• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First images from The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Melfice7

Why should race matter in a fictional world filled with magical creatures that never existed?

If this would be about real life and they would change the race of historic figures….now that would be problematic.

But this is fantasy. So who cares.

Except they do it with historical figures on multiple shows...and being fantasy doesnt means you can do whatever you want when theres established lore for milllennia. It's pretty simple, wanna do whatever you want? do something new and let the market decide if its good or not but this nonsense of trying to change existing things, fantasy AND real, needs to stop

8bitpill

Just a simple change and they could have stayed on course with the canon of the novels.

E12yZJt.jpg

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I dont like the race-swapping either. It makes the whole thing seem so phony and PC.
I was never much of a LotR fan anyway. I liked the first movie back in the day, but generally I prefer more sex and violence in my fantasy stuff (like Game of Thrones... when it was good).

They aren't race swapping any known characters. They're adding in new diverse characters

jason10mm

Gold Member
I wonder if they will justify some of this casting by having "southron" dwarves or whatnot. That kinda thing would be perfectly fine for the humans, have them be ambassadors to Numenor or something. But I've always imagined elves and dwarves to be more of a homogenous species, even more so for hobbits, are there ANY outside of the shire? I guess the smeagol race was pretty hobbitlike. Dwarves don't have to be played by white actors, but they should be pretty similar in appearance to each other IMHO.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I wonder if they will justify some of this casting by having "southron" dwarves or whatnot. That kinda thing would be perfectly fine for the humans, have them be ambassadors to Numenor or something. But I've always imagined elves and dwarves to be more of a homogenous species, even more so for hobbits, are there ANY outside of the shire? I guess the smeagol race was pretty hobbitlike. Dwarves don't have to be played by white actors, but they should be pretty similar in appearance to each other IMHO.
Hobbits are originally from a region near the anduin River (kind of near where Galadriel lives). Smeagols WAS a hobbit btw. There are three...ethnicities..? of Hobbits. Most Hobbits live in the shire, but some did in fact live in nearby areas. Buckland is arguably outside the Shire. And there were some halflings living in Bree. Frodo's group befriend a pair of Hobbits working at the Prancing Pony in the book named Bob and Nob

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Did you watch the movies or read the books? Smeagol was a hobbit

Javthusiast

Banned
Wait... They're affiliated with Abrams?

Ok... Uncertainty creeping in now...
They said because of barely any credits to their name they didn't think Amazon would give them the lotr franchise they paid over a billion for. But Jar Jar Abrams vouched for them.

Also:

The Rings of Power executive producer Lindsey Weber explained in a puff piece for Vanity Fair the show altered and race swapped multiple characters in order to “reflect what the world actually looks like.

Weber explained these casting changes stating, ““It felt only natural to us that an adaptation of Tolkien’s work would reflect what the world actually looks like.”

She argued, “Tolkien is for everyone. His stories are about his fictional races doing their best work when they leave the isolation of their own cultures and come together.”

Apparently it wasn't for everyone before, nobody could like it because it didn't reflect the real world.

Last edited:
Ok. There were never any black and brown people in Europe ever and still aren't and, if there are, they're all tourists.

Thank you for the education, oh wise one.
Weak, weak, weak counter-argument. It shows that you have no leg to stand on. You argue in bad faith all the time - it’s like you cannot go against your opinions even when presented with a proper argument.

Galadriel was always a badass.

She was one of firstborn from Valinor, and told Fëanor to go fuck himself. She also was the handmaiden to a demi-Goddess. Being born in Aman, and rubbing shoulders with all these powerful beings, Galadriel would have been imbued with the light of Valinor … she would essentially have super powers. By the second age she would be beyond armour and swords and such things, and view such crude tools with distaste.
And yet, here we are - Galadriel in armour and wielding a sword.

Wimbledon

This is the kind've stuff that's becoming irritating. Tolkien's world was for everyone, and what i mean by that is just because CERTAIN groups weren't originally in it, does not mean that no one appreciated it. IT WAS BELOVED BY EVERYONE!

I was very much interested in the world when i was kid and loved the films. I didn't need to see my self-represented just because i didn't see a black face, I still fell in love with the world and characters Aragon is one my favorite characters looked up to him and we look nothing alike. I wish entertainment would stop this, i really wish they would stop trying to insert groups or beliefs into worlds where they don't fit. I'm a big advocate of following the original author's vision and work.

We don't always have to be represented in a work, and not every work needs TO SEND A MESSAGE (insert powerful female Femnisist mary sue here) and that's fine stick to what the original work is. Because guess what people would still love the series if you stick to its lore.

Not saying that they're following lore here but it's getting tiring, "let's make up new lore with the new diverse characters who weren't originally part of the world, strong wahmen who knows what to do over weak willed man, see we make story better".

His work is based on Germanic people, high fantasy fables, the racial groups are the different humanoid races. Whenever they do stuff like this i just feel like there taking opportunities from people.

LOTR is not America its not a melting pot are they going to insert other groups as well? Like it's just silly to me. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Judge Judy Reaction GIF by Agent M Loves Gifs

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
This is the kind've stuff that's becoming irritating. Tolkien's world was for everyone, and what i mean by that is just because CERTAIN groups weren't originally in it, does not mean that no one appreciated it. IT WAS BELOVED BY EVERYONE!

I was very much interested in the world when i was kid and loved the films. I didn't need to see my self-represented just because i didn't see a black face, I still fell in love with the world and characters Aragon is one my favorite characters looked up to him and we look nothing alike. I wish entertainment would stop this, i really wish they would stop trying to insert groups or beliefs into worlds where they don't fit. I'm a big advocate of following the original author's vision and work.

We don't always have to be represented in a work, and not every work needs TO SEND A MESSAGE (insert powerful female Femnisist mary sue here) and that's fine stick to what the original work is. Because guess what people would still love the series if you stick to its lore.

Not saying that they're following lore here but it's getting tiring, "let's make up new lore with the new diverse characters who weren't originally part of the world, strong wahmen who knows what to do over weak willed man, see we make story better".

His work is based on Germanic people, high fantasy fables, the racial groups are the different humanoid races. Whenever they do stuff like this i just feel like there taking opportunities from people.

LOTR is not America its not a melting pot are they going to insert other groups as well? Like it's just silly to me. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Judge Judy Reaction GIF by Agent M Loves Gifs

Further, just because Tolkien's world was indeed for everyone, it shouldn't give license for everyone to do whatever the fuck they want with it and bastardise the world that Tolkien (and his son) lovingly and painstakingly created.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It's not the same at all. None of the established characters have been race or gender swapped, and nowhere in any of the books does it say that dwarves, elves, and humans can only be white.

And who are we to say that the source material is being disrespected, when the Tolkien Estate and Tolkien Trust are alright with it?

Christopher Tolkien was probably most responsible for making sure that any IPs based on the work of his father would meet certain standards. He spent his entire life bringing unpublished/unfinished works of his father back into the light. But Christopher Tolkien died at the ripe old age of 95 and his heirs probably think different about the matter. My guess is they're much, much more interested in making tons of money than in making sure TV shows/movie don't make a mockery out of the source material.

Kimahri

Banned
Christopher Tolkien was probably most responsible for making sure that any IPs based on the work of his father would meet certain standards. He spent his entire life bringing unpublished/unfinished works of his father back into the light. But Christopher Tolkien died at the ripe old age of 95 and his heirs probably think different about the matter. My guess is they're much, much more interested in making tons of money than in making sure TV shows/movie don't make a mockery out of the source material.
I'd like to just point out that Christopher Tolkien stepped as director of Tolkien Estate the very same year the rights were sold to Amazon.

If something smells rotten it's because it is.

OZ9000

Banned
Woke Of The Rings

Woke culture is fucking trash and is ruining everything.

And this new trend of subservient men with alpha women in TV shows and movies is getting boring.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

I have no problem with yellow, black or pink dwarves, the problem is it will be inherently linked to gender and race since people are unable to look at it through neutral lenses:

Black dwarf: OMG, PoC representation
Pink dwarf: OMG, trans representation , let me write a trans fanfic

It’s cannot be this:
Black dwarf: his/her skin is burned
Pink dwarf: Wants to be recognisable on the battlefield

Catphish

You do realise each show is it's own thing? One show is not like the other. Amazon, Disney+, Netflix, HBO, Showtime and Starz etc all have various shows with various qualities.
Yes. I realize that.

Doesn’t change how I feel about it.

Top Bottom