• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For Steam Deck to be user friendly it needs game profiles

KAL2006

Banned
The Steam store needs a quick setting menu for every game.

In this settings menu we should have game performance and game controls. And you can choose preset game setting and preset controls for the Deck. We should have sections for user uploaded presets (can show the top ones using a ratings system) personal presets and game developer presets (not all developers will choose to make presets so that's why user ones are important). All presets can be named whatever you like.

Here is an idea how it would look like with the sub categories.

GAME PERFORMANCE
Developer Preset
- Performance
- Quality
Personal Presets
- Default 2
Top Voted User Presets
- 10watt medium setting
- 12 watt 60fps
- 30fps quality mode
- shadows off high quality

GAME CONTROLS
Developer Presets
- Steam Deck Mode
Personal Presets
Top Voted User Presets
- High sensitivity hardcore
- Trackpad master
- Sniper warrior
- Touchscreen noob

The idea is you simply select the game, select a chosen game performance preset, select controls preset and game just works.

Last edited:
This is a great idea, and is similar to what already exists for the Steam Controller (and now other controller) profiles. I suspect a lot of the infrastructure is in place to accomplish something like this is Valve works on an API. Most of these settings are just xml files anyway, so I wonder if people could develop a program that could simply live in your library that could perform the same functionality (if Valve don't want to do it in an official capacity).

junguler

Banned
i think games that you haven't played already should come with a sensible default configuration out of the box and steam has to make a dummy save file that gets downloaded automatically, this could be enough for pick and play types of players and more advanced profiles should also be available like you said.

KAL2006

Banned
i think games that you haven't played already should come with a sensible default configuration out of the box and steam has to make a dummy save file that gets downloaded automatically, this could be enough for pick and play types of players and more advanced profiles should also be available like you said.

Sensible default configuration requires work. Developers or valve won't have the resources to do this with every game. That's why I think the best idea is my idea in the OP, when a game gets launch first time initially the presets should be shown alot will be community driven so developers don't have to put resoruces in doing this.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'd be happy if Valve or the developers would just publish optimal profiles for games and just let me tweak them.

KAL2006

Banned
I'd be happy if Valve or the developers would just publish optimal profiles for games and just let me tweak them.

Yes that's what is in my OP, but I also suggest we have top rated user presets too as not all developers will bother to do this.

Also it's not just about settings. It's settings at different power modes.

You can have 8 watt low settings mode
You can have 12 watt low settings mode
You can have 9 watt 60fps but resolution at 540p

Sorcerer

Sensible default configuration requires work. Developers or valve won't have the resources to do this with every game. That's why I think the best idea is my idea in the OP, when a game gets launch first time initially the presets should be shown alot will be community driven so developers don't have to put resoruces in doing this.
I can't see Valve doing default configs. But dev's who live and breathe the game should have no problem with this. In fact on Steam with the Steam controller (and every controller in fact) the top option is always the dev suggested profile. But usually it is empty. I used to make configs that I thought were useful and publish them on Steam, one even seemed popular (I believe it was for Velvet Assassin) making good use of the trackpads. Dev's surely can take the time to do it for a game they are developing.

What really sucks is that on Steam you have to buy the game before you can see the control profiles. You should be able to look at that before you buy the game to see what is readily available.

It's not like the dev has to do this for every controller type. You can copy and paste configs to other controller types and you may have to do a little adjusting but it's not a big deal. With the deck the point becomes moot unless in docked mode I suppose

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
"Low" or "Medium" in settings are the "presets" you're after, they already exist.

Controller wise it's just a Xbox/Playstation controller at its core so that also already exists.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I imagine there will be recommended specs for the deck for each game.

You have to keep in mind that this isn't a console, and it isn't mean to replace your switch or whatever if you are afraid of settings menus.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I thought they already said they would have a profile preloaded for steam deck optimization for each game.....i think it was in a q&a or a faq?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yes that's what is in my OP, but I also suggest we have top rated user presets too as not all developers will bother to do this.

Also it's not just about settings. It's settings at different power modes.

You can have 8 watt low settings mode
You can have 12 watt low settings mode
You can have 9 watt 60fps but resolution at 540p

There are different power modes? I thought Valve said that the Deck always runs at full performance, docked or not.

Sentenza

Valve already said months ago that for a start they are introducing an API call that will be able to tell if the same Steam account is running on a desktop PC or on a Deck and save/use distinct settings between them.
That alone is going to make a lot of difference in terms of quality of life.

Going from there everything else the OP is asking (pre-made profiles for control schemes, the possibility to select top-rated ones made by the community, etc) is basically already in the client.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
There are different power modes? I thought Valve said that the Deck always runs at full performance, docked or not.

Aya Neo, GPD Win all allow you to change TDP to balance performance and battery life. Valve has already stated you can do this with Deck. So it would be nice we get presets for battery life in relation to settings as well. Like a 4 hour battery life mode for Doom, and a 2 hour battery mode for Doom etc. All the presets you can double click and check detailed information such as resolution, TDP, frame rate, shadows, texture quality etc.

Notabueno

Banned
No, it needs to have a decent, non-vomit inducing design.

Steam has never known how to design hardware, to this day, but I think this is the ugliest shit I've ever seen in the video game hardware market.

Top Bottom