• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at PS5 UI

MHubert

It looks sleek and sexy, and all in all I think Sony did a brilliant job.

... However, I'm also a bit disappointed. Until the last minute, I was a firm believer (hoper) that they would integrate Dreams into the OS. Sony has one of the most revolutionary pieces of software right in their hands and right now its potential is slowly withering away because they don't know how to utilize it. Imagine being able to create and share your own avatar, theme song or homespace that your friends can visit straight from the home screen. What a missed opportunity...

Last edited:

Piku_Ringo

Banned
It looks sleek and sexy, and all in all I think Sony did a brilliant job.

... However, I'm also a bit disappointed. Until the last minute, I was a firm believer (hoper) that they would integrate Dreams into the OS. Sony has one of the most revolutionary pieces of software right in their hands and right now its potential is slowly withering away because they don't know how to utilize it... What a missed opportunity.
uUfqiYN.gif

Jubenhimer

It's also cool to see that you can follow certain games and publishers, so you get the news/spam from them (plus PlayStation/whoever Sony wants to highlight) and not from other stuff you aren't interested about.
This is also a feature on the Nintendo Switch with its News Tab, so its cool to see Sony lift that concept.

Azurro

Banned
I honestly think it would have been a brilliant idea.

Dreams was something that went way beyond a level editor like its predecessors, it tried to become a game creator tool. A game creator tool that is very limited, proprietary, time constrained, came out at the end of the generation and is now useless.

It was an enormous waste of time and money on Sony's part.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
As long as it’s snappy what ever is fine. Doubt I will interact with anything more then what dlc is available in game like I did on PS4.

Simpler is better to me, scrolling thru half dozen boxes to get to the mp invite seems a bit much but what ever. Sure I’ll get used to it.

Azurro

Banned
On topic, it looks really nice, smooth and I like that PiP mode, it will be great to use when I play multiplayer games with family, not much else to say.

Kimahri

Banned
If you bring up the quick menu it doesn't pause. It only pauses when you go to the home screen and IMO the only reason it's doing that is because of performance reasons.

That's not what we were talking about though. That requires a long press, a simple push brings you to home, and pauses the game.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Dreams was something that went way beyond a level editor like its predecessors, it tried to become a game creator tool. A game creator tool that is very limited, proprietary, time constrained, came out at the end of the generation and is now useless.

This man gets it.

MHubert

That is exactly why it would have been a perfect fit for the OS. You don't need to make games - you can create and share avatars, theme songs, 'gifts', your own homespace etc.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
That is exactly why it would have been a perfect fit for the OS. You don't need to make games - you can create and share avatars, theme songs, 'gifts', your own homespace etc.

It would require to pack in move controllers and a camera for a niche, limited feature (Kinnect anyone?). If someone is that into making a game, they can just pick up a PC and start learning how to make one, Dreams was just unnecessary and a silly expense.

Last edited:

MHubert

It would require to pack in move controllers and a camera for a niche, limited feature (Kinnect anyone?). If someone is that into making a game, they can just pick up a PC and start learning how to make one, Dreams was just unnecessary and a silly expense.
It works excellent with a ds4... Have you even tried it?

And as I said, it would be excellent for all kinds of stuff besides making games.

yurinka

I think it just needs time. Once they include it in PS Plus for PS4 and in PS Collection for PS5 I'm pretty sure it will be a hit as Little Big Planet was. In fact, I'd had included it preinstalled in all PS5s like Astro's Playroom.

No, it doesn't need a camera or Move, it works perfectly with a DS4 only.

Last edited:
Your opinion is wrong, sorry.

As someone else said that particular shot is a new* PS5 what's going on type section. If you look at one of the game icons it's pretty clean with the usual "background image of game, details about this game, press play" type stuff. As you scroll down further it hides the upper icons to create an even more minimal look.
For me i aint wrong as its my opinion, others will disagree and thats cool right?

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
I dig the design, we will see how it does once I get my hands on it. It does look snappy and pretty though.

pr0cs

Looks okay, not really much different than PS4 I suppose but in some ways consistency is a good thing.
Maybe it's me but the cards and other stuff seem to take way too much space based on what little information is actually on there. I suppose that 'material' type design is big with companies now but I just find it sort of wasteful in regards to screen real-estate.

decisions

Sony did a great job here. It looks like they improved it in every way and added some innovations as well. Of course I will actually have to use it to see, but it definitely makes a strong first impression.

Meanwhile Xbox's UI is still stuck in Windows 8-style tile hell. Seriously that company has absolutely braindead UI/UX sense.

yurinka

Can you timestamp that for me? Maybe I missed it. I can't remember which console it was, but you could hold down a certain button and it would boot you directly into that game upon powering up the console. Is that what you mean? I'd like that.
The footage starts with what you see once you turn on your PS5 (0:38), with a screen asking you to press the PS button to turn on and sync the controller. Then in 1:35 they select a PSN user and instantly loads/resumes in a couple of seconds or so the game being played -Sackboy- when the console was put in 'rest' (suspend) mode.

It basically works like PS4, Vita and so on: instead of totally switching off the console, it's put in stand by, so once you turn it on the game you were playing is there in the same place you left it (unless it was in the middle of a multiplayer online match, obviously).

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
It works excellent with a ds4... Have you even tried it?

And as I said, it would be excellent for all kinds of stuff besides making games.

I honestly haven't tried it because I don't see the point. It's too limited as a tool to make games (you should do that on PC) and didn't seem to offer any compelling professionally made games.

tryDEATH

No wonder they held this back for so long.

Too much clutter and it copies design cues from Xbox. PS is trying too hard to make everything bespoke and in doing so over do it, simplicity is something they arent very good with and it shows.

Sony moving toward Xbox with the controller design and UI tells you everything you need about the state of Sony at this point and time. A shadow of its former self.

Yoboman

Too much clutter and it copies design cues from Xbox. PS is trying too hard to make everything bespoke and in doing so over do it, simplicity is something they arent very good with and it shows.

Sony moving toward Xbox with the controller design and UI tells you everything you need about the state of Sony at this point and time. A shadow of its former self.
How is the UI like Xbox?

Azurro

Banned

Ah, so you were itching to come back to troll after a few weeks in the bench?

No I'm really interested how Sony is copying a UI that spent all gen being updated to become more and more PS4 like

He's a raging Xbox fanboy troll, don't pay too much attention to the guy.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
Having another proper look at the video with pauses between each section for me to analyse. I think the cards are not only restricted to levels but modes too. I seen a card for 8v8 multiplayer lobby. So I'm hoping instead of launching a game like Street Fighter and having to skip logos. There are cards for each mode such as a card for ranked online, a card for local versus mode etc. So when selecting a card I go directly into that part of the game without the need to see the logos and intros.

Sony did a great job here. It looks like they improved it in every way and added some innovations as well. Of course I will actually have to use it to see, but it definitely makes a strong first impression.

Meanwhile Xbox's UI is still stuck in Windows 8-style tile hell. Seriously that company has absolutely braindead UI/UX sense.
It’s baffling since they’re supposed to be the worlds number one software company.

tryDEATH

Ah, so you were itching to come back to troll after a few weeks in the bench?

He's a raging Xbox fanboy troll, don't pay too much attention to the guy.
No one is trolling i am giving my opinion, you dont have to like it. Trolling is your job.

Top Bottom