• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at PS5 UI

Piku_Ringo

Banned
WHASSUP ITS YOUR BOY JIM RYAN BACK AGAIN WITH ANOTHER SACKBOY GUIDE. TODAY WE ARE GOING TO BE LOOKING AT UNLOCKING SOME COSTUMES. BUT FIRST MAKE SURE TO DROP A LIKE, HIT SUBSCRIBE, SMACK THAT BELL ICON LIKE IT OWES YOU MONEY. TODAYS VIDEO IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY RAID SHADOW VPN.

JSdSVPe.png

mckmas8808

Banned
What possessed them to de-prioritise the last game you played on the home screen? When people boot up a system, there's a 90% chance the first thing they're going to do is select the last game they played. News? Screenshots? How on earth are they the first two?

And progress being shown on the thumbnails will do my head in. I haven't regularly 100%'ed a game since I was a kid. It's going to mess with my OCD seeing all these incomplete percentages.

I'm disappointed so far. I wanted to see just a faster, snappier version of my PS4 OS.

I think that's the point lol.

Yoboman

What possessed them to de-prioritise the last game you played on the home screen? When people boot up a system, there's a 90% chance the first thing they're going to do is select the last game they played. News? Screenshots? How on earth are they the first two?

And progress being shown on the thumbnails will do my head in. I haven't regularly 100%'ed a game since I was a kid. It's going to mess with my OCD seeing all these incomplete percentages.

I'm disappointed so far. I wanted to see just a faster, snappier version of my PS4 OS.
The console literally boots into Sackboy which was the game last played

jigglet

Banned
The console literally boots into Sackboy which was the game last played

Can you timestamp that for me? Maybe I missed it. I can't remember which console it was, but you could hold down a certain button and it would boot you directly into that game upon powering up the console. Is that what you mean? I'd like that.

-Arcadia-

Banned
That controller mic is now also completely justified.

Assuming it works well, never having to ever again enter text in a manner that probably rivals old cellphones for the worst method, is brilliant.

Likewise, the seamlessness of being able to talk to your friends with both the UI, and straight from the controller, is pretty nice.

Kupfer

Looks okay, I hope we can customize it more than PS4s' UI to get rid of the bloatware.
My games, settings, PS-store, trophies and friendlist would be the only 5 icons I need.

Yoboman

Can you timestamp that for me? Maybe I missed it. I can't remember which console it was, but you could hold down a certain button and it would boot you directly into that game upon powering up the console. Is that what you mean? I'd like that.
I dunno if this shares the timestsmp but its 1:43

When you start up from rest mode it boots right to the game you've been playing

If you boot up from power off I assume it goes to the main menu

stevenapex

Neo Member
you can't be serious ? he said in the video that today's video is about user experience so he will fast forward to show upload picture mode.
he was choosing a character, like 2s of loading and fast forward so he can show upload picture mode
Just want to chime in with my own findings.

The speed of the accelerated section based on the countdown is 1 frame=1/2second. Therefore, counting loading frames (after the countdown to the first frame of the rendered world) is 6 seconds.

jigglet

Banned
I dunno if this shares the timestsmp but its 1:43

When you start up from rest mode it boots right to the game you've been playing

If you boot up from power off I assume it goes to the main menu

Oh I see. It loads up the game but with the OS overlay still there. I thought that was a dynamic wallpaper or something. I wonder how this is going to work with live service games that don't have a button to "force to connect to server" like Siege. It would mean I'd need to reboot my game every time to get it to connect to servers after resuming.

Last edited:

McCheese

I dunno what to make of the new UI, feels like it's designed for the mobile phone generation who have a low attention span, I'd much rather it be organised so I get to choose if I want to see the games achievements, challenges, screenshots rather than having it all just thrown into one stream.

At the moment it seems like if I want to find a game in progress I'd just have to scroll past a load of random shit like screenshots until I find one.

Positively surprised. The store being integrated directly into the UI is great. Overall, really like what they've showed so far.

Can't believe it wasn't integrated a long time ago tbh.

But watching it again this UI is so slick and fast. Being in 4K helps sell it all as next-gen compared to the old one too.

It’s good they give feedback. It’s weird because recently we were told it’s uninteresting to give feedback on a video and they would like to be able to actually have their hands on it.

Edit : I’m watching the video and it looks like they got a meeting with Sony this time however.
It was ONE member of the team who found the PS5 teardown video uninteresting. DF still put a video out Just like they did with the UI. People are overreacting to DF. They do great work and should be applauded.

Yoboman

Oh I see. It loads up the game but with the OS overlay still there. I thought that was a dynamic wallpaper or something. I wonder how this is going to work with live service games that don't have a button to "force to connect to server" like Siege. It would mean I'd need to reboot my game every time to get it to connect to servers after resuming.
Not sure, I imagine that whole screen is quite customisable for devs if they want to adapt it for their game specific needs

McCarth

Very, very impressive. The activities component is awesome, especially for those of us who just don't game as much as they used to. Third Party devs better get into utilizing those or they won't see my dollars.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I dunno what to make of the new UI, feels like it's designed for the mobile phone generation who have a low attention span, I'd much rather it be organised so I get to choose if I want to see the games achievements, challenges, screenshots rather than having it all just thrown into one stream.

At the moment it seems like if I want to find a game in progress I'd just have to scroll past a load of random shit like screenshots until I find one.
Now we need the UI "deep dive" video that goes through all the settings and customization options. Let us know what we can and can't disable.

But methinks we'll know more right around November 12th.

Last edited:

TonyK

I only had two questions and no one is answered in this video:
- Will there be a multiple games quick resume option like Xbox?
- How does it look the library of digital owned games?

-Arcadia-

Banned
I only had two questions and no one is answered in this video:
- Will there be a multiple games quick resume option like Xbox?
- How does it look the library of digital owned games?

Found the absence of the first interesting myself.

It could very well just be Sony continuing to play coy with info, then delight everyone by dropping it.

GermanZepp

That objective thing will be abandoned within a month from devs or whoever is responsible for it. There was a feature like that supposed to be in the ps4 and it never happened.

But other than that, I like it. Looks great to me

In the age of gaas, free to play, multiplayer that feature will be huge. More to your face, look what you will miss if you dont grind.

I personally dont care for it.

T-Cake

I love game boxart. Being a digital only buyer, I never really get to see it. So I wanted the icons for the games to be even bigger than they are on PS4. The fact they're even smaller, saddens me. There's a lot of empty space filled by a background wallpaper which could be any generic screenshot. Meh.

Dargor

It has some cool features, the tips thingy being one of them.

I could see myself using it in games like God of War, where I needed to find some stuff and had to google it on my phone.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I guess the tips thing will be good for those games where you almost have the plat but just have a few collectibles you didn't find and don't feel like following some 12 minute youtube video for a 20 second procedure.

bargeparty

yrBtF58.png

i do feel too much is going on tbf

Your opinion is wrong, sorry.

As someone else said that particular shot is a new* PS5 what's going on type section. If you look at one of the game icons it's pretty clean with the usual "background image of game, details about this game, press play" type stuff. As you scroll down further it hides the upper icons to create an even more minimal look.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Sackboy looks charming. The picture in picture is a nice touch. And also the trophy hunting feature where you can jump to that part of the game...that's dope.

Not doing the Game Help thing. Cuz I'm not a filthy casual.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Well, good to know that we can't take you seriously anymore. I've used both consoles since "inception" so you're living in your own little world; I do want to mention that I have noted your word choice above (escape clause? 😂)

I use the first word that comes to my mind, english is not my main language. Wouldnt try to find anything there.

The added in-game functionality seems nice, but I'd rather a more visually standardized, streamlined, and less dynamic main interface, instead of the current trend of changing backgrounds and floating windows everywhere. I'm also more interested in seeing the system-level menus, rather than how potentially easy it is to buy things (which, of course, is more Sony's concern).

This is where it starts... You probably didn't notice because it's so seamless.

I got bored halfway through the vid and started skipping. The problem with all of this stuff, is that my impression so far is that everything they're so proud of here, will slow down my experience. The PS button not pausing the game is gonna be an annoyance to me. All this junk in the way is an annoyance. I really hope they add options to customize your menu to remove all this fluff, because I just don't care.

I'm a grown man with a family, all my friends are the same, none of us have time to sit and bother with social features. I sit down to play a game. Mostly on my own. That's it. People like me make up a very large portion of gamers who actually spend money, but we're not being catered to at all, which I find a bit odd.

Since when has pushing the PS button paused anything?

FunkMiller

Found the absence of the first interesting myself.

It could very well just be Sony continuing to play coy with info, then delight everyone by dropping it.

That’s exactly what they have planned. Quick resume was a much touted feature on Ps4. There’s no way it wouldnt have the better version of it on Ps5, especially with all those other UI bells and whistles they’ve shown us.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
This bit here has me a little worried - he has to navigate past 9 cards before he can choose a new game? I wish they demoed simply switching between games in your library as that will be the most common use case, I'd like to see how many clicks that takes:

On my PS4 I simply press Home then one tile to the right is the 2nd last game I played. I'm hoping it's roughly the same process.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
This bit here has me a little worried - he has to navigate past 9 cards before he can choose a new game? I wish they demoed simply switching between games in your library as that will be the most common use case, I'd like to see how many clicks that takes:

On my PS4 I simply press Home then one tile to the right is the 2nd last game I played. I'm hoping it's roughly the same process.

The control center is more like a better quick menu(long press on the ps button), you can still access the home where games are.

Top Bottom