• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Details on New PlayStation 5 VR controllers

Three

No, it's just like the Oculus controller.

Basically, some of the buttons and surfaces will be able to detect if your finger is simply resting on them ( but without actually pushing the button ). This is useful for when you want to point with your index finger or give a thumbs up in VR.
To be honest I have no experience or knowledge about the Oculus controller.
In this Sony prototype video though they detect things like spread which is impossible with just surface detection, right?

I guess this Sony prototype using proximity sensors is different to the one in these new controllers?

Last edited:

kyliethicc

No excuses this gen for not having full fat vr games. Especially driving.
Imagine if they created a full Gran Turismo VR game that even had hand tracked wheel driving & manual shifting.. that'd be very cool. It'd be crazy cool if I could "hold" and move the virtual wheel with my hands in VR but also then use the triggers as paddle shifters... but I guess they'd need to make a pedal accessory for braking & acceleration.

One can dream.

SilentUser

I disagree 100%!!!! A software showcase is coming. Probably around E3 timeframe. This is how Sony builds hype for their products. You all should be used to this by now. They know how to do this.
Talking about software, I would love some Resistance and Killzone PSVR2 haha. VR excites me a lot, my brother have a Oculus one and it is amazing, will probably buy a PSVR2 one day.

TwistedSyn

So having the face buttons separated is interesting. Think it might be a lot easier to navigate them now than on one PS move controller.

01_withnotice-scaled.jpg

Last edited:

Flyinmunky

Look bit too bulky and lack of strap like index to so you cant just let go/ relax your hands, shame.

Strap is just like basic wii mote etc

Last edited:

Interfectum

I disagree 100%!!!! A software showcase is coming. Probably around E3 timeframe. This is how Sony builds hype for their products. You all should be used to this by now. They know how to do this.
I feel like Sony is in a Disney+ situation here. They aren't lighting up the news cycles daily with game news, they hold back and counter 100 Xbox news stories with 1 mega news drop. It's risky but it's served them well so far. They have the IP, they have the mega-mic drops and can use them when it suits them.

MS is going with the approach of "hey community we love you, tell us what you want next" vs Sony's "we are going to tell you what you want"

Both are valid and fun to watch.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I feel like Sony is in a Disney+ situation here. They aren't lighting up the news cycles daily with game news, they hold back and counter 100 Xbox news stories with 1 mega news drop. It's risky but it's served them well so far. They have the IP, they have the mega-mic drops and can use them when it suits them.

MS is going with the approach of "hey community we love you, tell us what you want next" vs Sony's "we are going to tell you what you want"

Exactly! It's the same marketing approach that both had coming into this current gen (PS5 and Xbox Series X). MS went with a 100 news stories per month and Sony went with a 3 big news story every couple months strategy. In the long term, I think Sony had the better strategy. But many will disagree.

Papacheeks

Banned
It fits the reveal and so soon the new details.
It is basically setting the launch date.

Seems like we will get new details every month until holiday release... price and date reveled around June.

They just sent out devkits couple months ago. It's going to be a while if it does come out late 2021 don't expect tons of new vr games. Maybe they soft launch it which is why they are giving away so many VR titles recently?

I mean it could, but I would have to wonder that the new game Naughty Dog is working on is for this reveal. That won't be till later, unless all the dev kit talk was for final kits going out? If thats the case then they are farther ahead than I thought and late 2021 could be possible. I just think software wise they would want top end software to go along with it which to me is 2022.

Wonko_C

What does this mean actually? I move the head, so controller will move my hand in that direction? :D
It means you won't need to setup any cameras like with the previous gen PSVR.

Yeah, it does make more sense from your and others' POV, but I dunno, as soon as I was in VR and the game stopped looking realistic and very much a game, that was kinda it for me. The illusion was broken: this is just a game.

I know that only makes so much sense given that in the alternative situation I'm just sitting on a couch staring at a big screen, but there it is...
Basically you mean it breaks immersion then.

I never treated VR as "being inside other realities", more like I wanted to be inside video games (ever since I saw Tron as a kid). I'm just weird like that and don't play for immersion, but for the interactivity and new gameplay possibilities, with the added bonus that everything is scaled relative to your body.

Sometimes I do feel a some of curiosity mixed with a bit of jealousy for those who are able to lose themselves into a game, it has never happened to me, never to the point where (according to some players) they forget they're in front of a screen, and the room and everything around it just fades out completely. Even while playing VR I still have a certain degree of awareness of my surroundings, I probably should be thankful of that because it helps me avoid breaking stuff. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Romulus

I feel like Alyx is still literally the only flagship VR title right now, even though there's a ton of games that are simply "great".

And considering those great VR games and Alyx, that's pretty amazing. I feel like there have been consoles that went an entire lifetime without a true flagship title, much less several great games along with it. VR has around 10-15 total sales and it's already got better games than quite a few consoles.

Astorian

I never understood why some people want news from these companies every month, if there is nothing substantial to say then don't.

Hunnybun

It means you won't need to setup any cameras like with the previous gen PSVR.

Basically you mean it breaks immersion then.

I never treated VR as "being inside other realities", more like I wanted to be inside video games (ever since I saw Tron as a kid). I'm just weird like that and don't play for immersion, but for the interactivity and new gameplay possibilities, with the added bonus that everything is scaled relative to your body.

Sometimes I do feel a some of curiosity mixed with a bit of jealousy for those who are able to lose themselves into a game, it has never happened to me, never to the point where (according to some players) they forget they're in front of a screen, and the room and everything around it just fades out completely. Even while playing VR I still have a certain degree of awareness of my surroundings, I probably should be thankful of that because it helps me avoid breaking stuff. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Yeah it's really interesting. It's so hard to truly understand what other people experience.

E.g. I just find it baffling how anyone can prefer native 4K to 60fps on these consoles. If what they experience is the same as me, then that just seems like objectively the wrong choice lol.

So I have to infer that their experience is different. But why, how? What's the science behind it?

Most people say I'm unusually calm and analytical in temperament, so you wouldn't think I'd get easily lost in escapist experiences. All I can really say is I found exploring that house in RE7 fucking terrifying. To the point where I really had to force myself to turn round, or open doors etc.

Romulus

I think the thing PSVR2 could do to really stand out now is not chase resolution. Sure have better lenses and higher resolution, but imo what would really be a gamechanger is a surprisingly high FOV. Not Primax high but something far greater than the competition.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
And considering those great VR games and Alyx, that's pretty amazing. I feel like there have been consoles that went an entire lifetime without a true flagship title, much less several great games along with it. VR has around 10-15 total sales and it's already got better games than quite a few consoles.

I would say it's good, not amazing. We're still a long, long way from VR being popular enough to see more flagship titles, most people don't even own a 4K TV.

And "just good" is fine, it's a slow and steady race, but all it's going to take is a few flops before Sony pulls out. If ND and Insomniac get pumped full of money to make VR titles and those games just don't do well, I feel the plug will be pulled.

Romulus

I would say it's good, not amazing. We're still a long, long way from VR being popular enough to see more flagship titles, most people don't even own a 4K TV.

And "just good" is fine, it's a slow and steady race, but all it's going to take is a few flops before Sony pulls out. If ND and Insomniac get pumped full of money to make VR titles and those games just don't do well, I feel the plug will be pulled.

I'm just saying it's amazing considering the VR install base. There were like 2 million pcvr headsets when Alyx came out. For the amount of users, the amount of great games is amazing imo.

Boss Mog

I believe it will launch in holiday... this year.
Sony specifically said not before 2022. They need to get PS5s to people before they can sell them PSVR2. My guess is that it won't be before holiday 2022 to give devs time to have a bunch of games ready. If it launches with Half-Life: Alyx and Astro Bot 2, it is sure to get off to a good start.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Wasn't expecting more PSVR2 news so soon, but these look super promising!

I'm imagining playing the Sniper Elite VR game with these and how amazing it could be.

To be honest I have no experience or knowledge about the Oculus controller.
In this Sony prototype video though they detect things like spread which is impossible with just surface detection, right?

I guess this Sony prototype using proximity sensors is different to the one in these new controllers?

No it won't be like that. That video is more like the Index controller.

If you get a chance to try an Oculus controller then you'll know basically exactly how the PSVR2 controller will be.

Based on your video it looks like Sony was looking into Index like controllers but then changed their mind at some point and went the Oculus route instead.

Last edited:

Rudius

Also the PSVR is healthier late in it's cycle then consoles like the Vita and Wii U were.

Just a quick glance but they look/sound good. Wish MS would get onboard with console VR for the XSX--at least just support some existing headsets.

Sony should send a ICE VR team to take two to help recode RDR2's first person mode to work entirely within the VR platform. If Sony gets the resolution specs correct this could replace the TV as the best visual medium to game on. Understand that the endgame for VR/AR is the end of the age of the TV.

Romulus

If Sony gets the resolution specs correct this could replace the TV as the best visual medium to game on. Understand that the endgame for VR/AR is the end of the age of the TV.

Try telling that to someone who hasn't tried high end VR. It's a confusing statement if you haven't tried it
I honestly just feel it will be the vastly superior way to game, but there will be millions of hold outs for a decade or more.
The thing is, sony just has to get close to a Rift S experience(outdated tech now) and it will literally feel like stepping into a new dimension compared to the current psvr. Probably a 3 generational leap when you consider the ps5 powering it, tracking, and controllers. But quite honestly this will likely be superior to the Rift S in every way. It should be.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Not about ammo, I'd be happy enough if they just took sizable stakes in each to protect against takeovers. Maybe get a few exclusives out of it.

I just don't want MSFT buying up those companies I enjoy the games of.
I know your concern. But let's be honest ms can buy anyone that is available to sell to them. Do you want sony to just panic buy and then cant manage them properly?

The industry wont run out of developers and publishers.

Portugeezer

I like the design, might be time to finaly try VR this time.

Btw,

Rip eks people.
Given that they're shapes, cross makes sense.... but it doesn't matter, it will always be eks, just like on Nintendo and Xbox controllers (even though they actually have letters and not symbols).

The guy who also made the .gif also said it's pronounced with a j but he can go suck a nut it's a hard g for most people.

Top Bottom