• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First teaser trailer for HBO's 'Westworld' (coming Fall 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Link

The HBO rendition of “Westworld” is described as “a dark odyssey about the dawn of artificial consciousness and the future of sin.”

The drama, based on Michael Crichton's 1973 film and written by Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy, stars Anthony Hopkins in his first series-regular role as an inventor who runs an adult amusement park populated by lifelike robots. James Marsden, Evan Rachel Wood, Thandie Newton, Jeffrey Wright and Ed Harris also star.

O87Rnd8.jpg

MOD ABUSE

Here's a roundup of content from the previous thread:

HBO has given a pilot production commitment to Bad Robot and Warner Bros. TV for a series adaptation of the 1973 Yul Brynner cult classic “Westworld,” to be written and helmed by Jonathan Nolan.

Nolan is set to co-write the pilot script with Lisa Joy and direct the pilot. Nolan and Joy will serve as exec producers with Bad Robot’s J.J. Abrams and Bryan Burk and Jerry Weintraub. The original pic was written and directed by Michael Crichton.

The HBO rendition of “Westworld” is described as “a dark odyssey about the dawn of artificial consciousness and the future of sin.” The pilot production commitment is a big one by HBO’s standards, indicated the depth of the pay cabler’s interest in the project.

Source

Mod Abuse

Casting so far:

@HBO is starting to tweet some teaser info.

MLxflOO.jpg

Also, this Vine claims it's coming in 2015(?)

Oh, there it goes:

- THR: HBO's Star-Studded 'Westworld' Adaptation Ordered to Series
It's official: HBO is moving forward with its Westworld adaptation.

The drama, based on Michael Crichton's 1973 film and written by Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy, stars Anthony Hopkins in his first series-regular role as an inventor who runs an adult amusement park populated by lifelike robots. HBO made the announcement Monday via Twitter, with the series coming in 2015.

The drama hails from J.J. Abrams and Bryan Burk's Warner Bros. Television-based Bad Robot Productions, with the duo exec producing alongside Jerry Weintraub,Nolan (who directed the pilot)and Joy. Kathy Lingg will co-EP and Athena Wickham is a producer on the drama. David Coatsworth is set as a co-EP and line producer, with Susie Ekins set as a co-producer. Westworld hails from Bad Robot, Jerry Weintraub Productions and Kilter Films.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the show's androids — played by castmembers including James Marsden, Evan Rachel Wood and Thandie Newton — can be killed off and return with completely different personas, allowing actors to play many characters.
That creative device, one top talent agent said, helped HBO attract a premier cast (which also includes Ed Harris, Miranda Otto and Jeffrey Wright). And unlike the actors on such anthology series as FX's American Horror Story and HBO's own True Detective, which reboot themselves every season, the cast of Westworld is signing multiyear deals.

"This is built as a series and, in terms of storytelling, I think the rules are definitely being broken," HBO programming president Michael Lombardo told THRin August of the sci-fi Western from executive producers J.J. Abrams, Jerry Weintraub and Bryan Burk. "The promise of the show, in terms of where it's going, is exciting to actors, and they want to be a part of this."

Westworld becomes HBO's second drama from Warner Bros. Television, joining Damon Lindelof's adaptation ofThe Leftovers (which has already been renewed). The cabler recently passed over Ryan Murphy's sexuality drama pilot Open, from 20th Century Fox Television.

Westworld is HBO's first project with Bad Robot, which also produces CBS' Person of Interest and Hulu's upcoming event series 11/22/63. The banner recently saw the demise of Revolution, Almost Human and Believe. Abrams' credits include Fringe, Alcatraz and Lost. He's currently prepping Star Wars: Episode VII as well as the next installments in the Mission: Impossible and Star Trek franchises. Abrams' Bad Robot is also prepping a miniseries based on Rod Serling's (The Twilight Zone) final and unproduced screenplay, The Stops Along the Way. A network is not yet attached.

