• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First teaser trailer for HBO's 'Westworld' (coming Fall 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Nice to hear that it's finally coming along. If they're filming the final stretch of the season, perhaps it'll make this year after all~

I'm kind of tempted to give the original films a whirl. Do they hold up well?

I'm in the middle of a 70s sci-fi kick, so I actually watched the first one for the first time a couple of weeks ago (I didn't bother with the second since it doesn't seem to be very well regarded). I thought it was pretty cool, definitely one of the better sci-fi films I've watched during my binge, although the first half-2/3 of the movie is a bit too "Wowie-gee! The robots look and act just like humans! And *gasp* you can do anything you want in Westworld!? Like shoot people
(YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THEY'RE ROBOTS)
and have sex with robot prostitutes
(BUT HOW DO I KNOW IF THEY'RE REALLY ROBOTS - THEY LOOK JUST LIKE PEOPLE OMG)
and get into saloon brawls
(ARE YOU SURE THEY'RE ROBOTS)
and become sheriff and rob banks! WOW! I'm in such a futuristic theme park!" but there are some really good ideas in there and things get more interesting once the bad robot dude starts killing people.

I was already super excited for the HBO series, but after watching the film I'm even more excited. It's going to be interesting to see what the TV show version of this story looks like...I think I read that the show will focus on the people running the theme park and on the robots themselves, as opposed to the guests like in the movie, which I think is smart for long form storytelling. I also think that in future seasons they could touch on Roman World and Medieval World, the latter of which might facilitate the reuse of some of the sets from Game of Thrones!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I fully expect it to touch on some of the same ethical themes as Dollhouse, substituting the robots for the dolls and adding in questions about the robots gaining self-awareness.

An HBO show actually completing production? That's a sight for sore eyes.

Forget the show, that is some real science fiction.

I fully expect it to touch on some of the same ethical themes as Dollhouse, substituting the robots for the dolls and adding in questions about the robots gaining self-awareness.

Sounds great, because I've always thought more top tier prestige dramas should take a cue from the true masterpiece that is Dollhouse.
Why yes, I am still beating that dead horse like I'm on the set of Luck.

The interview was a good read I'm glad things seem to be coming along smoothly it's one of my most anticipated shows for this year. Hopefully it makes this year.

Alienware

Glad that they're finally completing production. All signs point to a bow this fall, I mean they have more than enough time to pull it off I think. Hopefully the show holds up to the incredible potential and all the hype that surrounds it.

Ploid 3.0

I have no idea what it's about, and I look forward to watching a episode to find out. The fly on eye gif looks neat.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

LQme2Bj.gif

Dan

Excellent. Looking forward to it.

I wonder if The Leftovers is on track for the fall, I know they're just making the big production move to the new location this week or next. When's the last time HBO aired two dramas at once? It feels like it's been ages.

I wonder if The Leftovers is on track for the fall, I know they're just making the big production move to the new location this week or next. When's the last time HBO aired two dramas at once? It feels like it's been ages.
They also announced Divorce, Insecure, and High Maintenance for the Fall, so I would assume they're running Westworld, those three, + another 30 minute comedy? Could they air more Last Week Tonight?

Dan

They also announced Divorce, Insecure, and High Maintenance for the Fall, so I would assume they're running Westworld, those three, + another 30 minute comedy? Could they air more Last Week Tonight?
Last Week Tonight usually runs into November, so I would expect that.

All of those plus The Leftovers seems like more than Sundays in the fall can handle, particularly with holidays.

It'll be interesting to see HBO's schedule going forward since it's getting pretty big with the huge commitment in comedies. If their drama and miniseries slate finds firm footing in the development/production pipeline, that's probably going to be packed next year too. Basically, HBO's going to need to move beyond the 2.5-3 hour Sunday block sooner rather than later.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

92YJrtj.gif

aww yiss, mothafuckin WESTWORLD

Nice to see HBO isn't a total flop and will be able to (hopefully) get the season out this year.

When's the last time HBO aired two dramas at once? It feels like it's been ages.

I think when they aired repeats of True Detective after new episodes of Boardwalk Empire's final season? So fall 2014?

All of those plus The Leftovers seems like more than Sundays in the fall can handle, particularly with holidays.

Maybe they'll pair The Leftovers with Girls and another half hour next January? Save Vinyl for Summer? Or they could air The Leftovers on November 13, the week after Westworld ends (assuming Westworld starts the week after The Night Of ends).

Maybe they'll pair The Leftovers with Girls and another half hour next January? Save Vinyl for Summer? Or they could air The Leftovers on November 13, the week after Westworld ends (assuming Westworld starts the week after The Night Of ends).
One of the HBO tweets said "October" for Westworld, so I'm not really sure what the plan is...there is a decent gap in the schedule that's unannounced for late summer/early fall.

Dan

The Leftovers wasn't announced as a short season, right? I've been expecting 10 episodes so it'd be tight without doubling up episodes, or going through into January.

Looks like Westworld is 10, Divorce is 10, Insecure is 8, and High Maintenance is 6. So the comedies are probably not all running concurrently. The fact that The Leftovers isn't being mentioned today makes me think it's being held or would be tight on production.

I'm imagining next year having The Leftovers, Vinyl, Game of Thrones, The Deuce, The Young Lion, maybe Westworld: S2, and I think Big Little Lies is an hourlong as well. That could be crowded.

I could see them pumping LWT into a full hour for the election.
Not sure that'd be something John Oliver would be excited about, but who knows. Maybe he'll force himself to do more election coverage.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The Leftovers wasn't announced as a short season, right? I've been expecting 10 episodes so it'd be tight without doubling up episodes, or going through into January.

It is actually shorter - 8 episodes.

maybe Westworld: S2

Everything on HBO gets 2 seasons, so I would be really surprised if it didn't get a season 2. Especially after all the trouble they went through to get season 1 on the air in the first place.

Dan

Ah, okay.

Everything on HBO gets 2 seasons, so I would be really surprised if it didn't get a season 2. Especially after all the trouble they went through to get season 1 on the air in the first place.
I mostly meant it was iffy for 2016 from a production standpoint, not for its pickup chances.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ah, okay.

As an aside, this obsession HBO has with shortening final seasons to only 8 episodes is maddening. It really hurt both Boardwalk Empire and Banshee and I wouldn't be surprised if The Leftovers was also negatively impacted.

I mostly meant it was iffy for 2016 from a production standpoint, not for its pickup chances.

Ah, that makes more sense.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Thank god, I'm still looking forward to this.

Luck :(

Yes I know it got 2 seasons technically

Here's the PR blurb that HBO released earlier this week:
The one-hour drama series WESTWORLD (ten episodes) is a dark odyssey about the dawn of artificial consciousness and the evolution of sin. Set at the intersection of the near future and the reimagined past, it explores a world in which every human appetite, no matter how noble or depraved, can be indulged. The cast includes Anthony Hopkins, Ed Harris, Evan Rachel Wood, James Marsden, Thandie Newton, Jeffrey Wright, Tessa Thompson, Sidse Babett Knudsen, Jimmi Simpson, Rodrigo Santoro, Shannon Woodward, Ingrid Bolsø Berdal, Ben Barnes, Simon Quarterman, Angela Sarafyan, Luke Hemsworth and Clifton Collins, Jr. Inspired by the motion picture “Westworld,” written and directed by Michael Crichton. Production companies, Bad Robot Productions, Jerry Weintraub Productions and Kilter Films in association with Warner Bros. Television. Executive producer/writer/director, Jonathan Nolan; executive producer/writer, Lisa Joy; executive producers, J.J. Abrams, Jerry Weintraub, Bryan Burk.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Wow, High Maintenance is getting a tv show? Saw the web series about 3 years ago and thought it was great.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
‘Westworld’ Creators Talk ‘Game Of Thrones’ Influences, Lack Of Diversity In Westerns

“It was actually Game of Thrones that made us feel like we could pull this off,” Nolan said.

The show blends the sci-fi and western genres, but also features some comedic moments. Nolan joked, “It’s not apparent from the trailer, but it’s actually a workplace situation comedy.”

In a more poignant moment, the lack of diversity in the mostly white, mostly male genre was brought up. To that end, Joy says of Westworld, “I can’t say with this season that we cover all ground and all people, but I will say that we try to do the actors and the characters themselves the service of loving them.”

- IGN: Impressive New Westworld Footage Debuts at ATX Television Festival

During the panel, Co-Creator Jonathan Nolan spoke about why HBO was the best fit for this ambitious project.

"It was actually Game of Thrones that made us feel like we could pull this off," he replied. "The 30-second pitch for Westworld was that we were sort of making Days of Heaven and Alien simultaneously and then putting them together. Which is kind of my dream project, right? Exploring two genres simultaneously and playing with the juxtaposition of both. It's fantastic. And HBO felt like the only place we could make this. And Game of Thrones was really the inspiration for us. Game of Thrones had this commitment to practical production value, which is not necessarily what's in play these days."

While Westworld -- which also counts J.J. Abrams among the executive producers -- isn't a typical western, Lisa Joy still addressed why the genre is so popular and enduring. "You're dealing with people in a lawless land," she said. "In a tabula rasa where you really get to define who you are because the rules are incomplete and the laws are semi-enforced. I think the interesting thing about that is that it forces the characters within these pieces to think about law in terms of a personal code. Because it can't be enforced externally so they have to come up with one on their own. And I think there's a timelessness to that."

"The system doesn't always work for you," she continued. "It's incomplete and it's always evolving. And so in some ways, we're all frontiersmen. And so westerns and sci-fi - which can basically be space westerns - have a timeless appeal and are a really great form for exploring character."
Description of the footage via the link along with a few spoilers and some discussion of the series overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom