• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT| Pumpin' Iron and Spittin' Blood.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
2022 was a fantastic year in the gym for me, 28 years since i first stepped in to the gym, 28! years, its in my dna, this year i will be shredded af. Don't care that much for size or strength now, as i am getting older its more about being in good shape. Light weight!

Late response but w/e

Proud of you man. I've been there couple times although no 28 years!

Lightweights are perfect for isolating muscles and using said muscle to do the work whereas with heavier weight other muscle groups will step in and help thus minimizing your intended muscle. (My english isn't the best so I hope you can follow me)

Like if you flex your biceps your forearm will lift right. That's my base because the bicep does the work. Slowly add weight while keeping that mentally was how I worked out.

Anyways blabla

Again much respect and keep on keeping on!

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yoga is great. To me, its a "2-fer." Get some exercise and good stretching (which is super important as we get older...like I am), but also a bit of that meditation/mindfulness stuff.

I tend to prefer the "hot yoga" that is more active rather than super slow restorative yoga, but its all good stuff. Its a good use of an hour.

I would love hot yoga.

I get the mindfulness aspect and that's my primary barrier because reasons.

But yeah makes sense and I fully agree

🔥🔥🔥

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Went for a walk today, about an hour. Had a good calves session Thursday so now they're crying haha.

Also, and quite cool:
Did some grocery shopping before heading home and my backpack was quite heavy. Normally it took a couple minutes for my back to start aching (?) but now no issues at all. Really cool to notice your gym progress in such a context =)

Edit: got an update on my shinguards order. Feb 8th. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Humblebrag time 🕰

My finest hour.

AYE05Ms.jpg

Was looking through old photo's. Very surreal..

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Btw i got the shoulder press down. With the hip trust and squeezing my traps.

Still a lot to think about: flex quads and abs, hip trust. Ahh, next month I'll be on autopilot.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
5×5 80kg deadlift
1×5 100kg deadlift (a Little rest between reps for my left hand grip)

5 x 5 65kg squats.
1 x 1 70kg

Keep progressing but yeah. =/

Last edited:
Ugh. I have to say that I seem to have hit a bit of a wall in 2023. It’s been an absolutely amazing 2021 and 2022 from a fitness/bodybuilding/weight loss perspective for me and I just really hit a brick wall in 2023. Just have been completely eating like shit, not hitting the gym, not exercising. I have fallen back into the bad habits that led me to get into the sorry physical state I got into several years ago that took me 2 years to reverse. It’s been a combination of going back to work 5 days a week after WFH, not getting enough sleep, some non trivial family issues at home. Ugh. Just been a lot and still trying to figure out the best way to reset myself mentally and get back on track.
Not sure really. Just a lot of bad streams coming together at once and can’t seem to get out. I know the answer is just to get moving. Just string together small wins. Just show up. Do something. Ugh.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Ugh. I have to say that I seem to have hit a bit of a wall in 2023. It’s been an absolutely amazing 2021 and 2022 from a fitness/bodybuilding/weight loss perspective for me and I just really hit a brick wall in 2023. Just have been completely eating like shit, not hitting the gym, not exercising. I have fallen back into the bad habits that led me to get into the sorry physical state I got into several years ago that took me 2 years to reverse. It’s been a combination of going back to work 5 days a week after WFH, not getting enough sleep, some non trivial family issues at home. Ugh. Just been a lot and still trying to figure out the best way to reset myself mentally and get back on track.
Not sure really. Just a lot of bad streams coming together at once and can’t seem to get out. I know the answer is just to get moving. Just string together small wins. Just show up. Do something. Ugh.

That's indeed the answer. Been there many times my man. It's really really hard to take that first step again. My advice? Just go and walk around and do a little bit of this and that and after some time you've grown accustomed again, notice some progress which will motivate you and before you know it your falling asleep thinking about your last and next session.

That first step though, just go do some cardio or something. You come home with a good feeling and the second step will be much easier. And so forth.

With that said. That's how I approached it.

Food wise as well. Slowly but surely cut stuff out and add (good) stuff in. Sure it depends on the person. Well, in the end my point is dont be to hard on yourself and realize there's a transition phase.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Also, at last:

RQZh7B1.jpg
z9ZALUZ.jpg

There are slight differences so I'll be wearing them tonight around the house to see which one I'll keep

The left one feels more flexible and feels like 2mm? thinner but the material is more rough/more friction (?)

The right one feels a bit thicker (last longer?) And is more smooth. They were both the same price.

