• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at PS5 UI

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
"The PS5 can learn how long it will take you to complete a certain level"

ZFt8Kvu.png

MastaKiiLA

Having another proper look at the video with pauses between each section for me to analyse. I think the cards are not only restricted to levels but modes too. I seen a card for 8v8 multiplayer lobby. So I'm hoping instead of launching a game like Street Fighter and having to skip logos. There are cards for each mode such as a card for ranked online, a card for local versus mode etc. So when selecting a card I go directly into that part of the game without the need to see the logos and intros.
Yes, it looks like they're trying to integrate game menus in the OS. So traditional in-game menus might be able to be replaced by cards and other menu items already in the quick menu UI.

YodaBB

Just got in and watched this, looks pretty good. Right at the end with the white LED, does that confirm it's RGB or did we know that already?

Fox Mulder

It looks fine.

I just hope it’s snappy and not slowed down by dumb shit design choices. Like on the ps4, I have to load into a laggy ass TV & Video menu just to watch YouTube. You have to scroll past content ads and apps you don’t even have installed. I don’t even know what Pluto tv or funimation are but they’re sorted before Vudu I use every day. It’s stupid.

yurinka

Yes, it looks like they're trying to integrate game menus in the OS. So traditional in-game menus might be able to be replaced by cards and other menu items already in the quick menu UI.
No, the in-game menus are still there. I think cards are for:
-Providing quick shortcuts to certain other parts of this and other games
-Providing quick shortcuts to key OS features you want to have accesible (like a recent screenshot or a party/online match invite)
-Show progress of more frequent and shorter achievements than trophies (so you can play for a few minutes and feel good because you achieved something)
-Show progress of trophies you may achieve soon
-Use these quick shortcuts outside the game too, so you can boot the game directly to that portion of the game (let's say it's a specific portion of a stage, a certain game mode, etc)

This is also a feature on the Nintendo Switch with its News Tab, so its cool to see Sony lift that concept.
Yes, but in Switch is more hidden, and once you open it, it's too invasive with the whole screen full of games you don't care about

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

First Impressions:

I like how fast the whole thing is, once again showing why SSD is a godsend for this gen. I also like how they streamlined the social elements compared to the PS4, they're a bit less "In Your Face" here than they were on PS4, prioritizing your games and content first before showing you everything else.

Some nitpicks however. I'm not a fan of how big the cards are, I think making them a bit smaller would make it less cluttered. Also, with the game screens taking up the entire screen on the home menu now, does that mean themes as a concept are dead? They already removed the option to purchase themes from the PS Store on PC and Mobile, so it seems like PS5 will have no themes at all. Otherwise, I'd say I'm satisfied at the moment.

Myths

They’d be backtracking two decades if they didn’t let users customize the order and overall organization of apps and content.

Some of you guys need to learn to be patient and not be so simple as to conclude that’s all there is to offer in UI/UX.

Tripolygon

Banned
Lots of cool details in the UI that i missed. The Sacboy cards has one to take you into story mode called Adventure so you can continue from your last checkpoint. It has an overworld picture rather than the zipper ones that take you to a particular level.

1vIEStL.jpg

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
Looks good but I want a seperate tab for applications to go alongside games and media.

Edit: Or better yet, let me create my own custom tabs and move things where I want them.

images

I am more interested in getting Sackboy now tho.

What applications? Store, ps plus, psnow should have they're own tabs. I guess it's probably redundant since they each have they're own hub anyway. All they would be doing is moving the tiles to the top and making a tab.

I think they'll have more individual tabs by launch and after. They said the UI isn't final and things will change a little bit.

Last edited:
Thankfully this doesn't looks like Windows shit.

I was hoping for a new UI on XSX too. Fcking MS going on with that fugly userface.

Honestly, looks like shit. Same with Xbox. Tons of irrelevant crap, making it feel cluttered.

That said, it's not that important that it makes or breaks a console that it looks like crap UI-wise. Seeing some of the functionality was nice at least. However any "news" bar has no place at all in a console. Honestly, I hope you can strip down the UI to its absolute minimum. All kinds of irrelevant information and clutter is just another thing in the way of gaming. It's one of the things I dislike with my PS4, how it's filled with irrelevant information everywhere. As well as how terrible it is to actually go into something specific if you haven't used it already.

I'm glad they're keeping the good PS4 features at least.

I feel like the most important feature for an UI is customizability. Because people have different preferences, meaning that for some it'll be great and for others it will be abysmal. It's like seeing the different UIs of WoW players. Some love to have cluttered shit everywhere, others want things as minimalistic as possible.

Well, not that much different from PS4, so I'll learn to live with it. I'd love to see how it looks like if you have 40+ games on your console. Also if dynamic themes and thematic icons are gonna work. One of the really great things about PS3 and PS4 was that visual customizability. Though I honestly wish things were customizable in just about any manner.

MHubert

I honestly haven't tried it because I don't see the point. It's too limited as a tool to make games (you should do that on PC) and didn't seem to offer any compelling professionally made games.
Well, I recommend that you check out what it is at some point. Maybe then you will see what I mean about integrating it into the OS. I don't know why you insist that it has to be about making games.

Yoboman

Honestly, looks like shit. Same with Xbox. Tons of irrelevant crap, making it feel cluttered.

That said, it's not that important that it makes or breaks a console that it looks like crap UI-wise. Seeing some of the functionality was nice at least. However any "news" bar has no place at all in a console. Honestly, I hope you can strip down the UI to its absolute minimum. All kinds of irrelevant information and clutter is just another thing in the way of gaming. It's one of the things I dislike with my PS4, how it's filled with irrelevant information everywhere. As well as how terrible it is to actually go into something specific if you haven't used it already.

I'm glad they're keeping the good PS4 features at least.

I feel like the most important feature for an UI is customizability. Because people have different preferences, meaning that for some it'll be great and for others it will be abysmal. It's like seeing the different UIs of WoW players. Some love to have cluttered shit everywhere, others want things as minimalistic as possible.

Well, not that much different from PS4, so I'll learn to live with it. I'd love to see how it looks like if you have 40+ games on your console. Also if dynamic themes and thematic icons are gonna work. One of the really great things about PS3 and PS4 was that visual customizability. Though I honestly wish things were customizable in just about any manner.
Nothing either of these consoles are carrying over from their last versions are useless. They both have the user metrics to indicate whether a function is used and if its worth continuing

News may be useless to most of us on this forum in tune to gaming news, but could be super useful for more casual gamers who use it as an update source about their favourite games

yurinka

Does it have quick resume?

source.gif
In the menu that appears in the bottom of the screen there is an icon showing the current game and this option is named 'Switcher'. And when it moves from a game to the other it doesn't show the confirmation screen that appears in PS4 letting you know that if you open a game it closes the previous one.

So who knows if it can suspend more than one game and switch from one to another using that option. They will talk more about the OS and its features in upcoming videos.

The Last of Us Part 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Dreams, Demon Souls and Spiderman Man Miles Morales?

What you said could he applied to the competition though.
I'd bet he's talking about the competition.

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

It does look better then PS4's current UI, which I actually think it's okay, but too slow. It might not be an issue anymore because of the SSD, what makes it way better already.

But I hope you can reorder and remove the tiles you don't want to in the main page. I don't really care for the "Explore" tile for example and would rather see a folder with my installed games first for example.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Looks really nice. I like that it gives you an estimate of how long it is going to take to complete the current level. Also love the pretty much non-existent loading times. The dash looks really intuitive and attractive.

-Arcadia-

Banned
The Last of Us Part 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Dreams, Demon Souls and Spiderman Man Miles Morales?

What you said could he applied to the competition though.

As the menu will be accessible anytime, 4K menus eat up more RAM, and apparently not a small amount. That’s what he means by putting resources towards games.

Personally though, I prefer to just eat the RAM cost and have the whole experience looking lovely, for the next generation.

Imagine putting more resources towards games in 2020

MrFunSocks

Banned
Looks nice. Don't like the whole "activities" and "cards" things, and I highly doubt that anything outside of first party games will support much for the "activities" since they're basically just level selects for the sackboy game etc.

The picture in picture and snap looked fantastic. I was very annoyed when they got rid of snap on the Xbox One, great to see Sony see the value in it. Looked very smooth and impressive. The only thing I didn't particularly like was how the pop-up elements like invites and parties and stuff weren't all in a set position. Some were top right, some were middle left, etc. Oh and I don't like the giant cards taking up most of the screen on the "control centre" when you press the PS button in game. remove them and just have the bottom menu and it would be much better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom