• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flight Sim '21 (Xbox) Review Thread

Markio128

Been stuck at 100% loaded on the Africa screen for like 10 minutes, after selecting my difficulty and settings.

Hmmm.. do I wait or reboot?
Came to ask the same question. There is a blue line at the foot of the screen that is full to capacity. And that ditty is driving me insane haha. Do. Something. Please.

JLB

Banned
Guys, this shit is addicting. I didn't really think twice about it last summer when I downloaded it on PC...but holy fuck it blew me away. I was addicted to being able to go anywhere in the world to sight see, I couldn't stop. I didn't care about learning how to fly or anything like that, I just wanted to explore the world. It's such a chill game, too. Of course, some of my friends tried it and lasted 5 minutes before they NOPED out, lol. It really is something I forced myself to stop playing on PC because I knew it was coming to console and I wanted to see it in all it's glory on the big screen. I'm fucking giddy.

tenor.gif

im a google street view player fanboy, so this thing is going to be my new drug.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Where the hell are the reviews?
Seems to be an intact port, so they will probably just leave their original reviews.

PC version has a 91 on Metacritic.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
OMG I was able to find my beautiful apartment building! Unfortunately right after finding it I promptly crashed 1 block up the street 🤣😂🤣

I totally suck at flying, but this is SO damn cool and spectacularly beautiful. Now I'm checking out Botswana and I just now successfully crashed in the Okavango Delta. I think I have mastered the art of crashing in this game. 🤣🤣🤣

My father took several photo safaris in Botswana and always brought back the most amazing pictures, sadly he died before we got to take a trip there together. Thanks to MS FS2020, I'm able to take a virtual trip there.

OMG I was able to find my beautiful apartment building! Unfortunately right after finding it I promptly crashed 1 block up the street 🤣😂🤣

I totally suck at flying, but this is SO damn cool and spectacularly beautiful. Now I'm checking out Botswana and I just now successfully crashed in the Okavango Delta. I think I have mastered the art of crashing in this game. 🤣🤣🤣

My father took several photo safaris in Botswana and always brought back the most amazing pictures, sadly he died before we got to take a trip there together. Thanks to MS FS2020, I'm able to take a virtual trip there.

Make sure you use the "pause flight" feature, you can then use the drone camera to take fancy pictures near your house or wherever while your plane is suspended in the air

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Thank you!

I had no idea I could do that. I'm going to explore Botswana and other locations in Africa for a while then I'll try getting a photo of my building later today or tomorrow.

Calverz

Troubleshooting guide:
If stuck on “updating” screen with spinning circle=wait a min. Press guide button. Goto home. Go back to flight sim, will hopefully then see blue loading bar.
If on menu but can’t seem to select things etc=plug in any usb mouse.

Fredrik

Nooo! Youngest one is finally asleep and I was just about to jump into the cockpit, and then there is a 27GB update 😞

Last edited:

Roberts

After I managed to get into the game, my only plan was to fly over my building and that’s it. Ended up flying around cities I visited in the past (SF, NY, Paris, Copenhagen) for two hours straight. It’s quite an experience and I’m sure I will return to the game once in a while whenever I get the urge to travel.

It has an occasional graphics glitch, traffic density in the cities is basically non-exsitant, and I had to get used to flying in 30fps, but, man, what a technical achievement.

elliot5

Game runs very smoothly and the beginning flight in Naples was breathtaking. Can't wait to play around with it some more later today.

Stuart360

Uninstalled the game as it wouldnt install the update (saying i didnt have enough space, when i had 90gb spare). Now trying too install the game again at a download speed of 0.3mb/sec.

Dem launch day problems sigh. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Markio128

Managed a good couple of hours now. Completed a bit of training, then had a fly around the Manchester area to accomplish the necessary ‘find my house’. I found the controls to be pretty easy to get used to, but then I have only flown a light plane. I’m not sure what you can do that is ’gamey’ like missions, or jobs, but it is certainly a nice looking game. I reckon that to get the most out of it, you need to set yourself targets to achieve, otherwise you could get bored pretty quickly once the initial honeymoon period is over.

WTF is wrong with navigating through the menus with the controller???
What the hell, I've just spent 20 minutes desperately trying to go in the actual game, whether through the "Discovery flights" which doesn't allow me to select a location, or through the "World Map" which doesn't allow me to write to departure/destination.

Ok, as it is, no matter what menu I go in, there's no way for me to actually get into the real game. I'm stuck in menus that don't allow me to select things. I'm really fuming now. I guess I'm the unlucky one, since it seems a lot of people claim to have played the game.

Greggy

Managed a good couple of hours now. Completed a bit of training, then had a fly around the Manchester area to accomplish the necessary ‘find my house’. I found the controls to be pretty easy to get used to, but then I have only flown a light plane. I’m not sure what you can do that is ’gamey’ like missions, or jobs, but it is certainly a nice looking game. I reckon that to get the most out of it, you need to set yourself targets to achieve, otherwise you could get bored pretty quickly once the initial honeymoon period is over.
There are landing challenges and other activities

Markio128

There are landing challenges and other activities
It seems fairly barebones as an actual game, but I can live with that for now. There are plenty of training missions to help get used to the controls and practice landing and taking off. I do hope that they add a similar type of structure as Euro Truck, where you can run a business and earn money, by doing deliveries, at some point in the future. I can’t imagine it would take too much work now that the foundation is there.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I should probably be marveling at how great a flight sim this is, with all of the map data streaming, physics, real time weather calculations, etc, but instead, I just want to do these things:
  1. Find my house (and potentially crash into it)
  2. Fly under a bridge (Golden Gate?)
  3. Fly into a volcano
  4. Fly over (or crash into) Mt. Everest
  5. Land safely at Shinjuku crossing in Tokyo with a jumbo airliner

It seems fairly barebones as an actual game, but I can live with that for now. There are plenty of training missions to help get used to the controls and practice landing and taking off. I do hope that they add a similar type of structure as Euro Truck, where you can run a business and earn money, by doing deliveries, at some point in the future. I can’t imagine it would take too much work now that the foundation is there.
they could also add NPC interactions and cut scenes to explore Flight Crew characters: their lives, their loves and their ambitions.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
WTF is wrong with navigating through the menus with the controller???
What the hell, I've just spent 20 minutes desperately trying to go in the actual game, whether through the "Discovery flights" which doesn't allow me to select a location, or through the "World Map" which doesn't allow me to write to departure/destination.
Is it possible you might be having this issue?
  • Unable to navigate through some of the menus due to freezing or the cursor jumps around and does not interact with menu elements.
    • Workaround:
      • Stop or pause any downloading content, restarting the game, connecting a USB mouse, and even opening the Xbox Guide and closing it again
Worth a try.

Larogue

Although I already have it on PC since day one, I found it way more relaxing and enjoyable to play with a controller on my Xbox SX.

Also they really nailed it with the graphics/resolution and smoothness combo. It just magnificent.

Definitely gonna be my go-to game for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Termite

Just played it for the first time. Absolutely fucking magical.

Only issue is I couldn't figure out
a) Which airport I had chosen to land at (especially in the Discovery Giza flight - no indication of where to land), and
b) Once I figured it out and landed and taxi'd to the terminal, I couldn't figure out how to tell the game "Yo, flights over, give me that exp so I can unlock Flaming Buster Sword lvl 3" or whatever

Seriously though how do you end a flight after landing?

EDIT: Also, is there any way to tell when the Bing satellite imagery was taken? Because I notice some houses that were built about 3-4 years ago near mine were empty plots while flying - and same on bing maps. So I'd love to know how old they are.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This game doesn't seem to hold the 30fps on XSX for me. Panning the camera seems to be pretty juddery.
Thats the big drawback about 30 fps for games with camera panning. Some games like Destiny at 30 fps seemed ok. Others can be trainwreck choppy with desperation act of jamming in motion blur.

I'm going to test the game after dinner on Series X.

Stuart360

a) Which airport I had chosen to land at (especially in the Discovery Giza flight - no indication of where to land), and
b) Once I figured it out and landed and taxi'd to the terminal, I couldn't figure out how to tell the game "Yo, flights over, give me that exp so I can unlock Flaming Buster Sword lvl 3" or whatever

EDIT: Also, is there any way to tell when the Bing satellite imagery was taken? Because I notice some houses that were built about 3-4 years ago near mine were empty plots while flying - and same on bing maps. So I'd love to know how old they are.
Just so you know, you dont actually have to set a destination. You can just pick an airport to start from then take off and fly around exploring etc.

I take it you are doing the tests?

Last edited:

Markio128

I got a prompt to tune the radio to gain a taxi location, but I couldn’t figure it out.

Top Bottom