I'll sleep on it.

(No, no with it 🤪 )

Shame about the dumbass logos lmao

Last edited:
That's indeed the answer. Been there many times my man. It's really really hard to take that first step again. My advice? Just go and walk around and do a little bit of this and that and after some time you've grown accustomed again, notice some progress which will motivate you and before you know it your falling asleep thinking about your last and next session.

That first step though, just go do some cardio or something. You come home with a good feeling and the second step will be much easier. And so forth.

With that said. That's how I approached it.

Food wise as well. Slowly but surely cut stuff out and add (good) stuff in. Sure it depends on the person. Well, in the end my point is dont be to hard on yourself and realize there's a transition phase.
I hear yah. Ty. Just trying to get out of the doom loop on several levels. I really need to focus on the physical activity/working out. It’s been the one thing that has sort of kept me in reality for the past few years.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I hear yah. Ty. Just trying to get out of the doom loop on several levels. I really need to focus on the physical activity/working out. It’s been the one thing that has sort of kept me in reality for the past few years.

Yw. Mate. Like I mentioned I can relate so well with what you said although within very different circumstances I most definitely assume.

You do you man. Don't force yourself. Just a little kick in the butt will suffice 😁

Your last sentence really resonates and is very true. Hey at least you're talking about it which makes it more concrete rather than an abstract mindthingy..

👊🏼👊🏼👊🏼👊🏼

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
Man, I'm sorry to hear this. You have already identified the problem and what you need to do to fix it.

As you said. Start small. Get that small win. Maybe a 20 minute full body work out (if you are a gym guy). Or a 20 minute light run or bike ride (if you are a cardio guy). Just something you enjoy doing. I'm sure it will make you feel amazing not only from a workout perspective, but clearing out your mind from all of the issues you are dealing with.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
So I made my decision regarding which shinguard to keep. Now to find out how to return the other one. Will be trying them out monday so yay! Also noticed some callus forming on my hands. Shoulder is doing much much better. Back pain almost gone. Cool stuff all around.

Raven117 Raven117 Still satisfied with your socks?

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
So I made my decision regarding which shinguard to keep. Now to find out how to return the other one. Will be trying them out monday so yay! Also noticed some callus forming on my hands. Shoulder is doing much much better. Back pain almost gone. Cool stuff all around.

Raven117 Raven117 Still satisfied with your socks?
It definitely feels awesome when the “newness” of lifting wears off and you start to actually feel stronger. (Like your back pain). I’ve had a strong few weeks.

I am! They work great! Thanks for checking in!

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Nice cock root there.

Anybody use creatine? I'm a little nervous about using it since it can cause hair loss apparently. I don't have a ton to begin with, so I was wondering how you guys responded.

Glad you noticed.

But wtf I saw that one dude talk about creatine yesterday on youtube.. and yeah the hairloss aspect is real but random per person. I used to use it back in the day. But not really that interested atm. Maybe a later date.

Lemme look up the vid...

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It definitely feels awesome when the “newness” of lifting wears off and you start to actually feel stronger. (Like your back pain). I’ve had a strong few weeks.

I am! They work great! Thanks for checking in!

Yeah it's certainly a bit different from how I used to train.

Good to hear, same here!

Glad to hear man! I'll be testing mine out for the first time tomorrow!!!

Hi all, new to the thread. Going for a morning back + triceps workout in a few.

Hi back! Hope you had a good session =)

Managed to get back to the gym yesterday and actually lift. So that’s good. Overdid bench a little, chest is sore today. But it feels great.

Brother.... RESPECT

arnold schwarzenegger predator GIF

Anybody use creatine? I'm a little nervous about using it since it can cause hair loss apparently. I don't have a ton to begin with, so I was wondering how you guys responded.
Creatine is probably the most thoroughly researched weightlifting supplement in the world. It works, period. Unless you are in late stage kidney failure its 100% safe. It will not cause hair loss. Just get cheap bulk creatine monohydrate, don't bother with any stupid formulations. Just plain creatine monohydrate, a teaspoon a day.

This is what I use, $40 should last you a year.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E9M4XEE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
Nice cock root there.

Creatine may contribute to hair loss by raising DHT.

If you are genetically predisposed to hair loss then it might potentially cause hair loss. You could take saw palmetto - a weak DHT inhibitor - to help negate this.

Nearly every dude in my family is bald. I have escaped it so far but now that I am in my 30s, my hair is definitely not as thick as it used to be. I've been using creatine for 6 months. :\

Last edited:

If you are genetically predisposed to hair loss then it might potentially cause hair loss. You could take saw palmetto - a weak DHT inhibitor - to help negate this.

Nearly every dude in my family is bald. I have escaped it so far but now that I am in my 30s, my hair is definitely not as thick as it used to be. I've been using creatine for 6 months. :\

The vast majority of speculation regarding the relationship between creatine supplementation and hair loss/baldness stems from a single study by van der Merwe et al. [61] where college-aged male rugby players who supplemented with creatine (25 g/day for 7 days, followed by 5 g/day thereafter for an additional 14 days) experienced an increase in serum dihydrotestosterone (DHT) concentrations over time.

While it is possible that creatine supplementation upregulated 5-alpha-reductase activity in these males (potentially leading to increased formation of DHT), no study has reported hair loss/baldness in humans.

To date, 12 other studies have investigated the effects of creatine supplementation (i.e. doses ranging from 3-25 g/day for 6 days to 12 weeks) on testosterone. Two studies reported small, physiologically insignificant increases in total testosterone after six and seven days of supplementation [65, 66], while the remaining ten studies reported no change in testosterone concentrations. In five of these studies [67,68,69,70,71], free testosterone, which the body uses to produce DHT, was also measured and no increases were found.

In summary, the current body of evidence does not indicate that creatine supplementation increases total testosterone, free testosterone, DHT or causes hair loss/baldness.

OZ9000

Banned

The vast majority of speculation regarding the relationship between creatine supplementation and hair loss/baldness stems from a single study by van der Merwe et al. [61] where college-aged male rugby players who supplemented with creatine (25 g/day for 7 days, followed by 5 g/day thereafter for an additional 14 days) experienced an increase in serum dihydrotestosterone (DHT) concentrations over time.

While it is possible that creatine supplementation upregulated 5-alpha-reductase activity in these males (potentially leading to increased formation of DHT), no study has reported hair loss/baldness in humans.

To date, 12 other studies have investigated the effects of creatine supplementation (i.e. doses ranging from 3-25 g/day for 6 days to 12 weeks) on testosterone. Two studies reported small, physiologically insignificant increases in total testosterone after six and seven days of supplementation [65, 66], while the remaining ten studies reported no change in testosterone concentrations. In five of these studies [67,68,69,70,71], free testosterone, which the body uses to produce DHT, was also measured and no increases were found.
The study by van der Merwe indicates creatine results in increased DHT.

I may test this out myself by measuring my DHT without and with creatine.

The study by van der Merwe indicates creatine results in increased DHT.

I may test this out myself by measuring my DHT without and with creatine.
"It is important to note that the results of van der Merwe et al. [61] have not been replicated, and that intense resistance exercise itself can cause increases in these androgenic hormones."

Been a while since I said anything in here, I'm still going to the Gym regularly and my confidence has really shot up since I last posted. I've been on a couple of dates since, the last one going quite well I thought.

We've been keeping in contact and I'm hoping it'll lead further with her. Feel a lot happier in my own body and taking pictures of myself feels easier.

Been a while since I said anything in here, I'm still going to the Gym regularly and my confidence has really shot up since I last posted. I've been on a couple of dates since, the last one going quite well I thought.

We've been keeping in contact and I'm hoping it'll lead further with her. Feel a lot happier in my own body and taking pictures of myself feels easier.
Stick with it brother! I hope the girl works out for you!

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Good to hear man. 👊🏼

Next to having a very goodsession today I also got a great compliment when talking to a imo very cute woman (in the gym) which I had some conversations with a couple months ago.
Timing couldn't have been better.

Feelsgoodman.gif

Edit: did calves day before yesterday. Last night my cat woke me up for food. And I had to walk like a robot haha

Good thing I bought that massage gun. It has been a gift from the gods.

My left shoulder (infraspinatus not working) issue is also going very well. So much progress.

Easy does it

😁

Last edited:

My son is 13 and dead on 6 foot now and takes a twice a week and smaller than recommended dosage of creatine, he also works out a number of times per week. He's a keen bballer and really finding himself athletically on the court already. I've been reading a lot about its affects on younger athletes and I mitigate it with far less frequency and dosage for now. He's been on/off creatine for 6-9 months too. Nothing adverse has been seen at all, there is a shitload of USA kids taking this stuff for college basketball and NFL etc.

I've dropped almost all the weight I wanted in a bit over 4.5 months, I'm heading back to the (home) gym and it will be my first creatine run for myself. My dad went bald around 65ish, as did his dad and my mum's dad. My hair is still there in full now at mid forties.

I'll drop a note here if my shit starts to thin or fall out mate. Wish us all luck.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
My son is 13 and dead on 6 foot now and takes a twice a week and smaller than recommended dosage of creatine, he also works out a number of times per week. He's a keen bballer and really finding himself athletically on the court already. I've been reading a lot about its affects on younger athletes and I mitigate it with far less frequency and dosage for now. He's been on/off creatine for 6-9 months too. Nothing adverse has been seen at all, there is a shitload of USA kids taking this stuff for college basketball and NFL etc.

I've dropped almost all the weight I wanted in a bit over 4.5 months, I'm heading back to the (home) gym and it will be my first creatine run for myself. My dad went bald around 65ish, as did his dad and my mum's dad. My hair is still there in full now at mid forties.

I'll drop a note here if my shit starts to thin or fall out mate. Wish us all luck.
You should be fine. Besides it was only one study which suggested it raised DHT.

Worth a watch.

Raven117

Gold Member
Yeah, I don't do creatine. I have no idea about the safety of it or what have you. I just eat a lot of protein, try and get over maintenace (which I have found is MUCH lower than the online calculator says it is), and go for it. I don't have bit time asperations for all of this. I would like to get a little stronger, get a little bigger, then cut to get a little leaner. Mostly for health than asthetic purposes.

Last edited:

Tazzu

Hey guys, dropping by to ask some questions!

Just for some background, the last 2.5 years have been really difficult for me and I have been on an antidepressant for 1.5 years of it. The depression/anxiety has done a lot to my body and energy levels and I am currently on Venlafaxine/Effexor to manage it. With or without the antidepressant, I am tired/weak/lethargic. Fortunately the last four months I have started working again (though part time) and my energy levels have been slowly going back up. It is still far from perfect, a day of work makes me sleep a lot that night but it is a lot better than when I started. Back then, I would be sick for a day or two after a single shift. Basically there are a lot of obstacles in life right now which I am trying to fix, until I do so I can't take any steps forward in my life (education, work, marriage, etc.) However in the meantime I need to the best I and fixing my health is a big part of it.

So with that out of the way, my main goal in working out is to get bigger, stronger and more energetic. A workout does wonders for my mood and energy levels so those are nice extras too. I came here some months back and got great advice but because I only just started working, I wasn't able to stay consistent but that I hope that is going to change.

First question is nutrition. I generally do a full body workout three times a week (bicep and tricep cable curls, bench, overhead press, and the sitting down squatting machine for legs). The first problem is (though less now) is that after my workout, I sleep like a log that night. You may have noticed I am only doing 5 exercises but that is only too not overwork myself. In fact I can do more with little trouble in the gym but afterwards it hits me like a tonne of bricks. I can even tack on some cardio and complete it with no problem. But yes, getting to the question how important is my diet as someone early in their training? I have had to deal with plateaus and as mentioned the energy levels the day after. I also have a scoop of protein after workout.

The other question is regarding plateaus. I have been following progressive overload to increase my general strength and it is taking a lot of tweaking to get it just right. It is taking more work still but there is progress nonetheless. How much is nutrition affecting me growth, in the light of the fact that I am a beginner.

Generally though since I started working I have shed some fat and after putting into practise PO, I have started to fill out. More importantly, the actual size difference feels real rather than just a pump.

Thanks!

Raven117

Gold Member
Hey guys, dropping by to ask some questions!

Just for some background, the last 2.5 years have been really difficult for me and I have been on an antidepressant for 1.5 years of it. The depression/anxiety has done a lot to my body and energy levels and I am currently on Venlafaxine/Effexor to manage it. With or without the antidepressant, I am tired/weak/lethargic. Fortunately the last four months I have started working again (though part time) and my energy levels have been slowly going back up. It is still far from perfect, a day of work makes me sleep a lot that night but it is a lot better than when I started. Back then, I would be sick for a day or two after a single shift. Basically there are a lot of obstacles in life right now which I am trying to fix, until I do so I can't take any steps forward in my life (education, work, marriage, etc.) However in the meantime I need to the best I and fixing my health is a big part of it.

So with that out of the way, my main goal in working out is to get bigger, stronger and more energetic. A workout does wonders for my mood and energy levels so those are nice extras too. I came here some months back and got great advice but because I only just started working, I wasn't able to stay consistent but that I hope that is going to change.

First question is nutrition. I generally do a full body workout three times a week (bicep and tricep cable curls, bench, overhead press, and the sitting down squatting machine for legs). The first problem is (though less now) is that after my workout, I sleep like a log that night. You may have noticed I am only doing 5 exercises but that is only too not overwork myself. In fact I can do more with little trouble in the gym but afterwards it hits me like a tonne of bricks. I can even tack on some cardio and complete it with no problem. But yes, getting to the question how important is my diet as someone early in their training? I have had to deal with plateaus and as mentioned the energy levels the day after. I also have a scoop of protein after workout.

The other question is regarding plateaus. I have been following progressive overload to increase my general strength and it is taking a lot of tweaking to get it just right. It is taking more work still but there is progress nonetheless. How much is nutrition affecting me growth, in the light of the fact that I am a beginner.

Generally though since I started working I have shed some fat and after putting into practise PO, I have started to fill out. More importantly, the actual size difference feels real rather than just a pump.

Thanks!
I'm sorry to hear about your ongoing health issues, but it does sound you are improving...and its even more awesome you are trying to get into the gym when, frankly, you have more reasons than most not to. So...you are awesome.

As for nutrition, i would generally get a sense of what your "macro" nutrients need to be and how many calories you need. Go on line and get a calorie calculator and put in your information. This will give you a general idea of how many calories you need to gain weight, maintain weight, and lose weight. (again...generally). From there. Then...just keep it simple. 40 percent of your diet should be protein, 40 percent from carbs, 20 percent from fat. But don't stress too much about that. Just make sure you are eating a good amount of protien. As things get moving...you can start getting more and more specific.

As for your workouts...full body is a great choice. Your bench press and overhead press (both bar bell), are good choices. You may want to consider switching squat machine for squat (if your energy levels can handle it)....and may want to consider deadlift (if your energy levels can handle it) (both of these exercises are very taxing). This is basic "strength" training. (See, Starting Strenght, Mark Rippetoe). This may not be what you are after...but this is a decent place to start for overall strength. But even what you are doing now is good! What are your sets and rep ranges?

Tazzu

I'm sorry to hear about your ongoing health issues, but it does sound you are improving...and its even more awesome you are trying to get into the gym when, frankly, you have more reasons than most not to. So...you are awesome.

As for nutrition, i would generally get a sense of what your "macro" nutrients need to be and how many calories you need. Go on line and get a calorie calculator and put in your information. This will give you a general idea of how many calories you need to gain weight, maintain weight, and lose weight. (again...generally). From there. Then...just keep it simple. 40 percent of your diet should be protein, 40 percent from carbs, 20 percent from fat. But don't stress too much about that. Just make sure you are eating a good amount of protien. As things get moving...you can start getting more and more specific.

As for your workouts...full body is a great choice. Your bench press and overhead press (both bar bell), are good choices. You may want to consider switching squat machine for squat (if your energy levels can handle it)....and may want to consider deadlift (if your energy levels can handle it) (both of these exercises are very taxing). This is basic "strength" training. (See, Starting Strenght, Mark Rippetoe). This may not be what you are after...but this is a decent place to start for overall strength. But even what you are doing now is good! What are your sets and rep ranges?
Thank you for your kind words, they mean a lot! The problems are still there, so bad that it may mean that the rest of my life is doomed, but at least I have the momentum to keep trying so who knows where I may end up. Relating to the problem, it affects my ability to articulate myself, so please don't think that I don't appreciate the advice.

My diet is rice and curry and a protein shake after workout. So a fair amount of calories and not so much protein. I recently invested in some Optimum Nutrition protein but a scoop of it (25g) is not enough for somebody who weighs 80kg. I do try to have two eggs the day after my workout too. Unfortunately I'm not in a place to start cooking in large quantities or to prepare more adequately but I hope to eventually. I am still in the beginner stages and I was worried that my poor diet it killing any progress I could be making.

Unfortunately my energy levels can't handle a free bar squat hence why I switched. Even then I would plateau quite badly and mess up my form big time. What are your opinions on machines in general? For arms I add one extra on top of the cable exercises I am doing.

As for sets and reps, I start a weight at 3 sets of 8 reps and each week I add another rep. Once I hit and do a week of 10 then I go up, so basically progressive overload (PO). I keep in mind how many reps in reserve (RiR) I have before settling on a number of reps to start with. I actually plateaued first on the arms cable workouts but I think it was because my form was poor. As for strength, I for years did 5x5 SL for years on and off and always plateaued at around the same numbers.

Top Bottom