• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those of you who vehemently dislike a console or console manufacturer, why? (not looking for a fight, actually curious)

Umbasaborne

Banned
Im not posing this question to be combative, or even to challenge anyones views. Ive just been interested in the psychology behind console warring, or what makes someone say “i will never buy a game console or game from x manufacturer”. Wheather you dislike playstation, Nintendo, or xbox, what is the specific reason you feel that way, outside of spiting someone else on a forum?

for me, i play more xbox than playstation, but i own and use both. I have since the ps360 generation. Ive always leaned xbox because it was where most of my friends were and the controller, but i dont dislike playstation at all. I adore many of those exclusives and i think the ps5 is a great console. I do have my gripes with both companies right now. But nothing that pushes me over the edge into hatred territory.

I also think that some times its fun to get caught up in the wars, exxagerating your opinion or stance to insight reactions some times. After all arguing is a good way to release stress. So i wonder if that plays a role?

Microsoft has been shit ever since I was a kid. On top of that, they are working with my government to spy on us. On top of that they have billions of dollars worth of military contracts, developing weapons and shit. On top of that they basically own our legislators. There are so many reasons to avoid Microsoft it's not even funny.

I grew up in a world where I was forced to use an Microsoft OS on every single desktop computer. Fuck them if they think I'm going to give them more money to play videogames I can play pretty much anywhere.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Nintendo stuff since SNES. The last console where they strived for power and had tons of awesome first and third party games.

Since then, they bailed on power, high profile third party games, and anything to do with online/OS features which Xbox and PS gamers take for granted as modern day standards are worse on Nintendo systems than even the 360/PS3 days.

Sales and profits are still solid at Nintendo. But what a 180 in terms of power, performance and game variety. It's like they changed from being a BMW to selling Corollas.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I play all, I do have a slight distrust of Sony.. but when a new uncharted game comes out I get over that distrust and just buy one.
Yeah there is definitely something to just buying the system that has the games you want. And buying the other one if something comes along that you want for it. I think where some people get defensive is limited income means having to choose one over the other permanently, so their is a layer of defensiveness, or tribalism

VFXVeteran

Banned
I like the PS because of it's exclusives. It's not that they may be any better than any other game but the choice in genre is more to my liking and matches my tastes. I love medieval (in God of War), absolutely adore samurai based games (Ghosts) and I like adventure games (TLOU, Order 1866 and Uncharted).

The thing I hate about all consoles recently is their lack of GPU power. I will always cater to the most powerful piece of hardware out to play games because I just love playing a game at it's maximum capabilities which the director intended from the beginning (minus any technical shortcomings). That's why I mainly game on a PC.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Microsoft has been shit ever since I was a kid. On top of that, they are working with my government to spy on us. On top of that they have billions of dollars worth of military contracts, developing weapons and shit. On top of that they basically own our legislators. There are so many reasons to avoid Microsoft it's not even funny.

I grew up in a world where I was forced to use an Microsoft OS on every single desktop computer. Fuck them if they think I'm going to give them more money to play videogames I can play pretty much anywhere.
Hey i totally respect where you are coming from. They are a huge corporation that has made some less than savory decisions in the past. I totally get it. Do you use Linux on pc to get around windows these days?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

I hope you dont take to heart military contracts too much. You;d be surprised which companies now and in history sell their products and services to governments and armies around the world.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I'm grateful to MS for the 360 controller, but even then, I never bought a brand new one. I did spend $30 student pricing for a copy of Windows 7 when it came out, and got two copies of Halo 1 for PC, so I can't say I never contributed anything to their New World Order.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I like the PS because of it's exclusives. It's not that they may be any better than any other game but the choice in genre is more to my liking and matches my tastes. I love medieval (in God of War), absolutely adore samurai based games (Ghosts) and I like adventure games (TLOU, Order 1866 and Uncharted).

The thing I hate about all consoles recently is their lack of GPU power. I will always cater to the most powerful piece of hardware out to play games because I just love playing a game at it's maximum capabilities which the director intended from the beginning (minus any technical shortcomings). That's why I mainly game on a PC.
Yeah consoles are great because they provide an affordable means to get into games. Thats why exclusives are so important. Even if they cant lean on power when compared to a pc, brands like playstation can utilize nostalgia and the promise that you can only experience those games there (though thats changing as of late)

BlackTron

you should blame sega for their own demise.

At the time, I was 15 years old and really enjoying the Dreamcast. Nobody wanted to pay attention to all of its great games, holding out for PS2, which had an anemic launch lineup and I wasn't impressed that they didn't update the (in my opinion) terrible gamepad.

I saw Sega being displaced by a competitor with nothing to offer me at all and I was sour about it. Even worse, Nintendo was getting more lame by the minute. Bad time in gaming for me.

Wizz-Art

Sony not caring for my previously bought games, digital or physical on PS3 but than want me to sell new often mediocre remasters. Just a poor BC solution overall in comparison to Xbox. Shutting off servers for their first party games. Asking for PSN money but not investing to improve their infrastructure. Hell, even not owning their own infrastructure makes me not trust them at all when it comes to digitally bought stuff, nor should anybody else really. Continuing to be anti-consumer with raising prices of their games, shutting off storefronts for their legacy consoles. Asking a lot of money for controllers but not having the choice to use your already owned rechargeables so when the battery inevitably dies you would need to buy a new controller as a lot of people don't want to hassle with DIY solutions. Not having a great loyalty program in place.

Their new slogan:
8lCim9c.jpg

Management that's like this:

VbhT7ku.jpg

And a leader that is known for only this:

Last edited:

Hugare

I used to have a 360, but Microsoft became the worst of the Big 3 really fast during the start of last gen

They seemed completely lost about their goals and message.

My reasons:

* They are the ones who started charging for online gaming (will never forgive them)
* Tried to implement always online with the Xbox One (that they backtracked)
* Focus on TV and including a Kinect with every Xbox One (that they again backtracked)
* Lack of new IPs

But most of all, seems like a company with no appreciaton for games. Feels like they are just into it for the money, because its another lucrative market that they should be a part of (and dominate)

You won't see a game like The Last Guardian from Microsoft. Won't see something like Mario Galaxy or Odyssey.
I see no heart in MS productions.

But to be fair, I like their focus on BC and new studios/games such as Perfect Dark and Fable (tho I think that they will be GaaS)

GamePass is also a great deal, but yeah, I'm one of those that dont think that its proffitable on the long run. And it may kill AAA single player games as we know it.

That's an odd thing to say though. You have practically dozens upon dozens of PC Operating systems available. The reason your probably 'forced' to use the OS is its the only one available that has all of the apps available for your school, college, University and business needs.

Do you have a choice of OS on any Nintendo or Sony Product where you can still play your games. No. So why single out the PC platform?

At the time, I was 15 years old and really enjoying the Dreamcast. Nobody wanted to pay attention to all of its great games, holding out for PS2, which had an anemic launch lineup and I wasn't impressed that they didn't update the (in my opinion) terrible gamepad.

I saw Sega being displaced by a competitor with nothing to offer me at all and I was sour about it. Even worse, Nintendo was getting more lame by the minute. Bad time in gaming for me.
also Xbox came to town. Sega was really in trouble.

theHFIC

I remember as a kid I used to be all about Sega Genesis over Super Nintendo but I think that was the result of successful marketing to my 13 year old age group.

Nowadays I have zero interest in Microsoft console products because I am invested in the PlayStation and Nintendo ecosystems for consoles and I own a fairly decent PC for gaming as well. As a strong believer in physical media, I am not a fan of MS's Digital Only 2.0 strategy with all you can eat GamePass that will cast even more titles by the wayside in the long run (10-20 year long haul I am more interested in).

I dislike the Epic Store more because I dislike the fact that outside of Unreal Engine, Epic Games has only achieved this new level of success from weaponizing kids for selling skins and dumb dance move stuff along with their whole successful game being ripped off from one of their own engine licensees (PUBG). I also think the console concept of "exclusives" on PC through EGS (or any platform) destroys a lot of what makes PC gaming such a great platform.

But as for what people buy and use, I don't really care these are just my personal preferences.

I do think PC gamers should be kept out of Crossplay by default and should be opt in only on consoles.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Sony not caring for my previously bought games, digital or physical on PS3 but than want me to sell new often mediocre remasters. Just a poor BC solution overall in comparison to Xbox. Shutting off servers for their first party games. Asking for PSN money but not investing to improve their infrastructure. Hell, even not owning their own infrastructure makes me not trust them at all when it comes to digitally bought stuff, nor should anybody else really. Continuing to be anti-consumer with raising prices of their games, shutting off storefronts for their legacy consoles. Asking a lot of money for controllers but not having the choice to use your already owned rechargeables so when the battery inevitably dies you would need to buy a new controller as a lot of people don't want to hassle with DIY solutions. Not having a great loyalty program in place.

Their new slogan:
8lCim9c.jpg

Management that's like this:

VbhT7ku.jpg

And a leader that is known for only this:
Good points. I dont hate sony at all like i said. But i do have some gripes with them right now, same for microsoft

RaZoR No1

No hate here,
just dont have enough money and time for everything I want.
Of course there are somethings which are for a console (better controllers, already invested into the eco system and onlime friends), but other than that I am pretty open for any consoles of the big three

Fbh

I don't "vehemently" dislike them but I don't really like Nintendo.

Their hardware (except for a few exceptions) feels cheap, their accessories are low quality and expensive as fuck, they are always behind in some features (specially regarding online connectivity and features) and I don't like their policy of everything being $60 for several years (with rare discounts to like $40). Everything they do comes with a premium price but only very few of their things are actually worth it IMO.

I love some of the games that they make, which is why I have a Switch. But they seems to be releasing fewer and fewer stuff that I actually like. My Switch has mostly been gathering dust since like Xenoblade 2 and it seems like all the stuff I'm looking forward to (Breath of the Wild 2, Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4) will release in 2022 or later with better hardware available.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
I dislike Nintendo for their games price policy. I like their games, I like switch, but games are simply too expensive for my personal situation so I go with Sony and Microsoft. I can resell their games, buy them cheaper on sales or simply use their services like gamepass, psplus, psnow.

I wish there was a much bigger market for Nintendo in my country so I could resell games, it would be a viable option.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I used to have a 360, but Microsoft became the worst of the Big 3 really fast during the start of last gen

They seemed completely lost about their goals and message.

My reasons:

* They are the ones who started charging for online gaming (will never forgive them)
* Tried to implement always online with the Xbox One (that they backtracked)
* Focus on TV and including a Kinect with every Xbox One (that they again backtracked)
* Lack of new IPs

But most of all, seems like a company with no appreciaton for games. Feels like they are just into it for the money, because its another lucrative market that they should be a part of (and dominate)

You won't see a game like The Last Guardian from Microsoft. Won't see something like Mario Galaxy or Odyssey.
I see no heart in MS productions.

But to be fair, I like their focus on BC and new studios/games such as Perfect Dark and Fable (tho I think that they will be GaaS)

GamePass is also a great deal, but yeah, I'm one of those that dont think that its proffitable on the long run. And it may kill AAA single player games as we know it.
MS started charging. And Sony and Nintendo followed suit. You should rage at them too.

MS never added always online. So nothing to be angry about.

MS hasnt focused on TV and Kinect since the early Xbox One days. And even then, the key feature was you could watch TV and play games at the same time with adjustable sound sliders It worked well. You should be angry at Sony for focusing a lot on TV. PS Vue streaming cable service, Powers TV show, endless TV/movie deals with video games, bought out anime sub channels. They ae trying to be a cable provider.

During the PS3 days they even released a PS branded TV and also sold PS branded living room furniture at Pottery Barn or whatever store that was to go with the TV.

MS doesn't have a lack of IPs. They've released tons of games. You might not like them but they are there. Sony's focus now is sequels.

Probably wont see a game like TLG or Mario on Xbox. And with Japan studios shut down, you wont see them on PS either. lol. Layden PR'ed his way on stage about Sony being a system for unique games and "it wasn't the point if it sold a million copies". Then they gassed the studio that made those very types of games.

GP is great. Whether it's profitable or not, nobody knows. And who cares. If you want to be a corporation supporter adding millions more profit to their billions of profit go ahead. But the key benefit is great games at a deal price. And if you like paying full price then be a corporate supporter. The Show 21 is even coming out for it. Too bad Sony wants to milk the same PS baseball gamers for full price (this time $70 or more), while a competitor is adding an option for GP which many of us got for $1. lol

Last edited:
Microsoft. They're a fucking cancer in the industry.

1. Bought their way into the industry.
2. My original Xbox with the Thompson drive shit out on me.
3. My 360 died in FOUR MONTHS and they wanted me to pay 250 dollars to repair the 360. This was in 2006 when their warranty was only 90 days.
4. My Surface Laptop 3 developed a hairline crack. It just appeared as I was using it. Like developed in front of my very eyes. What the fuck? Then when I found out it was a known issue I contacted them for warranty support. They told me that this was covered by an extended warranty that lasts three years. Afterwards they then contacted me stating it would be 460 dollars to repair. Spoke to a manager then they told me it would be 650 dollars to repair. This thing is 15 months old. Surface laptops aren't exactly cheap.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I both love and hate PS5. I have one and I’m enjoying it. But I am also kind of morbidly curious to see it fail. Just to see all the arrogant Sony supremacists get taken down a peg and see all their hilarious meltdowns.

call it a consolation prize.

Because we live in a world where every choice you make has become tied your identity. Corporations, marketers and advertisers have conditioned people as consumers to attach some piece of them selves and their self worth into the choices they make so that the success of a brand is seen as a victory for the people who support the brand. If the competitor fails, that's also a victory. People want to be on the winning team. Coke vs Pepsi, McDonalds vs Burger King, IOS vs Android, Team X vs Team Y. The more a corporation can get you to be on and be invested in their "team" the less likely you are to change teams even in the face of an inferior product by your "team".

I don't "hate" any of them, but I don't "love" any of them either. They are giant corporations full of people who make games I enjoy or don't, hardware I deem adequate or not, and controllers I find comfortable or awful. Each of the big 3 as well as the major developers in the industry have strong points worth praising. They also each have some bad points. This isn't a religion, these are toys used to kill time while you're riding down the boring stretch on the highway of life.

I base my judgement of them on my own history with each. If I have good experiences with one I will continue to buy shit from them. If I constantly find myself disappointed by them I will mock them for it. I have enjoyed Nintendo's games for 35 years but I'll still shit on Nintendo for doing something I think is stupid. Right now I'm questioning how silent they are but at the same time I spend more time on my Switch than any console I've owned in the last decade. I enjoyed my time with the Xbox 360, but for me the Xbone lost it's purpose when I shifted over to PC, I do still prefer their controllers and I do use Gamepass but the XSX is a tough sell for me. I spent a ton of time with my PS1 and PS2 but both were horribly unreliable consoles, the controllers were always the worst and the PS3 was my least-played console I've ever owned so when the PS4 released I wasn't interested and with the PS5 it's more of the same.

Sony. Fuck em, they killed the Dream cast.
I loved the Dreamcast, it's still one of my favorite systems, but Sega killed the Dreamcast just like they killed the Saturn. Both machines were not properly equipped to stay competitive in the market due to the two-headed nature of Sega with the Japan and US divisions constantly screwing each other over.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Sony. Fuck em, they killed the Dream cast.
Haha thats as good a reason as any. Dreamcast was a great system, i played mine regularly until it stopped working. Its debatable which console went on to “replace” the dreamcast. I think gamecube and xbox split the difference in terms of feeling like a spiritual successor

FStubbs

MS : moneyhatting, poor studio and IP development/management.
Sony : poor infrastructure design, waning interest in enhancing the consumer QOL experience as devices age.
Nintendo : zero desire to diversify their portfolio and appeal to other demographics, painfully insular management.
Counterarguments:

MS - buying Obsidian, Bethesda, etc are bad but Sony buying Insomniac is good? Seems this gen Microsoft is actually trying to rectify their IP/studio issues
Sony - what poor infrastructure design? Also, Sony's put out 4 consoles and 3 of them blew out the competition, and the other one still came in 2nd. Seems whatever Sony's selling, people want.
Nintendo - Actually has the most diverse portfolio of the three platform holders and the most diverse demographics, unless by diversity you mean they lack big AAA games (which mostly appeal to the same demographic).

Top Bottom