• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FootballGAF 2021/2022 |OT| The battle to survive, rebuilding after disaster.

Dark Rider

[Standard] Harry Kane tells England supporters not to ‘panic’ as he defends Gareth Southgate following Hungary horror show: "It’s not going to be perfect every game, the fans have to understand that.”

FTYOPL9WUAIx4ob

DKehoe

Actually there is, sell them back to the fans in mass as shares instead of one owner. Part of the big clubs valuation that make them this expensive is the potential the owners can extract via prostituting their clubs in the ways mentioned by bloomberg, if the owners were not allowed to do that the value will drop significantly, it is what is it because of all those activities the fans are opposed to.
I meant realistic options.

Pogba hits out at Manchester United’s £300,000-a-week ‘nothing’ offer | Paul Pogba | The Guardian

[/URL][/URL]

:messenger_tears_of_joy:
I like Pogba more than most people. But it's really stupid of him to release footage where he calls 300k a week nothing, particularly during a cost of living crisis when a bunch of people are struggling to put food on the table and pay their bills .

Dark Rider

I meant realistic options.

That is actually the realistic approach to get these clubs and the whole sport in general back on track, the price is that the clubs valuation will initially drop but then it will grow back again as the fans get people who actually care about the clubs sporting side as will as growth in charge of these clubs. The clubs already went into toxic territory and it is unrealistic to think you can pull them back on track without paying your dues for going into these territories. I'd say paying a temporary hit in value that you can recuperate on your own is a good choice.

What is really unrealistic is asking investor owners who paid billions specifically to prostitute the clubs and the sport to not do any of that and just accept it. They will do it sooner or later even if they have to do it the boiled frog style a slow burn where they drag the fans kicking and screaming one small step at a time. The further we keep going into this toxic territory the harder it is to go back and at one point it will be impossible to salvage the sport.

I like Pogba more than most people. But it's really stupid of him to release footage where he calls 300k a week nothing, particularly during a cost of living crisis when a bunch of people are struggling to put food on the table and pay their bills .

He is going out of Manchester United with a bang, everyone else is watching though and will take note of all his actions, I'm glad we never signed him and hope we never will.

Wonder if there will be an issue if they ever do make it to champion's league levels and face each other

It is a ladder, the lower tier clubs are there just for profit and in service to the clubs higher on that ladder (which is entirely decided by Manchester City group) so the lower clubs will only have enough investment to make profit from sales and produce players that could serve the clubs up in the ladder, a club in the lower side of the ladder will need a fluke of over-achievement to make it to UCL for a season, if they did it will be unlikely they face another club from the ladder giving it is only one season fluke, then the profit they made and the players that made this achievement happen will be moved up the ladder so the following season that over achieving lower tier club will slum back again after being sucked dry and prepared to produce more players.

Last edited:

DKehoe

That is actually the realistic approach to get these clubs and the whole sport in general back on track, the price is that the clubs valuation will initially drop but then it will grow back again as the fans get people who actually care about the clubs sporting side as will as growth in charge of these clubs. The clubs already went into toxic territory and it is unrealistic to think you can pull them back on track without paying your dues for going into these territories. I'd say paying a temporary hit in value that you can recuperate on your own is a good choice.

What is really unrealistic is asking investor owners who paid billions specifically to prostitute the clubs and the sport to not do any of that and just accept it. They will do it sooner or later even if they have to do it the boiled frog style a slow burn where they drag the fans kicking and screaming one small step at a time. The further we keep going into this toxic territory the harder it is to go back and at one point it will be impossible to salvage the sport.
What's realistic about that happening? Are you proposing that the government (let's just say we are talking about English teams here) steps in and mandates something like the 50+1 rule? Because, without getting too political here, that's not going to happen. Or is it the owners choosing to do it on their own? We can look at the Glazers being pressured by United fans to create fan-owned shares, which is finally starting to happen, but their proposal would only offer a tiny, meaningless amount of voting rights. So again, that's not going to happen that way.

Dark Rider

[Official] UEFA Disciplinary Committee bans former Paris Saint-Germain sporting director Leonardo for one UEFA club match following incidents in their Champions League knockout game against Real Madrid in March and cleared its own executive committee member Nasser al-Khelaifi of any punishment.

UEFA has closed the disciplinary files opened against both PSG and Barcelona. UEFA banned Leonardo for only one match after the incident in the Bernabéu tunnel with Al-Khelaifi. Barcelona has been fined for €10.000 for unsportsmanlike conduct for the match between its women's team and Lyon.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

What's realistic about that happening? Are you proposing that the government (let's just say we are talking about English teams here) steps in and mandates something like the 50+1 rule? Because, without getting too political here, that's not going to happen. Or is it the owners choosing to do it on their own? We can look at the Glazers being pressured by United fans to create fan-owned shares, which is finally starting to happen, but their proposal would only offer a tiny, meaningless amount of voting rights. So again, that's not going to happen that way.

Ok so in England they just got the chance to do it with Chelsea, the club have enough fans that are willing to band together to protest they could have used that and in a protest sent mass emails to all their local MPs to either act to sell Chelsea back to the fans as shares or be guaranteed to lose their seats next election cycle and never be elected again. Chelsea was up for grabs there and the decision was at the hands of the government which is beholden to the electorate and there is enough Chelsea fans to actually force the issue on their local MPs but they did not.

The matter was on full blast on the media and the news cycle so the fans have no excuse to not band together, organize and do this. They chose not to. Next step is to again wield the fans voting rights to force the FA officials to be replaced with people who will put breaks on the toxic direction these owners want to go via rules and suddenly the current owners and future owners will feel less inclined to come into the sport and might cash out selling club shares.

Now saying all that I agree this is VERY hard to accomplish, extremely hard, very unlikely, seem like a dream. And yet despite all that it is more likely than the current plan of begging the investor owners to not prostitute your clubs, they laugh at those requests every day and every fan know this.

You have less chance of saving the clubs and sport letting investment owners infest the sport than trying what actually need to be done as outlined above, how comically hard it is to pull it sound unrealistic just show how much of a screw up and deep in the doodoo they let the situation go to begin with. It is only this hard because we let it get this far and it will be even harder if we don't do anything about it now, it is akin to cancer, it will be hard to beat and sacrifices need to be made and likely will not be cured if it is in stage 4 but you try your hardest anyway.

Dark Rider

Mesut Özil’s agent Dr Erkut Sogut on Özil: "He will go more into esports, play himself and maybe become an esports athlete. He’s really good, to be honest, at Fortnite and I think one day I wouldn’t be surprised if he is competing."

Dark Rider

Roberto Martinez: "Real Madrid fans are going to see a totally different Hazard. I was surprised by the state of mind and physical condition he was in in June. He is obsessed with succeeding at Real Madrid."

Ashes

Banned
Richard Arnold met a group of Manchester United supporters in his local pub before they were set to protest the Glazers' ownership of the club outside his house.

As reported by JOE, the fans, in support of The 1958 supporters group, had planned to unfurl banners outside the gates of United CEO Arnold's home on Saturday demanding that he and the Glazers leave the club. The group arranged to meet in a pub close to Arnold's Chesire property before the protest began but were surprised when Arnold met them there instead.
https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...hester-united-richard-arnold-glazers-24264857

Great story this. Okay the language is a bit colourful, but aside from that, I don't see why he doesn't come out more often just to give us a lay of the land from the top of the tree.

DKehoe

Richard Arnold met a group of Manchester United supporters in his local pub before they were set to protest the Glazers' ownership of the club outside his house.

As reported by JOE, the fans, in support of The 1958 supporters group, had planned to unfurl banners outside the gates of United CEO Arnold's home on Saturday demanding that he and the Glazers leave the club. The group arranged to meet in a pub close to Arnold's Chesire property before the protest began but were surprised when Arnold met them there instead.
https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...hester-united-richard-arnold-glazers-24264857

Great story this. Okay the language is a bit colourful, but aside from that, I don't see why he doesn't come out more often just to give us a lay of the land from the top of the tree.
From the stuff I’ve seen of this he handled himself well. In particular it’s good that he seems to be aware that he shouldn’t be directly involved in the footballing decisions, which is something I’d heard when he took over the role. But filming him without his knowledge is unfair and makes it less likely that he would engage in something like this going forward. And that would be a shame since direct engagement with fans has been something that’s been sorely lacking under the Glazers. Also, I’m all for fans letting their voices be heard but going to someone’s home starts to cross over into intimidation territory.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

Captain Tsubasa is still very influential, and not just for our generation. When I was four or five years old, the J-League started. Those two things were a big catalyst for me to become a professional player.

DKehoe

I know as a blue I should hate Keane but I love him he's honest as fuck same with neville he says it as it is........ Shame about Owen n sourness lol
The thing about him talking about players is he’s not a hypocrite about it either. When people talk about his own great performances, like that Juventus game in 99, he gets annoyed at the suggestion he was doing anything special because to him he was just doing what he’s meant to.

It is funny how your opinion on players can change as they become pundits. Never would have thought I’d like hearing from Jamie Carragher as much as I do!

Keane and Micah Richards make for a great pairing too. You maybe don’t get the sort of tactical insight from them that you get with Neville and Carragher but Micah knows exactly how to push Roy’s buttons to make things fun and you can see Roy has a real fondness for him too where he lets his guard down with him.

JLB

Banned
[Official] UEFA Disciplinary Committee bans former Paris Saint-Germain sporting director Leonardo for one UEFA club match following incidents in their Champions League knockout game against Real Madrid in March and cleared its own executive committee member Nasser al-Khelaifi of any punishment.

UEFA has closed the disciplinary files opened against both PSG and Barcelona. UEFA banned Leonardo for only one match after the incident in the Bernabéu tunnel with Al-Khelaifi. Barcelona has been fined for €10.000 for unsportsmanlike conduct for the match between its women's team and Lyon.

UEFA is a joke. Superliga cant come soon enough.

Dark Rider

Holnest, Pathé and IDG Capital announce that they have entered into exclusive negotiations with Eagle Football Holdings LLC with the goal of the latter's acquisition of a majority share in OL Groupe, followed by a simplified mandatory takeover bid

Dark Rider

[Africa Facts Zone] Sadio Mane is transforming his village to a town. He built a £455,000 hospital and €250,000 school in his village. He gives each family €70 monthly. He provided 4G internet for them and is building a fuel station and post office and is also rewarded best preforming students.

Dark Rider

[FC Barcelona]: Barcelona will play at the Lluís Companys Olympic Stadium (Montjuïc Stadium) in the 2023-24 season during the Camp Nou reconstruction.

Dark Rider

Vinicius Jr. on his journey as a footballer: “I skipped a lot of steps in my development. I was already a professional at 16, and then joining Real Madrid was a huge pressure. Thankfully I had the help of very experienced players, Marcelo, Benzema, Casemiro… They have helped me evolve.”

Dark Rider

Rio Ferdinand defends Varane : “There’s no confidence, no guidance, no structure. He’s reached a strange place where he must be thinking: ‘I haven’t seen the likes of this since I was a youngster.’ Coming from Madrid's culture and that world-class standard to United will have been a huge change.”

Dark Rider

[Le Parisien] Nasser Al-Khelaïfi : "A disappointment of the fans with Galtier instead of Zidane? Dream is one thing, reality another. Dream Bigger is good but there we must be realistic, we do not want more flashy, bling-bling, it is the end of the glitter."

[Al-Khelaifi to Marca] « I refused €180m from Real Madrid for Mbappé because I knew he wanted to stay here. He’s not interested by money. »

:pie_thinking:

Last edited:

Dark Rider

[L’Équipe] On July 1, Neymar’s contract will be automatically extended by one year. He will be a Parisien until June 2027.

He will be 35 by the end of it, I really wonder if he will retire then or continue somewhere else :pie_thinking:

DKehoe

So he went for money despite earning bank at real Madrid for keeping the bench warm rather than going to Cardiff. What a shame
I'm guessing the city and weather may have been a factor. Also, the MLS season ends on 5th November so that times things well for him if his priority is the World Cup. Also, it would be really funny if he declared that becase LA has a big latino population he's going to learn Spanish.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

Good luck to Bale.

He did not go there to play football we all know he went there to keep fit for the world cup and to collect wadges after that.
He will surely make good use of California golf courses too.

JLB

Banned
Good luck to Bale.

He did not go there to play football we all know he went there to keep fit for the world cup and to collect wadges after that.
He will surely make good use of California golf courses too.

Though his last years were underwhelming, I'll always recognize Gareth as a legend. He was key for some of the most memorable moments of Real Madrid history (2nd goal vs Atletico in La Decima, goal running against Bartra to win the Copa del Rey to Barcelona, the two goals to win UCL finals vs Liverpool, and many others).
I'd say well worth to do what he really loves (playing golf).

