• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT| Pumpin' Iron and Spittin' Blood.

Alright guys. Here he is back when he was in his prime. My trainer. Figured I'd put a face to him since I talk about him so much. Sorry for the low quality shot, I didn't take it, my friend did because I didn't have my phone with me.

BZJVBZH.jpg

All natural. Pure dedication. American patriot.

That's not willy nilly ripped and torn to shreds muscle. That's over 20 years of carefully cultivated tendon and ligament conditioning and growing. As well as heavy load work as a supplement after laying a strong foundation.

Now hopefully you can see what I mean by, "He looks so proportional." He does have a superman chest though. Which is why the people in the neighborhoods he performed in called him Superman. Hard to see in that shot.

This is why his strength freaks me out so much. It really is like a super hero where it just seems so crazy that this person is doing what he is.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Farmer walked two miles w the missus today, holding that 12lb medicine ball over my head w one hand (alternating). She was holding her 20lb above her head for half the trek and to either side for the other half. Then I walked one more mile w the 35 lb kettlebell held to the side in either hand (alternating).

I am about **looks back through thread** two weeks into this habit of taking 1/2 to 1 mile farmer walks, and now I'm comfortably doing 2 - 3 miles a day. Big downside: walking 2 - 3 miles is time consuming, so I am going to cap it here and focus on increasing my speed and increasing my carried weight.

I am sticking with the throw-behind medicine ball circuit. It's primitive, but it gets the heart rate going. I'm impressed by how well the ball is holding up, but I guess I was just naive. I only saw them used in a gym or physical-therapy setting, so I assumed it'd get worn out if used outside.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yeah I am also trying to get more flexible, not for the sake of flexibility per se but to properly stimulate those joints and tendons and to help them grow/strengthen properly. I spend more time stretching / hanging than I do on isos, calisthenics, and hauling weights combined. VlaudTheImpaler VlaudTheImpaler pointed me to a lot of good material.

Stretching is easy to "sneak in", to be fair, and I am probably too paranoid about hurting my joints so I stick with it compulsively.

Tesseract

Banned
morning routine -->

200 jumping jacks, 50 push ups, 50 goblin squats, 20 chin ups, hang until depleted

only takes 15 minutes or so, gets the heart pumping

trying to transition back to sleeping on the floor but the cycles haven't been kind, usually wake up after an hour and shamble into bed

will keep pushing those floor hours, maybe by the end of the year i'll sleep through the night without much pain or discomfort

Last edited:
Some really good leg stretches for those interested. From a legend.

The anatomy lesson at the beginning of this one is some good info and goes into why it's good to stretch and that you shouldn't push it when you do. If you can't hit a split, watch the intro lesson then jump to the next vid.

Split progression.

Why is he a legend you might ask?

Just put a 14' trampoline together with my brother in law... but we didn't read the instructions so we didn't see that there was a tool for the springs till the last 4 or so springs... We did it using pliers. I used the straight pliers... Elbows are on fire right now.

Ripped through 22 cards earlier though. So there's that. Pretty sure that's not even my max yet. It was pretty easy. Going to up it to 30 once my elbows calm down.

Time to chill with some Neon Abyss... or Undermine. I haven't decided yet.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm starting on a low-carb / keto diet. Personally, I'm somewhat lost - I've never had to know what exactly a "carb" is, or why it's bad. So I'm learning a lot. Thankfully my wife knows all this shit and is helping me get started. My goal is to lose about 100lbs, because right now there is no way I'm going to be able to finish that marathon at my current weight. So here's what I've got going on now:

Breakfast: water / nothing
Lunch: Keto shake mix thing, with whole milk. Comes out to be about 550cal but is low carb and high in fat. Tastes pretty darn good.
Dinner: somewhat heavy on the protein, super heavy on the veggies. Basically, as many veggies as I can eat.
Snack (not after 7pm): whole almonds or a small bit of raspberries

I'm tracking all of my food consumption in the LoseIt! app on my phone, which is pretty easy and has a lot of the charts and graphs breakdown that my mind enjoys. I've also completely cut out caffiene / soda so far, which is probably going to help my weight loss more than the diet.

For exercise, I was finally able to pick up a weight bench and bar set although it's not nearly as high a quality as I would have liked. But with COVID and lockdowns, it'll do for now until these things get better availability. I'm doing some basic lifts every day after work, before dinner. Bench presses and squats, mostly. I've also got a pretty high end treadmill and elliptical I hop on every now and again.

So I've been doing this a week, already down 10 pounds. Feels pretty good! But like I said, I think most of that is water weight from drinking a ton of soda before so obviously I don't expect that trend to continue. If I end up reaching my goal, I'll be back to my high school weight - which was like... 25 years ago.

God Enel

jshackles jshackles i mean soda is basically carbs (if you don’t drink zero products) so quitting that is a necessity if you go low carb.

Tracking what you eat is awesome for some weeks up to a month to get a feeling of how many calories you’re consuming. At a certain point I just stopped doing it as I roughly knew how my intake was. Back then I was shocked how fast shit adds up to 2k+ calories. Especially when you’re drinking soda.

dont become obsessed with the numbers though.

and I would recommend you some fasting later in the game. But if you just started out take it step by step.

in combination with workouts the weight is going to melt if you’re dedicated or it’s gonna stop as you add muscle and start lifting. Don’t let that discourage you.

best of luck 🦾

I wanted to work out in the morning but was a lazy fuck and my sleep was like shit. It’s fucking hot over here. I have to do it after work.

SpiceRacz

I'm starting on a low-carb / keto diet. Personally, I'm somewhat lost - I've never had to know what exactly a "carb" is, or why it's bad. So I'm learning a lot. Thankfully my wife knows all this shit and is helping me get started. My goal is to lose about 100lbs, because right now there is no way I'm going to be able to finish that marathon at my current weight. So here's what I've got going on now:

Breakfast: water / nothing
Lunch: Keto shake mix thing, with whole milk. Comes out to be about 550cal but is low carb and high in fat. Tastes pretty darn good.
Dinner: somewhat heavy on the protein, super heavy on the veggies. Basically, as many veggies as I can eat.
Snack (not after 7pm): whole almonds or a small bit of raspberries

I'm tracking all of my food consumption in the LoseIt! app on my phone, which is pretty easy and has a lot of the charts and graphs breakdown that my mind enjoys. I've also completely cut out caffiene / soda so far, which is probably going to help my weight loss more than the diet.

For exercise, I was finally able to pick up a weight bench and bar set although it's not nearly as high a quality as I would have liked. But with COVID and lockdowns, it'll do for now until these things get better availability. I'm doing some basic lifts every day after work, before dinner. Bench presses and squats, mostly. I've also got a pretty high end treadmill and elliptical I hop on every now and again.

So I've been doing this a week, already down 10 pounds. Feels pretty good! But like I said, I think most of that is water weight from drinking a ton of soda before so obviously I don't expect that trend to continue. If I end up reaching my goal, I'll be back to my high school weight - which was like... 25 years ago.

Eliminating starch and sugar from your diet is one of the best things you can do for yourself. If you're going on a high fat diet, I would highly recommend you incorporate ribeye steaks into your diet. It will satiate you more than anything else while providing a fuckload of protein, potassium (you will need this since you're not retaining much water), and other nutrients.

If you have any questions about Keto, I can probably answer them. I've done it on and off for the past 3 years. Cheers.

not familiar with that, what is it?

Starting from the last calorie amount you used to eat at the end of the cutting cycle, you slowly start reintroducing calories little by little

Some says this is particularly effective in limiting rebounds, helping in finding the new tdee, and the body to adact to the new macro amounts

Some others prefer to jump into a surplus immediately to start bulking, other advise to do 2 weeks at mantainance before

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
Starting from the last calorie amount you used to eat at the end of the cutting cycle, you slowly start reintroducing calories little by little

Some says this is particularly effective in limiting rebounds, helping in finding the new tdee, and the body to adact to the new macro amounts
not sure, haven't experimented with that

one of the fitness monsters itt can probably give you a definite answer

rykomatsu

Man, should have invested in a home gym a long time ago, even with a class-based gym membership.

It's f-ing awesome to be able to casually walk into the garage, after missing the last class of the day, and being able to do the workout plus some additional work...

Deadlifts, bent over rows, and ab rollouts for strength. Squat snatches and jump rope work for metcon/cardio. Can't wait to get the rack and bench in.

notseqi

Yes!@#@! :messenger_beaming: :messenger_beaming: :messenger_beaming:

230lb instead of 260lb, but I'm sure I can pick up a pair of 15lb bumpers eventually

FFc6wz1.png
hory shet, the dream. mad jelly, congrats

Saw one of those in the gym yesterday, thought 'oh nice, girl that does some cool stuff', she walked over to the squat rack and sat down on the bench she moved from the other side of the gym to do diddle around on her phone, then did a bench press set. Oh well, alright, the one normal bench was used by three gymbros. When I finished my usual overhead press warmup she was... curling in the squat rack. Dammit.
I asked her how long she would need to finish, said she would do three more sets. Okay, was going for squats but set up for deads somewhere else, carried all the stuff over, warmup deads with 10x60kg/132lbs, she decides to fuck off after three curl reps but at least tidies her stuff away. Walks over to the cable crossover machine and starts to do... pullups, blocking the whole thing. There is a pullup bar on the squat rack, could have just stayed there.

I'll be there a lot earlier next monday to block the curl rack to kingdom come.

Did 7x100kg/220lbs deads for 5 sets and I'm feeling amazing, wanted to go again today but the strength won't be there and I don't want to overdo it, only protein today, back tomorrow. It's 35°C anyways.

Stay hydrated.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
bah, failed the fast after like 60 hours. That's usually about as long as I can take as I was having trouble sleeping I was so hungry. I've never made it a full 72. IDK how people do a week+. Back down to 172 though. 11 pounds to go....
Do a few 48s during a 2-week window and then 72 is easysauce. Great work on the fast! Just remember that you get back some of that "water weight" (glycogen storage in muscle tissue) after breaking your fast.

Last edited:
Arrived at arm wrestling practice today and the electricity was out due to a storm which brought 90mph winds last night. I actually sent the family to the bathroom like we practice for tornadoes.

Not a problem. Moved one of the tables from the basement to the ground floor and set up shop there. Nothing stops this training.

Pulled really well today. Made it through around 4 sessions with Mr. Stapleton and several with my friend (around 2 and a half hours through practice) before my elbows gave up on me and I couldn't give any back pressure (Curling/pulling). I was going really hard though and he's happy about my progress. I can tell my biceps are just that much stronger every practice so focusing on that weak point at home with high reps and blood flow is paying off. My grip hasn't slipped at all either, in fact the wrists and fingers seem to be only getting stronger as well.

We where going to have a massage therapist there this time who wants to get into the sports health arena but the storm collapsed the roof of her office so she was getting that all sorted. Gonna be interesting having someone like that on hand...

Also, Some bad news... Michigan's dictator is still locking crap down. So the tourney has been moved way back to December 5th. Oh well, more time to train and I actually perform way better in the cold. Just getting really antsy to test my strength in the wild.

Some good news though... I don't know how much I'm allowed to say yet because I don't know if it's set in stone... But it looks like some big names may have just joined our team... I'll let you know what the full team is when I know for sure.

Our team btw,

117341665_10218350521850393_247241220430429105_n.jpg

Picked up our first sponsor as well.

Lately I've just been thinking about how I suddenly ended up here. About how many decisions led to this point. How I could've easily gone in a different direction. How many other opportunities might have lead to amazing things, or disaster, had I taken them?

Life sure is a great and mysterious adventure. I would never have guessed I'd be doing this just a few months ago. Glad I can share it with you guys. And glad you guys can share your own paths with me. It's been a pleasure for sure.

Keep riding forward champions. Never know where life is going to bring you.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Today was leg day and I'm quakin'

Leg day for me is simple: 2 total hours of isometric holds + stretches focused on the legs. I use my iphone to stop/start the timer. The moves would be things like: Squats held at various leg degrees, squats while up on my toes (soleus stability), horse stance, standing on one foot w knee raised, bus stop squats, standing pancake stretches, slow pistol squats, splits, etc., anything that either pushes my hip+leg mobility, or an iso hold that conditions the legs. Doesn't matter if I push it hard or not, the total number of minutes is what matters. So I distribute this throughout the day, but even so by the end of the day some of them really begin to hurt, like the horse stance and one-footed stands.

I've only been at the horse stance for 5 or 6 weeks, but I am improving. Investing time into one-footed stands is making my ankles rock-solid. Whether I'm jogging, sprinting, or doing calf exercises (all barefoot or in those skinners), I feel a lot more stable in both legs. The one footed stands are directly responsible. Sometimes I'll spend 20 straight minutes alternating from foot to foot, standing for as long as I can. Knee and hip stability are better, too. The overall stability gained from these isos pays off when trying to do heavier lifts / hauls. My posture and endurance continues to improve.

Those throw-behind drills with the medicine ball (standing power throw, turn, run after it, standing power throw, repeat) are killer. I know I keep bringing the medicine ball up but I think it's an excellent middle ground between weighted ballistic exercise (kettlebells, clubs) and sports cardio (running, jumping, sprinting, etc).

I took a ~20m ice bath today, flipping the emergency drain spout up so that I could fill the tub to the brim. I wish I could do them every day, but it is somewhat of a hassle to get the ice together. Easiest / most economical way that I've found so far is to freeze entire pitchers full of water in the ice chest, dump them out once completely frozen, and then make a few more batches. Stockpile these cylinders and carry a few up to the tub for anal insertion :messenger_face_steam:

Speaking of cold surprises, some of the early mornings here in Michigan this past week have been breezy 55F - 60F, so I've been getting outside around 5:30am to start work early and soak up the cold air. Every little bit of cold training helps.

Last edited:
Today was leg day and I'm quakin'

Leg day for me is simple: 2 total hours of isometric holds + stretches focused on the legs. I use my iphone to stop/start the timer. The moves would be things like: Squats at various leg degrees, squats while up on my toes, horse stance, standing on one foot w knee raised, bus stop squats, standing pancake stretches, slow pistol squats, splits, etc., anything that either pushes my hip+leg mobility, or an iso hold that conditions the legs. Doesn't matter if I push it hard or not, the total number of minutes is what matters. So I distribute this throughout the day, but even so by the end of the day some of them really begin to hurt, like the horse stance and one-footed stands.

I've only been at the horse stance for 5 or 6 weeks, but I am improving. Investing time into one-footed stands is making my ankles rock-solid. Whether I'm jogging, sprinting, or doing calf exercises (all barefoot or in those skinners), I feel a lot more stable in both legs. The one footed stands are directly responsible. Sometimes I'll spend 20 straight minutes alternating from foot to foot, standing for as long as I can. Knee and hip stability are better, too. The overall stability gained from these isos pays off when trying to do heavier lifts / hauls. My posture and endurance continues to improve.

Those throw-behind drills with the medicine ball (standing power throw, turn, run after it, standing power throw, repeat) are killer. I know I keep bringing the medicine ball up but I think it's an excellent middle ground between weighted ballistic exercise (kettlebells, clubs) and sports cardio (running, jumping, sprinting, etc).

I took a ~20m ice bath today, flipping the emergency drain spout up so that I could fill the tub to the brim. I wish I could do them every day, but it is somewhat of a hassle to get the ice together. Easiest / most economical way that I've found so far is to freeze entire pitchers full of water in the ice chest, dump them out once completely frozen, and then make a few more batches. Stockpile these cylinders and carry a few up to the tub for anal insertion :messenger_face_steam:

Speaking of cold surprises, some of the early mornings here in Michigan this past week have been breezy 55F - 60F, so I've been getting outside around 5:30am to start work early and soak up the cold air. Every little bit of cold training helps.

Great stuff, been trying to hit the legs lately as well now that my lower back is feeling like it's nearly back at 100%. Need to do something when the lawn doesn't need mown and when my arms are recovering. Been trying some resistance band squats with my pullup bar. Felt really nice so I'm going to work those back in @ low weight/high reps. Definitely going to try some of the isometrics you listed.

If you want to try to level up the difficulty on those one legged isometric squats/knee raises for stability, try closing your eyes while you do it. Also, if you have a Bosu ball, try standing on that then close your eyes when you get used to it. Rubber or platform side up, doesn't matter.

When I had a tub that I could do proper ice baths in, I found that using heavy duty one gallon (or however big you can find) Ziploc freezer bags worked really well for creating giant icebergs. You don't even need to take them out of the bag if you double up. Just plop them in the tub and after they melt, put them back in the freezer. Leave a bit of room for them to expand while freezing when you fill them up.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned

This feels great to work on. If anybody here ever feels that their bench or pushups are restricted or feel tight in the chest just do about 1-2 minutes each side. Can place the lacross ball on the anterior deltoid, the upper pecks just below the clavicles, anywhere on the chest that feels alright and you feel so much better. The first time might psyche some out, but you'll adapt to the pressure and what once grueling and like pain will be like nothing after 4-5 goes. I brought my barbell in today (have three) with the lacross ball duct taped and went to work for about four minutes total. Now I wont be worrying about impingement during pushups or OHP during sets. Going to be doing these more often. Maybe as much as twice a week

I think I'll also begin to barbell smash my adductors, but that will take some building up to. Probably will start with just 1 min per leg

Got upper body training today. Everything is still going well. I'm especially excited about my pullups improving rapidly. Once I get back to form and muscle memory kicks in it'll all start to get really fun. I was always a big fan of working working back, legs, and chest but once I'm fully back to strength, I'm going to try to get massive arms and up my deltoid med/posterior game as I almost never paid great attention to them. Usually let the high volume, heavy compounds do their thing and it was enough to have decent size. But I really want to pack on some serious size there eventually

opHoJgo.jpg

Top Bottom