• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flight Sim '21 (Xbox) Review Thread

Termite

Just so you know, you dont actually have to set a destination. You can just pick an airport to start from then take off and fly around exploring etc.

I take it you are doing the tests?
Nah, my first flight I wanted to fly over my house (of course) so I did a free flight and chose my local airport for departure and the closest airstrip nearby for landing.

Once in the air I had no way of telling where that airstrip was - it wasn't marked but other airstrips were. Maybe I just chose a seriously niche strip, but it was an option on the world map so I thought it'd show up.

Second flight was a discovery flight around the pyramids, again I wasn't sure what to do once I was done sightseeing - maybe you're just supposed to quit to menu?

The visuals are fucking absurd. If you go below 500 feet and look straight down from above the plane, you can see the low-res satellite nature of some of it. But at almost all other times the illusion that you're just flying around the real world is unreal.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Nah, my first flight I wanted to fly over my house (of course) so I did a free flight and chose my local airport for departure and the closest airstrip nearby for landing.

Once in the air I had no way of telling where that airstrip was - it wasn't marked but other airstrips were. Maybe I just chose a seriously niche strip, but it was an option on the world map so I thought it'd show up.

Second flight was a discovery flight around the pyramids, again I wasn't sure what to do once I was done sightseeing - maybe you're just supposed to quit to menu?
Oh i get you. Yeah just quit to the menu when you have had enough.

Fredrik

Finally got up in the air, flew over my house, not overly detailed tbh but it was still insanely satisfying, cruised over the city awhile and looked at familiar places, finally took her down nice and easy on the airport and didn’t know how to stop the plane and ran off the runway and parked in the water. Good day.

c2jmmF0.jpg

Last edited:

PerfectDark

Banned
Been gaming since the first Nintendo. Star Wars Galaxies was the most unique game I ever played. Flight Simulator on Xbox right now just took the crown. This game is magic in a bottle.

I flew a plane from my local Airport trying to find my house. Found my kids schools followed the road to my subdivision and crashed into my driveway of my house which was my house from the 2 story to the 3 car garage with all my neighbors. Flew to my city I grew up in and my parents houses and every building, road, even the local mini golf course I could see all 18 holes.

I am blown away. The only thing I could ask for would be for plane and world destruction when you crash.

Turn the AI pilot on? No need to control the entire flight.
Or learn how to use the auto pilot. It takes some skill to set it up but then you can kick back and relax (sort of).

When I played last year I learned how to fly IFR where you set the autopilot and off you go. It's awesome as it's how they actually do it. No need for AI. Might as well just watch a YouTube video of it.

I probably played this for 6 or 7 hours today. A few issues with the Flight Training when I first booted it up this morning, but otherwise an incredible experience. And as long you are at 1000+ft or so I‘ve found it to run at what feels like 60fps on my LGCX. I mostly spent my time exploring the special places I’ve lived or visited in my life. Lots of screenshots and video. And there is a whole planet to explore. And I think I want to explore the deeper aspects of this sim.

This will NEVER leave my Xbox SSD.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I probably played this for 6 or 7 hours today. A few issues with the Flight Training when I first booted it up this morning, but otherwise an incredible experience. And as long you are at 1000+ft or so I‘ve found it to run at what feels like 60fps on my LGCX. I mostly spent my time exploring the special places I’ve lived or visited in my life. Lots of screenshots and video. And there is a whole planet to explore. And I think I want to explore the deeper aspects of this sim.

This will NEVER leave my Xbox SSD.

I was the same last night, cant get over how good it runs on the CX with vrr. I thought there would be crazy flickering with it going around 30fps and above but it ran pretty much flawlessly. I feel the flickering issue was way overhyped or somehow LG have made strides in reducing it so it is barely noticeable outside of loading screens where the frame rate tanks to low sub 10 FPS.

this Thing is so chill and absolutely gorgeous.

Yams

Has anyone dug into the controller setting yet? Any tips for a smoother flight experience?
Dropping the left stick sensitivity down helped me quite a bit. Properly setting the trim whenever increases or decreases in speed or altitude occur also helps avoid constant readjustment.

mrmeh

I tried this briefly on pc but there's allot to be said for chilling on the sofa in front a big OLED. Absolutely awesome experience.

Remember gentle movements, the ICON A5 is very forgiving if your having trouble with other planes and I have had no issues with using control pad.

the_master

Performance mode.
I got used to that option and now it is very annoying to have to play at 30fps.
I played just a couple tutorials and it feels like a straight port from PC (you can't even close a menu window with "B" you have to press the "X")

Markio128

Having spent a few hours on it last night, I really enjoyed taking a few light planes out for a spin in various locations - went for a random flight over Austin, which was very pleasant. It was much easier than I thought it would be to pick up and i’ve already made a couple a decent landings at airports. Looking forward to getting more time with it later.

Fredrik

This game is really something else. Haven’t been this impressed by a game since I don’t know when. Are they using Google maps or what’s the deal? I found my summer place out in the coast of nowhere northern Sweden, could even see specific points where there are sand and shallow water near the beach.

However I also saw an historical, iconic, tall and several hundred year old church in my city which was a flat warehouse or something here. Oops.

Schmick

This game is really something else. Haven’t been this impressed by a game since I don’t know when. Are they using Google maps or what’s the deal? I found my summer place out in the coast of nowhere northern Sweden, could even see specific points where there are sand and shallow water near the beach.

However I also saw an historical, iconic, tall and several hundred year old church in my city which was a flat warehouse or something here. Oops.
Bing maps is used.

Unfortunately building will be misrepresented as AI is used to decipher the most appropriate building model. Did you hear about the Buckingham Palace issue? The AI can and will get it wrong. Buckingham Palace however was fixed with the latest World Update 3 (UK). Its very possible the church could be fixed in the future via a World Update. Photogrammetry is one solution. Adding more building models for the AI to have access to is another.

wolywood

Haven't had time to do much yet but take a discovery flight over Rio and do some of the training modules but I'm just as blown away as every else so far. Wish there was some more variety with the game music though, the menu theme sounds like the on hold version of "I Gotta Feeling".

reinking

Gold Member
I might need to stick to playing on PC sitting at the desk. Tried it on the Series X and fell asleep with controller in hand.

Fredrik

Bing maps is used.

Unfortunately building will be misrepresented as AI is used to decipher the most appropriate building model. Did you hear about the Buckingham Palace issue? The AI can and will get it wrong. Buckingham Palace however was fixed with the latest World Update 3 (UK). Its very possible the church could be fixed in the future via a World Update. Photogrammetry is one solution. Adding more building models for the AI to have access to is another.
They’ve already updated the nordic region so I think they’re done here.

But the countryside where there are no tall buildings irl anyway looks really nice, and the shore line is superb! Honestly I’m just glad the this part of the world is even in the game. Northern Sweden is marginalised even within Sweden, everything is so focused to a handfull of big cities, 1/3 of the country area holds like 90% of the people.

Anyway, my summer place, the bay to the right, there is a cabin there irl but here it’s just trees. Still awesome. Been sending screens to my relatives, some thought I had been flying for real 😅

E5ilzQZ.png

Schmick

They’ve already updated the nordic region so I think they’re done here.

But the countryside where there are no tall buildings irl anyway looks really nice, and the shore line is superb! Honestly I’m just glad the this part of the world is even in the game. Northern Sweden is marginalised even within Sweden, everything is so focused to a handfull of big cities, 1/3 of the country area holds like 90% of the people.

Anyway, my summer place, the bay to the right, there is a cabin there irl but here it’s just trees. Still awesome. Been sending screens to my relatives, some thought I had been flying for real 😅

E5ilzQZ.png
Asobo have said that they will revisit regions. That said.... for Sweden... that could be a while.

elliot5

Flew over my childhood house and my Dad's new place. Was going to fly over my other half of the family's neighborhood but it seemed to not want to load in. Then work started so yeeee

kriolo

Just wanted to say hello back!! I visited Italy for the first time in 2019. Once i flew over my house outside of Washington DC, my next stop was Napoli. It brought back so many great memories of your beautiful country. Next stop, Sorrento, Capri, Positano and Rome!!!
Hahah not from Italy! Just saying hello from there because this game is pure magic.we travel to Italy in 2019 also and so many memories are back

I’ve been flying all over the place. Haven’t landed yet though. I did go back and do some of the Flight Training. Something really weird going on the the “Learn the flight controls” tutorial. The instructor would get “stuck” after every set of instructions and I would just be sitting there for her to continue. But nothing. I figured out that by going out to the main menu and then back into the training session she would be prodded into her next set of instructions. Finally got through it, by bouncing in out of the menu. Thankfully, the “first flight” tutorial after than one worked better.

