• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flight Sim VR mode free update on Dec 23rd

cormack12

Gold Member

GHG

Gold Member
Great to see all headsets will be supported.

The biggest hurdle will be the hardware required to get it running decently. Most people will have to settle for low/medium settings.

Alx

Can't wait to try it. I'm terrible at the whole flying part, but I liked looking around for famous places, or trying to locate my small hometown.
I wonder how it will really work though. VR seems like a great addition in theory, but how are you supposed to control the whole thing when you can't see your hands nor the keyboard ? Will you need to interact directly with the controls on the virtual cockpit ?

INC

Amazing news, shame the 'game' has 0 interest to me

Wish there was a demo, id at least like to see it on my headsets

Catphish

The game runs like ass on a 3090. It's the base of this game that is fucked. almost the same as a 1080ti
How the hell they think this will work in VR?
Nobody knows,
By "like ass", I assume you mean at 4k/Ultra. I run that on a 3080 and get 40fps with dips to 30. I expected better. I'm guessing it'll be fine with the resolution drop for VR, though. But then, the game doesn't look all that great at 1080, so I doubt it'll look much better at 1080, 2 inches from your face.

The frame rate should be ok, but I suspect the fidelity will be shit on my Oculus Rift S. Hope I'm wrong. I'm also hoping for good feedback from the Reverb G2. I'll buy one, if so.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
By "like ass", I assume you mean at 4k/Ultra. I run that on a 3080 and get 40fps with dips to 30. I expected better. I'm guessing it'll be fine with the resolution drop for VR, though. But then, the game doesn't look all that great at 1080, so I doubt it'll look much better at 1080, 2 inches from your face.

The frame rate should be ok, but I suspect the fidelity will be shit on my Oculus Rift S. Hope I'm wrong. I'm also hoping for good feedback from the Reverb G2. I'll buy one, if so.
40 with dips to 30 on a 850 euro GPU that just came out is a joke. And good VR is ALL about fast refresh rates and high res.
everything this game lacks :pie_roffles:

Wonko_C

The game runs like ass on a 3090. It's the base of this game that is fucked. almost the same as a 1080ti
Nobody knows,

The CPUs are the bottleneck, I wonder if FS2020 is still based on the FSX engine? that sim came out when single-threaded CPUs were still dominant.

Amazing news, shame the 'game' has 0 interest to me

Wish there was a demo, id at least like to see it on my headsets
I think Project Wingman just released. that game has VR support and it's basically a clone of Ace Combat with full VR support. Looks awesome.

Last edited:
Reactions: INC

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The CPUs are the bottleneck, I wonder if FS2020 is still based on the FSX engine? that sim came out when single-threaded CPUs were still dominant.

I think Project Wingman just released. that game has VR support and it's basically a clone of Ace Combat with full VR support. Looks awesome.
I honestly blame the devs. There is something wonky going on behind the scene's
and yes it's 100% bottlenecked by the cpu

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I honestly blame the devs. There is something wonky going on behind the scene's
and yes it's 100% bottlenecked by the cpu
Well it's DX11, which was bad with drawcalls. As far as I know game is very RAM/CPU intensive.

Games need to hit 90HZ to get a decent VR experience. Last time I heard, a 2080ti could not even hit 80 fps average at 1080p medium settings on a 10900k.

Romulus

Apparently even with a 1080ti it looks incredible on med settings, the dude is blown away.

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

Microsoft said they are going to support this game for a long long time.
Everyone worried about not being able to run it or how it doesn't do everything just yet.

Well. just you wait, it'll get there.
They have been making the game better and better, listening to their fans, really they are doing what they can with what they have

McCheese

It's CPU bound, so I can see how they might get this to run on VR I'd they detach the display refresh from the physics tick rate.

Biggest problem isn't graphic cards but controllers, you cannot play the VR more with VR controllers due to lack of buttons, so you need either an Xbox pad or to sit at a keyboard and hope you don't miss the buttons and accidentally open your flaps mid flight, neither are ideal.

Because of how CPU bound the game is, when they move from DX11 to DX12 there should be a significant improvement to framerate.

I haven't heard any concrete news on a timeframe for that though.

It's also possible we will just have to wait a few more years before the hardware to properly run this game in VR ... exists. In 5 years the hardware to play this game very well in VR will be common and mainstream.

Last edited:
I don't care about VR and my Oculus has been collecting dust for a year and a half but damn I might try this one out.

given that VR is 90% indie minigames and a few ports of old games and even fewer big native releases, I don't blame you

I don't have a pc for this however and anyway and I'm just less picky...

Spokker

PSVR still works with a low resolution and a less than ideal frame rate (they use interpolation to boost 60 fps to 120 fps, or 90 fps native).

I was still impressed by Astro Bot initially but when they let you go into your base and play with the machine that gives you items, it was a whole other level of surreal.

So yeah, I don't think a game needs to be 4K in each eye for VR to be effective. If Sony's ghetto VR solution works so well, I can't imagine what the next one will be like. Too bad VR gives me diarrhea though.

Last edited:
Is the gamepass version going to include VR? If so, I might just subscribe again.

Not sure how I'm going to play with just a gamepad though, seem to remember I used a lot of keys too.

Thaedolus

Is the gamepass version going to include VR? If so, I might just subscribe again.

Not sure how I'm going to play with just a gamepad though, seem to remember I used a lot of keys too.

I’ve got it through gamepass and the update it ran said it added VR last night, I just haven’t had a chance to try it yet

allgames

Built a new gaming rig for the first time in 10 years just as the 3080 came out. This VR update for flight sim in incredible. It’s blowing my face off and I can’t believe this exists after starting with the corncob flight sim 3D in 1995. VR continues to make me say wow 2 months after my first experience. Cant wait to see wider FOV and 4K per eye.

Last edited:

allymonty

Neo Member
What headset would you guys recommend to someone who's never used VR on PC before? Got my flight stick for Christmas so desperate to try out VR on this as well!

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I would love to try this, but I've always found flight simulators to be reaaaally complicated. I remember trying IL-2 Sturmovik as a kid and wasn't even able to take off. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Is that the case with this one? Or does it have a "chill out mode" for people that just to hang around in a plane?

MetalRain

I would love to try this, but I've always found flight simulators to be reaaaally complicated. I remember trying IL-2 Sturmovik as a kid and wasn't even able to take off. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Is that the case with this one? Or does it have a "chill out mode" for people that just to hang around in a plane?
This one has quite decent assists and even AI pilot that takes care of everything.

I usually toggle that on once I have landed, I have no idea where should I park in most of the airports.

Last edited:

Alx

You can start in the air at any coordinates you choose, so you won't be limited by complex tasks like taking off or landing. But even in easy mode, you won't be able to Crimson Sky your way through the area ; as a noob myself I often get warned by the game for stalling or flying too fast near the ground. It's also not easy to find your way when you're looking for minor locations like your home village if they don't have an airport, but I guess that's part of the "game".

TitanNut88

What is the best VR headset right now? Is it worth buying or will something new come shortly? I'm completely out of this topic.

Wonko_C

What is the best VR headset right now? Is it worth buying or will something new come shortly? I'm completely out of this topic.
It really depends on what you're looking for. They all have their advantages and disadvantages, but if you want a better idea, check this video, it makes a good breakdown:

Buggy Loop

At this point, anything else than the Oculus Quest 2 is blowing money out of the window for little to no returns. It’s an unbeatable price for the hardware you get (1/3 price of index). And can be entirely wireless.

TheMan

I forgot all about this after being so excited, lol

First time I tried, I turned settings down low enough to where I thought xplane 11 looked better. Performance was ok, not great, but perfectly playable
Been meaning to tweak setting but just can't be arsed for some reason.

Buggy Loop

I feel that Asobo has a lot of optimization to do on PC before this is even a good experience. Console tweaking will benefit PC users for sure, but I have a feeling we’ll have to wait for DirectStorage for it’s full potential. And for fuck’s sake Asobo, VR DLSS 2.1 support pls.

Help.

I wanted to try out MSFS in VR but when I picked up my Oculus Rift S after like a year (or maybe more) of not using it, I noticed these 2 black lines on right display. There's nothing on the lens itself. Looks like there's something between the lens or maybe something on the display itself.

Anyone seen something like this? Is this a crack or a hair or something like that?

SDZgFG8.jpg

xqTdIRP.jpg

Top Bottom