Dark Rider

Though his last years were underwhelming, I'll always recognize Gareth as a legend. He was key for some of the most memorable moments of Real Madrid history (2nd goal vs Atletico in La Decima, goal running against Bartra to win the Copa del Rey to Barcelona, the two goals to win UCL finals vs Liverpool, and many others).
I'd say well worth to do what he really loves (playing golf).

He was just collecting wadges 2018-2022
He was destructive behind the scenes to both Carlo and Zidane (and of course that result in hurting the club)
I'll fully give him full credit for clenching That CdR final and without that run and goal maybe we would not have won it.
The UCL though I fully believe we would have won anyway, great to have him being part of making it happen but without him we would have won too.
Over all he did not reach legendary status for the club for me to be honest :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:
He had some good showings prior to 2018 although infrequent.
Good luck to him on his future plans for sure he had some memorable moments and goals for sure.

Dark Rider

Lothar Matthäus: "If the phone rings on a Sunday morning and says 'anonymous,' it can only be Uli Hoeneß because he had watched the game on a Saturday night, when I was on the broadcast as an expert. And when Bayern have lost, he scolds me for 5 minutes. I don't get a chance to speak, only he does."

JLB

Banned
He was just collecting wadges 2018-2022
He was destructive behind the scenes to both Carlo and Zidane (and of course that result in hurting the club)
I'll fully give him full credit for clenching That CdR final and without that run and goal maybe we would not have won it.
The UCL though I fully believe we would have won anyway, great to have him being part of making it happen but without him we would have won too.
Over all he did not reach legendary status for the club for me to be honest :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:
He had some good showings prior to 2018 although infrequent.
Good luck to him on his future plans for sure he had some memorable moments and goals for sure.

Legend as Cristiano Ronaldo, Distefano, Puskas, Sergio Ramos, Juanito, Benzema, etc? nah, not on that level. But for sure in the immediate next level after them.

Dark Rider

Legend as Cristiano Ronaldo, Distefano, Puskas, Sergio Ramos, Juanito, Benzema, etc? nah, not on that level. But for sure in the immediate next level after them.

Immediate next level? for me absolutely not.
For me he is not on the level of many in the current generation to be honest, players like Marcelo, Modrić, Kroos, Casemiro and Carvajal are above him for sure and club legends. These players were there before him, were there while he was there and played their hurts out throughout unlike him, he signed a new contract 2018 and immediately flipped the finger to the club and started doing nothing but collecting wadges, even worse before 2018 he caused a lot of trouble behind the scenes for the club and lobbied to get both Carlo and Zidane sacked which none of his teammates ever did and after getting what he wants he just sign the contract then do not deliver anything the entirety of said contract, how can I put him above any of the players I listed or even on their level considering everyone actions?

The players I listed played their heart out day in and day out always, he did not. He can't be on the same level as any of them otherwise it is unfair to all those other players.

Edit: sorry I forgot to include your post JLB JLB

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Immediate next level? for me absolutely not.
For me he is not on the level of many in the current generation to be honest, players like Marcelo, Modrić, Kroos, Casemiro and Carvajal are above him for sure and club legends. These players were there before him, were there while he was there and played their hurts out throughout unlike him, he signed a new contract 2018 and immediately flipped the finger to the club and started doing nothing but collecting wadges, even worse before 2018 he caused a lot of trouble behind the scenes for the club and lobbied to get both Carlo and Zidane sacked which none of his teammates ever did and after getting what he wants he just sign the contract then do not deliver anything the entirety of said contract, how can I put him above any of the players I listed or even on their level considering everyone actions?

The players I listed played their heart out day in and day out always, he did not. He can't be on the same level as any of them otherwise it is unfair to all those other players.

Edit: sorry I forgot to include your post JLB JLB

I mean, I really like Carvajal, but Bale gave us literally a ton of titles. It went into the pitch against liverpool on kiev and in 120 seconds made the best goal of all times in a UCL final.
Of course, we should always expect more from those more talented, but in any case I recall like 10 unique moments from Bale and cant say the same of the other players on your list.

BTW and offtopic, I rewatched the fianl with Liverpool.. and its unbelievable how good Kroos played that match.

Top Bottom