For HBO, Westworld comes as the network recently said farewell to True Blood, and is wrapping the final seasons of Emmy darling Boardwalk Empire and Aaron Sorkin's The Newsroom. Westworld joins an HBO drama roster that also includes Game of Thrones, The Leftovers, True Detective and Utopia.

HBO PR said:
Logline: WESTWORLD is a dark odyssey about the dawn of artificial consciousness and the future of sin.

Format: One-hour drama.

Production Companies: Bad Robot Productions, Jerry Weintraub Productions and Kilter Films in association with Warner Bros. Television.

Executive Producer/Writer/Director: Jonathan Nolan.
Executive Producer/Writer: Lisa Joy.
Executive Producers: J.J. Abrams, Jerry Weintraub, Bryan Burk.
Co-Executive Producer: Kathy Lingg.
Producer: Athena Wickham.
Co-Producer: Susie Ekins.
Inspired by the motion picture “Westworld,” written and directed by Michael Crichton.

Cast: Anthony Hopkins, Ed Harris, Evan Rachel Wood, James Marsden, Thandie Newton, Jeffrey Wright, Miranda Otto, Rodrigo Santoro, Shannon Woodward, Ingrid Bolsø Berdal, Angela Sarafyan, Simon Quarterman.

Via Jeffrey Wright's twitter: Vine Teaser for Westworld.

New pic via EW:

yMxe8OV.jpg

The picture comes with this article, but I'm getting an error page at the moment. Presumably they'll get it fixed sometime soon.

EDIT: Article is up now:
“It’s a place where you can be whoever you want to be and there are no consequences—no rules, no limitations,” Nolan says. “What happens in Westworld, stays in Westworld.” Including the plot: Details remain under wraps, but expect Hopkins to play the park’s brilliant creative visionary and Harris to portray a killer robot gunslinger (a role made famous in the film by Yul Brynner).

“It’s sci-fi but mashed-up with a Western,” says co-creator Lisa Joy. “We get to look backward and forward.” But not as far forward as you might think—the future- shock ideas in the script are largely based on technology that is rapidly becoming more science than fiction.

“What we can tell you is that we intend to make the most ambitious, subversive, f–ked-up television series,” says Nolan. “The things that keep you up at night, any of those things that trouble you—that is exactly what the show is about.”

- EW: 'Westworld' hints from Jonathan Nolan suggest HBO's drama has great, freaky potential (interview)
Here’s what you already know: HBO’s upcoming Westworld is an adaptation of the 1973 film written and directed by visionary author Michael Crichton. Like the author’s best-known work, Jurassic Park, it’s about a theme park where unique attractions (in Westworld‘s case, lifelike androids) break from their assigned roles and kill the guests. Unlike Jurassic Park, Westworld was just barely explored as a concept—the film mostly followed two guests in the Wild West area of the park (which also had a Roman World and Medieval World).

HBO’s series version is from Intersteller and Dark Knight co-writer Jonathan Nolan (brother of director Christopher) and Lisa Joy (Burn Notice), along with uber-producer J.J. Abrams and several others. It also boasts an impressive cast led by Anthony Hopkins, James Marsden, Even Rachel Wood, and Jeffrey Wright.

Now here’s what you may not know: Nolan and Joy are looking to explore some very big, dark and timely ideas in this show. Naturally, since the project combines an Abrams and a Nolan, Westworld is currently a smorgasbord of secrecy. But we tried our best to get you a few hints in this interview with Nolan and Joy about one of 2015’s most intriguing new series.
Full interview via the link.

New pics, too:

9EpcAPE.jpg

EDIT: Looks like it's a more complete version of the previous EW interview. Worth a quick look if you're interested in the series.

A few Westworld posters that were snapped over at the MIPTV festival in Cannes right now. There's no telling if this is final key art for the show, but it's something:

OWfBRxE.jpg

Ztxi6kC.jpg

From a THR cover story on HBO:

- HBO's Real-Life Game of Thrones: The Fight to Stay Rich, on Top and Score Bill Simmons
Eager to replicate Thrones' success, HBO has loaded up on other period and "otherworld" epics, including adaptations of the futuristic sci-fi film Westworld (from J.J. Abrams and Jonathan Nolan) and the U.K. genre conspiracy thriller Utopia (David Fincher and Gone Girl's Gillian Flynn). The noisier, the better, suggests HBO's drama chief Michael Ellenberg, who says of the crowded landscape, "Your biggest fear is that you put something out there and no one gives a shit." But mounting that next batch of would-be blockbusters won't come easy. Already, Westworld has blown its initial plan to launch later this year. "The pilot is a really powerful starting point," says Lombardo, "but when you're doing a series, you go, 'OK, so what's the next episode? What's bringing you in?' You can't just be a spectacle every week."
So are they going to push it back to 2016? This is the first I've heard of it.

Another THR article from a couple of days ago:
Based on Michael Crichton's 1973 film, Westworld centers on an inventor (Anthony Hopkins in his first series regular role) who runs an adult amusement park populated by lifelike robots. The project boasts an A-list cast that also includes James Marsden, Evan Rachel Wood, Ed Harris, Thandie Newton, Jeffrey Wright and Miranda Otto. The series is slated to premiere later this year.
*shrugs*

Looks like the 2016 release is official
#Westworld EP Jonathan Nolan just surprised #SDCC fans with footage from the new series, coming to #HBO in 2016. Follow to see new photos.
Tweet

They tweeted some pics as well

‘Westworld’ Adds ‘House Of Cards’, Borgen’ & ‘Once Upon A Time’ Actors To Cast

With Miranda Otto having now exited Westworld, Sidse Babbett Knudsen to take over the role Otto played in the pilot - Theresa Cullen, the pivotal operations head of Westworld.

Eion Bailey will now portray Logan on Westworld. A self-indulgent ladies man who is a return visitor to Westworld, the character is well versed in inhaling all the pleasures that it has to offer. At the same time, Logan is looking out for his Westworld newbie friend William who comes to see the park in a whole new way over time.

Jimmi Simpson, who has been a presence on House of Cards the past two seasons as troubled tech wiz Gavin Orsay, plays the William character.

Pacific Rim actor Clifton Collins Jr, will play Lawrence, a sly criminal who really knows his way around Westworld.

One more minor recasting note:
EW said:
There’s a casting change behind the scenes on HBO’s Westworld: Actor Eion Bailey (Once Upon a Time) is leaving the sci-fi thriller a week after he was announced as joining the show. A scheduling conflict emerged before Bailey started, and now Ben Barnes (The Chronicles of Narnia franchise) is taking over the role of Logan.

The character is described as a “louche bachelor and veteran Westworld guest. His hedonistic romp through Westworld is equally motivated by self-indulgence and a desire to help his friend, William.”

Westworld stars James Marsden, Evan Rachel Wood, Thandie Newton, Anthony Hopkins, Jeffrey Wright and Ed Harris in the series version of Michael Crichton’s techno-thriller about androids run amok at a fantasy-fulfilling theme park. Previously, actress Miranda Otto left the series after shooting the pilot after her character was re-conceived, and joined the fifth season of Showtime’s Homeland. The show is planned for 2016.

OngrJ2B.jpg

WOW. That was amazing.
I've been way more excited for Vinyl, but right now i'm super excited for both.
Ed Harris looks awesome.

Boom. I am nicely teased. Loved the Yul Brynner bad guy. Relentless. The original terminator.

Hope they've captured that same creepiness for the big bad cowboy bot.

Nobility

Banned
I'm all in.

My most anticipated new show at the moment.

Won me over the moment I heard Jonathan Nolan was involved.

I thought it was John Hawkes too, but... no mention anywhere of him. Who else could it be?

Edit: Not him, too young. Looks like him though. =)

WOW. That was amazing.
I've been way more excited for Vinyl, but right now i'm super excited for both.
Ed Harris looks awesome.
And yes, i know i posted the same thing in the other thread :)

bengraven

I'm sorry, I love Westworld and all, but I really wish HBO was making an actual western series with this cast.

Looks fantastic and I'm in like fucking Flynn, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom