• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flight Sim '21 (Xbox) Review Thread

Greggy

I’ve already spent more time (and all of it enjoyable) fudding about on this than I have done on most ‘real’ games. 😁👍

So, well worth the money spent (which was almost literally nothing, as I got 3 years of Gamepass for a quid about 1.5 years ago).

This is a good addition to the Xbox.
Good. Don’t forget you paid for Gold though. You spent a lot more than 1 quid. Still much less than you would have on another console.

StormCell

Yeah I saw some cut off roads, cars popping in and out and driving where you’re not allowed to drive etc, plus the flattened church I mentioned.

But I don’t really care. It’s a sore thumb but it feels like complaining about clipping in BOTW. The game is legit awesome, better than I expected, and I really appreciate that they’ve tried to make it accessible for both noobs and experienced sim gamers.

Absolutely. For what this game does and is about, there's going to be too many corner cases to really worry about. Just the fact that they added cars for effect is better than not having them at all.

Other caveat I noticed was that the live weather didn't appear to be working for me yesterday. Not sure how this feature actually works, but where I was flying it was sunny and not a cloud in the sky, but there were thunderstorms moving through. Not sure if this feature just isn't working currently or if that's how they interpreted the scattered nature of the thunderstorms in the area.

I’m thinking about investing in a flight stick.

Happy Lets Go GIF by Nike

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Looks better then landing at my place at Jupiter Inlet in Florida. The rock looking thing is my house and the green things are palm trees. This is on a Series X over a 2 gig fiber line

B4rPPVX.png

Finally got up in the air, flew over my house, not overly detailed tbh but it was still insanely satisfying, cruised over the city awhile and looked at familiar places, finally took her down nice and easy on the airport and didn’t know how to stop the plane and ran off the runway and parked in the water. Good day.

c2jmmF0.jpg

So has anyone had any crashes on Xbox?
Just had my fourth game crash now.
Was happily having an pretty uneventful flight around the middle of Australia in a little bouncy up and down type plane that I can't remember the name of and the screen just went completely black again.

I know that is a completely different continent but it's a pretty accurate representation of my first hour of flying around the middle of Australia in a little bouncy up and down type plane but when the game crashed I was up in the clouds so it was definitely a game crash rather than a little bouncy up and down type plane hitting the far less bouncy ground type crash.
Having said that, my first thought was "Well, it is Australia. I've probably just been eaten by some sort of animal or plant that mistook me for a little bouncy up and down type insect".

Fredrik

My god the Jet you can get in the paid section is fun.....i finally manager to land it but not on an airfield.
Eurofighter?

I would pay to fly:
SAAB 37 Viggen - Old but awesome Swedish jet
F/A-18 Hornet - F/A-18 Interceptor on Amiga
F-14 Tomcat - The Top Gun plane
AV-8B Harrier - Can hover and take off without runway

Pretty please, Microsoft

ZywyPL

Banned
I'm positively surprised how user-friendly they really made this sim (minus the god-awful interface), every novice can easily set off a course, take off and enjoy the flight, it's basically dummy-proof, whereas on PC I wouldn't be able to even drive the plane on the runaway, let alone take off... And I have to say, I haven't played such a relaxing title since Flower on PS3.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm one of the few people here who should "play" this Game. I'm captain on A320 since 2017, and wanna fly again virtually.
Day One on XSX. My last real flight was Damman-Lahore.

I don't know if anyone already told you but there's a good and free open source A320 on the marketplace, the Flybywire's A320neo (I think they call the project "A32NX")

Here's a guy using it in the newest version of MSFS2020:

BigLee74

There are definitely some ugly performance issues on the XSX. Laggy menus, and unnecessary stuttering (especially on landing and panning camera around the plane).

But for the most part it’s fine, and it’s a nice feeling just flying around places, finding an airport, and then trying to land it properly.

Years of casual flying games have ruined the rudder controls for me though. I find it nearly impossible to make small adjustments to the plane alignment without sending it flapping about like a flappy thing.

Caio

I don't know if anyone already told you but there's a good and free open source A320 on the marketplace, the Flybywire's A320neo (I think they call the project "A32NX")

Here's a guy using it in the newest version of MSFS2020:

Thanks mate. That's great. I did my A320 type rating in Tolouse, in 2012. I hated that french istructor at FFS training, he was a true idiot... by the way, the final check was great, with a british TRE.

Look at my first flight simulator, Sierra Pro Pilot, I loved it, I used it a lot during my Private and Commercial courses, what a memory :D

nemiroff

Gold Member
Thanks mate. That's great. I did my A320 type rating in Tolouse, in 2012. I hated that french istructor at FFS training, he was a true idiot... by the way, the final check was great, with a british TRE.

Look at my first flight simulator, Sierra Pro Pilot, I loved it, I used it a lot during my Private and Commercial courses, what a memory :D

Nice. With how things are with the effing pandemic and all, are you one of the few lucky ones to have been able to keep flying?

Hehe, I think I remember seeing Sierra Pro Pilot at the time, but I don't think I played it.

Not for the casuals. This is study level DLC. But free.

True. Anyway, speaking of not for casuals: The supposedly best A320 is coming; Fenix Simulations A320. It looks fantastic.

V28u0UL.png

Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Screenshot-2021.07.12-05.49.49.18-1-1024x576.png

Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Screenshot-2021.07.12-05.51.44.07-1024x576.png

Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Screenshot-2021.07.12-05.19.15.15-1024x576.png

6hHZQtN.png

Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Screenshot-2021.07.12-05.10.35.88-1024x576.png

Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Screenshot-2021.07.12-05.25.40.75-1024x576.png

NZQN-ANPOV3A-ND-1024x710.png

Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Screenshot-2021.07.12-05.21.27.36-1024x576.png

1-1024x704.png

Fenix A320 Alpha Demo: Flap HYD Degradation and LMV - YouTube
Fenix A320 Alpha Demo: Flight Control Degradation via HYD Failure - YouTube
Fenix A320 Alpha Demo: Brakes and HYD System Interaction - YouTube
Fenix A320 Alpha Demo: Heat Transfer via IDG Overheat - YouTube
Fenix A320 Alpha Demo: Engine Valve Simulation via ESS BUSS Failure - YouTube

Last edited:

Schmick

How's the MTX/DLC for this game?
How do you mean? Theres a ton of it. New planes, airports, scenery and even training. And sometimes discounted. Of course, you dont need any of it to enjoy the game.

Asobo offer free DLC too. So for example whole regions are updated. These are called World Updates. So far there have been 5. Asobo have said they plan to release, i think, 6 World updates a year.

shubik

How do you mean? Theres a ton of it. New planes, airports, scenery and even training. And sometimes discounted. Of course, you dont need any of it to enjoy the game.

Asobo offer free DLC too. So for example whole regions are updated. These are called World Updates. So far there have been 5. Asobo have said they plan to release, i think, 6 World updates a year.

Is the whole world accesible in the base game or are certain areas locked behind a DLC?

Caio

Nice. With how things are with the effing pandemic and all, are you one of the few lucky ones to have been able to keep flying?

Hehe, I think I remember seeing Sierra Pro Pilot at the time, but I don't think I played it.

True. Anyway, speaking of not for casuals: The supposedly best A320 is coming; Fenix Simulations A320. It looks fantastic.

V28u0UL.png

6hHZQtN.png

1-1024x704.png

I got a very nice Contract in 2018-2019, I was operating flights for Saudi Gulf, based in Damman, all local flights and flights to Pakistan. Quiet an amazing salary, but the quality of life was so so, very boring, just my beautiful Hotel, huge Malls and the desert, after a while I was becoming mad. I lost the job with the pandemic and now they called me again for a 12 months contract, starting from September. I will see, money is not everything. I will fly on the XSX for the time being :D

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

V28u0UL.png

6hHZQtN.png

1-1024x704.png

Heat Wave Thats Hot GIF by Paris Hilton

The Grand Canyon seems like a bit of a sightseeing cliche at times - you know, the one place everyone must see before they die. But in saying that, it really is spectacular. This might just tide me over until I can get down there for real.

51415577226_652e6428d7_o.jpg

And I’d sure like to know what’s the story with the other dude in my cockpit.

Fredrik

It's an absolute pleasure to play this, but it's not what I would consider a game, amazing though either way.
I think it’s absolutely wonderful, can’t believe I’ve been sleeping on this genre for 30 years, last flight sim I played was on the Amiga. But I think it’ll be a much better game after the race and Top Gun update. That’ll be my jump in point for a flightstick, still only playing with a controller right now.

CamHostage

I'm curious to see how that's going to work out? It's a very impressive engine, but jets and perhaps dogfighting is a different project to put FS through, so this might be a new kind of test for how this baby flies. There are some jets in FS (and the Red Bull stunt planes,) but hopefully they really do some special work with this pack to make a fun DLC beyond the game's normal abilities. So far, it seems like it's mainly a plane pack (there is no further info of what's in the pack, correct?,) but it'd be cool if it had some specific challenges to complete.

Last edited:
Top Bottom