• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First No Time to Die Reviews

Aurelius

pFLZdUBG.jpeg

BlackTron

This is great news. I watched a lot of Bond yesterday when I found a marathon on TV. After catching most of Goldeneye I missed a big chunk of Tomorrow Never Dies because I had to pop in the N64 game. The music and locations triggered so many memories of the game. So I'm feeling really high on Bond right now but didn't realize the new movie was here already.

I really couldn't take another disappointment in this franchise so these reviews are reassuring but of course you never really know until you watch it.

I am ready for a really strong Bond movie and even more ready after that to get to the next actor. Craig is aight but damn watching Brosnin again really highlighted how much better you can do.

wood96

Banned
For me this no time to die srt film was perfect! Exciting, tense, heart breaking, just epic from start to finish. We watched all the previous Daniel Craig bonds in a week and I think that made a real difference. The heartbreak in the final film was close to bringing me to tears, my gf was gone lol. It was a blend of the old and new generation, with hints to the old traditional 'cheesey' lines, "it blew his mind".... classic.

NinjaBoiX

Yeah, I really enjoyed it too, watched it at home with the folks over Christmas. But the villain was a bit lame, in terms of his motivations. And my parents seemed a little confused by the narrative at parts, lol.

I think they were going for a more grounded villain, but he ended up coming across a little toothless.

But the set pieces and overall flow were great, even if it was a little long.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Yeah, I really enjoyed it too, watched it at home with the folks over Christmas. But the villain was a bit lame, in terms of his motivations. And my parents seemed a little confused by the narrative at parts, lol.

I think they were going for a more grounded villain, but he ended up coming across a little toothless.

But the set pieces and overall flow were great, even if it was a little long.
I will respecfully disagree with you there. I think Safin, was Craig's strongest villain. Yes, even better than Le Chiffre or Silva. Clear, understandable motivations. A clear physical threat in terms of skills. A massive threat in terms of danger (I mean killer nanobots). Everything he set out to accomplish, he kind of did. Bond Villain Stupidity didn't apply to him. He was that smart.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Ana de Armas could be the next Sophia Boutella. Well, almost. She has the ability to sell a really good fight scene but not at the level of Boutella who just has MORE athleticism.

pramod

Banned
I will respecfully disagree with you there. I think Safin, was Craig's strongest villain. Yes, even better than Le Chiffre or Silva. Clear, understandable motivations. A clear physical threat in terms of skills. A massive threat in terms of danger (I mean killer nanobots). Everything he set out to accomplish, he kind of did. Bond Villain Stupidity didn't apply to him. He was that smart.
So smart he had a gun pointed right at a helpless Bond and couldnt kill him?

SJRB

Gold Member

Safin had zero explained motivation for anything after he destroyed Spectre. They 100% forgot to include this in the movie, which is why the final act lacks any kind of urgency beyond some arbitrary countdown timer.

Easily my biggest gripe with an otherwise solid movie. Le Chiffre is a god-tier villain compared to Safin.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Safin had zero explained motivation for anything after he destroyed Spectre. They 100% forgot to include this in the movie, which is why the final act lacks any kind of urgency beyond some arbitrary countdown timer.

Easily my biggest gripe with an otherwise solid movie. Le Chiffre is a god-tier villain compared to Safin.
I found it quite clear. It's obvious that his tragic life warped him that much, and his twisted affection for Swann led to the rest.

Tams

Gold Member
The premise for his character was great and there were the beginnings of it being fleshed out, but by the final act he was still basically a no one. So sorry, but as it is he's just a mediocre villain.

I think they dug themselves a hole making his villain only have one film. It needed two at least.

The thing with the villains of old Bonds is that they were mediocre to begin with, so that their stories could be crammed into one film and meet the limited expectations people had.

Batiman

Banned
Just watched this yesterday. It’s probably the third best Craig film. CR and SF are still better. The plot was a bit messy and generic but there was a lot of great scenes that carried it. Not sure how the baddie got beaten by bond in the end though. That shit used to happen in every 90s action movies. Typical stupid villain steps too close to a badass hero

YCoCg

Is it just me or this movie has some heavy Metal Gear vibes?
Oh easily, the main plot is basically FOXDIE from MGS1 rewritten, the entire finale act has scenes that resemble Shadow Moses too such as the part near the end when Bond is rushing to the top of the tower fighting his way up with similiar camera angles to the staircase climb fight in MGS1, etc.

Top Bottom