• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For the first time ever, I am actually considering buying an Xbox over Playstation 5

//DEVIL//

This is coming from someone who has an amazing PC build with a 2080ti Card too.

One might think you already have an Xbox in your PC anyway since all games will be on both systems day one.

But I am just finding the Xbox is making more sense to me to be under the 60 inch TV since my gaming setup is not close to the living room.

I am not saying I am not gonna buy a PS5 at the end. Because I know and I probably will buy it day 1 for their exclusives. it's just for someone who usually prefers 1 console under his TV. Xbox is really bringing up the heat to the point it's now actually can be considered the same level or even a better option than PS5.

Without Bethesda, I would never actually thought of the Xbox due to its lack of first-party games. The PS5 made more sense ( and still logically makes more sense )

But few things are actually getting off-putting to me with the PlayStation 5 I am really not sure anymore if I should be buying the Playstation day 1 at least ( mind you I have 2 PS5 and 2 XSX preorders just in case one got canned )

1- PS5 Design. like wtf, it's really huge and ugly. I need a new table just for this stupid thing.
2- Sony Censorship in Japanese games. I feel like I am going back to the ice age with this. Might as well dress all the girls like nuns or hijab clothes and call it a day how is that? Not against any religion but don't censor my games the way the Devs wanted their vision in the game.
3- Naughty Dog pushing agenda in their games. Normally I do not like any of the sides. to me being in the middle is and always is the right thing to do. but they are pushing too extreme to one side its making me sick. and while I normally don't care, Sony is being silent on this is making me angry about it too.
No, this does not conflict with point #2. Point 2 is just pure censorship. Point 3 is about the company actually pushing a political agenda movement especially when the first game didn't. Nothing against sexual preference. Just not ok with forcing agenda into this.
4- by default its weaker system. God knows how much it will be weaker in terms of actual games is yet to be seen.
5- Sony stands against the upgrades to games you already own. You want me to buy an 80$ game to get updated graphics for a game I already own? how is that fair or even common sense when both Xbox and especially PC friggin free?
6- No game pass option. while this is a gray area for me and usually I do buy the games I want, There are many games I actually want to try and play but I can't justify paying 100$ Canadian to play them. this is where the game pass makes sense to me. Those games I will play now and then but I do not care to buy them.

There is also the fact Sony is also at one point are starting to release their games on PC. sure not all of them and not the same year or day one. but I feel like they are coming. I did not add this as a point because nothing is confirmed.

All these points make me wonder if I really should grab a PS5 for the 2 or 3 exclusive games they release per year ( 4 if we are lucky )

I still think the PS5 is a must. but Fuck Sony needs to act right and fast.

Last edited:

WakeTheWolf

I'm right with you. Thinking about cancelling my PS5 pre-order as I was going to get both. I just hate the direction Jim Ryan is taking Playstation in. Now, there's no doubt about it that the studio's come out with some really nice games and exclusives at that. However, I think Xbox has a solid future no matter how much FUD we see or hear. It's going to be good.

It's a bit stupid but I legit sold my PS4 over all the intrusive BLM advertisements when I just wanted to game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I agree with everything you said. I purchased an Xbox 360 over PlayStation 3 to be my primary gaming console 15 years ago. If it wasn't for Naughty Dog (and Dead Nation from Housemarque), I wouldn't have had any games for PS3 at all.

I already pre-ordered Xbox Series X and will have it as my primary gaming console over PlayStation 5 which I will still buy in the Spring when Ratchet releases as their first party titles are excellent but overall, it's lacking for me personally.

Dthomp

Whatever makes you feel good man, but let's remember how many times being the most powerful has ended with that console having the best gens thus far. It's a great thing to yell about, but never actually matters.

I will add, I'm worried about alot of these things too but outside of a major misstep at launch Sony is still set to offer the best system this gen, next gen? That's the debate here. Too many first party titles you won't see elsewhere are in the pipeline right now.

Arkam

I'm right with you. Thinking about cancelling my PS5 pre-order as I was going to get both. I just hate the direction Jim Ryan is taking Playstation in. Now, there's no doubt about it that the studio's come out with some really nice games and exclusives at that. However, I think Xbox has a solid future no matter how much FUD we see or hear. It's going to be good.

That would be the dumbest move. EVEN if you didnt want you could sell it to countless personal friends who will want. And if you have the gall, tax them $70 so you can buy a game.

Ellery

Good for you. You have to do what you think is right, but then you have to go all the way and not vent -> cave.

I basically disagree with every single point you are making (or have a different angle / doesn't bother me), but your own priorities are the most important ones in that matter.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I went from PC to team Green and now back to pc. I've been thinking about getting an xbox down the line because there's some console games that don't hit pc, but otherwise there's no real reason to have a combo imo.

sandkiller

It's a bit stupid but I legit sold my PS4 over all the intrusive BLM advertisements when I just wanted to game.

What? How? Where?

WakeTheWolf

That would be the dumbest move. EVEN if you didnt want you could sell it to countless personal friends who will want. And if you have the gall, tax them $70 so you can buy a game.

Would need countless friends to do that lol. But it's alright man I'll give it to someone who needs it if I decide to not buy. Eyes are on Sony atm I hope they redeem themselves.

White-fire

If you really are going to switch because of the smallest power gap in modern console history, a console you'll only look at a few times, censorship of niche games, and one game charging for a remaster, then go bro, I don't think Sony could ever walk a tightrope that small to earn your purchase, or care to even keep it. Also, Microsoft is just as or more "woke" than Sony is. In five years you'll wonder why you failed to see such a major media cultural shift being larger than one gaming studio.

Last edited:
I never agreed with the sentiment that MS has no first party games. Frist off, it is a blatant lie. Second, their first party games are actually games. You can play Halo for thousands of hours and there is depth to the mechanics. Same for Forza, same for Gears. Sea of Thieves, thousands of hours of gameplay. State of Decay - complex zombie game that is almost a simulator in its detail. Sony has nothing really comparable to these games, it is all flash over substance there with the exception of Demon's Souls/Bloodborne.

PS5 will be amazing for the short-term when it comes to exclusives but long term if everything works out the first party games on Xbox Series X could actually out do what sony is offering, especially when you factor in game pass.

IMO, get a PS5 now and Series X later but if you can, just get both because they will both be great consoles

Last edited:

WakeTheWolf

What? How? Where?
Well not really the console itself as it only came up in the store but games like COD MW mostly and it was seeing sony's constant political reach for bailing out looters just nailed it in the coffin for me. I mean I follow their social medias to hear about upcoming games not to be pandered to. Xbox was just as guilty but I switched off from gaming for a while because of it. Which may seem stupid to others but that over-reaching politics from games really turns me off of their brands. It's not genuine and it's virtue signalling.

Romulus

I never agreed with the sentiment that MS has no first party games. Frist off, it is a blatant lie. Second, their first party games are actually games. You can play Halo for thousands of hours and there is depth to the mechanics. Same for Forza, same for Gears. Sea of Thieves, thousands of hours of gameplay. State of Decay - complex zombie game that is almost a simulator in its detail. Sony has nothing really comparable to these games, it is all flash over substance there with the exception of Demon's Souls/Bloodborne.

So Forza is a game with deep mechanics for thousands of hours, but not Gran Turismo. lol

I could continue on, but I think this example is plenty on its own.

WakeTheWolf

In terms of agenda pushing, you aren't going to win anywhere but on PC, where mods can take out the trash.

Microsoft is the company publishing Tell Me Why, which pretty much says everything. They've also censored in games before, but it wasn't as widely publicized.

I did get a PC to get away from it but I found the PC gaming community full of obsessive political types on both sides. It's pretty unavoidable but easily minimized. You are right though, PC you can just mod that crap out.

BlvckFox

Gold Member
Your first three points are absolute nonsense but I’m with you OP.
I’m in a similar situation, I have a strong ass PC but I’m gonna get an XSeX anyway. It would be nice under the TV.

You can always get one and try it out, see what you think of it. If you don't like it then you can always sell it and get something else.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
In terms of agenda pushing, you aren't going to win anywhere but on PC, where mods can take out the trash.

Microsoft is the company publishing Tell Me Why, which pretty much says everything. They've also censored in games before, but it wasn't as widely publicized.
You see, that's the difference. As much as I disliked Tell me Why, I have no issue for it to exist. Because it was marketed as such. TLoU 2 on the other hand, etc. It's different to push agendas in new games and IPs and shoehorn it into existing once.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
6- No game pass option. while this is a gray area for me and usually I do buy the games I want, There are many games I actually want to try and play but I can't justify paying 100$ Canadian to play them. this is where the game pass makes sense to me. Those games I will play now and then but I do not care to buy them.
Get PS5 for first party exclusives.

Series X for everything else: MS first party games, third party, Game Pass. Don't forget to do the $1 Game Pass Ultimate upgrade. A ton of us did for 3 years. I have GP Ultimate till summer 2022.

PC gamer for the last 30+ years and I recently took apart my gaming computer and sold off all parts. I find lately there is nothing on PC that is not on consoles that I want to play. I find myself way more likely to play on Xbox or PS4 on my tv on my couch then sitting on a PC. I used to be into MMORPGS and nothing has really captured me in the last 10 years or so that would be on PC and not console. Nothing wrong with moving to consoles, save tons of money and time.

TeKtheSanE

1- PS5 Design. like wtf its really huge and ugly. I need a new table just for this stupid thing.
2- Sony Censorship in Japanese games. I feel like I am going back to the ice age with this. like, might as well dress all the girls like nuns or hijab clothes and call it a day how is that? Not against any religion but don't censor my games the way the Devs wanted their vision in the game.
3- Naughty Dog pushing agenda in their games. Normally I do not like any of the sides. to me being in the middle is and always is the right thing to do. but they are pushing too extreme to one side its making me sick. and while I normally don't care, Sony is being silent on this is making me angry about it too.
4- by default its weaker system. God knows how much it will be weaker in terms of actual games is yet to be seen.
5- Sony stands against the upgrades to games you already own. You want me to buy an 80$ game to get updated graphics for a game I already own? how is that fair or even common sense when both Xbox and especially PC friggin free?

I still think the PS5 is a must. but Fuck Sony needs to act right and fast.
You hit it on the head with those first 3 why I am getting my XSX instead of PS5 first.

The design is just meh, I'm gonna wait for a black edition before I buy it, also crossing fingers that it gets a redesign and a bit smaller somehow.

I don't support any form of censorship to be honest in any art medium, and although I buy from Japanese playstation store and don't have to deal with this, it iritates me talking to english speaking friends that have to deal with it.

And lastly, The Last of Us 2 left such a bitter taste in my mouth for various reasons and kinda killed my interest in first-party story games from Sony moving forward.

Basically Sony has been looking less and less appealing, and if Microsoft gets the same Japanese support somehow, I will exclusively be on PC/Xbox most likely. (which prolly won't happen so I'll prolly end up with a PS5 after it's redesign)

Last edited:

Yoboman

So do it

Sony aren't going to be putting their games out via a subscription

They are going to continue making the sorts of games that sell millions and win GOTY awards

They will continue allowing their developers to express themselves creatively without fear of being silenced by the cancel culture mobs

They will continue to have the best performance to price at $399

They will continue to pick up excellent exclusives like FFXVI

If its not for you nobody is forcing you to buy it

CAB_Life

First PS I’ve skipped since the PSX. Feels weird, yeah. But again, it’s not about brand loyalty—that’s corporate brainwashing to make you buy things you mostly don’t need—it’s about what has the best value and proposition. For me that’s multiplat performance and Gamepass. Also, I’m an ESO junkie and ZOS is now owned by MS, so that was the cherry on top to seal the deal.

Just do whatever feels right for your situation. I don’t understand the agonizing people go through over choosing a console. Unless it’s a matter of finances and you’re cash strapped, wherein the XSS plus Gamepass is the clear frontrunner.

And yes, the PS5 is ugly as sin. We all need to start being honest about that. It’s like that dogfaced baby proud parents show you and you put on your shit eating grin and say it looks like an angel (turd). That’s an issue too, since I don’t want junky designs clashing with my decor.

Yumi

I'm with you. My life is a lot different now and cant game as much. Having lots of options with game pass works for me and I love to see old games with better performance, I'm one of those weirdos.

I get people who love playstation first party IP though. The only one I'm personally gonna miss is the new God of War. Final fantasy was my favorite franchise but haven't loved it since 9. Demons souls looks great but the From formula for me personally passed (spent an insane amount of hours on dark souls and bloodborne.

Theres just no single game that I can think of that would justify buying a PS4. It would have to be a crazy nostalgia grab like a Chrono Trigger remake.

Top Bottom