first time in 25 years that i haven't been excited about a Playstation console. the only reason i want one is because i was stupid enough to sell my PS4 and it would be even more stupid to buy one again when all i want to play is a couple games (Persona 5/Bloodborne). i'll just wait for the PS5 Slim and pick it up. as for exclusive PS5 games the only ones that interest me are Demons Souls ( a remake of a 11 year old game...........) and Horizon Forbidden West.

i'm not loyal to a multi billion $ company. i'll join whatever platform has the games i wanna play or has the best value. fanboyism is pathetic and immature. but yeah good luck getting a fair balanced view from this forum which is heavily Sony biased.
When every major forum and social media is Sony biased aside from Microsoft stints of astroturfing, when PlayStation dominates nearly the entire world compared to Xbox, and PlayStation stomps as hard as it does sales wise there’s probably a reason for that.

Alright

Banned
I loved the Dreamcast, it's still one of my favorite systems, but Sega killed the Dreamcast just like they killed the Saturn. Both machines were not properly equipped to stay competitive in the market due to the two-headed nature of Sega with the Japan and US divisions constantly screwing each other over.
Sega, Sony and pirating killed the Dream cast but the Sega fanboy in me still blames Sony
Haha thats as good a reason as any. Dreamcast was a great system, i played mine regularly until it stopped working. Its debatable which console went on to “replace” the dreamcast. I think gamecube and xbox split the difference in terms of feeling like a spiritual successor
The Xbox was the spiritual successor. Born of a drunken idea by a bunch of Microsoft bods who were upset that the Dreamcast was discontinued.

They even copied the philosophy of the DC by making some incredible gaming experiences. Some collapsed under the weight of their own ambition (Advent Rising)

Shut0wen

Im not posing this question to be combative, or even to challenge anyones views. Ive just been interested in the psychology behind console warring, or what makes someone say “i will never buy a game console or game from x manufacturer”. Wheather you dislike playstation, Nintendo, or xbox, what is the specific reason you feel that way, outside of spiting someone else on a forum?

for me, i play more xbox than playstation, but i own and use both. I have since the ps360 generation. Ive always leaned xbox because it was where most of my friends were and the controller, but i dont dislike playstation at all. I adore many of those exclusives and i think the ps5 is a great console. I do have my gripes with both companies right now. But nothing that pushes me over the edge into hatred territory.

I also think that some times its fun to get caught up in the wars, exxagerating your opinion or stance to insight reactions some times. After all arguing is a good way to release stress. So i wonder if that plays a role?
Out of all 3 i dont dislike any of them but i never buy a sony console, never owned one since a ps1 (one of my top 3 consoles as well) but i mainly dislike there controllers (ps4s was way better then ps3s but didnt like the bumpers) also im not keen on there exclusives either, only one ive enjoyed recently was the last of us and spiderman, i personally thought they had some really good exclusives on ps3 such as killzone 2 and 3, latest socom and mgs4 (ive also played almost all of there exclusives as i my dad and flat mate both own a ps4) one company id say i dislike is nintendos practices, there exclusive are amazing and some of the best games ever created but them just porting games and selling emulators for £50 is just shitbag, even worst is that i end ip buying them because there games are so good, xbox overall decent just ashame about there exclusives, only xbox exclusives ive enjoy lately was rare replay, gears 4 and 5 and the forza horizon series, rest have been poor

Lunarorbit

I'm a ps and Nintendo guy but I have nothing but respect and appreciation for MS. Each of these companies pushes each other and overall make gaming better.

On the other hand you have stadia. Fuck that thing. I could see them shuttering that console a mile away. The infrastructure isn't here in most of the US to support streaming and isp are trying their hardest to fuck us and take more money. Google didn't care at all about this system and as soon as hard times came they abandoned it.

EA obviously. Not sure why they even bothered with Anthem. Next Dragon age supposed to be online. Then the fans said wtf so they backpedeled. Destroying how many studios? It's low hanging fruit to single them out but they suck and that's not even talking about their greed with mtx in sports games.

Rudius

I didn't like Nintendo's idea to make obsolete (and still expensive for what they offered) consoles from 2006 onwards. I'm ok with the Switch being weaker, because in a portable that makes sense.

MiguelItUp

I don't vehemently dislike any console or console manufacturer TBH.

I suppose the only amount of disappointment that I do frequently have is with Nintendo, if anything. Like a lot of folks around my age group, I grew up adoring Nintendo. Over the decades it feels like Nintendo started really strong and then just proceeded to degrade in a number of ways. They're still successful, sure. But they just kind of took a backseat in a lot of ways. It feels like every once and awhile they drop a "hot" title, then they go back into the background again. I just really wish they were more so on the forefront all the time.

That being said I STILL love them and always will.

Loope

I don't hate any of them and i don't own any of them.
I did own a X360 that RROD and i never bought another console. Sony fanboys are the most rabbid of them all (imo). Never owned a Sony console but i had a top of the line mp3 player (300€) at the time that shit the bed, Sony support awful as ever. Had 3 xperia phones, all shit. Had several TVs from them, never had much problems. I basically had lots of stuff from Sony except a console. Their support is the worst thing i experienced.

Microsoft, like i said, i had a X360 that shit the bed, never bought another console. I have a surface pro original and that shit is a beast, just today on a construction site going over some plans it fell to the ground (not the 1st time either) and it's good to go. Battery life (albeit low at the time that it came out) is basically still the same. It's a fucking well built device. I would love to buy a new one, but it's too much now.

Nintendo, never owned anything, i was a Sega fanboy and owned a Game Gear, that made me unbearable as shit when discussing consoles with my friends that had Gameboys. "What the fuck is that shit? It's black and white, that's awful" etc. etc. Must say that when the new switch comes out i'm seriously contemplating buying one.

zcaa0g

Banned
I hate Nintendo. They charge full price for games that cost 5 bucks to develop due to extremely low production values including no voice acting or shitty voice acting or beep boop noises in place of an actual voice and have low poly models and worlds with blurry ass textures because it is underpowered hot garbage.

And they recycle the same shIt over and over with no new brands and don't even get me started on not having analog triggers on their controllers.

ACESHIGH

Banned
I love at the comments about hating microsoft because is a big monopolistic company. Straight out of the late 90s.

And I love that the counterpoint to that is going with mom & pop stores Sony or Nintendo. Go over the shady shit happy family oriented Nintendo did to rule the console market with an iron fist in the 80s.

Or how Sony used piracy as a troyan horse to set foot in the market and run out the competition and build it's "global appeal"

Last edited:

Renozokii

I love at the comments about hating microsoft because is a big monopolistic company. Straight out of the late 90s.

And I love that the counterpoint to that is going with mom & pop stores Sony or Nintendo. Go over the shady shit happy family oriented Nintendo did to rule the console market with an iron fist in the 80s.

Or how Sony used piracy as a troyan horse to set foot in the market and run out the competition and build it's "global appeal"
So Sony and Nintendo doing some shady shit that can borderline be considered flat out smart compares to Microsoft being a 2 trillion dollar company that got that way through a literal government declared monopoly and has used nothing but sheer money to continue staying in the game.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Not a fan of Microsoft, they were the enemy most of my professional career, killing off companies left and right with their anti-competitive business practices. It's why Gates is such a big philanthropist nowadays. Trying the hedge his bets on the off chance Hell exists.

Didn't stop me from buying an xbox or a 360.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
So Sony and Nintendo doing some shady shit that can borderline be considered flat out smart compares to Microsoft being a 2 trillion dollar company that got that way through a literal government declared monopoly and has used nothing but sheer money to continue staying in the game.

Some shady shit. Sony dumped it's way in the console business with piracy and almost ran SEGA and Nintendo out of business. All those old milennials that are Sony fans from Latin America, mainland europe and middle east how do you think they got to be so attached to the brand in the ps1 and ps2 days?

Why all those great AA game studios died in the seventh gen?If their games were so popular on the ps1 and ps2 days. Because they didn't sell that much, everyone knew them, everyone played them... on pirated consoles.

I never understood the narrative of MS being bad because they have money to buy studios. M&A is a common practice with companies of that size. Fanboys on these forums believe Sony gets poor kids out of the street, feeds them and teaches them how to to code. More of a grassroots approach right?

