• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at PS5 UI

Not exactly correct title, first look we got from the Russians on a dirty TV in low res last week.

Now, overall, it’s ok, nothing spectacular. Can’t really make a ruling on will I like it more than the one on PS4. I like that it has sufficient amount of difference from the current one. Now they really need to finally add Serbo-Croatian system language. It’s high time.

Neo_game

Does anyone know how much RAM is used by the OS, apps ? Pro had 1gb extra DDR RAM I guess for OS, apps but in official specs only 8gb GDDR5 was mentioned. Is it same for PS5 ? Dynamic theme at 4K is cool to have and all these UI features but if it comes at a cost of GDDR6 then I am not sure it is worth it.

Orpheum

tenor.gif

Looks really cool

Sw0pDiller

It feel kinda busy atm but just like any website you'll get used to it and will apreciate the shortcuts that those "cards" will provide. Sometimes i get a couple messages or invites and when i dont press the ps buttorn fast enough i must get into notifications and look for it. Now it seems like that meassage is maybey the 3rd card so i can more easely make us of it.

i found the IU of PS4 logical and never really searched in wrong places and could find my way info games and stuff really fast. now this is more of an innovation upon that base and i like it. most PS4 users will find their way trough the system really fast. + no need for quick resume with these boottimes. Like PS4 going into suspend is like a quick resume on i's own. just like PS4 has.

ZywyPL

Banned
Does anyone know how much RAM is used by the OS, apps ? Pro had 1gb extra DDR RAM I guess for OS, apps but in official specs only 8gb GDDR5 was mentioned. Is it same for PS5 ? Dynamic theme at 4K is cool to have and all these UI features but if it comes at a cost of GDDR6 then I am not sure it is worth it.

There is no official info yet, but it is rumored that PS5 OS will occupy just 2-2.5GB of RAM.

ZywyPL

Banned
I've tried to place them contextually from a cold boot to make more sense. So you'd log in

5owCI7.jpg

See the main menu which is split into gaming and media, and you can swap between the store, games etc

qkVuT8.jpg

aD75Ur.jpg

j8uZnA.jpg

Pressing down here will take you to the 'Play' Menu for that title where you can jump straight into game modes

XGEgTD.jpg

At any point you can drop into the control centre by pressing the playstation button, game is in suspended state in background

zeAScx.jpg

Here, you can check friends list, controller charge etc

MEKTcJ.jpg

This menu will also show context aware 'cards' for the system and games

dVULi2.jpg

Cards can show activites - in the Sackboy example, each hub on the floor is an 'activity'. The card can then show you further details of the activity. Some of these cards can hold shortcuts to those exact places in the game

qVGNxj.jpg

dwqL2y.jpg

Thse activites can also act as shortcuts to hint videos which can be played in an overlay without leaving the game

uVE0fm.jpg

pWc5EZ.jpg

These cards can be snapped

dbIiKB.jpg

That's the biggest issue I have with the new UI - those gorgeous golden sparks are nowhere to be found other than the login screen :/

DonJorginho

Banned
That's the biggest issue I have with the new UI - those gorgeous golden sparks are nowhere to be found other than the login screen :/
Going off the Russian Leaks they will be on the home page/settings pages when games aren't running I believe.

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
As the menu will be accessible anytime, 4K menus eat up more RAM, and apparently not a small amount. That’s what he means by putting resources towards games.

Personally though, I prefer to just eat the RAM cost and have the whole experience looking lovely, for the next generation.
As I said earlier in another threat, neither will keep a full 4k buffer allocated for the OS when you're playing a game. At least Sony's SSD is so fast, they throw out and load assets as they see fit for the UI. This might be more challenging for the XSX SSD, which might be why they might settle for 1080p UI.

T-Cake

I love the welcome screen with the particles whizzing about but not a fan of the dirty brown colour. I hope that's something that can be changed, I should think so considering it was on PS4. They may even have new animations as well as the particles.

I don't know what value the cards will have in non-linear games like Assassin's Creed or something though. They seem just suited to games that have individual levels.

As the menu will be accessible anytime, 4K menus eat up more RAM, and apparently not a small amount. That’s what he means by putting resources towards games.

Personally though, I prefer to just eat the RAM cost and have the whole experience looking lovely, for the next generation.

Ok I read it there Sony should have spent the money developing games instead of the UI.

With that said we really don't know how much more ram it takes up. Heck someone suggested that it could be stored in the SSD until it's needed which would free up ram.

The good thing about Sonys ram setup is that the ram is unified. They don't have to worry about OS allocation as much.

I guess we just need more information.

cudiye

Any confirmation of a 1440p output? I’m using a 144hz monitor to take full advantage of any games that may utilize 120hz (or lack thereof)

Finally got a chance to watch this at home on my 55" in 4K. it looks so good!!

Definitely more impressed that when I first saw it on my phone earlier. The UI elements look perfect sized now.

Also LBP looks amazing. Have not been excited about LBP since the first one. But will pick this one up.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Please go back to the XMB.
While easy to use, the XMB simply looks arcane, and doesn't really take advantage of 4k TVs, which have tons of real estate to work with. The UI looks gorgeous on my 55" 4k TV. I'm really loving the look. The XMB was fine for its time, but is just outdated now. There's something to be said for the added visual flair of the new UI. It also gives devs a chance to incorporate more of the game menu in the dash, as I can imagine hopping between game modes in NBA2K21 might be easier with them showing up as cards in the CC. I imagine opening the CC in the middle of a myLeague game, and hopping over to futz around with some contract stuff in my Career, then hopping online to play a game against a friend, before resuming the myLeague game afterwards. All without having to perform the multiple button clicks to exit one mode up through multiple layers of the game UI, just to tunnel back down through multiple layers of a different game mode.

That's how I see it working out, anyway. Reality will probably just see 1st party games using it as shown in the video, while all 3rd party games do is show trophies and multiplayer. Trophies are already pulled from the PSN profile, and multiplayer is probably an endpoint called already by the OS.

Last edited:

ksdixon

the idea is the same but execution is very different, in Sonys favour obvs

i just wanna know if you can do that with twitch, youtube and stuff, worse thing about SNAP was how it made your gameplay screen smaller but the fact this one has ability to put it over your gameplay should make it more useable

I want to know if you can snap/p-i-p your previously recorded footage from capture gallery. That would reduce a lot of jumping between game and capture gallery to cross reference things

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Looking forward to how far they let Themes customise the look and feel of the UI. For example it would be good if an Uncharted theme could have a kind of degraded edge on the card style.

seanoff

Surely with the ssd they can have a kernel of the ui running and just call it up from the ssd. May as well use that speed.

Fake

Are PRO already using a native 4K user interface?

IMO is a terrible excuse. They could reserve resource for that.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

When you are playing a game, the menu is not rendered in 4K and is quickly available through the SSD.

Or you know they just think its bad?
Can we stop with this kind of gamefaqs level posts??
"Hur dur some people dont like it they are FaNbOyS of xy"

Getting tired reading such shit here on Gaf
So leave bro...no reason to make it personal. I was just being funny and own both. This is the internet, I don't know why you are taking it so seriously. Stop being so damn offended by everything, good lord.

Last edited:
Looks like it and it seems quicker than the XSX.

Lets take it easy for a moment. One was tested by actual users with the hardware on games not optimized for it and the other was a very controlled video made by sony.

Lets see how it behaves in real life on games for both platforms that are optimized for both before we go running for the hills.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
Lets take it easy for a moment. One was tested by actual users with the hardware on games not optimized for it and the other was a very controlled video made by sony.

Lets see how it behaves in real life on games for both platforms that are optimized for both before we go running for the hills.
Key word is seems, gotta remember DAS was loaded from a cold boot and it was lightning fast.

Dibils2k

yeah, i remember SNAP looked incredibly smooth and fast in pre-release "walkthrough" videos for Xbox One

we know how that turned out

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Its weird even though it isnt a complete break away from the ps4 main menu I like this one like 1000 x more.

Last edited:

Yoboman

yeah, i remember SNAP looked incredibly smooth and fast in pre-release "walkthrough" videos for Xbox One

we know how that turned out
Internet will be a big factor. I doubt my shitty Australian internet holds up a stream and online play at the same time very well

Top Bottom