• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those of you who like The Last of Us Part II, do you think that a remastered version would be worth a new purchase?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
No. I think the first remaster was for new customers, likely Xbox converts, to get familiar with another franchise they missed out on in the previous gen but with updated visuals and performance to entice them.

The Last of Us 2 did well and looks great on a PS4 Pro, and will look great on a PS5. I don't see a point in a remaster.

Last edited:
It’s the best looking and performing game to date, absolutely cutting edge. But with that being said they’ve got you on the hook again if you want to experience Factions.

With Factions included,

4t44gw.jpg

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Yes, Itll probably be the best looking next gen game. And easily the GOTY.

Will buy again day 1

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Remastered? Recompile it for Ps5 and run it at 60fps, done. It's not like the textures and models look "last gen".

Clover904

No. Im sure Naughty Dog will patch the game to run at 60fps on ps5, and maybe even look a bit sharper. No need for a remake/remaster.

But if youre looking for some next gen The Last of Us goodness, we have the multiplayer game to look forward to.

fuck Sony for killing psvr and for the idiotic idea of remasters of games that should just run at higher resolution and framerate automatically on the new PS5 chips of the same family and manufacturer as the previous PS4 chips

Clover904

fuck Sony for killing psvr and for the idiotic idea of remasters of games that should just run at higher resolution and framerate automatically on the new PS5 chips of the same family and manufacturer as the previous PS4 chips
How the heck did Sony kill psvr? We have Hitman 3 coming out this month with psvr mode included. And hopefully resident evil 8 will have psvr included as well. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

If it has 4K30 + RT mode, a 4K60 mode, and improved assets, all while also including the multiplayer, then sure. It can't just be a quick port. I want improvements.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Anything not available on pc or with a very old pc version that s In need of lots of patches

PC versions of 7th gen games look and play great plus they can be ran on a toaster. No need to remaster those.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
"Hey ONLY guys who like this terrible game, should I buy the terrible game if a remastered version of the terrible game comes out?"

Gee I wonder what the answer will be...

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
nah, it was a thoroughly enjoyable 30hr+ emotional slog, i fucking loved it the first time but feel absolutely no inclination to put myself through it again, like the movie the Road, i loved it, do i want to watch it again? nah... so its a pass from me

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
buy the PS4 version if: you haven't played it and don't have a PS5
buy the PS5 version if: you haven't played it and have a PS5

no reason to buy it twice. do we even know if there will be a PS5 version?

Last edited:
What could they do to improve the game in such a way that would justify selling it full price again. It's already one of the best looking games ever made. Maybe the best. There's really nothing they could use to market a re-release.

sainraja

Why are some of you guys so obsessed with throwing your whole salary to Sony?

Doesn't mind a 20 euro price increase on games, and gets offended if you get a free upgrade.

Seriously, what the fuck is this? I've never seen anyone complaining about not giving a company enough money.
Well, depends on how much time/effort is put in it. If they do a quick upgrade and ask for money then no. If they actually spend time re-working things in the game, then perhaps - it is up to people to decide for themselves if the work done justifies a payment. Why are you trying to force your opinion upon others? And don't be so deluded as to think that people will turn away a free remaster. That does not need to be stated.

I still it is crazy talk no matter how you put it. No game really deserves a double dip. I understand why people does it, to experience it a new hardware, but I still don't think any game deserves to be rebought because it is a remaster, let alone if the game came out one or two years on a previous gen to get rereleased on the next with that short time span.
Let alone a game that is as short at TLoU2.
....then you clearly haven't played it. The game isn't short. In fact, it is longer than it should be!

Last edited:

Orpheum

No. Wouldn't buy it again.

But i see why others would do so since i'd pay whatever they want from me for a Bloodborne PS5 version. I just didn't like Tlou 2 enough to warrant a second purchase just for 60fps

Hugare

I think they will sell it for $20 or something

Even better models, RT reflections and 60 fps mode. Wouldn't expect anything more.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
You've misunderstood me. I would prefer that it be free but I still think that a new purchase would be deserved if the game were improved to the same extent as the remaster of the original.

Gears 5 got a load of upgrades that made it more next gen that Sony could easily add to TLOU2 without charging anybody

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I think a definitive version of TLOU2 would be welcome and worth a purchase. 60 fps, better assets. Adding multiplayer. I'd be down for that.

While I enjoyed the game enough to complete it, I'm not sure it has the reply value that The Last of Us had for me. By the time I was done with II I was pretty burnt out by the whole thing. I've been thinking about the reasons why I feel that way and a big reason was the overall pacing of the game. A lot of it felt like a slog, and not always because of the actual gameplay either. I love these types of dark, bleak stories. Overall this game was great in how it portrayed humanity not as GOOD or EVIL, but a muddled gray when it came to morality.

The issue is that the length of the game worked against this nonstop droning bleakness. The first game had a lot of hope to it, there was a light at the end of the tunnel you seemed seemed be working towards. Real or imagined. II just never let up on how dark and bleak everything was, which at face value was a pretty brave (for lack of a better word) direction to go in. But after dozens of hours I started to get burnt out on the whole thing. I dunno, I'm rambling.

tl;dr nah I probably won't play through this again, remaster or not

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
All we need is a 60fps BC patch like GoW and GoT. The IQ is great and I don't want to take up SSD or buy anything.

EDMIX

As we all know, The Last of Us Remastered provides a significantly better experience relative to the original version of the game.

Whereas it runs in 1080p and 60 frames per second or in 4K at 30 frames per second and features higher-quality graphics and HDR, the original version runs at 720p with a targeted frame rate of 30 frames per second, is graphically less impressive, and runs in SDR.

Hence, the remaster is significantly better and - in my opinion - deserves to be purchased separately rather than be provided as a free upgrade to those who purchased the original.

Therefore, if Naughty Dog were to provide a similarly better remastering of Part II relative to the current version of Part II, I think that it will definitely require a separate purchase and deservedly so.

I imagine that such a remastering will either run in 1800p at 60 frames per second or 4K 30 frames per second, will feature better graphics that are closer or identical to the quality shown at the E3 presentation of 2018, and will come with the rumored multiplayer mode (which would have to be purchased separately for those who don't purchase the remaster).

As you can see in the video below, the retail version of the game has inferior graphics in some regards to what was shown at E3 of 2018. So, a remastering could definitely provide an increase in visual quality apart from resolution.

What do you guys think? Do you think that such a remaster should be a free upgrade or that a separate purchase would be justified (though obviously not preferred)? Also, would you buy it and when do you think it would be released?

Not sure, shit I loooooove The Last Of Us 2, putting it in 4k 60fps, ray tracing etc will look amazing, but the game already looks really good right now. So I feel you are getting as slight bump. Worth it if someone never played it though, but you'll also be fine just playing it on PS5 thru BC.

I think it would take a great deal of remastering to really make a night and day different tbh.

Business

I just want the MP, I'm not playing the campaign again. Now if they bundle it together I'll have to reluctantly get the SP again.

Bankai

I think a free upgrade would be in order.

After all, I supported the game and stuck by it. Even when all the trolls came to town, I defended the fort. I was a warrior.

zbHUECb.gif

farmerboy

I'd consider full price if it was a proper remaster, as part of a package with Factions multi. And throw in an alternative ending dlc or something.

mortal

Gold Member
Probably not at full MSRP, no.

If we're talking a proper remaster:
  • 4k/60fps
  • Improved textures & shader detail
  • Optimized for SSD loading
  • Haptic feedback support
  • Remastered 3D audio
  • RT lighting/reflections
  • Additional content or multiplayer included

Last edited:

EDMIX

Probably not at full MSRP, no.

If we're talking a proper remaster:
  • 4k/60fps
  • Improved textures & shader detail
  • Optimized for SSD loading
  • Haptic feedback support
  • Remastered 3D audio
  • RT lighting/reflections
  • Additional content or multiplayer included

This. imho that is the safest assumption for some remaster. I mean....we all know that remaster is coming lol. I love the game, but I don't know if I'd buy a remaster (then again...I say that every time and years later I'm ready for that double dip)

EDMIX

why not. they did it for god of war. they did it for ghost of tsushima, etc.

This game does not need a remaster. It just needs 4k60fps patch.

Well.....maybe. I don't disagree that they patched those, but in the past Sony also clearly put out The Last Of Us 1 remaster.

They also charged for Spiderman remaster, as in..... you'll get a performance difference with your original copy, you won't get the remaster for free.

So I don't doubt a free patch will come.

Will it be raytracing, different models, features etc patch for free? Unlikely.

Top Bottom