• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT| Pumpin' Iron and Spittin' Blood.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
rest day, maximum chill
tenor.gif

Tesseract

Banned
tbh I don't know what a Tessie rest day looks like. Only 500 pushups and only 115 miles on elliptical?
sitting here with orange juice, reading architectural approach to level design: second edition, totten, listening to soma fm (ambient drone) and sean carroll's mindscape podcast

wrapped in a black blanket, muscles spasming, mind scattershot

y tu? (and get in dat goty thread and tell me if my guess is right)

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
sitting here with orange juice, reading architectural approach to level design: second edition, totten, listening to soma fm (ambient drone) and sean carroll's mindscape podcast

wrapped in a black blanket, muscles spasming, mind scattershot

y tu? (and get in dat goty thread and tell me if my guess is right)
Sounds nice. I'm the opposite today. Break-fast days means I go hardest, so I'm on a strict 10m timer to get up and do sets. Working hard on rings at various lengths. Trying to perfect my ring pushups and then transition into those pelican dips/bicep whatevers that VlaudTheImpaler VlaudTheImpaler mentioned. Doing lots of swings and cleans on the 60lb kettlebell too. I am inching closer to having enough shoulder strength/stability to start doing 60lb overhead viking presses and overhead 1h farmer walks. Doing things on the ground like bear crawls forward and backward (way more fun than pushups), balancing on one foot for 5+ minutes, horse stance + snatch holds, etc.

I know that I'm somewhat tricking my brain because I fed it 1000s of calories of protein and fat last night, but the surge of strength and endurance is invigorating. I highly recommend fasted training, broken with a good meal, and then back to heavy training (preaching to the choir, since I know you've given this a fair trial).

Feeling more and more excited for winter. My wife is onboard with the skimpy outdoor cold-training. I'm looking into a large-enough galvanized tub to put outside, put water in, cover, and take outdoor freezing dips on the regular.

I thought I replied to your guess awhile ago but it was just saved to my comment box.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
My lamb dinner was delicious. Now I'm finishing off the work week with some holds on the rings and horse stance. Time to re-enter fasted training. A few weeks of these exercises paired with fasting make me feel tighter moreso than stronger (though I am also stronger compared to when I began). Feels kinda like I have a hand winch inside my body, tightening everything inward, pulling everything in by tight cables, click click click.

Also, what's the deal with all these commercials for social-media-linked exercises machines?

Bow banka bow bow dik dik zagitty zig bass line.

1d83aecbd77de47a28e3f496204fd566.jpg

I see ads for a stationary bike w a screen and webcam. I see a glorified balance board with a global high score board + phone app. I see a rowing machine with a TV screen on it. Why does exercise have to be so social? I'm not a gym rat, but I understand the concept of getting the social/encouragement you need from a gym environment. That aspect just isn't my thing, however.

Even with that in mind, remote exercise socialization?

You know what we need? Global high score Skip It. I'd accept CCP overwatch for global high score Skip It. 🤷‍♀️

Meowzers

I've never been a fan of squats. I've built decent wheels over the years by just leg extensions, lunges and machine presses.

Not much of a fan of deadlifts either. Rack pulls are my favourites for back development, along with EZ bar under/over arm for mass.

Love bench press though along with landmine presses and farmer walks.

JimiNutz

Banned
Gyms opened up in the UK today.
I was there at 8am sharp for opening time and was one of the first ones in.

All of the major lifts that I attempted today were significantly under (I did bench, rows and deads).
That's to be expected I suppose since I haven't done any proper lifting in over four months now.

I wanted to go straight back into BJJ but at the moment my gym is only offering Boxing and Muay Thai. Boxing is Mon and Wed and Muau Thai is Tue and Thur so I'll hopefully get 4 days solid of decent training in. I really need to work off this Covid alcohol belly!

That leaves Fri and Sat to lift (Sun will be my rest/running day). Hopefully I can gain my strength back relatively quickly only lifting twice s week (no rest day between major lifts isn't ideal!)

Boxing and Must Thai have to be the main focus for now though as I feel fat and slow. Wish me luck for Boxing on Monday :messenger_grinning_sweat:

JimiNutz

Banned
you don't really need a gym to stay fit but maybe that kind of environment better suits you

good luck monday, destroy some fools

Yeah I've managed to avoid extreme fatness at home by doing bodyweight circuits, pull ups/dips, kettlebells and running. I still find that I feel best doing heavy deadlifts, squats, bench, overhead presses and rows as they make me feel so much stronger.

You also can't really box or kickbox at home without good partners to spar against. The bag helps with cardio but you can't beat good sparing.

I'm moving into a bigger house soon and the first thing I'll do is set up a decent squat wrack, bench and deadlifting matt at home so that I don't have to travel to a gym to lift heavy.

I don't think I'll be fucking anyone up on Monday. My aim is to make it through 90 mins of boxing without vomitting!

Tesseract

Banned
feels like my operational capacity is around 39%, finally at a place where i can full throttle the wolverine regimen without holding back

pentagon sent me a new workout bench, gonna spend the rest of the day setting up and reorganizing

animal pump twice a day, plant protein mix up to 1 g / pound and plenty of chicken, broc, spinach, green beans, brown rice, eggs, walnuts

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Tesseract Tesseract how's the new workout bench?

Today is a hot, humid, breezy day. It's isometrics on the rings and ground. Trying to improve my holds, so just planking in a pushup position on the rings, standard hold, knees up, knees up and elbows 45 degrees, etc. Various isos to improve the core strength and chase away the jitters. Still working my way through the 60lb kettlebell progressions. I'm getting better at cleans and presses. Soon will be 1h farmer walks...

JimiNutz

Banned
Made it through 'boxing' easily enough although I was disappointed to see that it was basically boxercise. No sparring, no pad work, just skipping, shadow boxing, bag work and circuit training.

Don't get me wrong, I need all of that and it was a decent workout but if it's gonna have to be socially distanced like this for months and months then I'll be disappointed.

I asked when BJJ is coming back and they said not for a few months at least so I'm guessing there won't be any boxing sparring either for a while. Fucking Covid!

Got Muay Thai tomorrow so hopefully we can at least do some pad work in that. If not, then at least it's another thing to get me out the house as being at home so much is getting old now.

Tesseract

Banned
Made it through 'boxing' easily enough although I was disappointed to see that it was basically boxercise. No sparring, no pad work, just skipping, shadow boxing, bag work and circuit training.

Don't get me wrong, I need all of that and it was a decent workout but if it's gonna have to be socially distanced like this for months and months then I'll be disappointed.

I asked when BJJ is coming back and they said not for a few months at least so I'm guessing there won't be any boxing sparring either for a while. Fucking Covid!

Got Muay Thai tomorrow so hopefully we can at least do some pad work in that. If not, then at least it's another thing to get me out the house as being at home so much is getting old now.
good shit, be sure to let know how muay thai goes

i read a few bjj books over the break, wanted to jump in past february but everything is locked

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Iso holds and slow negatives on the rings, mixed with jump rope and heavy kettlebelling. The fast is starting to wear on me (the soreness creeps up quicker) so tonight I get to take a luxury soak in the bath tub w a bag of ice and a black pepper + turmeric smoothie. The winch tightens click click click.

a434784469d754c9d110ac742bcd637c.gif

Glad to see a few more faces in the thread.

Tune contribution:

entremet

I've never been a fan of squats. I've built decent wheels over the years by just leg extensions, lunges and machine presses.

Not much of a fan of deadlifts either. Rack pulls are my favourites for back development, along with EZ bar under/over arm for mass.

Love bench press though along with landmine presses and farmer walks.
I prefer front and zercher squats to back squats.

Last edited:

squallheart

Man i wish my gym was opened was doing good losing weight got down to 190. Now im at 210 even with some athlean x workouts, i need heavier weights but not enough room xD. I was going to buy the bow flex weights but sold out or marked up big time. I will continue doing my simple workouts and probably stay at 210 for a while.

entremet

Tried front squats but my arms don't like being in such an uncomfortable position. Never tried Zercher squats at all, but neither look like something you can really progressively overload with given the position of arms. Unless you train more volume at lighter weights, thus taking longer in the gym.
Split squats with heavy dumbbells will mess you up too haha. Especially if you had a one-second pause at the bottom.

Belmonte

I miss the gym. Even the loud and lame music they had.

It was important for my socializing since I work at home. The employees were very friendly cute girls, there was the dude which was a semi professional bicycle racer with lots of stories and a funny and very helpful gym trainer. Everything was always clean and well organized. I hope they don't bankrupt with the semi quarantine we have in my city.

After some time I get used to train in my house. First two weeks got me worried since I wasn't getting sore. After that I was getting sore in the wrong muscles. Bought some extra dumbbells and a band and I'm in the game again. Now I'm sore where I need to be sore.

It is hard to avail how much progress I lost since training in my house. There was a lot of trial and error. My plans was to get in an acceptable shape by the end of the year but now I'm not so sure.But I consider all of this a win since I'm motivate enough to not stop my training and I didn't lost the routine.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Sure, sinewy and fatty meat, and organ meat too. But "connective tissue" would be more like bone broth, dissolving gelatin into tea, fish collagen powders, eating the bones in sardines, etc. Vitamin C and catechins (tea) help maintain / repair / protect connective tissue.

Unflavored Gelatin is more than sufficient and it is cheap.

Last edited:

Meowzers

So guys... what do your diets look like? How do you fuel your machine yo?

My machine runs on anything. I just make sure I get in the right amount of protein and calories and it's easy going from there. When gyms re-open here, I'll be trying out calorie cycling for fat loss. So for Monday it may be 3500 and then Tuesday at 2000. As long as calories are equated for the week, weight loss is the same.

entremet

I try not get too dogmatic with diets, but I follow some rules of thumbs:

-Avoid vegetable oils--you also kill most fast foods this way. But they are terrible for health.
-Avoid added sugars
-Try to have protein every meal
-Eat until full

I usually add vegetable and a starch to lunch and dinner. And I take Vitamin D.

I do a cheat meal here and there, so I'm not a prudish.

Last edited:

hard_boiled

Neophyte
I have a lot of trouble getting enough calories, so sometimes I will augment this with a cheesecake or a pint of ice cream if I start losing weight or feeling weak.
Breakfast:
1/2 C quinoa, 2 tsp garam masala seasoning, very hot curry on top
3 eggs scrambled
Protein shake if I am feeling up for it
1 cup almond milk in coffee
Lunch:
If I'm in the office nothing because I hate packing lunches & I am not buying lunch. Maybe a green tea if I am tired.
If I am not in the office I will eat a double turkey burger with as much sauerkraut & as many jalapenos as I can get on it, in addition to a protein shake. I usually have this after work if I do go to the office.
Dinner:
Another 1/2 C quinoa w/ garam masala & curry, in addition to whatever is floating around my fridge or freezer
3-4 slices of bread & a container of hummus
Protein shake
Misc:
Whenever I can throughout the day I make a smoothing with 1/2 cucumber (skin on), 1 tsp spirulina, 1 tsp chia seeds, 1/2 - 1 container of strawberries, 1 frozen banana (as green as possible), & 1 - 1 1/2 C almond milk.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
i eat -->

chicken, deer, broccoli, spinach, green beans, brown rice, eggs, walnuts, blueberries / blackberries / strawberries, bananas, potato bread, baked beans

i've been on the wolverine diet for 3 years, feels good but i'd be lying if i said the cravings don't hit like a truck by the end of a solid work week

i aim for 5700 calories @ 1g protein / day, cannot always hit that goal for practical reasons

fast for 18 hours / day, pushing beyond to 72 a few times / month

almost never work out on a full stomach and i never eat before bed

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
Currently I'm eating

Turkey/Chicken
Spinach/Kale
Whole Milk
Whole Milk Plain Greek Yogurt
Protein Powder (stir this into the yogurt)
100% cacao bakers chocolate
water
Coffee
Sugar free red bull

I've always been the type to eat the same shit over and over for whatever until I get bored and move onto something else (hence my buckets full of tuna). I supplement with a daily multivitamin and hope for the best overall.

Just trying to keep sane. Got a bitch ass office job that's killing me like 10+ hrs a day. Taking care of my sick mom too. I'm letting my anger fuel my workouts

Top Bottom