• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT| Pumpin' Iron and Spittin' Blood.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I just had my best week in a long time workout-wise. Did 5 days in a row. Resting today obviously. I'm 39 years old so this shit isn't as easy as it was when I was 29 but I feel good.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
They're not 100% accurate, but those activity tracker watches & chest-strap HR monitors might give some insight on the calories in part. But, as long as you don't mind it, then there's probably no real downside to the weight loss. I assume it's mostly fat for you so if you're happy, keep at it man.

I need to get better about my eating. I still eat more than than I burn so I'm trying to find the right balance. I tend to put on a few pounds one month, then take them off the next. I am mostly just reacting to my average weight across a few week/month timeframe. I should just track my calories in again, that takes all the guesswork out of it.
Can you please give me a bit of that and I give you a bit of my distaste for food in return? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Just came back from training. 1 hour weights, 1 hour easy cardio. My T-Shirt was soaking wet. And now here I am, absolutely dreading my post workout meal. I have like ZERO hunger. Even the planned post meal ice cream has no appeal whatsoever. Shiiiittttt…

But I‘ve been thinking the past few days and I think I may have identified my problem… and it‘s fluids. For instance now, while I have no hunger whatsoever, my thirst seems insatiable. I shit you not, I‘m pretty confident I could chug down a gallon of water RIGHT NOW, even though I did the urin test and it was fine. Pretty clear so I should not need any water. But man, it‘s killing me. It‘s probably similar to what you have with hunger.

And the best thing about it is I know it‘s my own fault. Been chugging water to no end in the past years despite no being thirsty. You can never have enough water, right? Well, not really.… Damn it, hope it‘s not going to take me too long to get rid of this…

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'm never hungry after a workout. Water tho... lots of thirst even while I drink while training. Appetite comes later. Always been this way and with Keto and intermittent fasting its an even stronger effect of loss of appetite. I start eating when I feel my body asking for it..whichever time that may be. But i want to be lean af..if you workout to grow start getting uses to forcing your meals.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Can you please give me a bit of that and I give you a bit of my distaste for food in return? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Just came back from training. 1 hour weights, 1 hour easy cardio. My T-Shirt was soaking wet. And now here I am, absolutely dreading my post workout meal. I have like ZERO hunger. Even the planned post meal ice cream has no appeal whatsoever. Shiiiittttt…

But I‘ve been thinking the past few days and I think I may have identified my problem… and it‘s fluids. For instance now, while I have no hunger whatsoever, my thirst seems insatiable. I shit you not, I‘m pretty confident I could chug down a gallon of water RIGHT NOW, even though I did the urin test and it was fine. Pretty clear so I should not need any water. But man, it‘s killing me. It‘s probably similar to what you have with hunger.

And the best thing about it is I know it‘s my own fault. Been chugging water to no end in the past years despite no being thirsty. You can never have enough water, right? Well, not really.… Damn it, hope it‘s not going to take me too long to get rid of this…
My problem is just mostly snacking / grazing whilst high. Easy solution is just to tone back the weed. When I'm not high, I'm like you.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I'm never hungry after a workout. Water tho... lots of thirst even while I drink while training. Appetite comes later. Always been this way and with Keto and intermittent fasting its an even stronger effect of loss of appetite. I start eating when I feel my body asking for it..whichever time that may be. But i want to be lean af..if you workout to grow start getting uses to forcing your meals.
I want to be lean too eventually but for now I still want to add a bit muscle - and with 93 kg at 198 m height there is still a lot room to go up…

But my hunger levels are really something else. Ever since I had my digestive issues around 2 years ago (mostly fixed it now) I lost my love for food completely. If I‘d eat only when I‘m hungry I probably wouldn’t eat at all. Or every day like I do when I fast, meaning 800 calories. And I‘m not even kidding. Seriously hope I get this under control together with my insane thirst in the coming weeks/months.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I want to be lean too eventually but for now I still want to add a bit muscle - and with 93 kg at 198 m height there is still a lot room to go up…

But my hunger levels are really something else. Ever since I had my digestive issues around 2 years ago (mostly fixed it now) I lost my love for food completely. If I‘d eat only when I‘m hungry I probably wouldn’t eat at all. Or every day like I do when I fast, meaning 800 calories. And I‘m not even kidding. Seriously hope I get this under control together with my insane thirst in the coming weeks/months.

Perhaps not a bad idea to consult an expert for lack of a better suited term. My sympathies friend.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Has anyone had any experience with alcohol and losing weight?

Is it just a case of calories or are certain alcohols worse for weight gain?
Ive heard beer bloats the stomach and causes a gut.

A corona extra 330ml is 140 calories

A 1.5oz shot of bourbon is 97 calories i would need 2oz of bourbon with pepsi max so that would make it about 115calories, so bourbon is not that much less calories then beer.
Also other spirts seem to ve the same calorie wise as bourbon.

I guess i could limit my moderate alchol drinking (1-3 drinks) to the weekends.

SpiceRacz

A 1.5oz shot of bourbon is 97 calories i would need 2oz of bourbon with pepsi max so that would make it about 115calories, so bourbon is not that much less calories then beer.

Vodka + soda water. 0 carbs.

If you need to have beer, Miller Lite is the best tasting lowest carb choice.

Sosokrates

Does anyone know if kettlebells have to be rigid?

Because I was thinking i could make my own by cutting some hollow pipe as the handle and attaching chains to it and a dumbbell weight plate so.

Here is an expert illustration

35sTNTK.jpg

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Does anyone know if kettlebells have to be rigid?

Because I was thinking i could make my own by cutting some hollow pipe as the handle and attaching chains to it and a dumbbell weight plate so.

Here is an expert illustration

35sTNTK.jpg
I would assume yes, they do. I've never seen a loose handle on a kettle bell but I won't pretend to be an authority on the topic.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
LMAO, I give up. I'm currently at my peak caloric intake --> 5.100 calories

Yesterday I get up in the morning, 93,8 kg. Went to the gym before work and then ate accordingly. Since I'm on keto during the week it was loads of nuts, cheese, tofu, raw eggs and dark chocolate. When I came home I was feeling sick and on the verge to throwing up. Got all sweaty when thinking that I have 2 more meals in front of me. Somehow I gulped that shit without vomiting and then went to sleep.

Get up this morning; 93,8 kg.

This is borderline comical. I just give up, I don't care any more. Dropping my calories again now.

That being said, fasting after such a day is heaven on earth right now.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned

Beer obviously gives you that baloon-like belly, for whatever the reason. If you want to drink and stay in shape just have whisky/vodka/gin/rum etc. with cola/pepsi/sorite zero.

Tazzu

Hey guys dropping by to ask a questions.

First question, say like I am working a muscle group in one session, so for example biceps. Now I start off doing an exercise to work it, for example bicep curls. I do 3 sets of 10-12 reps. Depending on how I feel I might even squeeze in another set, likewise I am also aware of the concept of reps in reserve so I don't go to failure.

Now here is my question. Is that enough for the session? The the thing is, once I have done my exercise I can't do anymore. However if I go away and do the same muscle in a different way (so for example a machine) then I can bang out my workout. As I am a beginner, I am more or less doing a complete top body workout. This is not just because I want to get the most out of my sessions but if I followed a split and worked each muscle only once in a session, then it would be over very quickly. This leaves me thinking I have not done enough.

My other question is, as a beginner can I do the same muscle groups with a day between? Lastly, what's best? Free weights, cables or machines?

Thanks!

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

First question, say like I am working a muscle group in one session, so for example biceps. Now I start off doing an exercise to work it, for example bicep curls. I do 3 sets of 10-12 reps. Depending on how I feel I might even squeeze in another set, likewise I am also aware of the concept of reps in reserve so I don't go to failure.

Now here is my question. Is that enough for the session? The the thing is, once I have done my exercise I can't do anymore. However if I go away and do the same muscle in a different way (so for example a machine) then I can bang out my workout. As I am a beginner, I am more or less doing a complete top body workout. This is not just because I want to get the most out of my sessions but if I followed a split and worked each muscle only once in a session, then it would be over very quickly. This leaves me thinking I have not done enough.

My other question is, as a beginner can I do the same muscle groups with a day between? Lastly, what's best? Free weights, cables or machines?

Thanks!
You can absolutely work the same muscle across different exercises. Don't skip leg day! Lower body and core are essential.

I would say your rest period depends on how hard you're working those specific muscles. 1 day might be enough for some going hard if they're a teenager. As an old dude, I can't always take just 1 rest day. Listen to your body.

What's best will determine what your goals are. I think a combo of all 3 is good. If you can only pick free weights or machine, I would go free weights every time. The machines won't work your stabilizing muscles.

LMAO, I give up. I'm currently at my peak caloric intake --> 5.100 calories

Yesterday I get up in the morning, 93,8 kg. Went to the gym before work and then ate accordingly. Since I'm on keto during the week it was loads of nuts, cheese, tofu, raw eggs and dark chocolate. When I came home I was feeling sick and on the verge to throwing up. Got all sweaty when thinking that I have 2 more meals in front of me. Somehow I gulped that shit without vomiting and then went to sleep.

Get up this morning; 93,8 kg.

This is borderline comical. I just give up, I don't care any more. Dropping my calories again now.

That being said, fasting after such a day is heaven on earth right now.
What is your rough body fat %? You've got to be fairly lean on fat, I would assume.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I haven't measured it for quite a while. I'd say somewhere around 10-15%. Hard to say, I look kinda weird as I have quite a lot of body fat on my lower belly but not much anywhere else. Rough genetics...
Same here. I don't want to micromanage my intake for the rest of my life so I am working toward a good balance of food and exercise. I know days I don't work out, I need less intake. But I also go real hard some days and need like 3k-4k calories. I don't like these massive swings so I've actually lowered my volume of exercise this year.

Sosokrates

Thanks!

If you are wanting to get bigger biceps and still be strong, if you are natural you will get the best results by focusing on getting stronger.

What i would do is a pick a wieght I can do 3 sets of 6reps then each session I would try and increase reps so the next session I would do 7,6,6 and then the next time 7,7,7 all the way until I got to 10,10,10 then i would add 5lbs and go back to 6,6,6 and work my way up to 10,10,10 and repeat the process.

When aiming for a number of reps the last rep should be challenging but not super syian popping a blood vessel hard and take it slow, it does not matter if you dont progress in one week, its a slow process.

Dont worry to much about form, a lot of people are obcessed with slow negatives, squeezing the muscle and the "mind muscle connection"
Just lift the bar up and lower it so you are controlling it enough so gravity does not take over, dont overthink it just focus on getting stronger and more powerful.

I would give 4 days rest inbetween bicep sessions, but I also did wieghted chin ups for back + biceps in the same session.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Same here. I don't want to micromanage my intake for the rest of my life so I am working toward a good balance of food and exercise. I know days I don't work out, I need less intake. But I also go real hard some days and need like 3k-4k calories. I don't like these massive swings so I've actually lowered my volume of exercise this year.
Unlike you, micromanaging things has grew in a bit into a hobby of mine, so it's kinda especially frustrating if it doesn't work as I think it should. ;)
But your approach is definitely more healthy for the mind, that's for sure. I'm pretty crazy. For quite some time I think that with all I'm doing I'm either going to live forever or die very young. lol

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Unlike you, micromanaging things has grew in a bit into a hobby of mine, so it's kinda especially frustrating if it doesn't work as I think it should. ;)
But your approach is definitely more healthy for the mind, that's for sure. I'm pretty crazy. For quite some time I think that with all I'm doing I'm either going to live forever or die very young. lol
I micromanage the hell out of my finances. :)

Lady Jane

Banned
Going to the Red Dress Run this weekend and my strict routine for the last three weeks is paying off well. I'm going to slay in my dress.

I honestly need goals to stay fit. Beach weekends, weddings, Christmas pictures, freaking anything. If I have nothing planned in the next 30 days, my motivation disappears.

Last edited:

Tazzu

If you are wanting to get bigger biceps and still be strong, if you are natural you will get the best results by focusing on getting stronger.

What i would do is a pick a wieght I can do 3 sets of 6reps then each session I would try and increase reps so the next session I would do 7,6,6 and then the next time 7,7,7 all the way until I got to 10,10,10 then i would add 5lbs and go back to 6,6,6 and work my way up to 10,10,10 and repeat the process.

When aiming for a number of reps the last rep should be challenging but not super syian popping a blood vessel hard and take it slow, it does not matter if you dont progress in one week, its a slow process.

Dont worry to much about form, a lot of people are obcessed with slow negatives, squeezing the muscle and the "mind muscle connection"
Just lift the bar up and lower it so you are controlling it enough so gravity does not take over, dont overthink it just focus on getting stronger and more powerful.

I would give 4 days rest inbetween bicep sessions, but I also did wieghted chin ups for back + biceps in the same session.
Thanks for the reply. Right that's roughly the idea I am following but I also wanted to know, how many times in a single session should I be working that muscle. As I said, if I do just bicep curls it wont take me too long to finish and just doesn't feel like enough.

Sosokrates

Thanks for the reply. Right that's roughly the idea I am following but I also wanted to know, how many times in a single session should I be working that muscle. As I said, if I do just bicep curls it wont take me too long to finish and just doesn't feel like enough.

Depends on your goals, if your just a natural wanting to get bigger muscles and get stronger, i dont think u need more then 2 exercises for biceps.

I just did weighted chin ups for biceps every 4 days for like a year and got good gains.

Unless your a pro bodybuilder I dont think u need more then 1 or 2 exercises per session and even then the great ronnie coleman would do like 1 bicep exercise a week because he got so much bicep growth from his back exercises.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
66 hours fast now. Going to have a meal within an hour.

Jfc

68. Now to feast

Btw was my first day in 40 years in didn't eat a single day.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Man, I‘ve been doing this sport for so long, yet it never seizes to surprise me how our body works.

So Monday is usually my off day but since today is public holiday here, training was really good yesterday and I figured I‘d be bored today (I just can’t sit around and/or play games all day any more) I decided to hit the gym today as well. Thought I‘d go shortly after noon yesterday and do just light training.

Well, after I woke up and drank a coffee today I felt so bloody amazing I decided to go immediately at 7 am with empty stomach... Broke all my PRs, felt dizzy and sick at the end. Best training in weeks.

I don‘t get it. Training should have been horrible all things considered… Hmm…

Anyway, now up to the hard part. Since Monday is my fasting day, no eating for 8 more hours. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Raven117

Well, you can still drink a little alcohol and lose weight, but you need to be very careful. Definetly understand you still need to be in a caloric deficit. (So, take into account all of those calories when planning your day's calories....On weekends....especially when I know I'm going to be out....I don't eat all day...or just eat a little protien and that's it). Second, understand that your body will switch over to burning the alcohol before it switches back to stored fat....So you are losing a bit on the fat burning there.

In the end, you can have a few on the weekends, but it will slow you down a bit.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yesterday I only ate one dice cube sized piece of coconut with skin and 1 cheap mozzarella ball neutral. And some Bio Coconut water with minimal sugar and mixed with carbonated water

So...certainly below 300cal I reckon.

For me shoulder I have to train (exercises and stretches) the infraspinatus

CguYLjP.jpg

And for my chronic back pain I have to ultimately always have my Transversus Abdominis activated.

7MFFBVd.jpg

Gym today..well resteda nd well stretched.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I had these;

MABQxMZ.jpg

But not the core muscles that counted. Hopefully after the winter holidays I'm so far I can deadlift and squat adequately without my brain going all over the place focussing on which part to flex.

Luckily I've developed a easy mind muscle connection so...

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Well, you can still drink a little alcohol and lose weight, but you need to be very careful. Definetly understand you still need to be in a caloric deficit. (So, take into account all of those calories when planning your day's calories....On weekends....especially when I know I'm going to be out....I don't eat all day...or just eat a little protien and that's it). Second, understand that your body will switch over to burning the alcohol before it switches back to stored fat....So you are losing a bit on the fat burning there.

In the end, you can have a few on the weekends, but it will slow you down a bit.

Wodka with carbonated water, add some lime or whatever. 30/70 Wodka water.Coupled with staying in deficit is manageable.

Man, I‘ve been doing this sport for so long, yet it never seizes to surprise me how our body works.

So Monday is usually my off day but since today is public holiday here, training was really good yesterday and I figured I‘d be bored today (I just can’t sit around and/or play games all day any more) I decided to hit the gym today as well. Thought I‘d go shortly after noon yesterday and do just light training.

Well, after I woke up and drank a coffee today I felt so bloody amazing I decided to go immediately at 7 am with empty stomach... Broke all my PRs, felt dizzy and sick at the end. Best training in weeks.

I don‘t get it. Training should have been horrible all things considered… Hmm…

Anyway, now up to the hard part. Since Monday is my fasting day, no eating for 8 more hours. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Yeah I've had those days as well man..Some sort of mental and physical perfect storm lol..Nice!

About the fasting.....

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Today's session was mediocre. No energy and I skipped stretching before heading out. Did what I could. Better than nothing..
Same here. After the great workout on Monday my 5am workouts on Tuesday and Wednesday were HORRIBLE. I pushed all the weights (my mind just doesn’t allow me to not go all the way, no matter how I feel) but felt super sick midway through on both days. Like I‘m going to throw up any minute. Thought I might be getting sick today but the feeling past 1-2 hours after my workout. Think I‘ve just reached my limits, dunno.

Raven117

Same here. After the great workout on Monday my 5am workouts on Tuesday and Wednesday were HORRIBLE. I pushed all the weights (my mind just doesn’t allow me to not go all the way, no matter how I feel) but felt super sick midway through on both days. Like I‘m going to throw up any minute. Thought I might be getting sick today but the feeling past 1-2 hours after my workout. Think I‘ve just reached my limits, dunno.
Are you sure you don't need to see a doctor or something? Seems things really aren't quite right.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Fasting makes my stomach feel queasy pretty often. I spoke to my doctor and she said not to worry too much. Obviously eat if you need to. I also have been trying a pinch of salt in my water to help combat it. Works decent enough.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Are you sure you don't need to see a doctor or something? Seems things really aren't quite right.
I had my bloodwork done last year when I felt a lot more strained on a regular basis than now and everything was fine (except my vitamin B12 being through the roof). Figure that everything is fine now as well. You must know that I put my body through a lot, no wonder it gives in at times. I'm pretty nuts. Actually thinking about doing one day a week deliberate sleep deprivation. Will certainly try at some point.

And if you ask why I'm doing this? Well, I read a lot about human biology and how stressing your own body on purpose is actually beneficial to one's health. That I sometimes feel like crap because of that is just a sacrifice I am willing to take. Actually I'm one that thinks it's wrong to always strife for having fun and feeling good. Can't say for sure that I'm right but to me it just makes sense to regularly make oneself feel uncomfortable to train your owns self defences. Time will tell... For now I'd say I feel equally often amazing as I do feel like crap. What I can tell you is that my regeneration is quite something. I'm 36 now and a couple of weeks back I started getting insane back pain while deadlifting and in 2-3 days went from "if I sit down now I don't know if I can get up" to almost pain free. Then the pain came back 2-3 weeks later while squatting and it was worse than ever. Went to the doc the same day and popped in only 2-3 pills and have been pain free ever since. I'm actually kinda scared how fast it went that I still haven't picked up deadlifting but I'll probably do again this weekend of latest next weekend.

Can't say for sure if this is due to my lifestyle but perhaps it is.

BTW.: Today I felt amazing again and training first time with pure pump booster (Undisputed Pump). The taste of that shit was fuggin horrible and I almost pucked drinking it on my way to the gym.... yet again broke all PRs. Shits going well.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I had my bloodwork done last year when I felt a lot more strained on a regular basis than now and everything was fine (except my vitamin B12 being through the roof). Figure that everything is fine now as well. You must know that I put my body through a lot, no wonder it gives in at times. I'm pretty nuts. Actually thinking about doing one day a week deliberate sleep deprivation. Will certainly try at some point.

And if you ask why I'm doing this? Well, I read a lot about human biology and how stressing your own body on purpose is actually beneficial to one's health. That I sometimes feel like crap because of that is just a sacrifice I am willing to take. Actually I'm one that thinks it's wrong to always strife for having fun and feeling good. Can't say for sure that I'm right but to me it just makes sense to regularly make oneself feel uncomfortable to train your owns self defences. Time will tell... For now I'd say I feel equally often amazing as I do feel like crap. What I can tell you is that my regeneration is quite something. I'm 36 now and a couple of weeks back I started getting insane back pain while deadlifting and in 2-3 days went from "if I sit down now I don't know if I can get up" to almost pain free. Then the pain came back 2-3 weeks later while squatting and it was worse than ever. Went to the doc the same day and popped in only 2-3 pills and have been pain free ever since. I'm actually kinda scared how fast it went that I still haven't picked up deadlifting but I'll probably do again this weekend of latest next weekend.

Can't say for sure if this is due to my lifestyle but perhaps it is.

BTW.: Today I felt amazing again and training first time with pure pump booster (Undisputed Pump). The taste of that shit was fuggin horrible and I almost pucked drinking it on my way to the gym.... yet again broke all PRs. Shits going well.
Ice baths are my next experiment. You ever done those?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Ice baths are my next experiment. You ever done those?
I only have a shower at home, so now. But I do shower as cold as I can twice a week on my off days. Can‘t really say how much benefit I get from that as there aren’t even studies on cold showers. I literally flying blind in my believe that it’s beneficial for me.

Ice baths are proven to be very healthy though and I would do them if I could. Do them on off days only though because ice baths do work against muscle hypertrophy if done shortly after training.

Be strong bro. Dunno about the baths but the showers are killing me every single time. EVERY TIME. Often have a headache when I‘m done... Don’t do it too often as the moment you get used to it you loose a lot of the benefits according to science. You really have to struggle.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I only have a shower at home, so now. But I do shower as cold as I can twice a week on my off days. Can‘t really say how much benefit I get from that as there aren’t even studies on cold showers. I literally flying blind in my believe that it’s beneficial for me.

Ice baths are proven to be very healthy though and I would do them if I could. Do them on off days only though because ice baths do work against muscle hypertrophy if done shortly after training.

Be strong bro. Dunno about the baths but the showers are killing me every single time. EVERY TIME. Often have a headache when I‘m done... Don’t do it too often as the moment you get used to it you loose a lot of the benefits according to science. You really have to struggle.
I do take cold showers fairly often. They've never really bothered me. Ice water is another level. I want something like the ice barrel but less expensive.

I've got a coworker you takes ice baths in a nearby lake. I will probably tag along with him this winter to try it out.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I do take cold showers fairly often. They've never really bothered me. Ice water is another level. I want something like the ice barrel but less expensive.

I've got a coworker you takes ice baths in a nearby lake. I will probably tag along with him this winter to try it out.
You‘re one hard mofo mate. Cold showers are killer for me and I doubt I‘ll ever get used to it. Which is good I think… haha

Top Bottom