• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For the first time ever, I am actually considering buying an Xbox over Playstation 5

Dogman

Pretty much all of your points are paper thin

1. Yes its big, but I can't imagine this being a dealbreaker unless you were already on the fence, so not sure why you put it here.
2. Don't know why this is really that much of an issue to you, but i dont play JRPGs so what do i know...
3. They arent really pushing an agenda. If having gay people in a video game is pushing an agenda idk what to tell you
4. Nobody knows the ingame difference, and the on paper spec sheets already show a near negligible difference. If anything, with faster loading and more controller and audio features on PS5, it could actually be the better place to play multiplats
5. Miles Morales and Horizon 2 both have free next gen upgrades, so not sure where you're getting the idea that they dont allow free upgrades. The spiderman thing is due to it being a complete remaster, which of course they charge for like every other remaster in the last gen
6. PSNow has more games than Game Pass and it already has streaming built in (like xbox xCloud). This is literally a nobrainer for your use case.

I never agreed with the sentiment that MS has no first party games. Frist off, it is a blatant lie. Second, their first party games are actually games. You can play Halo for thousands of hours and there is depth to the mechanics. Same for Forza, same for Gears. Sea of Thieves, thousands of hours of gameplay. State of Decay - complex zombie game that is almost a simulator in its detail. Sony has nothing really comparable to these games, it is all flash over substance there with the exception of Demon's Souls/Bloodborne.
This so much. They really don't get enough respect. Outside of Bloodborne nothing really hooked me on the PS4 where I felt I wanted to play again. It's really spectacle over gameplay. I appreciate a good story but why can't Sony pump out something with meat on its bones. Once you get past the graphics and stories, it's paper thin light rpg elements or sometimes nothing at all but scripted interactions. When I jumped from 360 to ps4 last gen I was under the impression that sony would have a wide variety of first party titles. Yet almost everything was a third person action game with nothing to dig into.

EDMIX

It's a bit stupid but I legit sold my PS4 over all the intrusive BLM advertisements when I just wanted to game.

Sir, by that logic you should stop gaming in general, wasn't a lot of that also by 3rd party publishers?

Sounds like a huge overreaction imho.

Dogman

I'm right with you. Thinking about cancelling my PS5 pre-order as I was going to get both. I just hate the direction Jim Ryan is taking Playstation in. Now, there's no doubt about it that the studio's come out with some really nice games and exclusives at that. However, I think Xbox has a solid future no matter how much FUD we see or hear. It's going to be good.

It's a bit stupid but I legit sold my PS4 over all the intrusive BLM advertisements when I just wanted to game.
Seeing companies express their support for marginalized groups in a divided country got so in the way of your precious gaming that you sold the entire console? Talk about not only entitled, but also stupid because now you can do even LESS gaming without the console

Last edited:

EDMIX

"It looks like they are only doing Halo, Gears, Forza, aka sticking to their guns". Excuse you but what? Even before the Bethesda purchase, this narrative did!n't make sense. However, after the Bethesda purchase? It would be insane to suggest that.

Agreed. I see no evidence that next gen they are looking to do that combo to death. Their biggest mistake this gen if anything was not buying enough teams LAST GEN to even prepare for what Sony was doing. Their playbook was wide open, it was not a mystery why folks were more hype for PS4 based on what Sony put out on PS3 with loads of new IP.

Yet for what ever weird reason, MS saw this as a time to do this Gears, Halo combo over and over and I don't really believe they have the install base like a Mario, Zelda etc to do that every gen as much as they do. The Bethesda purchase was the right call and they easily would have moved waaaaay more units this generation if that was what they did ending of last gen and continued to mix it up with new IP.

If you didn't sell someone on Gears and Halo last gen, you won't next gen. Move on. No different then those who don't like Jak and Daxter or Ratchet or Killzone or Sly cooper etc. Putting out Uncharted or The Last Of Us or Resistance Fall Of Man, or Spiderman or Horizon or Days Gone etc continues to gain new consumers that otherwise may have not liked those past IP. I 100% would have bought more MS published titles if they simply supported more AAA new IP this gen like Sony has for basically all generations. Its almost as if they fear anything new, for god sakes even Bungie couldn't convince them to do a new AAA IP, they had to leave to even get that done. So I don't like Halo anymore, I don't like Gears, but I can't hate a new IP that I've never played, its the best bet to get my money as lets just say MS was the one that put out The Last Of Us....

I'd own that bitch DAY 1 no different then if any other publisher put it out. New IP change minds, they break notions that a publisher only does XYZ type games and bring in new consumers.

I don't get anything from MS that they are seeking to continue that whole Gears and Halo thing as I think its time to give those IPs some rest and focus on new concepts to get new consumers. The studios they bought and even Avow 100% shows they are seeking this approach as that is what they should have been doing day 1, we can excuse the 360 generation, but not the XONE. We all knew Sony was going to bring out tons of new IP, yet it seems MS was lost to this concept. If they put out Avow, I would have been their day 1, I bought Pillars Of Eternity DAY 1!!! So me buying Avow day 1 very much shows that MS is finally doing the correct thing in terms of how they put titles out as they can't keep resting on the same fucking IP over and over and over. They are not Nintendo. They are the only ones that really can do such a thing.

supernova8

Banned
Both console launches are shaping up to be shit with no games.... but Xbox studios hasn't really even shown me anything coming in the pipeline that I like the look of aside from maybe Forza and that was just a very quick (almost pointless) teaser. Fable had a CGI nonsense title reveal. Avowed looked as bullshotty as Killzone 2 back in the day.

I have two choices:
I can enjoy lots of games right now for almost free with Xbox and Game Pass, even if they're not the games I really wanted to play.
I can buy a PS5 and have very little to play until mid/late 2021, but from thereon I can likely play the games I really want to play.

Part of me is thinking about getting an XSS in the short term and just buying Game Pass Ultimate for a while. If I'm not actually buying games outright, I won't feel any negatives from buying a digital only device. Then maybe late 2021 early 2022 will pick up a PS5.

All kinda up in the air right now. I went from 'definitely getting PS5' to 'not sure if I want either' to "maybe I can go with XSS for the short term".

Feels like Microsoft is capitalizing on the fact that neither side has a massive library of next-gen games coming soon.

pasterpl

I always buy Sony consoles mid gen, where there is a library of exclusives (more then 1-2 games that I want to play), Xbox series x is day one for me as I have a big library of games going from og xbox to Xbox one, lots that want to replay and others that I have never played before. Some games I simply saving for xbsex due to performance issues on xbonex. Gamepass is insane value and now on xbsex launch day it will include ea play as well. I have also got a gaming pc but intend to use it for vr and games that are simply not available on consoles.

I will stick with my ps4 pro for now as I have got a quite a backlog of games, and with Sony not showing any solid info on bc I don’t see a reason to buy ps5 day one (sorry, ds is not my type of game and remake of 11 year game Is not something that excites me, I didn’t like first Spider-Man game so MM is not system seller for me either). There is no reason to buy ps5 day one for 2 games (Those 2 games might cost you almost $CAD200 (!).

Dogman

Both console launches are shaping up to be shit with no games.... but Xbox studios hasn't really even shown me anything coming in the pipeline that I like the look of aside from maybe Forza and that was just a very quick (almost pointless) teaser. Fable had a CGI nonsense title reveal. Avowed looked as bullshotty as Killzone 2 back in the day.

I have two choices:
I can enjoy lots of games right now for almost free with Xbox and Game Pass, even if they're not the games I really wanted to play.
I can buy a PS5 and have very little to play until mid/late 2021, but from thereon I can likely play the games I really want to play.

Part of me is thinking about getting an XSS in the short term and just buying Game Pass Ultimate for a while. If I'm not actually buying games outright, I won't feel any negatives from buying a digital only device. Then maybe late 2021 early 2022 will pick up a PS5.

All kinda up in the air right now. I went from 'definitely getting PS5' to 'not sure if I want either' to "maybe I can go with XSS for the short term".

Feels like Microsoft is capitalizing on the fact that neither side has a massive library of next-gen games coming soon.
How will you have nothing to play on PS5? PSNow has more games than Game Pass, not to mention all the launch exclusives and PS+ collection with 18 of this gens best games for basically free.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
I'll be waiting deep into 2021 before I make a console purchase and the only reason I'd consider a PS5 is for the 3 (or 4 if lucky) exclusives you can't get anywhere else. There's so much assumption and so little real details about anything Bethesda has planned. If either console had secured the Harry Potter game away from PC it's a guarantee that's when I'd be buying a console but that'll be a PC game.

The only thing standing from the PC being the best choice is those 3 (or 4 if lucky) exclusives on Playstation.

Basically this ⬇ Sony has this, Microsoft has jank halo and bullshit Bethesda promises that have no guarantee of being exclusive.
persona-5-review_htue.1200.jpg

TeKtheSanE

I'll be waiting deep into 2021 before I make a console purchase and the only reason I'd consider a PS5 is for the 3 (or 4 if lucky) exclusives you can't get anywhere else. There's so much assumption and so little real details about anything Bethesda has planned. If either console had secured the Harry Potter game away from PC it's a guarantee that's when I'd be buying a console but that'll be a PC game.

The only thing standing from the PC being the best choice is those 3 (or 4 if lucky) exclusives on Playstation.

Basically this ⬇ Sony has this, Microsoft has jank halo and bullshit Bethesda promises that have no guarantee of being exclusive.
persona-5-review_htue.1200.jpg
I am ecstatic about that Hogwarts Legacy game, so glad it didn't get an exclusive lock so everyone that wants to play it can. I really hope it's good!

EDMIX

I love how number 2 is complaining that Sony doesn't let developers do what they want, then number 3 is complaining that Sony let's developers do what they want.

Did you really manage to type those back to back without noticing the blatant hypocrisy?

Thats one of the first things I noticed. I'll never have an issue with the creative freedom that Sony gives their development teams.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

I love how number 2 is complaining that Sony doesn't let developers do what they want, then number 3 is complaining that Sony let's developers do what they want.

Did you really manage to type those back to back without noticing the blatant hypocrisy?
Not really . One is about censoring games and the other about pushing an agenda . How are they the same thing ? Learn how to read.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I understand your decision, but I still haven’t seen how the XSX is more powerful than the PS5. It will probably be a microscopic power difference visually I feel like the One X and the PS4 Pro.
Wait you think there are "microscopic power difference visually" between the One X and PS4 Pro? I guess you don't have a 4K TV and/or haven't actually seen any comparisons.

How haven't you seen how the XSX is more powerful than the PS5? The specs are out for both. The XSX has a stronger GPU, more RAM bandwidth, more hardware for ray tracing, etc etc. The PS5 has a faster SSD and some people claim it has "significantly faster I/O" everywhere else based on nothing other than the fact that Sony say they made modifications. Sony also said their Geometry Engine was incredible though, and it turns out MS has the same one cause it's just an AMD thing lol. Same with Tempest - it's just 3D audio like the XB1 even has.

EDMIX

How are they the same thing ? Learn how to read.

? In terms of just reading, Nerd Strangler doesn't state they are the same, doesn't suggest they are the same, in fact they are funny enough commenting on that they are contradicting each other. ie one is censorship, one is creative freedom.... Its to question how one can get angry at both when they are opposing views. How you got that they are saying its the same is beyond me.

Sounds to me like if someone doesn't want censorship and wants creative freedom, they'd also respect that is exactly the freedom Sony's developers even have to even make something like The Last Of Us exactly how the team wants it to be, controversy and all.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Well, i guess its a start. At some point reality will become too...well real...to ignore. Sony fans being apologetic for considering an xbox and reassuring the masses that after all they complain about that somehow PS5 is a must yet Xbox isn't boggles my mind to the nth degree.

People shouldnt be made to feel beholden to anybody on here. Your opinion is your opinion be proud of it. Enjoy both your systems and your games.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I have two choices:
But sony have what games announced for late 2021? A tentative release year for God of War 2 and Horizon?

You're basically just saying "i like sony franchises more than xbox franchises" in lots more words. Don't dance around it, just say it.

I don't like the overwhelming majority of Sony's first party games, and I'm not going to pretend that I'm on the fence about them to try and project that I'm unbiased. I just flat out don't like the type of game that they make - linear cinematic single player games. I like racers, so Xbox wins. I like online MP games, so xbox wins. I like shooters, so xbox wins.

Last edited:

Neo_game

You are wrong.
The power Gap between PS4 and OG XB1 is 500 Giga Flops.
The Power Gap between XSX and PS5 is 1.8 Tera Flops if PS5 sustains its clocks which we already know it won't so it's more than likely a 2+ Tera Flop difference. That is all without taking into consideration the myriad of RDNA2 Architectural improvements over GCN.

lol are you serious ?That is not how it works.

Lets take a simple example. a =1 and b =0.5 the difference is only 0.5 but a is 2x more than b or 200% more. Now if a = 10 and b = 8. The difference is 2 which is obviously more than 0.5 but a is only 1.25x more than b or 125% more. The difference between next gen console is even less than half of what it is compared to current gen.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
But sony have what games announced for late 2021? A tentative release year for God of War 2 and Horizon?

You're basically just saying "i like sony franchises more than xbox franchises" in lots more words. Don't dance around it, just say it.

I don't like the overwhelming majority of Sony's first party games, and I'm not going to pretend that I'm on the fence about them to try and project that I'm unbiased. I just flat out don't like the type of game that they make - linear cinematic single player games. I like racers, so Xbox wins. I like online MP games, so xbox wins. I like shooters, so xbox wins.

I didn't dance around it, I made it pretty obvious to the point you were able to point it out.

I do prefer prefer Sony franchises and yet I'm still considering buying an Xbox Series S (no that isn't just an empty statement, I'm genuinely considering it), and I even made an entire thread shitting on Sony. Surely that's more unbiased than you - someone who goes around Xbox threads with a stick hitting everyone who dares to say anything negative.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
How will you have nothing to play on PS5? PSNow has more games than Game Pass, not to mention all the launch exclusives and PS+ collection with 18 of this gens best games for basically free.

True I haven't really looked into PSNow (simply not interested). Is there an all-in price for it? Cannot seem to find one. Does the combination of PS Plus and PS Now cost more than Game Pass?

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Buy the console you want. But i’m sure the PS5 media blowout will change some minds again. Gamepass is a great deal for people, but still most new third party games won’t release on it, and people do forget that.

You still need to purchase those games after all. Personally, since you already have a gaming pc...i reallysee no reason why you would buy the XSX right now? PC/PS5 is a better value for me and i think you should go for that right now. Also your arguments are a bit nonsense, so i do not agree with the rest of your post.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
True I haven't really looked into PSNow (simply not interested). Is there an all-in price for it? Cannot seem to find one. Does the combination of PS Plus and PS Now cost more than Game Pass?

gamepass ultimate currently costs the same price as gold (with the $1 conversion promo). I got 3 years of gamepass ultimate for $120.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a huge fan the whole PS3 gen, and was so happy for the PS4 to arrive.
They somehow lost me during this gen, though.

And with MS buying some of my favourite studios (Inxile, Obsidian and Double Fine), I quite like the new direction they are taking their games output.

Plus, hardware wise they seemed to have done a good job with the Series X and S. While the PS5 looks like a weird monstrosity that can be barely cooled.

We will see...

Alan Wake

So a lot of people went from PS2 to Xbox 360 and then to PS4. I expect most PS4 owners to upgrade to PS5 but it'll be interesting to see how many will go with Xbox this time. The proposition Microsoft is making with Game Pass Ultimate as well as cloud gaming can convince a lot of people to make the jump.

For me it's more about which one I'll get first since I will buy both eventually. It'll be all about the games in 2021.

JimiNutz

Banned
At the start of this generation the consumers that are going to get best value are those that switch from one platform to the other.

If you were primarily a PS gamer and you switch to Xbox you're going to have access to loads of MS games that you didn't play last gen via Game Pass, many of which are going to be running at a better frame rate and resolution.

If you were primarily a Xbox gamer and switch to PlayStation you can access a load of free exclusive games via PS+ Collection.

It's the loyal consumers that don't really get anything/much.

Leopold

As someone who had an X360 and an Xbox One, I won't be getting the new Xbox. In 2018 I got a PS4 and I believe that during the last two years, I have played it more than I played the Xbone that I bought back in 2013. I might eventually get a Series S just no to let my previous games locked in the Xbone, but I got a pre-ordered PS5 and I don't see myself coming back.

I'm in the same boat. I pre-ordered 2 PS5s but I'm thinking in cancelling them. I think Sony's recent decisions are just too anticonsumer. Has microsoft confirmed if xbox games are going to be $70? That's what's making me change to xbox. Cant believe sony is pulling this crap, $70 dollar games? Pay to upgrade?? Weaker hardware?

It goes without saying that I wouldn't be considering changing to xbox at all if they hadn't bought zenimax, that's a game changer for a lot of people

Flintty

Good for you OP, gotta play what makes sense for you.

And having both a PC and an Xbox isn’t some crazy mind melting paradox like a lot of GAF will have you believe - it’s actually pretty fucking useful!

Bankai

I don't blame you! XBOX has a great offer with Gamepass (read: Bethesda..) & the powerful Xbox Series X.

Though, I'm too invested in the Playstation ecosystem to opt out, but I'll definitely get a Series X over time as a second console.

TBiddy

It's funny. I'm in the other boat, since the PS5 Digital is such a good deal. I skipped the PS4, so for me there are tons of games ready and waiting. Microsoft still has something to prove in that department, and I'm not buying the XSX until they do.

Redlancet

Banned
This is coming from someone who has an amazing PC build with a 2080ti Card too.

One might think you already have an Xbox in your PC anyway since all games will be on both systems day one.

But I am just finding the Xbox is making more sense to me to be under the 60 inch TV since my gaming setup is not close to the living room.

Without Bethesda, I would never actually thought of the Xbox due to its lack of first-party games. The PS5 made more sense ( and still logically makes more sense )

But few things are actually getting off-putting to me with the PlayStation 5 I am really not sure anymore if I should be buying the Playstation day 1 at least ( mind you I have 2 PS5 and 2 XSX preorders just in case one got canned )

1- PS5 Design. like wtf its really huge and ugly. I need a new table just for this stupid thing.
2- Sony Censorship in Japanese games. I feel like I am going back to the ice age with this. like, might as well dress all the girls like nuns or hijab clothes and call it a day how is that? Not against any religion but don't censor my games the way the Devs wanted their vision in the game.
3- Naughty Dog pushing agenda in their games. Normally I do not like any of the sides. to me being in the middle is and always is the right thing to do. but they are pushing too extreme to one side its making me sick. and while I normally don't care, Sony is being silent on this is making me angry about it too.
4- by default its weaker system. God knows how much it will be weaker in terms of actual games is yet to be seen.
5- Sony stands against the upgrades to games you already own. You want me to buy an 80$ game to get updated graphics for a game I already own? how is that fair or even common sense when both Xbox and especially PC friggin free?
6- No game pass option. while this is a gray area for me and usually I do buy the games I want, There are many games I actually want to try and play but I can't justify paying 100$ Canadian to play them. this is where the game pass makes sense to me. Those games I will play now and then but I do not care to buy them.

There is also the fact Sony is also at one point are starting to release their games on PC. sure not all of them and not the same year or day one. but I feel like they are coming. I did not add this as a point because nothing is confirmed.

All these points makes me wonder if I really should grab a PS5 for the 2 or 3 exclusive games they release per year ( 4 if we are lucky )

I still think the PS5 is a must. but Fuck Sony needs to act right and fast.
point 3 makes you look so bad op

Hey //DEVIL// //DEVIL//

I switched mid gen from ps4 to one x, final push was the begining of the censorship a few years back that ended up with Catherine: Full Body getting censored, i made a post that if that happened i was done with Sony. So i saw a offer for the One X and i also found out it supported 4k blu rays so i just went for it.

Loved the PS3 a insane amount, bunch of quirky exclusives (the last guy, folklore, tokyo jungle) but that Sony is gone, its thorougly americanized in every aspect compared to the PS3 era, wich is fine if you like the exclusive they put out these days, im not denying that they are quality if you like that type of game, and its probably a much bigger market for those than the Japanses ones, but it sucks for as a fan of the PS3 Sony. Though i have to say Death Stranding would have been my game of the generation if it had a good story, gameplay was fan fucking tastic, but that is on pc also.

Over to pros and cons of my limited experience with xbox, gamepass is a big pro, especially if you are not into sonys big aaa titles, then you always have a bunch of options, think i only bought a few games this year, tony hawk and serious sam 4. BC support and enhancments is another major pro, went back and replayed oblivion, 4x resolution boost, was cool as hell.

Cons: No big first party hitters (yet) not that it matters to me, since i was never interested in most of xboxs exclusives.

All in all give it a try, you can always sell it and buy a ps5 if you are disapointed, i was at least happy with a change.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Do what you want to do OP , its so dumb to decide something on what people like or hate because at the end you are the one whos going to use that console and play that game .. so its up to you

Top Bottom