• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football (British) child abuse scandal: Police identify 155 suspects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

The number of suspects in the UK-wide football child abuse scandal has reached 155, the National Police Chiefs' Council has announced.

Police say there are now 429 potential victims, some as young as four at the time of the alleged offence, and 148 clubs are now involved.

Separate figures show the number of historical child abuse suspects across all walks of life stands at 3,469.

This is more than double the figure of 18 months earlier.

The National Police Chiefs' Council (NPCC) set up Operation Hydrant to oversee investigations of "non-recent" child sex abuse within institutions or by people of public prominence.

The spotlight has fallen on abuse in football since a a number of former footballers came forward publicly to tell their stories and the number of suspects has almost doubled in a fortnight.

The latest figures from the NPCC show there have been 819 referrals from police forces and a special helpline set up for victims of abuse in football.

More @ http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38378361

No words.

Bumhead

Banned
148 clubs is an absolutely ridiculous number.

For context that could potentially be the entirety of the English and Scottish Premiership's, plus all 6 English and Scottish football leagues.. with room to spare.

Audioboxer

148 clubs is an absolutely ridiculous number.

For context that could potentially be the entirety of the English and Scottish Premiership's, plus all 6 English and Scottish football leagues.. with room to spare.

I think a fair bit of it is covering lower league/semi-pro/amateur teams. Not that that takes away from the severity of child abuse, just that it doesn't necessarily mean every premier league team is involved in this.

Many footballers careers start as young boys at amateur teams.

Bumhead

Banned
I think a fair bit of it is covering lower league/semi-pro/amateur teams. Not that that takes away from the severity of child abuse, just that it doesn't necessarily mean every premier league team is involved in this.

Oh yeah, I meant more as an illustrative example of how far this reaches in terms of pure numbers.

In terms of putting a number of teams into some sort of context, that's a frighteningly wide outreach.

Acorn

It's a scandal the was not dealt with back at the time, a lot of these fucks have probably died escaping justice.

Any club found guilty of a cover-up (including my own) should be punished either retroactively or presently.

Audioboxer

Oh yeah, I meant more as an illustrative example of how far this reaches in terms of pure numbers.

In terms of putting a number of teams into some sort of context, that's a frighteningly wide outreach.

Ah yeah I get you, I agree. To lay it out like that is sickening.

It's a scandal the was not dealt with back at the time, a lot of these fucks have probably died escaping justice.

Any club found guilty of a cover-up (including my own) should be punished either retroactively or presently.

I agree. Another Jimmy Saville scandal in the making. Cover-ups and/or not bothering to do anything until most of the attacker(s) end up dead.

Blue Lou

This is from a book published in 2012.

banvwpks4m1y.jpg

faridmon

Hopefully this results in punishments of sever order.

I am glad these footballers have come out and told the world of their difficult youths and I command them for doing so. That must be really rough bottling it all in and even rougher telling it as it was.

Mad respect!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom