• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For Honor will get res bump on next gen (4K XSX/PS5), 60fps in December

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://forhonor.ubisoft.com/game/en-us/news-community/152-363368-16/for-honor-next-gen-plan

Next-gen console players will be able to experience the highest-level of graphical enhancements that For Honor has to offer. These enhancements, carried over from the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro are now available, without compromises, on all next-gen consoles:
  • Improved Water Reflections
  • Improved Distance Level of Detail
  • Improved Shadow Resolution
  • Improved Texture Filtering
  • 4k Resolution (Xbox Series X, PS5) / 1080 p (Xbox Series S)

The team is happy to announce that For Honor will be playable at 60 FPS on all next gen consoles for the beginning of next season Y4S4, early next December.

If you currently own For Honor on PS4 or XBox One, your profile, including all purchases and inventory is automatically shared with its Next Gen counterparts (ex: PS4 and PS5).

About time! I have hundreds of hours on the game, and I constantly run into people who came from consoles and say how much better 60 or 100fps is. Especially against assassin's, as it's much harder to parry their lights. This is great news for everyone. TO VALHALLA!

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Glad to know that this game is up and still running, maybe I'll reinstall. IMO it was the best new IP from Ubisoft in quite sometime. Honestly one of my favorite Ubisoft games in a very long time. Also there isn't another AAA game on the market quite like it, so that's enough to give it some longevity IMO.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
This game still up and running surprises me.

I have to imagine getting into this game now would result in you getting bitch slapped.

If I remember correctly it ran at 1440p on Pro and 1800P on One X, so a nice bump for Pro but the difference will be less noticeable on Series X.

I have to imagine getting into this game now would result in you getting bitch slapped.

If I remember correctly it ran at 1440p on Pro and 1800P on One X, so a nice bump for Pro but the difference will be less noticeable on Series X.

Actually this game is alive and kicking on all skill levels!

I used to play on cousins system but got on my own a month ago and had to restart all levels and I didn't struggle finding low level groups, as well as easily getting into higher groups when I teamed up with my high lvl bro

yurinka

1080p on Series S vs 4k on PS5 / xsx? Quite the drop... Is it still next gen if you can't run a years old game at 1440p?
Did they announce the resolution for any other Series S game?

Remember it has 1/3 of the Series X teraflops, less than One X (but from different generation). Considering that and the fact that 1440p tvs are very rare (most people play on consoles and pc using 1080p displays), I assume most current gen versions of the Series S games will run at 1080p and not 1440p, in addition to receive extra graphical cuts other than the resolution when compared to Series X.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Actually this game is alive and kicking on all skill levels!

I used to play on cousins system but got on my own a month ago and had to restart all levels and I didn't struggle finding low level groups, as well as easily getting into higher groups when I teamed up with my high lvl bro
Thats fasicnating actually. I sucked at the game either way but once the One X hit I booted up the campaign just to check it out. Still looks really nice. Maybe I will hop on when Series X hits.

junguler

Banned
i remember being really hyped about this game but the always online thing killed it for me, i refuse to buy a game that has a expiration date on it.

Nicee, I'm currently playing for honor and always feel it desperately needs 60 fps. Still gonna play for a while longer because progress will carry over to next gen so nothing is lost. Great news overall.

Banned
1080p on Series S vs 4k on PS5 / xsx? Quite the drop... Is it still next gen if you can't run a years old game at 1440p?

it's the only logical way to go.
I am still surprised that Microsoft is actually advertising the Series S as a 1440p system when 99% of the people playing on that thing will either have a 1080p TV or a 4K TV.
so either way you'll either have wasted performance for the 1080p users or sub native resolution for 4K users.

going with 1080p at least gets rid of one of these problems.

of course going for 1440p when there's enough resources left is totally alright, but developers should really target 1080p + better settings IMO.

I always found that 1440p only looks marginally better than 1080p on a 4K screen. it's still so far below native res on a 4K screen that you can easily spot scaling artifacts with both resolutions.

TLDR, 1080 + higher settings > 1440p + lower settings

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
it's the only logical way to go.
I am still surprised that Microsoft is actually advertising the Series S as a 1440p system when 99% of the people playing on that thing will either have a 1080p TV or a 4K TV.
so either way you'll either have wasted performance for the 1080p users or sub native resolution for 4K users.

going with 1080p at least gets rid of one of these problems.

of course going for 1440p when there's enough resources left is totally alright, but developers should really target 1080p + better settings IMO.

I always found that 1440p only looks marginally better than 1080p on a 4K screen. it's still so far below native res on a 4K screen that you can easily spot scaling artifacts with both resolutions.

TLDR, 1080 + higher settings > 1440p + lower settings

I honestly believe Microsoft is saying 1440p simply because its not 1080p. The One and PS4 were talked about as 1080P machines so in my conspiracy theory part of my brain it seems like a way to simply make it sound less like the One in terms of features.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
i remember being really hyped about this game but the always online thing killed it for me, i refuse to buy a game that has a expiration date on it.

This is my exact thinking too.

I honestly believe Microsoft is saying 1440p simply because its not 1080p. The One and PS4 were talked about as 1080P machines so in my conspiracy theory part of my brain it seems like a way to simply make it sound less like the One in terms of features.

Yep! It's pure marketing.

cormack12

Gold Member
The 1440 has been explained to be fair. It's to do with the scaling. You can't upscale 480 or 720 to 1080 and maintain the pixel aspect easily (1080/480 = 2.25; 1080/720 = 1.5)

OG Xbox = 480 = x3 native increase = 1440
Xbox 360 = 720 = x2 native increase = 1440
Xbox One games will usually be upscaled to 1080
Next gen games will be downscaled to 1080

Warablo

I might have to go back and play it with that 60 fps boost. Great game, but they balanced the whole game around 60 fps, then told console plebs to deal with it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The 1440 has been explained to be fair. It's to do with the scaling. You can't upscale 480 or 720 to 1080 and maintain the pixel aspect easily (1080/480 = 2.25; 1080/720 = 1.5)

OG Xbox = 480 = x3 native increase = 1440
Xbox 360 = 720 = x2 native increase = 1440
Xbox One games will usually be upscaled to 1080
Next gen games will be downscaled to 1080

Then MS should take 1440p out of their marketing then.

Framerate is more important than resolution, ESPECIALLY in games like this. Its the equivalent of playing street fighter @30fps, which is a big no no.

Shmunter

It’s out, can confirm game is now butter smooth 60fps on PS5 in BC mode. Never bothered with it, but will give it a red hot go now.

PATCH NOTES 2.24.0 – FOR HONOR

NEXT GEN SUPPORT

Additionally to the graphical improvements that were available since the launch of the PS5, Xbox Series X and Xbox Serie S, we are happy to introduce a 60 Frame Rate per Second on those consoles, so to recap:

Available since the consoles launch
4k Resolution on PS5 and Xbox Series X, 1080p on Xbox Series S
Increased Level of Detail
Increased Shadow Resolution
Screen Space Reflection

Available with 2.24.0
All the above
60 FPS on PS5, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S

Last edited:
Great news! It's such a unique MP game, I've not played for like a year (thanks to R6S) but i really hope they're working on a sequal or a very large patch that address's the multi person fight problem, can’t count the number of times my Gladiator was gang banged into oblivion by 3 of those damn Samurai! :messenger_pouting:🖕

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I kinda wanna check this out, but I know I am gonna get bitch slapped so hard in Multi...

Ascend

Great news! It's such a unique MP game, I've not played for like a year (thanks to R6S) but i really hope they're working on a sequal or a very large patch that address's the multi person fight problem, can’t count the number of times my Gladiator was gang banged into oblivion by 3 of those damn Samurai! :messenger_pouting:🖕
Ganking in this game will never change. The heroes have been reworked though, so, if you come back now, you probably wouldn't recognize the old patterns anymore.

Dominion is supposed to be a team match, so if you're getting ganked all the time, either your team mates suck, or you have to do a better job trying to stick together with someone else.

Or if you want to freely run around, you have to play a character that can more easily handle multiple opponents, and that's definitely not the gladiator.

I kinda wanna check this out, but I know I am gonna get bitch slapped so hard in Multi...
Yes you will lol. That being said, there are still many noobs around, and in dominion (which is the only mode that always has players), your individual skill doesn't matter THAT much if you stick with team mates.

Last edited:

saintjules

It’s out, can confirm game is now butter smooth 60fps on PS5 in BC mode. Never bothered with it, but will give it a red hot go now.

PATCH NOTES 2.24.0 – FOR HONOR

NEXT GEN SUPPORT

Additionally to the graphical improvements that were available since the launch of the PS5, Xbox Series X and Xbox Serie S, we are happy to introduce a 60 Frame Rate per Second on those consoles, so to recap:

Available since the consoles launch
4k Resolution on PS5 and Xbox Series X, 1080p on Xbox Series S
Increased Level of Detail
Increased Shadow Resolution
Screen Space Reflection

Available with 2.24.0
All the above
60 FPS on PS5, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S

Thanks for the update. Thought about playing it for a while. Perfect time to jump in.

Top Bottom