Loved the DF video on Flight Sim. Pretty much confirmed my experience playing this on my LGCX….VRR makes this feel like a 60+FPS game, not a 30FPS game.

Asobo, you deserve all the accolades you are getting. 👍

StormCell

Finally got up in the air, flew over my house, not overly detailed tbh but it was still insanely satisfying, cruised over the city awhile and looked at familiar places, finally took her down nice and easy on the airport and didn’t know how to stop the plane and ran off the runway and parked in the water. Good day.

c2jmmF0.jpg

Yeah, there are some things they could, or even should, fix. I did the same thing you did in that I immediately picked a nearby airport (this one is by Seibold on Lake Guntersville) and immediately flew over the highway bridge that crosses the lake. Everything looked awesome until I noticed that the cars weren't driving across the bridge but under it. I totally get why this would happen given the nature of the satellite imagery versus actual 3D objects that they've created. It's a minor visual issue. Still, some amount of AI recognizing bridges and setting the surface layer the cars are to drive across would go a long way. I mean, I wouldn't care if the cars drove over the top of the supports of the bridge as long as they're not driving across the water. lol

Otherwise, had an amazing time flying around North Alabama. Will be flying over Spokane and North Idaho later today (in Flight Simulator of course).

SquillieDee

Hahah not from Italy! Just saying hello from there because this game is pure magic.we travel to Italy in 2019 also and so many memories are back
ahhhhh, that makes sense. well, at least you saw it in person also, that place is stunning!! My next plan is to visit the other places I have visited on earth and the places I plan to travel next. This game is great for folks to enjoy traveling!!

Fredrik

Yeah, there are some things they could, or even should, fix. I did the same thing you did in that I immediately picked a nearby airport (this one is by Seibold on Lake Guntersville) and immediately flew over the highway bridge that crosses the lake. Everything looked awesome until I noticed that the cars weren't driving across the bridge but under it. I totally get why this would happen given the nature of the satellite imagery versus actual 3D objects that they've created. It's a minor visual issue. Still, some amount of AI recognizing bridges and setting the surface layer the cars are to drive across would go a long way. I mean, I wouldn't care if the cars drove over the top of the supports of the bridge as long as they're not driving across the water. lol

Otherwise, had an amazing time flying around North Alabama. Will be flying over Spokane and North Idaho later today (in Flight Simulator of course).
Yeah I saw some cut off roads, cars popping in and out and driving where you’re not allowed to drive etc, plus the flattened church I mentioned.

But I don’t really care. It’s a sore thumb but it feels like complaining about clipping in BOTW. The game is legit awesome, better than I expected, and I really appreciate that they’ve tried to make it accessible for both noobs and experienced sim gamers.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
So has anyone had any crashes on Xbox?

I have had shit tons of crashes in the game but none with my console. I feel lucky that I haven't experienced any problems with the game at all other than sucking at flying.

There is something addicting about this game. I anticipated I would try to find my building, maybe checkout downtown LA a bit and be done with it in an hour. I found my building right away and seven hours later I was still flying (and crashing) all over Africa.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I have had shit tons of crashes in the game but none with my console. I feel lucky that I haven't experienced any problems with the game at all other than sucking at flying.

There is something addicting about this game. I anticipated I would try to find my building, maybe checkout downtown LA a bit and be done with it in an hour. I found my building right away and seven hours later I was still flying (and crashing) all over Africa.
I haven't had a crash yet, but only put in around 3 hours so far.

Fredrik

I’ve already spent more time (and all of it enjoyable) fudding about on this than I have done on most ‘real’ games. 😁👍

So, well worth the money spent (which was almost literally nothing, as I got 3 years of Gamepass for a quid about 1.5 years ago).

This is a good addition to the Xbox.
Yeah it’s the perfect Gamepass game. They just put it there and let people try it, some will think it’s a snorefest after 5 minuter, others will have trouble turning it off, and the enthusiasts and high review scores will keep the hype going.
I’m thinking about investing in a flight stick. Imagine the Top Gun expansion later on! 🤩

I think it’s the greatest “chill out” game of all time. As long as you have the assists, use a simple plane, and don’t try to land I find it virtually devoid of any stress whatsoever.

And my previous problems with the tutorials were fixed with a console reboot. 😊

Top Bottom