I just really don't like the xbox. The controllers look like a cheap fisher price happy meal toy. And it looks like it was designed for insane westerners. It seems to be popular with certain demographics and I cannot understand why besides comparing xbox owners to fbi crime statistics.

Master chief is a neutral non offensive mascot that anyone can self insert themselves into because he has a window for a face. He looks like how the vomit filled plastic tubes at chuck e cheese must smell. It's like if you took a handful of cringey balding atheist techbros who reeked of feet and cheese and asked them to make that thing japanese people do and have it be inspired by hidden gems like metroid they would turn out the soulless husk that is the xbox.

It's like when you really don't care about your hedonistic lifestyle and you're spiritually dead and you feel like making a bad decision you own an xbox. Xbox honestly sounds like something you'd find in an eastern european country in their one super market next to a polystation and a backpack with sonichu on it made of lead for chernobyl picnics than something anyone should have hooked up to their television.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I hated Sony for a split second. But only because they were super arrogant. And I was more fond of Sega and Nintendo, and I still am.

However, I owned all non-portable PlayStations, and they were/are amazing systems.

Zeroing

Banned
Some shady shit. Sony dumped it's way in the console business with piracy and almost ran SEGA and Nintendo out of business. All those old milennials that are Sony fans from Latin America, mainland europe and middle east how do you think they got to be so attached to the brand in the ps1 and ps2 days?

Why all those great AA game studios died in the seventh gen?If their games were so popular on the ps1 and ps2 days. Because they didn't sell that much, everyone knew them, everyone played them... on pirated consoles.

I never understood the narrative of MS being bad because they have money to buy studios. M&A is a common practice with companies of that size. Fanboys on these forums believe Sony gets poor kids out of the street, feeds them and teaches them how to to code. More of a grassroots approach right?
Wow holy Batman!!! I have no idea what you are smoking but take a pause from that!
So you think the only online anti consumer thing, the paying YouTubers to advertising the Xbox one, buying a big 3rd party developer making it first party, among other things are not valid reason to be at little suspicious of MS?

between the big 3, Nintendo and Sony never tried that much audacious moves!

Last edited:
I guess people will hate something for just about anything. I enjoy video-games as a whole and don't have time to hate. It's supposed to be fun. The companies want our money and if you make a good product you can have some of mine. Have fun guys.

Hoddi

I don't dislike any manufacturer but I absolutely abhor their fanboys. I've always been a big fan of AMD hardware but their idiotic sycophants have pretty much ruined it for me now.

I'll still happily buy any console with AMD hardware. But it's gonna be a while before I buy another AMD GPU for my PC because I simply can't trust what people write on the Internet.

Animagic

Banned
I really dislike Sega and their consoles. For the most part, I only really enjoyed their arcade games.
I don’t understand their fanbases, or the games they publish, or why people keep buying them.

I don’t hate all of their consoles, I really liked the Saturn.

ethomaz

Banned
I don’t like how the Xbox community act thought lies and that get worst because the executives manage the community with more lies... the feeling is that Xbox is the Xbox worst enemy... it is already four generations and nothing changed.

I’m fine with Nintendo... they had great consoles and games but Switch is just not for me... I have a Vita and I know it was not for me too.

And Sony just delivery the goods.

Last edited:

What's your point about Sony and piracy ? It was also rampant on the og Xbox and 360 and the dreamcast also PS1/PS2 it was everywhere !! And pc is probably the worst platform for it .

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Totally.

Sony's biggest games and studios mostly come from acquisitions.

- Psygnosis (which transformed into Sony Liverpool I think)
- ND
- Guerilla
- Sucker Punch
- Media Molecule
- Insomniac
-There were others ones too, which they already closed down (including Japan Studios)
- Sony even bought into Gaikai and ONLive assets for their streaming tech, which no doubt laid the foundation for streaming PS Now and Remote Play. So even for infrastructure, they spent instead of building themselves

Their only remaining big games which are from grassroots studios are God of War and Gran Turismo. Even their baseball game is now multiplat.

Zeroing

Banned
Totally.

Sony's biggest games and studios mostly come from acquisitions.

- Psygnosis (which transformed into Sony Liverpool I think)
- ND
- Guerilla
- Sucker Punch
- Media Molecule
- Insomniac
-There were others ones too, which they already closed down (including Japan Studios)
- Sony even bought into Gaikai and ONLive assets for their streaming tech, which no doubt laid the foundation for streaming PS Now and Remote Play. So even for infrastructure, they spent instead of building themselves

Their only remaining big games which are from grassroots studios are God of War and Gran Turismo. Even their baseball game is now multiplat.
Are you even trying to not be plain obvious ? what you are doing to is write nonsense in hopes that fanboys go along with it!

anyway!!!

so, from this thread we can all conclude we like gamers (when we aren’t playing video games ) we play the game of “I have opinions” and we like watching others having meltdowns? Yeah?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Are you even trying to not be plain obvious ? what you are doing to is write nonsense in hopes that fanboys go along with it!

anyway!!!

so, from this thread we can all conclude we like gamers (when we aren’t playing video games ) we play the game of “I have opinions” and we like watching others having meltdowns? Yeah?
No need to be combative.

ACESHIGH mentioned video game M&A, and I added to it. It's a common thing in business no matter which industry it is. If you think otherwise, you should read more business articles. Electronics and software industries have tons of M&A. So does energy sector.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Really shocked at people blaming the death of Sega hardware on Sony. I was a Sega kid all the way, but Sega leadership was it's own worst enemy. To be honest I don't think they've even put out more than 3 decent games since the Dreamcast era.

I will always be bitter about Microsoft successfully normalizing premium subscription services that are free on PC.

Markio128

I’m a simple soul who just goes wherever the games are without worrying about what the companies are up to internally. I currently own a Switch and a PS5 because that is where the best games (in my humble opinion) currently are. I have absolutely nothing against MS other than a niggling doubt about the validity of game pass and its effect on the future of the hobby that I love. Once I eventually buy the Series X (which I have no doubt I will), it will be to buy quality exclusives, and not to sub to game pass. I also wouldn’t sub to PS Now, though I see that service as less of a threat, for obvious reasons.

MS Xbox, they are extremely arrogant and they act as if they were somehow the leader of gaming consoles and it was owed to them that they would "win". To me their impact on gaming are mostly negative:
  • Paywall around online play
  • Incessant push for recurring fees gaming (GamePass)
  • Fake innovation
  • Overly aggressive fans
On the bright side I prefer the design of the SeriesX over the PS5 (as I preferred the look of the one S over the PS4) and while I doubted their choice for storage expansion at first, I must admit that at least they have something that does work. All these studios and IPs they got is likely to make them a good contender in a few years (hopefully they manage them well enough).

I had the OG xbox, I wanted it to work.

Aldric

I hate modern Sony because it represents everything I dislike about modern gaming. Overemphasis on trite storytelling and cheap emotional thrills, blurring the line between video games and more passive media like movies or Netflix series, uninteresting art directions with too much focus on photorealism, competent but shallow and derivative gameplay prioritizing spectacle over interactivity etc. The recent gutting of Japan Studio pretty much solidified my opinion Sony isn't for me anymore. I used to like them back in the PS2 days but that's long gone now.

DaGwaphics

It's silly to hate on a console or console manufacturer. This energy should be put to much better use, for example, hating the player base of a specific console.

SpartanN92

Banned
I don’t do Nintendo because every grown adult I’ve met who actively enjoys Nintendo products is a fat anime nerd that’s sleeps with a hentai body pillow named Kamiko-Chan.

Zannegan

I don’t do Nintendo because every grown adult I’ve met who actively enjoys Nintendo products is a fat anime nerd that’s sleeps with a hentai body pillow named Kamiko-Chan.
I don't like Sony Computer Entertainment because PlayStation Fanboys are the worst and dumbest Human Beings on this Planet!!! :)
If I let their "hardcore" communities negatively influence which games and companies I enjoy, I'd never be able to play anything on anything. They're all painful and pathetically lacking in self-awareness.

People who get too into things are generally awful to be around, unless you also happen to be too into that thing. That's probably why you get fanboys in opposite camps calling out the same mods/news outlets/forums/etc. biased in favor of the enemy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom